Cube v conjugate

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
This is a question for some of the vets out there, herder, sean, josh, and some others. I have some basic ideas about cube but I was hoping for answers to a few questions before I decide to buy the book on Cube. Moneys tight right now and I don't want to drop $$ on it just now if I decide to go conjugated.
1) do they rotate ME and/or RE movements ala conjugated or are they Squat/Bench/DL?
2) can it be programmed MWFM like Wendler's 3 day a week template? 4 days a week is generally too much at my age.
3) is the DE still bands and chains?
4) how does the "extra" workout day work? Everything, weak points?
5) any general impressions?

I've been on 531 for 27 months and have had great progress but I'm thinking it might be time to move to something to up my absolute strength at a higher intensity level. I have though about just doing 531 for powerlifting but was looking for other options. I'm still not settled on anything I won't decide until after summer

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
i can try and help from what little i know about the cube.

1)depends, and i say this based upon opinion. the ME days are spread out so the body gets a bit of a break. so you can change things up with variations that help with weak links or not. depends on you. if you are seeing progress with out variation than why do the variations. if the variations motivate you, then do them. if you are not gaining or even going backwards then try the variations.

2)sure. why not.

3)if you have them, use them but they are not needed for westside IMO. sure they can help but the lack of having them will not stop you from doing a westside or the cube.

4)yes and yes. you are doing accessory work after the ME and DE days and then have an additional RE day. you can easily do special work for weak links say on DEME days and general work for overall size on RE days.

5)its westside, just laid out a bit different. you still have all the components only spread out over a longer time frame. to me it may work better for most with increased RE work, decreased DE work, and deads and squats in the same week. my only concern is when to switch to westside to take advantage of the increased ME work. i almost wonder if you could use macrocycles of the 2. use cube for off season and westside for meet prep work.

in the end, the one that will work better is the one that you believe more in and will put more work into.

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
My phrase is "Heavy Explosive Reps"

ME Dead, DE Bench, RE Squat, Body Day
DE Dead, RE Bench, ME Squat, Body Day
RE Dead, ME Bench, DE Squat, Body Day

^
1 meso cycle. Then do that 2 more times. The 10th week, accumulate new maxes. Go to Brandon Lilly's blog online and he lays out the percentages/reps and to use a %95 training max. I think i posted that in my thread maybe. I played around with the percentages to what fit me best, especially the DE days. I also would do AMRAP on some days. Lilly says in his book he's not all about numbers. He hits big on never missing a rep though.

Main lift, supplemental lift maybe, 3-4 asst lifts.

Body day hits on whatever's weak. Lilly includes OHP and high reps, never less than 6.

There is no assistance template. He has an example in his book but its what you want it to be. Poke through herderdudes log and mine to see how we did it. If you follow Lilly's log you can see how sporadic he kinda is. He'll do pull downs on squat day ect It's whatever you need to do, to make that lift better and yourself stronger.

Do it any day of the week you want.

So far I hit PRs on squats and deads, and I'll see how the full program turns out with my meet in a few days.

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Some good guideline info posted and...

in the end, the one that will work better is the one that you believe more in and will put more work into.
It looks like a good guideline for waves of intensity etc. etc. but this^^^ will be the biggest factor.

That said I have not run cube specifically, but have changed things up along these lines and it works pretty good to drag gains out and be less beat up.

Mr.Sinister

Mr.Sinister

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. I have a better idea now. Still not sure which way I'll go. I'll think more about it this summer and assess where I am and go from there.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is a question for some of the vets out there, herder, sean, josh, and some others. I have some basic ideas about cube but I was hoping for answers to a few questions before I decide to buy the book on Cube. Moneys tight right now and I don't want to drop $$ on it just now if I decide to go conjugated.
1) do they rotate ME and/or RE movements ala conjugated or are they Squat/Bench/DL?
2) can it be programmed MWFM like Wendler's 3 day a week template? 4 days a week is generally too much at my age.
3) is the DE still bands and chains?
4) how does the "extra" workout day work? Everything, weak points?
5) any general impressions?

I've been on 531 for 27 months and have had great progress but I'm thinking it might be time to move to something to up my absolute strength at a higher intensity level. I have though about just doing 531 for powerlifting but was looking for other options. I'm still not settled on anything I won't decide until after summer
1.) You can totally conjugate the main movements, or you can keep them the main movement. The main reason the conjugate system switches exercises is so that you can circumvent the detraining effect from using weights above 85% of your max week after week. This isn't necessary from the rotation the Cube uses. The way I like to use movement variations comes from Lilly's log. I use a variation as a supplemental movement, getting 2-5 reps. Usually it's pause squats or pausing my bench 1/2 inch off of the chest.

2.) Just add extra weak point training and your curl/calf/overhead to your three days a week. Lilly covers that in the books.

3.) DE is specifically NOT bands and chains. The wave is 60/65/70% 1RM and many raw lifters weaknesses are at the bottom of the movement, which bands and chains take away from. Therefore, we try to overcome a higher load at the bottom.

4.) Extra day is overhead press, curl, calf, and weak points. All in assistance/bodybuilding rep schemes. If you don't want to do 4 days, just add 2-3 movements to your regular days.

I like the Cube because the philosophy is more tailored to raw lifters and there is specific deadlift training, two things Westside did not have. I felt pretty beat up from Westside, where I don't on the Cube. I know my friend and occasional training partner Lamonster (who also has a cube log now) switched because he noticed that a lot of people aren't satisfied with their bench progress on 5/3/1.

Any other questions ask on here or PM me.