Discouraged and confused - cut or bulk?

Alt+F4

Back in the gym after 6 months of being a *****
Awards
Here I am - please be nice, this is somewhat embarrassing.

24 years old
6'1", 180lbish
b - 245
s - 275
d - 425

I've been lifting about 2.5 years, but as you can see I'm still not sure what I'm doing. I've become very indicisive...for a few months I'll try to cut down, then get discouraged that I can't lift ****, so I'll try to bulk. Then I'll get fat (which I tend to do VERY easily around the midsection) and get pissed off about that again, and the cycle continues. I've told Bobo 60 times that I'm about ready to do his program, but I change my mind (who'd'a guessed) because I'm worried about fat gain. I know I need some muscle, bad. But I also hate having a little pouch too. I'm willing to sacrifice some size to keep what little semblance of a decent midsection I have, so I guess I should bulk cleanly.

If you were me, what would you do?

Attachments

good_guye28

Awards
  • Established
if you do bobos program you wont gain fat he will bulk you up quite lean.....

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
not even a question bulk ... honestly don't worry about gaining fat .. . its going to happen its not the end of the world ... that's what cutting cycles are for ... sign up with bobo for his muscle building and you probably won't even put on that much fat (although i have no personal experience with his muscle building program) .. but definitely bulk

kwyckemynd00

kwyckemynd00

Awards
  • Established
Bulk. Post your training and diet so we can offer advise.

Alt+F4

Awards
My diet fluctuates based on what mindset I'm currently in. Lately I've been cutting...I was in Florida last week so I did a quick three-week low-carb cut beforehand, and dropped about 11 pounds. Gained a good chunk of it back while on vacation, not so much because of drinking or eating poorly, but only eating a couple meals a day.

I train 5 or so days a week. Usually looks like this:

Tues - Tris (close grip, weighted dips, and either pushdowns/elbows out ext/skulls)
Wed - Legs (back squat, leg press, and either lunges/calves depending on time)
Thurs - Chest (flat db, incline db, flat cable press)
Fri - Shoulders (Arnolds, then two exercises of various lateral raises for six sets total, then smith shrugs - low reps, high sets, heavy weight)
Sat - Back (Deads/Rack Pulls, pullups, and two rowing exercises for a total of six rowing sets)

My nutrition is screwy, I know that's why I'm not gaining muscle. I've been cutting of late, so I usually get around 250-280g protein, 50g fat, 50g carbs. Three solid meals, three whey + fat meals (natty pb or flaxseed gelcaps). I loved the feeling of the low-carb diet, I'm more alert and have more energy, and I don't feel so bloated. Whenever I try to bulk, regardless of how clean I eat, I always feel so fat and bloated - when I first wake up I like how my abs look, but after a bowl of pre-workout oatmeal and a post-workout whey + milk shake (I work out at 5:45am), my abs looks like ****. I hate that.

Oh and I guess I should post my goals too...I don't want to be a powerlifter or a gigantic bodybuilder...as much flack as I catch for this, I'd like the Men's Health cover model look...decent size all around but a visible six pack. God I feel gay typing that.

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
Clean bulk definitely. You got a good base. If nutrition is dialed in you can make some impressive gains without getting fat.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've told Bobo 60 times that I'm about ready to do his program, but I change my mind (who'd'a guessed) because I'm worried about fat gain.
Thats the first time I've ever heard someone worried about that with my program.

Oh well...

Alt+F4

Awards
Thats the first time I've ever heard someone worried about that with my program.

Oh well...
Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that anyone on your programs have gained fat at all, it's just that inside my crooked head I hear 'bulk', and I think 'gut'. Didn't mean to undermine your expertise at all.

But honestly, if you're still taking new customers, I'll be contacting you in a week.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh no, I didn't mean to imply that anyone on your programs have gained fat at all, it's just that inside my crooked head I hear 'bulk', and I think 'gut'. Didn't mean to undermine your expertise at all.

But honestly, if you're still taking new customers, I'll be contacting you in a week.
LOL...I'm just messing with you bro ;)

I understand the fears all too well. I hear that from everyone that wants to bulk :D

Alt+F4

Awards
LOL...I'm just messing with you bro ;)

I understand the fears all too well. I hear that from everyone that wants to bulk :D
I'm so bad at detecting sarcasm online :think:

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm so bad at detecting sarcasm online :think:
Don't sweat it. I should have added a smiley or something.

