Creaky, Painful Knees

Miles Johnson

Awards
Looking for insight into knee problems that have become so severe I can no longer do Squats, and wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. It's like a intense aching feeling whenever I do squats, even with warm ups weights. It came on over the last year or so. For many years before that my knees felt stiff, but with extensive warm ups I could get to a point where it didn't bother me for my heavy sets. Then, it reached a point where the pain was still there no matter how much I warmed up but I could push through it. Now it's reached a point where I can't possibly push through it, and in fact I really can't kneel and get up without grabbing ahold of something. Anyone experienced something similar? If so, how did you fix it and as a starting point, is there a medical term you could likely use for such an injury.

Background- I'm 44 years old, been lifting (including squats) hard for 25 years approximately, and have major surgeries on both knees due to wrestling injuries (bursitis in both knees, torn meniscus and cartilage in the other).

Also, I'm thankfully able to do almost all other leg exercises at least for now, including legs presses, leg curls, leg extensions and sort of a modified lunge with one dumbbell at a time.

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yes, I had this for a while due to tendonitis and general inflammation in my MCL and ACL caused by lifting. I could hardly walk stairs at the time without pain.

All I can say is you have to take it really easy and let time do its thing. It was a good 6 months before I was back doing any heavy weight. Stick to bodyweight for a while or very light weight lunges as it takes some of the pressure off your back and total body (which also factor in here), take collagen protein 5-10grams a day, fish oil, vitamin C to help repair and reduce inflammation. I would not do any leg extensions as they wreck your knees.

Miles Johnson

Awards
Thanks for the insight. Anyone think there could be progress made with physical therapy type exercises or is it just a rest and inflammation type deal?

cheftepesh1

cheftepesh1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Thanks for the insight. Anyone think there could be progress made with physical therapy type exercises or is it just a rest and inflammation type deal?
I would look into CBD. @delsolrob has a great one that works topically on pain and inflammation. Therapy never did much for me.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I would look into CBD. @delsolrob has a great one that works topically on pain and inflammation. Therapy never did much for me.
there are stretches and exercises you can google and do at home, last time i went to pt it once weekly and they sent me home with a copy of exercises to do at home, lol...

the delsolrob cbd oil helped my sciatica pain when even opioids weren't working any longer...combined with stretching exercises i looked up online it got me back to normal pretty quickly--i only wish i had used the cbd oil sooner--TRUTH!!!

delsolrob

delsolrob

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Neuro CBD is great for inflammation and pain. It's listed as sold out on the site, but it's not...you just have to use the contact form on the site to order (our online payment processor won't allow for CBD sales)

Another recommendation that's relatively cheap - Cissus. I love cissus and I have been using it religiously for years to keep my tendonitis in my elbow, shoulder and knee under control. I may recommend getting some Neuro CBD to get the inflammation under control (just apply .25 to .5 ml to the effected area one to two times daily - bottle will last 60-120 applications). and start using Cissus at the same time...the cissus will start doing it's magic well before you run out of CBD.

Cissus recommendations - SNS Cissus has worked well for me...I have been kicking around offering a Cissus product, as I love it's effects so much.

BennyMagoo79

BennyMagoo79

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Looking for insight into knee problems that have become so severe I can no longer do Squats, and wondering if anyone else has experienced something similar. It's like a intense aching feeling whenever I do squats, even with warm ups weights. It came on over the last year or so. For many years before that my knees felt stiff, but with extensive warm ups I could get to a point where it didn't bother me for my heavy sets. Then, it reached a point where the pain was still there no matter how much I warmed up but I could push through it. Now it's reached a point where I can't possibly push through it, and in fact I really can't kneel and get up without grabbing ahold of something. Anyone experienced something similar? If so, how did you fix it and as a starting point, is there a medical term you could likely use for such an injury.

Background- I'm 44 years old, been lifting (including squats) hard for 25 years approximately, and have major surgeries on both knees due to wrestling injuries (bursitis in both knees, torn meniscus and cartilage in the other).

Also, I'm thankfully able to do almost all other leg exercises at least for now, including legs presses, leg curls, leg extensions and sort of a modified lunge with one dumbbell at a time.
Try wrapping your knees for squats. Works for me, my right knee gets achy and inflamed from squats thanks to old injury.

Miles Johnson

Awards
Thanks to all for your suggestions, I'm started a variety of exercise and stretches I found on youtube. I tried Ciussis before, not sure if it helped but it was in a Joint complex so it may have been too low dose to really get the effects. Will definitely look into the CBD Oil as well, and should the gym ever open again I'll wrap my knees before squatting.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
I think its your form - do box squats like powerlifters - you should be sitting way back and not squatting into your knees at any time during the squat. I am 52 yrs and a powerlifter - my knees don't hurt, but if I squat wrong they certainly would. I have had a full quad rupture, ACL and multiple scopes - all from other sports. Proper form squats have never bothered my knees. Nothing fixes form, but form. Band aids are not going to help.

Last edited:

Miles Johnson

Awards
Yeah you're probably right about my form. I'm 6'3 with knees that naturally turn inward- not a great combination to be a natural with squat form lol. If I reach a point I can do it again I'm gonna have to be much disciplined about learning proper form, for me it's always been about effort.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I tore my left ACL and had a hamstring graft to fix it. Pretty sure it was due to excessive quad tightness. I still get knee pain in both knees and stretching my quads and giving my hams more work takes it right away.