Critique my staples...

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Hey Guys - Like most of us here, I try to read up on supplements and nutrition when I have some spare time. I thought I'd list the supplements I take regularly to see where there are gaps, and if anyone has any suggestions to "replace this with that" or "take more of that", etc... This is really just for overall health and prevention of disease, and doesn't include things I would add if I were on a cycle (which are fairly mild these days). Any feedback is appreciated:

Niacin 500mg
Krill Oil 1000mg
Pomegranate extract 250mg
Garlic oil 10mg (100:1 concentrate)
Tadalafil 5mg
NAC 1g
Red Reishi Mushroom 1500mg (full spectrum)
Natto 400mg (8000FU)
Creatine HCL

My BP stays at or under 110/65, with a resting HR of ~60. My lipids have always been jacked up, with low HDL and high LDL. Total cholesterol is 205, but like I said, the ratios are backwards. I feel like this is genetic, as my mom has the same issue.

I'll also be adding some liposomal Vitamin C and 10000IU of D3 tomorrow. I also take Agmatine off and on.

Thoughts?

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I only see curcumin missing. Helios is my go to for that.. otherwise nice set up~
I recently finished up two bottles of Helios. I do believe it helped with some prostate inflammation, but I got to where I hated the smell, even tho it didn't last all that long. Not that I won't use it again, but it'd be nice if they could reformulate to make it a little less greasy and not smell like a citrus chemical. Otherwise, point taken on the Curcumin.

Thanks for the feedback...

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I recently finished up two bottles of Helios. I do believe it helped with some prostate inflammation, but I got to where I hated the smell, even tho it didn't last all that long. Not that I won't use it again, but it'd be nice if they could reformulate to make it a little less greasy and not smell like a citrus chemical. Otherwise, point taken on the Curcumin.

Thanks for the feedback...
do what i recommend to people who don't like the smell.. apply it to your feet and put socks on.. you will not be bothered by it again~

Ape McGrapes

Ape McGrapes

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
1g Krill oil is probably to low considering the ammount of DHA/EPA/total omegas that is recommended. A better option than fish oil due to higher bioavalability and the naturally occurring astaxanthin helping prevent oxidation, but much more expensive.

I don't supplement fish oil because too much research points to most fish oil being rancid/oxidized by the time it makes it to the consumer. So this unknown quality variable and the price of supplementing proper DHA/PEA turn me off.

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1g Krill oil is probably to low considering the ammount of DHA/EPA/total omegas that is recommended. A better option than fish oil due to higher bioavalability and the naturally occurring astaxanthin helping prevent oxidation, but much more expensive.

I don't supplement fish oil because too much research points to most fish oil being rancid/oxidized by the time it makes it to the consumer. So this unknown quality variable and the price of supplementing proper DHA/PEA turn me off.
Interesting info. Never really knew about the oxidation of fish oil. I switched over to krill several years ago because of the bioavailability and not having to swallow 8-10 fish oil caps. I figured the dose was still low, and the cost is partly why I haven't dosed higher. What would you consider a healthy dose of krill? I'd like to double it, but would need to search around for some deals. All this supplementation can get a little pricey for sure.

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Opposed to shorter cycles of cardarine? Good stuff on lipids depending how you feel with it

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Maybe dose niacin 2x daily if looking for cholesterol benefits as that's what the pharm pills were

"...nicotinic acid was commercially available as Trevaclyn®, Tredaptive® or Pelzont®, at the dose of 1.0 g..."

OTOH......

However, results from the Atherothrombosis Intervention in Metabolic Syndrome with Low HDL/High Triglycerides: Impact on Global Health Outcomes (AIM-HIGH) trial [84], together with the Heart Protection Study 2-Treatment of HDL to Reduce the Incidence of Vascular Events (HPS2-THRIVE) trial [85,86], reported no clinical benefits (i.e., reduced risk of heart attack and stroke) from the long-lasting usage of niacin. A lack of efficacy, together with the onset of recurrent serious side effects (gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, and skin-related), has led to drug withdrawal from the EU market.

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Maybe dose niacin 2x daily if looking for cholesterol benefits as that's what the pharm pills were

"...nicotinic acid was commercially available as Trevaclyn®, Tredaptive® or Pelzont®, at the dose of 1.0 g..."

OTOH......

However, results from the Atherothrombosis Intervention in Metabolic Syndrome with Low HDL/High Triglycerides: Impact on Global Health Outcomes (AIM-HIGH) trial [84], together with the Heart Protection Study 2-Treatment of HDL to Reduce the Incidence of Vascular Events (HPS2-THRIVE) trial [85,86], reported no clinical benefits (i.e., reduced risk of heart attack and stroke) from the long-lasting usage of niacin. A lack of efficacy, together with the onset of recurrent serious side effects (gastrointestinal, musculoskeletal, and skin-related), has led to drug withdrawal from the EU market.
I remember my doc mentioning there was a study where niacin was found to be ineffective for cholesterol. I've thought about just cutting it out altogether, and may still do so. Cardarine, although with some controversy regarding cancer, seems to be more beneficial for lipids anyway. My thoughts are that maybe two or three 6-week runs per year might work better as long as dose is kept at 10mg (maybe 20mg).

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Yeah I'm not 100 on the cholesterol benefits and haven't looked into the studies but it does have a bunch of possible benefits.

W5LtFUPm6g774G2LPx8CTVHrbGQ778Sw45DBMcdD7yn9iJnuvCmzFsLpPeU2XfcKiNwsRNgvo8Xmqa5srfNfuAhoCkaqf...jpeg

I've been on antidepressants and it has really been great for it. All the medications I'm not really sure if they did much. Niacin really works for me, it just takes that cloud over me away (I take 1.5g split 3x). It can be somewhat hepatotoxic but I think most of us take some liver support year round but it's worth noting. Bill wilson the AA founder also talked of how niacin benefited him as well.

Sucks big pharm doesn't profit from stuff like this so, imo, it just doesn't get the attention that patented meds do and many patients just stopped taking it due to flushing.

Last edited:

hyperCat

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I'm not 100 on the cholesterol benefits and haven't looked into the studies but it does have a bunch of possible benefits.

View attachment 202747

I've been on antidepressants and it has really been great for it. All the medications I'm not really sure if they did much. Niacin really works for me, it just takes that cloud over me away (I take 1.5g split 3x). It can be somewhat hepatotoxic but I think most of us take some liver support year round but it's worth noting. Bill wilson the AA founder also talked of how niacin benefited him as well.

Sucks big pharm doesn't profit from stuff like this so, imo, it just doesn't get the attention that patented meds do and many patients just stopped taking it due to flushing.
Wow, those are some pretty hefty doses listed on there. Never thought about taking that much for the very reason you stated about hepatoxicity. Hell, that makes me want to experiment with it some now. I recently turned 50, and due to some unfortunate circumstances in my life, my mood has been crap. Feeling rather disassociated and somnolent. Might try the 3g range for a while to see what it does. Hopefully it doesn’t aggravate my digestive issues. Those have kinda settled down lately. Thanks for the info.

EpiStrong

EpiStrong

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Np brother best wishes, mental health has been rough for myself even though I don't show it externally. I am hesitant to attribute positive benefits to things unless I take them for awhile due to placebo effect but there's many ancedotal accounts of using it for anxiety/mood and I was pretty down with covid and everything months ago internally. I started laughing again just watching TV after starting it again and it truthfully caught me by surprise.... I dunno but it seems to work for me

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Supplements 10
dapack Powerlifting/Strongman 7
Anabolics 27
-MVP- Training Forum 5
Bulking 14