Curcumin – The Real Holy Grail of the Supplement Industry

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Curcumin – The Real Holy Grail of the Supplement Industry

We often hear supplements be referred to as, “The Holy Grail” of the industry. We’ve seen many ingredients come in with a bang but can’t last the test of time. First isolated in 1815 and chemically mapped in 1910, Curcumin may be the supplement that needs to be in your regimen. [1] Derived from the plant turmeric, Curcumin has been touted for its potential anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer effects. It’s up for debate if there is a better general health supplement. Once we compensate for it’s poor oral bioavailability, potential effects such as a reduction in inflammation [2,3], reduction in pain [4], lower cholesterol and triglycerides [5], anti-anxiety effects [6], optimized kidney function [7], reduced risk of prostate cancer [8] and neural-decline prevention [9] are seen clinically amongst other benefits. But outside of general health, how can Curcumin help you with your bodybuilding goals? Through a plethora of ways. One thing of note before we begin – a lot of research on the below is done on either mice or unhealthy populations. Also, research is vast, I mean VAST for turmeric and curcumin, so sorting through has proven to be quite timely.

Fat Loss

Curcumin may have the ability to stimulate fat loss and prevent fat tissue growth. An article that was published in the Journal of Nutrition shows rats that were given Curcumin alongside a high-fat diet had reduced fat gain in comparison to the just high fat diet. Also, fat metabolism appears to increase given the reduction in free fatty acids. [10]

What’s the underlying mechanism? Curcumin may attenuate lipolysis via its effects on AMPk [11] and as an inhibitor of fatty acid synthase. [12] AMPk activation is important for fat loss as it helps your body utilize glucose in a more effective manner. Inhibiting fatty acid synthase may have positive effects on fat loss.

Glucose Metabolism

Curcumin supplementation may have the ability to lower blood glucose and improve insulin resistance.

“These antiinflammatory effects of curcumin were associated with improved glycemic status in the treated animals as determined by blood glucose levels, HbA1c, and glucose and insulin tolerance tests. Curcumin was also associated with a small but significant decrease in body weight and fat content despite either a maintenance or increase in total daily kilocalories. This suggests that curcumin has beneficial effects on body composition. In fact, curcumin was noted to increase the lean tissue mass of ob/ob mice, an effect that may be due to curcumin’s ability to inhibit the activity of NF-κB, a molecule known to play a key role in the pathophysiology of muscle atrophy…” [13]

Testosterone

We’re all aware of testosterone’s effect on muscle building. Researchers found that rats given curcumin had higher levels of testosterone as compared to rats that were given gallic acid or gallic acid + curcumin. [14]

Best Form?

So you’ve probably heard that curcumin isn’t the best-absorbed compound. When paired with piperine or a phospholipid, absorption is increased. My favorite, and what I recommend, is Theracurmin. Below is a link as to why it’s my favorite. It may be cost prohibitive, but I’ve made this + ashwagandha (KSM-66) as staples.

http://truttmd.com/curcumin-update-theracurmin/

Sources:
1. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3288651/
2. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21907450
3. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21194249
4. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3596124/
5. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21796707
6. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25776839
7. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21742514
8. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20503397
9. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15590663
10. Curcumin Inhibits Adipogenesis in 3T3-L1 Adipocytes and Angiogenesis and Obesity in C57/BL Mice
11. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19093868
12. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21221723
13. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2453081/
14. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24565563

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for sharing!

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Antaeus Labs new version of Achilles has cyclo-curcumin....

TrainerTone

TrainerTone

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very informative. Definitely worth a read

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Looks like crushed up cheeto

Nice post OP, rep'd!

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I've been on Curcumin for awhile. So good, for just about everything.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Does anyone REALLY notice any effects from Curcumin? I want to believe all the hype around this, but honestly - everything I see points to it being highly ineffective in humans beyond injecting it.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Does anyone REALLY notice any effects from Curcumin? I want to believe all the hype around this, but honestly - everything I see points to it being highly ineffective in humans beyond injecting it.
Injecting you say? Now you've sparked my interest. Lol

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
Might be relevant http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.3109/1061186X.2016.1157883 "First, it will be vital to clarify whether the biological properties of curcumin indeed result from the initial compound or from its degradation products" Anecdotally I notice pain relief from Longvida.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
When looking at things such as lowering cholesterol, reducing risk of prostate cancer, etc, you're not going to notice its effects.

Curcumin alone probably isn't the most effective. Take a look at Theracurmin, BCM-95 or Mervia

ma70

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Lots of anecdote regarding joint relief.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The new version of InjureEeze has both Tetrahydrocurcuminoids (with Emu Oil as both its own anti-inflammatory and a massive penetration enhancer) and black cumin powder and the feedback (including my own) is off the charts.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
More than likely you're seeing this from plain curcumin/tumeric with no delivery system/absorption compound.

But I'll say, I've seen numerous say inj curcumin is quite amazing.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Lots of anecdote regarding joint relief.
Yes, I have doubts about oral administration...People have high expectations and that's enough most times to see results. I am not saying I am sure it doesn't work...Just skeptical.

