deprenyl (selegaline) vs high-dosed wellbutrin

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I've just had a meeting with my doctor yesterday about switching from 300mg of wellbutrin XL to a properly dosed Deprenyl patch, to get a heaftier boost of dopamine until I go on TRT shortly.

He didn't know much at all about deprenyl, other that he's heard of it, so he didn't feel comfortable prescribing it. Instead, he upped my dosage of wellbutrin to 450mg (which is the max allowable dose). Is this going to significantly raise dopamine, at least second best to deprenyl?

Not quite sure what to expect from 450mg of wellbutrin, in terms of an anti-depressant, dopamine booster (libido), and attention aid. All I know is that this dosage greatly lowers the seizure threshold in patients and can make people more prone to them (if they may be prone to them to begin with).

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
I've just had a meeting with my doctor yesterday about switching from 300mg of wellbutrin XL to a properly dosed Deprenyl patch, to get a heaftier boost of dopamine until I go on TRT shortly.

He didn't know much at all about deprenyl, other that he's heard of it, so he didn't feel comfortable prescribing it. Instead, he upped my dosage of wellbutrin to 450mg (which is the max allowable dose). Is this going to significantly raise dopamine, at least second best to deprenyl?

Not quite sure what to expect from 450mg of wellbutrin, in terms of an anti-depressant, dopamine booster (libido), and attention aid. All I know is that this dosage greatly lowers the seizure threshold in patients and can make people more prone to them (if they may be prone to them to begin with).
Most Drs. will not give you a script for Deprenyl unless you have parkinsons. Wellbutrin is good stuff, but be careful of adrenal fatigue because Wellbutrin raises NE and Dopamine. L-dopa is a great idea and you don't need a Rx, plus it will help you sleep. Wellbutrin will probably mess up your sleep.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Wellbutrin effected my sleep for the first week or two only. Now I seem to be sleeping a lot better and only rarely use things like neurobalance + lean dreams. Maybe twice a week I will take some sleeping aids, if I want to go to sleep earlier than normal.

My dr and I were thinking I will likely ween off the wellbutrin once I start TRT..there will likely be less need for it's help with depression, libido + energy.

I was a bit disappointed about not getting the deprenyl, it seems much more superior / effective than wellbutrin...but it was only going to be a temporary fix anyhow. Maybe I will source my own in time and just keep a low dose of it as part of my staples.

Would it be bad to take L-dopa while on wellbutrin? Too much dopamine?

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Wellbutrin effected my sleep for the first week or two only. Now I seem to be sleeping a lot better and only rarely use things like neurobalance + lean dreams. Maybe twice a week I will take some sleeping aids, if I want to go to sleep earlier than normal.

My dr and I were thinking I will likely ween off the wellbutrin once I start TRT..there will likely be less need for it's help with depression, libido + energy.

I was a bit disappointed about not getting the deprenyl, it seems much more superior / effective than wellbutrin...but it was only going to be a temporary fix anyhow. Maybe I will source my own in time and just keep a low dose of it as part of my staples.

Would it be bad to take L-dopa while on wellbutrin? Too much dopamine?
L-dopa would be cool with Wellbutrin. I have combined wellbutrin with l-Tyrosine for a great effect.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Most Drs. will not give you a script for Deprenyl unless you have parkinsons. Wellbutrin is good stuff, but be careful of adrenal fatigue because Wellbutrin raises NE and Dopamine. L-dopa is a great idea and you don't need a Rx, plus it will help you sleep. Wellbutrin will probably mess up your sleep.
Deprenyl is approved for depression and easy to order online without a prescription. Marc the guru at M&M raves about it.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Deprenyl is approved for depression and easy to order online without a prescription. Marc the guru at M&M raves about it.
Yep, you are right. The main problem with Deprenyl is that it can cause a false positive on a drug test. Not cool if you get random tests all the time. I guess I could say "its the Vicks cold medicine" because it has the same metabolite in it.

ezekiel73

Awards
Deprenyl is approved for depression and easy to order online without a prescription. Marc the guru at M&M raves about it.[/QUOT

Have you guys ever experienced first hand the effects of Deprenyl? I have some on the way from an online pharmacy, but it's a generic brand (much cheaper of course) - I'm kind of regretting going the cheap route, concern being reduced purity leading to reduced efficacy.

