Could whey protein cause heart palpitations?

saosin80

Awards
Hey everyone, so I decided to buy some whey protein to supplement my diet. I bought Isopure unflavored whey protein isolate. I have taken it a few times now and literally every time I've gotten heart palpitations shortly after finishing a shake. Is there a chance I'm allergic to whey perhaps? Has anyone else gotten heart palps from whey? The company claims there are no additives whatsoever in the protein so it must be the protein itself causing the reaction. I'm mostly likely just going to stop using it since my body must not like it. Sucks I spent a lot of money getting the 3lb. tub! I just wanted to see if I'm the only one. Lots of my friends use whey and they all think I'm a weirdo for having any reaction to it. Thanks for the input!

Killerkanadia

Killerkanadia

Awards
  • Established
If you're not allergic to milk, you're not allergic to whey protein

Xerxes

Awards
  • Established
No. I am going to take a guess and say that your heart palpitations are not directly related to your consumption of whey. I am damn near 100% sure that any correlation between the two is a complete coincidence.

If you continue having palpitations I would consult your doctor and take it from there.

gamer2be08

gamer2be08

Banned
Awards
  • Established
No. I am going to take a guess and say that your heart palpitations are not directly related to your consumption of whey. I am damn near 100% sure that any correlation between the two is a complete coincidence.

If you continue having palpitations I would consult your doctor and take it from there.
ya, palpitations mean heart trouble. see your doc op and your heart checked up.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
do you have low blood pressure? experience dizzyness upon standing? Get crazy heart palpultations after doing some sort of exercise or from anxiety?

dima_nrg

Awards
hey, i've had the exact same thing happen to me this morning.
i took 1 scoop and bit in the morning and 30 mins later my heart is racing at 100bpm (not lying)
And this lasted all for 2 hours along with that i had chest pain and felt dizzy.
At the end of the day heart rate went down to 74bpm (this is my normal resting heart rate)

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
I get heart palpitations when my supply of protein is getting low. I think that’s anxiety though :)

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
hey, i've had the exact same thing happen to me this morning.
i took 1 scoop and bit in the morning and 30 mins later my heart is racing at 100bpm (not lying)
And this lasted all for 2 hours along with that i had chest pain and felt dizzy.
At the end of the day heart rate went down to 74bpm (this is my normal resting heart rate)
Did you go to the hospital? It wasn't the protein and you need to get checked.

JJWW

Awards
I have to give some credibility to this. I started drinking Premier Protein shakes because I am on a food plan to lose weight and others have recommended these shakes as a meal or snack. I was drinking 1-2 per day. I have had palpitations in the past and know I am predisposed to them but since starting the food plan and drinking the shakes I have been having debilitating palpitations and extreme shortness of breath. I read about the connection on this forum and since my doctors have not been able to find a reason for my increased palpitations I decided to look closely at the ingredients in Premier Protein and sure enough, it contains whey. So I stopped drinking the shakes and felt a lot better - still some palpitations but nothing like I was going through since starting them. And I never had shortness of breath like I had with the palpitations either. I switched to Muscle Milk that does not contain whey and felt far fewer palpitations. Today, I was in a rush and grabbed one from the fridge. I though I had removed all the Premier brand and didn't even look at it - just drank it. About 10 min. later I was having terrible nonstop palpitations and severe shortness of breath. After about three hours symptoms lessened and then stopped completely. Tonight I noticed that there were some Premier shakes in the fridge that my husband had put there not realizing my issues with them. I strongly feel there is a connection and that I have a whey allergy. So you are not alone. Whey is in many processed foods and from now on I am going to scrutinize every label before I eat anything at all. My sister has a daughter with severe food allergies who is an adult now and outgrown most of them but my sister became an ingredient detective and found whey in products like some brands of tuna fish. Smaller amounts are not on labels so she had called every manufacturer before letting her daughter eat any processed food. I am hoping that this is the answer to my situation because my doctors are stumped. I hope you find a solution.

SFreed

SFreed

Board Supporter
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I have to give some credibility to this. I started drinking Premier Protein shakes because I am on a food plan to lose weight and others have recommended these shakes as a meal or snack. I was drinking 1-2 per day. I have had palpitations in the past and know I am predisposed to them but since starting the food plan and drinking the shakes I have been having debilitating palpitations and extreme shortness of breath. I read about the connection on this forum and since my doctors have not been able to find a reason for my increased palpitations I decided to look closely at the ingredients in Premier Protein and sure enough, it contains whey. So I stopped drinking the shakes and felt a lot better - still some palpitations but nothing like I was going through since starting them. And I never had shortness of breath like I had with the palpitations either. I switched to Muscle Milk that does not contain whey and felt far fewer palpitations. Today, I was in a rush and grabbed one from the fridge. I though I had removed all the Premier brand and didn't even look at it - just drank it. About 10 min. later I was having terrible nonstop palpitations and severe shortness of breath. After about three hours symptoms lessened and then stopped completely. Tonight I noticed that there were some Premier shakes in the fridge that my husband had put there not realizing my issues with them. I strongly feel there is a connection and that I have a whey allergy. So you are not alone. Whey is in many processed foods and from now on I am going to scrutinize every label before I eat anything at all. My sister has a daughter with severe food allergies who is an adult now and outgrown most of them but my sister became an ingredient detective and found whey in products like some brands of tuna fish. Smaller amounts are not on labels so she had called every manufacturer before letting her daughter eat any processed food. I am hoping that this is the answer to my situation because my doctors are stumped. I hope you find a solution.
Lol. I could see if you somehow had an allergy to whey. Otherwise, not so much.

JJWW

Awards
Yes, I am assuming that there is a possibility that I am allergic to whey. My attacks are so severe that it is worth a trip to an allergist to find out. My test clearly is not scientific but I am definitely avoiding anything that obviously contains whey until I find out for sure.