The new version of InjureEeze has both Tetrahydrocurcuminoids (with Emu Oil as both its own anti-inflammatory and a massive penetration enhancer) and black cumin powder and the feedback (including my own) is off the charts.
This is true. My dad has been using Injure Eeze. He has used Joint Force for a long time now...He has pain constantly in his knees....First couple days using it, he was moving around and said he actually hadn't felt the pain all day. It seems like the upgrade IS pretty effective. Amazing actually.

More than likely you're seeing this from plain curcumin/tumeric with no delivery system/absorption compound.

Yeah, injection and some studies show promise beyond doubt. I don't really even buy the delivery system thing just yet. Transdermal, maybe. But even if a delivery system quadruples absorption, not much gets into the system.

Again, lots of other factors, I just have some skepticism with my hope.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Joint Force/InjureEeze work. The problem for me is my shoulders is where I need to apply but I take other TD's (ie: Dienazone, Virtus, etc.) that are best applied to shoulders so it's one or the other.

rascal14

rascal14

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar

What noticeable benefits have you heard from injectable? This is the first in ever hearing of it.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What noticeable benefits have you heard from injectable? This is the first in ever hearing of it.
Well, the anti-inflammatory effects apparently are very real if you can get it in your system, which injection does. Pretty much the benefits it should have actually are possible once you overcome bioavailability issues...Injection is a way around that.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Aesthetics, anti-inflammatory, and joint.

nico101

Awards
If you actually dig into the scientific data, there's little to suggest any significant benefits from curcumin

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
thought this was common knowledge at this point just a matter of finding a high quality source thts bio available

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
I'm a believer, as I had two Achilles Tendons that didn't respond to *anything* out there that supposedly helps. This includes BPC-157 (which worked wonders for Golfer's Elbow - and lead me to believe that the Achilles problem was some weird inflammation thing, and not an actual tendon repair deal, or BPC would have worked).

But for me, I didn't need any fancy Curcumin delivery system - just bulk 95% and about 20mg of Piperine does the trick for me.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If anyone is worried about absorption, maybe one of you supplement guys can get to work on a dermal version of Curcumin.

nico101

Awards
I don't have enough posts to add links so you'll have to add the www at the front

smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/turmeric-may-taste-good-its-not-cure-all-180961786/

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If anyone is worried about absorption, maybe one of you supplement guys can get to work on a dermal version of Curcumin.
The new Injure-Eeze contains Tetrahydrocurcuminoids, as they are highly effective and don't stain anything. You're going to run into that problem trying curcumin through the skin.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Does anyone have info on the dosage to take of Curcumin for all the benefits?

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The new Injure-Eeze contains Tetrahydrocurcuminoids, as they are highly effective and don't stain anything. You're going to run into that problem trying curcumin through the skin.
Where is that available at? Search results don't show any website for it.

bosskardo

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Curcumin helped me reduce the creacking of my knees. Only downside is its expensive. The knees got quite bad, so I took 3 or 4 x dose. That's like 25usd bottle lasted a week. Bioavalible versions are expensive.
I have some bulk Curcumin plus pieperine coming. I'll try mixing it with some oil and soy lecithin and chug that down every morning.
A lot cheaper and hopefully decently effective.

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You might turn yellow, but at least your knees won't hurt!

The_Old_Guy

The_Old_Guy

Awards
It might also be worth noting that taking a lot of piperine would potentiate other supplements you may be taking.
God I hope so, Blueberry Extract and Broccoli Sprout Extract FTW!

EricMM

Awards
  • Established
Life Extension brand is the one I use. It's really potent and I trust them 100%.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
God I hope so, Blueberry Extract and Broccoli Sprout Extract FTW!
Brother, your new avatar is killing me. You are impressive especially considering I believe you have avoided most hormonal products...Great work.

mbonheur

mbonheur

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I switched to Theracurmin instead of 95% + Piperine and I feel a lot better on it. Doses are lower, so pricewise it is not that more expensive

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
need a tester for that-100% serious!!!

Shiznown

Shiznown

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How much curcumin in in InjureEeze, how long does it last and does anyone have info on how much curcumin is ideal for increased test production? A topic curcumin is ideal for me since I have acid reflux, even though I'm hopefully having surgery to correct it soon. The idea of it going straight to the blood stream is appealing though.

pbandy1

Awards
Life Extension brand is the one I use. It's really potent and I trust them 100%.
Life Extension is a good brand for sure, they use BCM-95. I know that John Meadows personally uses and recommends it. Right now I am using Thorne Meriva for some achy joints and mood issues, I believe there is a study showing that Meriva is better than BCM for absorption.

I do hate how all these curcumin bio-availability studies have major conflicts of interest, though.

ucheoma

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have ostheo arthritis in both knees. Tried theracumin with no noticeable relief. For 2 weeks have been on a combo of swansons herbal joint complex: white willow bark, boswellia, tart cherry, cats claw + terminalia chebula + SAMe. Pain has virtually dissipated and mobility is restored to normal. I have experienced the same degree of relief as with Naproxen. Really surprised and pleased. Im looking for alternative supplements so that i dont build a tolerance and can continue to feel the effects