Do you agree with this regarding Metal?

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Seems like metal keeps getting worse and worse. More bands are selling out to the industry and making their music more of a mix between "pop" and metal to appeal to the radio. Metalcore is the most common nowadays, too and I honestly don't like new age metalcore, all sounds the same.

Got to give props to bands like Slayer(Even though, as a Christian, I hate what they represent ). They never sold out. Megadeth too even though Risk was questionable but afterwards they came back to their original roots.

I really like unblack metal and other unique types like Viking metal, but that's not too mainstream either except for Amon Amarth.

PS, I Prevail sucks lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I actually like a lot of the Metalcore, or RapCore, however I have extremely eclectic taste and as long as it is intense and has a driving beat it can find it's way to my workout playlist. I have never been a purist or only into metal though. I loved metal, had the long hair and thrashed all day to Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica and the like. However I liked Rap, and even New Wave so listening to a band that can mix any of those genres successfully to me is good stuff too. Now would I say it is good metal as in the metal I grew up with. No, it is a different animal but I do enjoy it. I like some of the Viking metal but some of it is just too screamy and I can't understand anything that is being said but I love the music behind it.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
For a genre not supported by the masses it is extremely hard to make a living with metal...harder than before.

There is still good stuff though.

Listen to Gojira’s The Heaviest Matter in the Universe” and tell me that’s not good ****

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
For a genre not supported by the masses it is extremely hard to make a living with metal...harder than before.

There is still good stuff though.

Listen to Gojira’s The Heaviest Matter in the Universe” and tell me that’s not good ****
Very true and yeah brother, I love Gojira

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I actually like a lot of the Metalcore, or RapCore, however I have extremely eclectic taste and as long as it is intense and has a driving beat it can find it's way to my workout playlist. I have never been a purist or only into metal though. I loved metal, had the long hair and thrashed all day to Slayer, Megadeth, Metallica and the like. However I liked Rap, and even New Wave so listening to a band that can mix any of those genres successfully to me is good stuff too. Now would I say it is good metal as in the metal I grew up with. No, it is a different animal but I do enjoy it. I like some of the Viking metal but some of it is just too screamy and I can't understand anything that is being said but I love the music behind it.
Hmm , some rap core was pleasant but I don’t stand behind rap or hip hop and think it really doesn’t have a place. Metalcore was good in the OG days of underoath , As I Lay Dying , August Burns Red, Parwkay Drive, etc. just can’t get behind the new stuff

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
My favorites :
NORMA JEAN(ALL TIME BEST , Norma Jean is the best)
Original Metallica , everything before the black album
Death
Mortification
Holy Blood
Original Underoath
Feed Her To The Sharks
Slevtak
August Burns Red
Megadeth
Children of Bodom
Iced Earth

Etc etc too many to list

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Iced earth, testament, overkill and sodom severely underrated old school bands

Nevermore too

Edit: how do I forget Pantera 🤔

Last edited:
rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Machinehead is a weird one. The songs I like I love but Rob(frontman) sometimes does things that have me scratching my head lol

Darkness Within is incredible imo and love the Maiden Cover they do to name a couple

Last edited:

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Machinehead is a weird one. The song I like I love but Rob sometimes does things that bad me scratching my head lol

Darkness Within is incredible imo and love the Maiden Cover they do to name a couple
Never got into Machinehead lol . Rammstein is another weird one and not a fan

I'll check out Darkness Within

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Oh if you never listened to them listen to the song davidan

Rammstein is awesome live...seen then a few times in the early 2000’s late 90’s
I have just realized I love the song Halo by Machine Head . That’s the only one I listened to . Davidan is pretty good

I heard that about Rammstein

Dthcore

Dthcore

Awards
  • Established
I was never super big on metal core. Always more of a deathcore type guy.
Hence my username.

But the metal core I did like was usually a Christian band back in the early 2010-2012 era of metal core.

