What after cube method?

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
I'm on the last week of the cube method, next week I'll max out, then what? I think I read one time that after a max out/meet you should take a couple weeks for just reps and volume instead of jumping right back into a heavy program, is that true or can I just restart right away?

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Most, if not all more "advanced" lifters take a deload, or some kind of break, to allow the body/system to regroup from heavier more intense grinding, lower or heavy singles work etc.
Afterwards, starting up again with a certain lowered percentage of their already attainable maxes.
Depending on one's level of experience, jumping right back in can have one stalling or getting stale, then blaming the routine or looking for something that will work again. In truth, the body grows and adapts in chunks and spurts, not really linear.

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
Any recommendations for how long a break should be?

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Any recommendations for how long a break should be?
I like to take an easy week after, doing whatever I want but nothing stupid or too intense (remember a deload is about restoration to prepare for the work ahead). Then jump right back in.

The first 2 blocks of the cube can be cycled (with or without a deload) if you don't need/feel ready to peak for a new max attempt, i.e. after finishing week 6 simply waving back to week 1.

This is good if you have no competitions coming up but want to keep your training focused. Remember, even if you don't retest and find a bigger max, if you are crushing the weights you battled with the previous time through, you are getting stronger.

clk

clk

Awards
Light weights for a week, perhaps some conditioning and get back at it man. How'd the cube tread you?

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
I like it a lot. It as the first powerlifting routine that I've done, but while cutting all of my lifts went up and my form improved on the big three

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I like it a lot. It as the first powerlifting routine that I've done, but while cutting all of my lifts went up and my form improved on the big three
So stay with it for another cycle while you eat for maintenance and watch everything go up again. The the next 2 months eat at a slight surplus and you should make gainz yet again. THEN you can decide if you wanna program hop.

But my .02 is if you reasonably enjoyed it and you made progress all over with it and didn't get hurt, you would be almost foolish not to see what else you can reap. If it ain't broke...

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Yeah, I did not think you were asking to change routines, just getting down & dirty on the one you used again!?
What are your totals you peaked out at? You weigh #170 @ 5'9" yes?
As some posters have said, a few weeks. It is gonna again depend on your level, which sounds like you may have a bit of room to move up.

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
Yeah I'm gonna end up taking a long deload time because of school lol I'm currently 170 5'7"
Bench: 320
Squat: 435
Deads: 525

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The Cube is pretty easy to recover from overall with the low frequency; if you can find time for the 3 days a week I really would try to keep going with it. At that height you should have pretty great levers to keep getting stronger without even needing to gain tons of weight.

JRowe79

JRowe79

Awards
Stay with the cube as everyone said. The cube is one of the best programs for jumping into powerlifting. It gets down to business and you make great gains early on, as everyone said I'd do maybe a week of Deload and active recovery. Go right back into it and make more strength gains and look into another one after. You don't want to jump into a shieko method or something like that too soon and the cube is great for an introductory purpose for powerlifting.

bmoore

bmoore

Awards
Yup started cube again. Why wouldn't you want to jump into shieko? I haven't even heard of that program haha

PaulBlack

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Like most, Sheiko is based on %'s of maxes, then incorporates higher and lower volumes, numbers of lifts and intensities thru the cycles or different phases of say each month or w/o #. It is probably more volume and frequency on certain lifts, than other programs.
It is not made to do like say 5-3-1 or a 5x5.

Google Sheiko #29 #30 #31... to get some ideas

DocOptimzed

DocOptimzed

Awards
I want to eventually return back to cube i loved it... just need more time!