Deadlift stretches for tight hamstrings?

jbronk

Awards
I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a kid and it left me with abnormally tight hamstrings as a result. It makes it really, really difficult to get my rear end in the proper position for deadlifts.

Do you guys know of any stretch routines I can do before leg day to really loosen up my hammy's?

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Dude u need to get on the hyperextension bench every day. Make sure your reps are completed with a neutral spine and slightly bent legs. Wont be long before you have nice long thick hammies this qsy.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Good ol leg up the doorway trick works well for me. 3mins each leg for 4-5 weeks. Follow it up with the Leg Lowering progressive to keep a good balance.

jbronk

Awards
Dude u need to get on the hyperextension bench every day. Make sure your reps are completed with a neutral spine and slightly bent legs. Wont be long before you have nice long thick hammies this qsy.
Good ol leg up the doorway trick works well for me. 3mins each leg for 4-5 weeks. Follow it up with the Leg Lowering progressive to keep a good balance.
So...I just need to quit being a baby and stretch daily for a few weeks. I figured as much!

Thanks for the feedback guys.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So...I just need to quit being a baby and stretch daily for a few weeks. I figured as much!

Thanks for the feedback guys.
Worlds greatest stretch will make your life better lol. Best of luck!

Curiousmonkey

Curiousmonkey

Awards
I was diagnosed with scoliosis as a kid and it left me with abnormally tight hamstrings as a result. It makes it really, really difficult to get my rear end in the proper position for deadlifts.

Do you guys know of any stretch routines I can do before leg day to really loosen up my hammy's?
I’ve dealt with that same problem most my life to the point I had to stop deadlifting and back squatting, until I found the key of unlocking my hips. Hamstring tightness/low back pain usually stems from tight HIP FLEXORS (psoas minor & major) and from an underdeveloped lower abdomen. If you stretch out/train your hamstrings and lower back thinking that will solve the issue you’re only causing more inflammation to the area. There is a lot of research & information available online for you to dive into on this

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Put a barbell in a rack on the safety pins or in the j cups high enough you can sit your hamstrings on it. Then grab the top or sides of the rack and use your arms to pull you back and forth across the spinning barbell. It’s much more effective than foam rolling and takes 2 minutes tops.

Using a smith machine is actually perfect for this - set the height, pop on and roll 8-12 passes.

If your psoas is tight, lay on a lacrosse ball or a kb/db end to mash that loose.

Standing lightly on a lacrosse ball and gently rolling the muscles on the bottom of the foot will temporarily yield increased hamstring ROM as well.

BarryScott

BarryScott

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I had/have scoliosis, and had corrective surgery in my teens and hideously short hamstrings. I'm also too lazy for static stretching and it doesn't really work for me for some reason.

What did work for me is just working the muscle through the full range of motion. E.g. squat and deadlift three times a week (use a HLM, DUP or similar setup to avoid injury/overtraing) and gradually increase range of motion. Use a rack for the deadlifts and do rack pulls, once it gets more comfortable set the pins one notch lower.