August Burns Red
For Today
Underoath (obviously)
As I Lay Dying
Destroy the Runner

But most Christian bands I liked were also deathcore like

Underneath The Gun (first album)
With Blood Comes Cleansing
In the midst of lions
Impending Doom
Sovereign Strength (hardcore influenced super punchy music)
Earth From Above
My Children My Bride (old stuff)

Unblack metal is cool
Best band by far is

Antester: The Forsaken (album)

I still listen to a lot of this stuff. But I’ve added more traditional hardcore to the mix, beat down, Blackened Crust, and Power Violence.

If I’m not listening to something heavy I’m listening to Indie Music like

Surfers Curse: Disco

Or New wave Emo like

Origami Angel: Doctor Whomst
(Super Talented dudes)

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The wife’s aunt swears as I lay dying is satanic music lol

For some reason there is a swath of people that assume yelling and distortion were invented by satan

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Why is no one talking about Lamb of God???!

wfreiling

wfreiling

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Hmm , some rap core was pleasant but I don’t stand behind rap or hip hop and think it really doesn’t have a place. Metalcore was good in the OG days of underoath , As I Lay Dying , August Burns Red, Parwkay Drive, etc. just can’t get behind the new stuff
Doesn't really have a place? Confused by this statement. Do you mean on your playlist or a place in music at all? If a place in music at all I would have to argue that fact for certain. It is more popular now than the metal genre is. Not saying it is better or I prefer it just stating a fact. Metal, Rock and all of that is considered to be on the decline, and often not recognized when it comes to awards and what not. The amount of radio stations dedicated to it or amount of play it gets on the radio stations that play popular music is minimal compared to pop, rap and hip-hop. Kind of crazy in my opinion considering the musicianship required to create it.

That being said most modern commercialized Rap I am not impressed with at all. I favor lyrical artist that use a lot of similes, metaphors and word play. I would agree what you hear on the radio is often lame and the best parts of it are the production but anyone could be doing the vocals. However the people who are considered the best don't often get played on the radio and even the ones that do the best of their stuff is not on the radio because it goes over most consumers heads with all of the similes and metaphors.

End of derail... lol

You mentioned some great bands and so have some others and then a lot I have no clue about.

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Seems like metal keeps getting worse and worse. More bands are selling out to the industry and making their music more of a mix between "pop" and metal to appeal to the radio. Metalcore is the most common nowadays, too and I honestly don't like new age metalcore, all sounds the same.

Got to give props to bands like Slayer(Even though, as a Christian, I hate what they represent ). They never sold out. Megadeth too even though Risk was questionable but afterwards they came back to their original roots.

I really like unblack metal and other unique types like Viking metal, but that's not too mainstream either except for Amon Amarth.

PS, I Prevail sucks lol
Try listening to the first three Kutless albums.

Dthcore

Dthcore

Awards
  • Established
I’m not big on that type of metal to be honest. I’ll jam to it live FOR SURE!!! But not in my car or anything else. Closes thing to That I really like is Slipknot, such good music.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Love their new single
Have seen them live
0 Complains with them.

Black Label FTW

I go to at least 10-20 concerts a year

ABR (Seeing them march 10th) --> New single is fire
Bless The Fall
Bodom (RIP) as they broke up
As I Lay Dying (Just saw them)
KillSwitch (Seeing them March 10th)
Light the Torch (Howard Jones band)
Currents
Phinehas
The Word Alive
War of Ages --> Hometown band very good
Ice 9 Kills --> Fantastic Live
Parkway Drive --> one of the best bands to see live
Stick to Your guns --> REALLY good live
Motionless in White --> GREAT live
All That Remains
The Devil Wears Prada
Trivium
UnderOath
Architechs --> Incredible live
Bullet for my valentine
a day to remember --> Incredible Live
Betraying the Martys --> incredible live
Sevenfold --> really went downhill
Of Mice and Men --> Austin's screams are stupid good
Asking Alexandria --> Went downhill

i could list another 2-3 dozen
no issues with them or their new stuff, but when you have been putting out music for 10+ years it will be impossible to make bangers from the past.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Love their new single
Have seen them live
0 Complains with them.

