Dealing with depression

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think this is a topic that people tend to shove under the rug. I would like yo bring some light on to this topic and help anyone that might be struggling with it. I would also like to help myself because recently i have been struggled just to make it to the next day.

What are things you guys have found that have helped you with dealing with depression? This could be anything you think that have helped you, supplements, diet changes, medications, lifestyle changes, etc etc. I mean literally anything!

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Laying off any booze and laying on many women.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Laying off any booze and laying on many women.
Haha. Ya i don't drink but definitely a good recommendation for people who do. However to the latter science disagrees. People with less partners are happier especially men. Not that i thinks its wrong/sin to do so. I just thought that i would let people know that is not necessarily a good idea(it might be for you tho). I personally believe that you shouldn't unless your in love with that person.

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Haha. Ya i don't drink but definitely a good recommendation for people who do. However to the latter science disagrees. People with less partners are happier especially men. Not that i thinks its wrong/sin to do so. I just thought that i would let people know that is not necessarily a good idea(it might be for you tho). I personally believe that you shouldn't unless your in love with that person.
Less partners. Hmmmm.... Less at one time, or less overall?

SXIPro

SXIPro

Awards
  • Established
Hmmm. Let me do some testing and I'll get back to you. Don't tell my wife.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No clinical diagnosis on my end, but have had my share of bouts with it in some way, shape or form over the years. For me, it was largely due to some medical issues that caused a lot of weight gain. Not sure how much was the mental/emotional aspect of the weight gain (which I attributed it to) or if any was due to actual physiological changes in my body (dopamine, serotonin, sex hormones, etc.).

I've found that routine greatly helps me. Additionally, just accepting/acknowledging it has, too. I don't stand on the roof and shout about it, but I don't hide the fact that I've had these battles if asked, either.

Proper diet and training is greatly helpful because many things (for me) could trigger it and those keep me feeling the best.

I could talk about this for days and days, but I'll start off with that.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Get rid of the negative people in your life.

Start doing more positive things.

Start meditating.
(The best thing that's ever helped me)

LIVE...

jgntyce

jgntyce

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Get rid of the negative people in your life.

Start doing more positive things.

Start meditating.
(The best thing that's ever helped me)

LIVE...
Real talk right there!

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Puccah8808 is on to something. Quite often people are depressed because their minds are continually thinking about all types of negative things. If you have a general conversation with them, you will probably leave depressed yourself. These people need to seek ways to redirect or change their thinking.

Sometimes people are depressed because they have a guilty conscience. The "do good, feel good" or "do bad, feel bad" concept. In these instances they do have some kind of control by making things right with those they have wronged. I know there could be and are other reasons for people being depressed. I am only hoping to give a starting point for those struggling.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^ I totally disagree. I am severely depressed and only 4 people in my life know. I come off as the happiest person in the room or the life of the party(just used as an expression. I do not party). I avoid negative things and thoughts. Also i do lots of good things. its not like i have a guilty conscious. Yet i am very depressed, depression is a disease not a mind set(most of the time. I have seen people depressed from there mind set and change it.). I am not always depressed either, i am just more often depressed then not.

gokix811

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
^^^^ I totally disagree. I am severely depressed and only 4 people in my life know. I come off as the happiest person in the room or the life of the party(just used as an expression. I do not party). I avoid negative things and thoughts. Also i do lots of good things. its not like i have a guilty conscious. Yet i am very depressed, depression is a disease not a mind set(most of the time. I have seen people depressed from there mind set and change it.). I am not always depressed either, i am just more often depressed then not.
You sound pretty self-aware of the struggles you face. I think - pulling just from my own experience - depression is more like a bridge between what is considered "good" and what is "bad". More often than not if feels like indifference to the world, to your surroundings - as in - what difference does it make if I continue to do X,Y,Z today? It's not easily turned "off". Having been there, it's like wearing an invisibility cloak that no one else owns. I think one of the most damaging things someone in that position could do is isolate themselves. Definitely the best thing I ever did for myself was to start working out, force myself into uncomfortable positions and challenges that I knew I could grow from. Not only that, but I think volunteering or just helping someone in need can help with dealing with depression. As important as self reflection is, sometimes we get in our own way by looking inward too much, so offering to help someone in need (no matter how big or small), can make you feel like you're of real value to someone's life. It is as much as you helping them, as they are helping you. Anyway, hang in there. Go for a hike. If you're in foliage country, I highly recommend getting a dose of that, too.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
You sound pretty self-aware of the struggles you face. I think - pulling just from my own experience - depression is more like a bridge between what is considered "good" and what is "bad". More often than not if feels like indifference to the world, to your surroundings - as in - what difference does it make if I continue to do X,Y,Z today? It's not easily turned "off". Having been there, it's like wearing an invisibility cloak that no one else owns. I think one of the most damaging things someone in that position could do is isolate themselves. Definitely the best thing I ever did for myself was to start working out, force myself into uncomfortable positions and challenges that I knew I could grow from. Not only that, but I think volunteering or just helping someone in need can help with dealing with depression. As important as self reflection is, sometimes we get in our own way by looking inward too much, so offering to help someone in need (no matter how big or small), can make you feel like you're of real value to someone's life. It is as much as you helping them, as they are helping you. Anyway, hang in there. Go for a hike. If you're in foliage country, I highly recommend getting a dose of that, too.
Yes i totally agree. Recently the only time i have felt truly happy is when i am helping out with the special needs pe class in my school. I truly love them more then i thought i could ever love something.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm glad you started this thread -- some very good discussion in here.