Diet CRITICAL!

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
I recently had a health screen done while at my workplace. What I found out floored me. I have a family history of this stuff, but didn't think it would happen to me. I need to know what foods to change, or that I must eat to get this under control. I have been eating 5-6 clean meals a day. Typical bb foods. Red meats, protein shakes, complex carbs, and simple carbs only after HIIT weight training. I'm only 31 and I refuse to be on meds. Here is what the results were:

Blood sugar 103
Cholesterol 203/52 3.9 Ratio
Blood Pressure 136/80

My blood sugar, Blood pressure, and LDL is what is my concern here. I know that the LDL is borderline high risk, and my pressure is pre hypertension. My blood sugar is only 4 pts from normal, but this was fasting all night. I have continued to workout 4-5 days a week. What should I change? I never really thought about my insides, only my appearance. Thanks!

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Blood sugar
Being diabetic I have lots of experience on this one.

Firstly, throw 'simple' and 'complex' out the window. You want to ditch any refined carbs and any that are high GI. No dextrose, maltodextrin, waxy maize or any of that crap - even post w/o. I can't begin to tell you how bad that **** is and totally unnecessary.

Stick to brown or long grain rice, potato, yams, legumes, fruit, etc. Careful around pastas, breads, grapes, and dried fruits.

Lastly watch the calories. The more calories you take in, the harder it is to metabolize blood glucose. This happens because the more you eat the more your insulin sensitivity drops. If you dropped your cals by 500 or so and continued to eat clean for a couple days, your fasting results could come back lower.

Cholesterol
No trans fat, less saturated fat, and more omega-3's: cold water fish, walnuts, almonds, flax, etc. Also oatmeal has been shown to help.

Blood Pressure
Maybe start tracking your sodium intake. Most peeps who weight train don't because it is not really related to making gains but it can be significant for health reasons. It really is incredible how much is in processed foods.

If you think there is a trend here, you are correct. Avoid processed foods and processed means just that: cheese, bread, pasta, sandwich meats, etc. Processed just does not mean junk food.

Blutarski

Blutarski

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Blood sugar
Being diabetic I have lots of experience on this one.

Firstly, throw 'simple' and 'complex' out the window. You want to ditch any refined carbs and any that are high GI. No dextrose, maltodextrin, waxy maize or any of that crap - even post w/o. I can't begin to tell you how bad that **** is and totally unnecessary.

Stick to brown or long grain rice, potato, yams, legumes, fruit, etc. Careful around pastas, breads, grapes, and dried fruits.

Lastly watch the calories. The more calories you take in, the harder it is to metabolize blood glucose. This happens because the more you eat the more your insulin sensitivity drops. If you dropped your cals by 500 or so and continued to eat clean for a couple days, your fasting results could come back lower.

Cholesterol
No trans fat, less saturated fat, and more omega-3's: cold water fish, walnuts, almonds, flax, etc. Also oatmeal has been shown to help.

Blood Pressure
Maybe start tracking your sodium intake. Most peeps who weight train don't because it is not really related to making gains but it can be significant for health reasons. It really is incredible how much is in processed foods.

If you think there is a trend here, you are correct. Avoid processed foods and processed means just that: cheese, bread, pasta, sandwich meats, etc. Processed just does not mean junk food.
Great advice, especially in regards to simple carbs PWO. Beans are your friend, and cutting down on carbs and following a lower carb protocol can help with cholesterol no matter how counter intuitive it seems. Good luck.

pcproffy

Awards
See if you can get a gylcemic load? test. You will be given some sugar and then test your blood an hour later to see how well you metabolize it.

You should do everything possible to avoid the drugs. Statins have lots of side effects. Plus studies show that diet and exercise will reduce those numbers better than the drugs.

What is your height, weight, and body fat %, and age? All 3 of your concerns respond well to losing weight.

BabyHulk

BabyHulk

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. Is ezekial bread ok? I usually eat 1-2 slices a day with some natty pb. D@mn I'm gonna lose it not having cheese. As for stats I'm 6"1". 243 @ about 25-26%bf. I don't intend to be on meds at my age or ever for that matter. I thought I was doing everything right but that's why I have this forum. Thanks for the input.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the info. Is ezekial bread ok? I usually eat 1-2 slices a day with some natty pb. D@mn I'm gonna lose it not having cheese. As for stats I'm 6"1". 243 @ about 25-26%bf. I don't intend to be on meds at my age or ever for that matter. I thought I was doing everything right but that's why I have this forum. Thanks for the input.
Check the ingredients on the bread (actually check it on everything). Some have a ton of sodium, some have less. This is the problem with processed foods - they usually have multiple ingredients so the manufacturers can sneak lots of crap in there (salt, dextrose, transfats, etc.)

If you are currently at 25-26% bf then you can probably really improve your results by tweaking your diet and dropping bf by 10%...

pcproffy

Awards
Ya man you have lots of room to slim down. Get to 15% bf or less and I'll bet you're numbers fall in line.