Black Label FTW

I go to at least 10-20 concerts a year

ABR (Seeing them march 10th) --> New single is fire
Bless The Fall
Bodom (RIP) as they broke up
As I Lay Dying (Just saw them)
KillSwitch (Seeing them March 10th)
Light the Torch (Howard Jones band)
Currents
Phinehas
The Word Alive
War of Ages --> Hometown band very good
Ice 9 Kills --> Fantastic Live
Parkway Drive --> one of the best bands to see live
Stick to Your guns --> REALLY good live
Motionless in White --> GREAT live
All That Remains
The Devil Wears Prada
Trivium
UnderOath
Architechs --> Incredible live
Bullet for my valentine
a day to remember --> Incredible Live
Betraying the Martys --> incredible live
Sevenfold --> really went downhill
Of Mice and Men --> Austin's screams are stupid good
Asking Alexandria --> Went downhill

i could list another 2-3 dozen
no issues with them or their new stuff, but when you have been putting out music for 10+ years it will be impossible to make bangers from the past.
Great list. Love older Parkway Drive too and definitely War of Ages

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Try listening to the first three Kutless albums.
Worship music. I do like some others too

For All Eternity made a GREAT single . Beyond the gates.... BEYOND THE GATES. That's where were trying to be . This life is beautiful , but there will be no pain in Eternity

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Doesn't really have a place? Confused by this statement. Do you mean on your playlist or a place in music at all? If a place in music at all I would have to argue that fact for certain. It is more popular now than the metal genre is. Not saying it is better or I prefer it just stating a fact. Metal, Rock and all of that is considered to be on the decline, and often not recognized when it comes to awards and what not. The amount of radio stations dedicated to it or amount of play it gets on the radio stations that play popular music is minimal compared to pop, rap and hip-hop. Kind of crazy in my opinion considering the musicianship required to create it.

That being said most modern commercialized Rap I am not impressed with at all. I favor lyrical artist that use a lot of similes, metaphors and word play. I would agree what you hear on the radio is often lame and the best parts of it are the production but anyone could be doing the vocals. However the people who are considered the best don't often get played on the radio and even the ones that do the best of their stuff is not on the radio because it goes over most consumers heads with all of the similes and metaphors.

End of derail... lol

You mentioned some great bands and so have some others and then a lot I have no clue about.
I honestly don't like what most rap represents , but yes there is some which is great. Never really liked combining rap and metal, but there have been some great pioneers.

Most of the rap/hip hop now is degenerate to say the least. Metal also has some degenerate bands, but most of it is pretty meaningful

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

I dont know why I love this, but I just do. So much emotion and truth

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

Unblack metal Antestor

Unblack - Divine Symphony

Regular newer black metal

Last edited:

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Great band and really cool too. Seen them a few times at local shows my friends opened
That’s looks awesome lol.

I’ve only been to one concert and it was free , held at a church . The band was Disciple 2 years ago. Was so great

Forgot to mention Disciple

Want to try and go to a couple this summer

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
That’s looks awesome lol.

I’ve only been to one concert and it was free , held at a church . The band was Disciple 2 years ago. Was so great

Forgot to mention Disciple

Want to try and go to a couple this summer
I saw Disciple with Seventh Day Slumber about 2 years ago.

Great show.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Another metal fan here, but not much that has been mentioned here.
Retro Metal: Primal Fear and Judas Priest
Unblack: A Hill to Die Upon
Death: SepticFlesh and Krisiun
Melodic Death: Omnium Gatherum and Fractal Gates
Other: Neurotech (songs like Below These Scars, Blue Screen Planet, As Will Ascends and The Catalyst)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I honestly don't like what most rap represents , but yes there is some which is great. Never really liked combining rap and metal, but there have been some great pioneers.

Most of the rap/hip hop now is degenerate to say the least. Metal also has some degenerate bands, but most of it is pretty meaningful
Yeah that's not the rap/hip hop I really like. However you are right most of the popular stuff it completely degenerate. Turns most people off to the entire genre and the good stuff is not played on the radio due to not being commercial enough. Quite similar to most of the bands being listed here. You have to be into the genre to be exposed to them. Again though this is a metal thread so on with the thrashing of heads! :)

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Man, just started listening to For Today. Simply amazing , absolutely amazing.