I've read mixed reviews of Selegiline ranging from "changed my life forever in minutes" to "worst drug I've ever tried", so it's very difficult to gain an objective perspective relying solely on forum reports.

Anyways, on that same note, has anyone experienced significant antidepressant action from Deprenyl? Has it helped anyone overcome their motivational problems? I'm experiencing big problems with both right now - I'm also a graduate student, so my current depression/amotivation is just about THE WORST combo a full-time student could get afflicted with!! Any and all experiences are welcome!

btw, neuron, in another post you seemed to indicate Deprenyl had a more pronounced effect when taken with PEA - can you elaborate a little please?

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well I've now got my 450mg of wellbutrin XL from my doc, but I've only ever read ppl take up to 400mg. He told me 450 is max dose though, so I'll trust him on that. Going to try it out and see if it agrees with me, any bad sides and I'll drop it back to 300mg.

Just ordered some bulk L-tyrosine too, need to do more research on how much I should be taking alongside the wellbutrin. I'm thinking 5 grams pd. Only planning on doing this for a month or two until my trt is underway...pretty sure it could lead to adrenal fatigue as Hyde was saying.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Well I've now got my 450mg of wellbutrin XL from my doc, but I've only ever read ppl take up to 400mg. He told me 450 is max dose though, so I'll trust him on that. Going to try it out and see if it agrees with me, any bad sides and I'll drop it back to 300mg.

Just ordered some bulk L-tyrosine too, need to do more research on how much I should be taking alongside the wellbutrin. I'm thinking 5 grams pd. Only planning on doing this for a month or two until my trt is underway...pretty sure it could lead to adrenal fatigue as Hyde was saying.
There is one thing that I forgot to mention that you have got to try and its DL-Phenylalanine. I love this stuff make me feel happy instantly. I buy it in bulk form.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Deprenyl is approved for depression and easy to order online without a prescription. Marc the guru at M&M raves about it.[/QUOT

Have you guys ever experienced first hand the effects of Deprenyl? I have some on the way from an online pharmacy, but it's a generic brand (much cheaper of course) - I'm kind of regretting going the cheap route, concern being reduced purity leading to reduced efficacy.

I've read mixed reviews of Selegiline ranging from "changed my life forever in minutes" to "worst drug I've ever tried", so it's very difficult to gain an objective perspective relying solely on forum reports.

Anyways, on that same note, has anyone experienced significant antidepressant action from Deprenyl? Has it helped anyone overcome their motivational problems? I'm experiencing big problems with both right now - I'm also a graduate student, so my current depression/amotivation is just about THE WORST combo a full-time student could get afflicted with!! Any and all experiences are welcome!

btw, neuron, in another post you seemed to indicate Deprenyl had a more pronounced effect when taken with PEA - can you elaborate a little please?
Generic brands are the exact same quality as name brand provided it's produced by a respected drug company.

Deprenyl is an FDA approved antidepressant and I highly recommend it to my patients with certain types of depression.

PEA + deprenyl in clinical studies had a more pronounced antidepressant effect. Normally unless high doses of PEA is taken it is not CNS active due to breakdown by MAO-B. However deprenyl being a selective MAO-B inhibitor in doses under 15 mg daily prevents breakdown and enhances the effect.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Yep, you are right. The main problem with Deprenyl is that it can cause a false positive on a drug test. Not cool if you get random tests all the time. I guess I could say "its the Vicks cold medicine" because it has the same metabolite in it.
Wellbutrin can also cause false positives. However since most jobs don't care if you are taking antidepressants and you are being tested randomly then it would be best to avoid.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Why is it that diet restrictions are not necessary with deprenyl as is necessary with other mao-b inhibitors? I'm not sure if I even understand the reason for the diet restrictions.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Wellbutrin can also cause false positives. However since most jobs don't care if you are taking antidepressants and you are being tested randomly then it would be best to avoid.
Wellbutrin is much easier to get a Rx for though. I was referring to research deprynl without a Rx.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lower dose of both is my preference.

