Core Movements After Hernia Surgery

jackedviking

jackedviking

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
What’s up gang? Had a umbilical hernia surgery in February, had mesh put in, no complications since then. Been slowly getting back after it in the gym, but I’m very hesitant to hit core movements.

Any advice, experience or pearls of wisdom?

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What’s up gang? Had a umbilical hernia surgery in February, had mesh put in, no complications since then. Been slowly getting back after it in the gym, but I’m very hesitant to hit core movements.

I don’t have any personal experience but I have had back injuries that required similar therapy - developing mind-muscle connection with and strengthening the transverse abdominis. What a hernia is is literally a tear in this muscle.

Avoid weighted core movements and if at any point you can no longer feel the contraction of this muscle during any core exercise, give up and reset. You don’t need weights for core exercises anyway. Mind-muscle connection with the entire core and breathing is really what should be focused on.

Also avoid dumbbell rows (the staggered stance puts your body in too vulnerable of a position for a tear) and anything too heavy for a while. The Athlean X channel on youtube actually has good info on this topic.

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

I don’t have any personal experience but I have had back injuries that required similar therapy - developing mind-muscle connection with and strengthening the transverse abdominis. What a hernia is is literally a tear in this muscle.

Avoid weighted core movements and if at any point you can no longer feel the contraction of this muscle during any core exercise, give up and reset. You don’t need weights for core exercises anyway. Mind-muscle connection with the entire core and breathing is really what should be focused on.

Also avoid dumbbell rows (the staggered stance puts your body in too vulnerable of a position for a tear) and anything too heavy for a while. The Athlean X channel on youtube actually has good info on this topic.

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Zvch

Zvch

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

G34RS

G34RS

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
There's compression garments available for hernias, so those might be worth looking into for added protection while lifting if you haven't invested in any already.

vladimirb68

Awards

I just had the same procedure done on Friday. Wow, the pain is much worse than anticipated. But things seem to be getting better.
I’m starting to research training with this type of surgery. Have you found anything useful or things to avoid? Thanks for any info and advice

celc5

celc5

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
30 days no lifting. Then systematically reintroduce lifting.

Soft tissue healing typically takes 6-12 weeks total. At 3 months post op, I'd be comfortable ramping things up to training levels.