:drunk:

oldfart

oldfart

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established

Oh well...
I'd do your program Bobo but I'm scared too. I don't wanna end up all ripped and muscley like your avatar.

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!

:eek:

Alt+F4

Awards
[/i]

Was I the only one who found this amusing? :D

Just messin' with that Alt ;)

Did I not warn you that I was indecisive??? :blink:

Part of the reasoning behind this thread was to get a consensus 'JUST DO IT YOU PUSSY' from some of you. Thanks :)

Lean One

Awards
  • Established
JUST DO IT PUSSY!! :rant: :icon_lol:

C'mon people, Join in!! Everybody now... :D

duckway

Board Supporter
Awards
Bro, eat clean, lift and "live strong" :D ... Bobo can definately help you line it out. Bottom line, you definately could use some extra mass up top and on your legs..

glenihan

Awards
  • Established
man gaining fat is half the fun of bulking!

jws8118

Awards
Man I was in the same dilemma as you, but seriously its a head game.
You will never get that "Mens Health Cover Model" Look tryihg to bulk
up without gaining any fat.

One tip to help you keep your six pack while you are bulking though:

Do your abs a couple times a week with weights, always use weights either
cable crunches, declines with a plate on your chest, or
knee crunches with a db btw your feet. Hanging leg raises are good too!
That will bulk your abs out.

jws8118

Awards
Oh yeah, and you dont need to do 25 reps per set, I do
no more than 12-15 tops for weighted ab exercises.

Im up to 205 from 172 in August and still got my six pack
using that routine, and eating fairly clean.

Pirate

Awards
Just do it you pussy!
Thats hilarious....

Just lift, right now, you look good, but you have no need to cut at all. You need more size in your chest, arms and shoulders AND DEFINITLY DO MORE LEGS. Eating is impotant, but you have to lift. You routine is kind of screwy...I dont like how you do tri's 2 days before you bench....you tri's are still probably burnt out. Definitly talk to bobo and give your whole program a tune up.

-Pirate

Andrew69

Board Supporter
Awards
I'd do your program Bobo but I'm scared too. I don't wanna end up all ripped and muscley like your avatar.

Eeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwww!

:eek:
Too late!!
Sorry, back O/T.....Just do it you pussy!

BOHICA

BOHICA

Awards
  • Established
JUST DO IT YOU PUSSY!
:lol:
Concur, I am on Bobo's bulking program now, and I have leaned up tons, and my measurements on arms chest and legs have gone up. Can't complain... especially since we still don't have my diet down perfect yet.

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Just do the pussy...or I mean...

JUST DO IT PUSSY!

Swole

Board Supporter
Awards
Even newbies like me think you should do it.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Alt I will be honest with you. Stop being a woman and bulk up. From the looks of your pics your pretty ecto and your not going to have to worry about it. And only 50 grams of carbs per day? That is definitely not going to get the job done. I have gone through those low carb times and I used to follow it religiously and I made some decent gains with it but nothing compared to what I am doing now with 350+ g of carbs per day

And why the hell would you be worried about fat gain with bobo. He will change your diet during your 8 weeks if you feel that you are starting to gain fat. It is much better than you are doing now where you have no idea whats going on and your not gaining anything. Search for my "newer pumped pic" thread in this forum and youll see what kind of weight i gained. Hell I play football for FSU now because of the help of bobo.

Alt+F4

Awards
Thanks for all the, um, kind words? I think :)

While it was long overdue, I just signed up for Bobo's deluxe muscle gaining plan. Here goes nuthin'.

TheManGuy

Awards
  • Established
I could help you out if you want to stay lean and bilk up. It's all in the diet.

It has to do with your bloodtype, body type and training style etc.

Your training sucks!! You have to revamp that completely.

If you cut, your only gonna feel skinny, so don't.

Bulking is the only way, DO IT YOU PUSSY!!!

cable626

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
yea, make sure you post up your progress in the BOBO forum, all of us will be paying close attention. Good luck!

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
JUST DO IT YOU....:) Aw, Im not mean like that:)

Bulk up man, just bulk clean. Everyone is right, if you're already pretty lean and if you cut now you're going to feel like ****.:)

BV

natedogg

natedogg

Awards
  • Established
What the hell...Bulk you Vagina! Trust me, I've been bulking for 6 years. You look like someone who doesn't gain fat very easily as I don't either. Just go for it.