And yes, DLPA is fantastic stuff, especially combined with PEA/Hordenine.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Why is it that diet restrictions are not necessary with deprenyl as is necessary with other mao-b inhibitors? I'm not sure if I even understand the reason for the diet restrictions.
Dietary restriction is needed for MAO-A inhibitors. At MAO-B selective doses it is not required.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dietary restriction is needed for MAO-A inhibitors. At MAO-B selective doses it is not required.
High dose deprenyl will inhibit MAO-A, so keep dosage under around 10mg per day.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
High dose deprenyl will inhibit MAO-A, so keep dosage under around 10mg per day.

Correct the most I would recommend for daily use is 10 mg. 15 mg can be taken daily for up to 3 weeks without causing problems but may be best as needed.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Correct the most I would recommend for daily use is 10 mg. 15 mg can be taken daily for up to 3 weeks without causing problems but may be best as needed.
15mg made me feel like utter crap.

Deprenyl, being a suicide inhibitor, can also be taken several times a week, rather than every day.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
15mg made me feel like utter crap.

Deprenyl, being a suicide inhibitor, can also be taken several times a week, rather than every day.
How so? Just made you sick? Was it at once or spread out? Were there any PEA based compounds in your daily supplements at the time?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How so? Just made you sick? Was it at once or spread out? Were there any PEA based compounds in your daily supplements at the time?
Nope...this was back in 2004, before PEA became readily popular. It's just something I am sensitive to. 5mg a day is a sweet spot for me, or 10mg every 3rd day. More than that makes me completely foggy and my motivation goes bye-bye.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Nope...this was back in 2004, before PEA became readily popular. It's just something I am sensitive to. 5mg a day is a sweet spot for me, or 10mg every 3rd day. More than that makes me completely foggy and my motivation goes bye-bye.
I was not referring to PEA so much as related compounds. ephedrine, stimulants, etc.

I find 1 mg daily to be quite suiting.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Based on what?
Deprynl is for Parkinsons and not depression, therefore unless you have Parkinsons, you are not going to get a script for Deprynl. Drs. will give out anti-depressents like candy though.

Hyde12

Awards
  • Established
Please don't discuss things if you don't know.

Deprenyl is an FDA approved drug for depression. Therefore of course you can get a prescription for it.

Seriously...

FDA Approves Emsam (Selegiline) as First Drug Patch for Depression
You don't have to act like a chode. That is for MAJOR depression and it is very new. Good luck getting a doctor on board with that. You are more likely to get wellbutrin, is all that I was trying to say.

Just like the thread started said:

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I think I might source my own deprenyl and switch to a lower dose (150mg) of wellbutrin while adding in L-tyrosine.

Going to look into adding in DL-Phenylalanine, PEA + hordenine.

Thanks for the tips guys.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Are there any common supplements / drugs to avoid while on deprenyl?

I was told Rhodiola is a common one...which I find in a lot of bb supplements. It has a general MAO inhibiting effect.

Also is deprenyl safe to take with an SSRI?

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Neuron

Neuron

Awards
You don't have to act like a chode. That is for MAJOR depression and it is very new. Good luck getting a doctor on board with that. You are more likely to get wellbutrin, is all that I was trying to say.

Just like the thread started said:
February 28, 2006 is when it was approved. I suppose a few years ago is new. Just do a quick google search next time.

Nothing can quite raise Dopamine levels as potent as a MAO-B inhibitor but it can help.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
Are there any common supplements / drugs to avoid while on deprenyl?

I was told Rhodiola is a common one...which I find in a lot of bb supplements. It has a general MAO inhibiting effect.

Also is deprenyl safe to take with an SSRI?
Anything that can raise blood pressure or is a stimulant is probably best avoided.

Deprenyl is safe with an SSRI provided the dose is 5 mg or lower.

Ziquor

Ziquor

Awards
  • Established
Damn those Redwings...

