Do you prefer training with or without training partner?

HotAce

HotAce

Awards
I used to have a training buddy, it didn't quite work out for me (sorry about a pun).
What's your experience with this?

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Depends, most of the time I prefer to lift by myself but I do like to have someone with me when I go heavy to spot me. If I had someone that was in my size, strength level and had the same goals as me it would be great to have one to push me.

I have 1 guy like that, he’s a little stronger and a little better than me so I love to workout with him, unfortunately he’s in another city so we only have the chance to workout together a few times a year...

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Alone with an occasional training camp to meet up and have fun.

But prefer at my own pace with no distractions.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
If you can get guys together for like a compound movement/main lift it can be cool, but that is really it for me.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I have trained for so long by myself and I do like it, that being said it would be nice sometimes to have someone to help preform drop sets.

Evelone

Evelone

Awards
I tried training with a few friends, didn't like it much mostly due to little things like scheduling or someone being late.

seanmitchell12

Awards
I often like to listen music while training, it motivates me while i'm doing hard workout.

jrock645

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Without. I hate talking at the gym. It’s like meditation and I hate any interruption. I’m either getting into my head, or trying to get out of it, and don’t want to be concerned with what someone else is doing. It’s my time.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
If you can find that unicorn training buddy who is pushing the same routine, same goals, etc then man that's awesome. But I have found this to be an impossible task, so I prefer without at this point.

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
A good bromance can be better than a solo mission as you can motivate and push one another. I trained with a child hood friend in my late teens and early 20's. We knew each other like brothers, had the same mentality/goals and were learning and sharing ideas on training ,nutrition as we went. It was all business once we walked through the doors and having similar strength levels made loading the bar convenient. There was no need for music because while I was resting I'd be busy yelling at him to work harder or setting up and vice versa. I reckon we both made the best gains of our lives at that time. Then **** happened and we couldn't train together much anymore so I went it solo and have been doing so for 7 years. It's very hard to find someone with a similar mindset/approach to training and with a compatible schedule.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I would love a training partner - if they were committed, had similar goals, strength, training time...etc! Unfortunately like a few of you said- it seems to be more partners you end up feeling like their personal trainer and trying to train yourself at the same time. That can slow you down and hold you back a bit. I have only trained with a few friends(guys) on random occasion that actually helped to push me for drop sets, failure sets, and spotting. So, I typically prefer training alone since the later is much harder to come by- especially girls.

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I would love a training partner - if they were committed, had similar goals, strength, training time...etc! Unfortunately like a few of you said- it seems to be more partners you end up feeling like their personal trainer and trying to train yourself at the same time. That can slow you down and hold you back a bit. I have only trained with a few friends(guys) on random occasion that actually helped to push me for drop sets, failure sets, and spotting. So, I typically prefer training alone since the later is much harder to come by- especially girls.
What sometimes works for my wife an I is is we do our own strength lifting and then do a conditioning wod together. Last night for instance we did a little 12 minute EMOTM. 20 double unders and max effort squat cleans every minute on the minute. It's a a really nice way to push each other through conditioning. But when it's just strength training, a squat session could take me an hour and she's done in like 25 minutes so she may do accessory work while I finish before we do conditioning together.

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What sometimes works for my wife an I is is we do our own strength lifting and then do a conditioning wod together. Last night for instance we did a little 12 minute EMOTM. 20 double unders and max effort squat cleans every minute on the minute. It's a a really nice way to push each other through conditioning. But when it's just strength training, a squat session could take me an hour and she's done in like 25 minutes so she may do accessory work while I finish before we do conditioning together.
That’s great!!! I’m with you on the hour for training! Training with guys is typically more fun tbh! Most of my female friends that workout are inconsistent, not interested in pushing themselves AT ALL, and won’t train alone. Hubby doesn’t workout at all either.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I workout alone, but I can see both sides. If I found someone locally who I got along with reasonably well and had similar goals and motivation - of course that could be great. But that person is a unicorn. The closest I ever got was a buddy in high school. We really pushed each other and knew how to spot each other to get the person under the weight to push just a little harder. But he was very inconsistent and it was hard to get him to be reliable.

Working out alone is great, but sometimes it would be good to have someone for forced reps or just to yell at you when you are slacking a little.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I workout alone, but I can see both sides. If I found someone locally who I got along with reasonably well and had similar goals and motivation - of course that could be great. But that person is a unicorn. The closest I ever got was a buddy in high school. We really pushed each other and knew how to spot each other to get the person under the weight to push just a little harder. But he was very inconsistent and it was hard to get him to be reliable.

Working out alone is great, but sometimes it would be good to have someone for forced reps or just to yell at you when you are slacking a little.
I COULD SEND YOU AN NASTY EMAIL WHEN YOU ARE BEING A SPINELESS JELLY FISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dustin07

Dustin07

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
where 2 subscribe to nasty email service?

-asking for a spineless jellyfish....

😂🤣

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
where 2 subscribe to nasty email service?

-asking for a spineless jellyfish....

🤣
Haha no joke! Sometimes tough love is needed!!

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I belonged to a hardcore gym in the 80's and that Spineless Jellyfish started there.

phillip5324

Awards
Sometimes I prefer training with partner, but I often like to listen motivational music while training, Therefore I often like training without partner.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I just hope I can train with my Grandson some day !