Last edited:
Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I would assume that sam-e is best avoided while on any of these as well.. Maybe I will pair it with 5-HTP or trypotphan, possibly tradozone if my sleep becomes interrupted.

Neuron

Neuron

Awards
I would assume that sam-e is best avoided while on any of these as well.. Maybe I will pair it with 5-HTP or trypotphan, possibly tradozone if my sleep becomes interrupted.
Keep in mind trazodone is a 5-HT2 receptor antagonist.

While I'm not surprised by the lack of information by some posters above anyone could do alittle more research before stating facts without understanding them.

thenxtgrt1

Awards
I've taken both SAM-e and Deprenyl at low doses. SAM-e at 200 mg / Deprenyl at 5 mg. Just started doing it about a month ago. Seems to be alright thus far.

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
L-dopa would be cool with Wellbutrin. I have combined wellbutrin with l-Tyrosine for a great effect.

Any use in taking the L-dopa along with deprenyl and DLPA. Or is just DLPA the way to go? Thanks in advance.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any use in taking the L-dopa along with deprenyl and DLPA. Or is just DLPA the way to go? Thanks in advance.
It will have strong effects, but be careful combining them.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
lmao check out the wikipedia on wellbutrin. Supposedly it's got a very low abuse potential, yet give it to a monkey or rat (rat, how the hell?) and they learn to shoot themselves up with it on their own will.

According to the US government classification of psychiatric medications, bupropion is "non-abusable"[121] or has low abuse potential.[122] In animal studies, however, squirrel monkeys[123] and rats[124] maintained the intravenous self-administration of bupropion, which may indicate abuse potential. However, significant interspecies differences of bupropion metabolism, particularly between rats and humans, make such extrapolations questionable.[125]

jinxie

jinxie

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
It will have strong effects, but be careful combining them.
I'm looking for the prudent approach. I've taken DLPA by itself, and dont recall much, other than a slight reduction in chronic pain.

I've also read about chocomaine (spelling).

What would be the best first step to get the PEA higher and lasting longer. And of course, money is an issue. I already have plenty of deprenyl.

Always looking for better sleep, so if taking L-dopa at night helps, I'd be willing to go on a trial of that too.

Suggested dosages would help.

TIA.

JamieVegas

Awards
Deprenyl did absolutely nothing for me. Dosed at 2mg per day for one month. Took a few weeks off, went back on at 10mg per day for two weeks. That gave me headaches. No positives.

Athletix

Athletix

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established

Why exactly are you taking these things? It appears you are trying to get some sort of added dopaminergic benefit other than an antidepressant effect but I cannot tell. If you are maxed out on bupropion and still feeling depressed you need to switch to a different agent. Since depression has such a wide array of effects on so many receptor type such as 5HT, DA, and NE it is impossible to predict which will work in each patient, there is no perfect formula or drug for every person. Switch to an SSRI like citalopram or escitalopram (Celaxa and Lexapro) or an SNRI like duloxetine (Cymbalta).

MAOI's like selegeline are not used anymore except in cases such as Parkinsons and the adverse effects, potential for toxicity (especially with children around), and drug/food interactions are through the roof and can worsen your problem by giving you fluctuating neurotransmitter levels.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Hey there, well this was years ago.... a very old post

I had low test and thus low dopamine. I'm on TRT now and I don't take any anti-depressants or dopaminergenics except for occasional 5mg tab of deprenyl maybe twice per week, and some P5P.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Btw Mao-b inhibitors don't have food restrictions like Mao-a inhibitor's have. Mao-b only effects DOPA and NOR/EPI unless taking extremely high doses, then there is some spill over to A.

Deprenyl is EXTREMELY safe and is actually neuro-protective, thus it's popularity amongst the anti-aging crowd.

SSRI's are a nightmare and can permanently lower dopamine in some patients. They are ugly, and I would never suggest them to people. SSRA's are the future, and I would highly recommend SAM-e or an SSRA over old school and horrible, ED inducing, personality blunting SSRI's

BrazilianDoc

BrazilianDoc

Awards
I love low dose deprenyl ( 2,5mg ED) with a natural source of L-dopa ( mucuna pruriens)