Controlled Labs Gamer Up Log -- Testing for a Mid-Day Pick-Me-Up

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Big thanks to Sean1332 , Hyde , and Controlled Labs for the chance to test this out.

If you've stumbled into the Nerdy Lifter's Corner, you're already aware that I'm not much for gaming. Loved me some N64 and everything before it, but after that it just got a little too complex/time-consuming for me. However, I'm very intrigued by the panel on this product and wanted to use it in a different setting.

I normally wake up around 4:45 AM and lift before work. By about 1 PM, I'm starting to feel that drag. That's when I normally opt for a Monster Ultra Zero or something similar. I wanted to see what a product like this would do in its place. And I'll be sampling that in a few hours.

Today was an off day from the gym, but I still had a small group Bible study at 6:30, so I got up about 5:45 (an hour later than normal), but only netted 5 hours of sleep last night at best after 4 hours of sleep the night before and being up from 4 AM to 1 AM (training and then gone all day for an out of town conference, then a late night basketball league game). So, what that all means is that this will be very much needed lol.

I've already had a chance to try the bubble gum flavoring by CL in White Flood and it's on point. That said, there's something about drinking bubble gum that just wasn't a hit with me (since it's not a flavor of something I'm used to doing anything other than chewing), so I requested the Fruit Punch to try and give that flavor a review.

More to come!

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Subbed

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Had to break down early today lol.

I normally start my day off with 250-300mg caffeine (either in the form of pre-workout if it's a lifting day or a 16 oz. energy drink of choice as my first thing into the office on off days). But this morning, I had a Bible study at Panera (which I loathe lol -- I can elaborate if anyone actually cares), so I just ordered coffee there (I don't drink coffee, generally). So I had faaarrrr less caffeine than normal.

Anyway, cracked open my tub and the powder looks fine; almost a grey-ish color in a sense, which seemed odd. For some reason I was instantly taken back to Oximega Greens and I'm a weird person. I don't need dyes in my powders, but that one looked very much like dirt and even though it had a mint taste, I had such a hard time making myself drink it lol. Well, this one turns red as soon as it splashes into the water. There wasn't much of an odor/scent upon opening the tub, so I wasn't sure what I was in for.

Given this morning's circumstances, I went straight for 2 scoops mixed with ~16 oz. water. The flavor is on point. Very refreshing fruit punch flavor. I actually mixed it up about 1.5 hours ago and am still nursing it (that's what a busy day will do -- I'm just between appointments right now).

I'll offer up more as I have an opportunity to observe, but it definitely got rid of that drag that I felt coming on. Nothing crazy and no noticeable onset; which is actually good. But feeling good right now.

habajaba

habajaba

Awards
  • Established
Definitely watching this one closely. Trying to decide which noot product to add to my arsenal for focus.

Sparkss

Sparkss

Awards
  • Established
Definitely watching this one closely. Trying to decide which noot product to add to my arsenal for focus.
Ditto. As I get older, and my days at work crazier and more stressful, I too am looking for that mid-day pick-me-up (without any associated "rush" or "crash")

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
INSIDE. Shhhhhhhhhh... (over here)
Gamer up is the shiz.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Working on Day 2. Same as before, straight to 2 scoops.

Today was a bit odd. Woke up and body wasn't feeling great, so slept in and decided I would adjust training. Had to run 2 orientations today and between other events this week and that, it's pushing me way over on hours. So, I thought I'll just go train after the first one is done, come back and then wrap up. Well, I had to cover our front desk for a coworker today and that put me an hour behind when I'd planned. Combine that with stomach cramps (not feeling sick, but just knotting up on me -- only when seated and no strange choices in food yesterday), I decided to just hold it. I could do it after work, but I hate training in the PM, now more than ever with the January gym crowd.

So, it'll be lifting Friday morning, Sat morning, bball game Sat afternoon, training Sun morning and no ball because of an event at the church (which is fine with the schedule of the NFC/AFC championship games anyway). So nothing gets lost; just pushing rest days around.

Anywho, I would have started with caffeine right out the gate had I known no training or delayed training, but thinking I'd take pre-workout within about 3 hours of getting up, I figured I'd hold off. Ended up going for 2 scoops of Gamer Up around 1:30 or so (about 6 hours after waking). Was dragging hard this AM. But just like yesterday, I feel great and now 2 hours later, I'm still sipping on it.

So I'm curious of my fellow loggers -- how long does it take you to drink yours? Are you doing just 1 scoop? has anyone else been doing 2 at a time? Do you slam it? Sip it?
tyga tyga BloodManor ManimalPatB bighulksmash smith_69 Sean1332 Hyde

I'm running into the same scenario I did with Pink Lemonade Focus XT -- I enjoy it so much that I take forever to sip/nurse it. I suppose that's a good thing, but I guess I'm also curious what the difference would be if I were to just chug it (or even drink it over the course of 20 minutes instead of 2 hours). I'd like to know if anyone else is and particularly if you've tried both methods, if you've been able to discern differences.

I suppose I'll try to drink it faster at least once to see what I can tell. So far I can say you don't feel it come on or kick at all. But what I notice is that I'm less foggy headed, more alert and not necessarily more focused or engaged, but just feel better in general. Yesterday I didn't notice any type of come down or crash, but I was super tired around 7:30 PM or so. That came on a bit earlier than expected/hoped. We'll see how it goes tonight.

Yesterday I just had the coffee at 6:45 (sipped on for 30 minutes or so) and Panera lists it at 179mg caffeine. Then I had 2 scoops of Gamer Up. So overall, less caffeine than I have in a normal day. Today, my GU was started so late that I don't particularly want to drink more tonight (especially with planning to wake at 4:45 AM or so), so I'll do my best to not take anymore in. Normally, though, I'll start off my morning with 200-350mg caffeine (and possibly more stims, depending on the preworkout) and then take in another 200-300mg about 8 hours after.

Can say that the taste is very, very good. One of the better, more true fruit punches that I've had. That's not generally a flavor I like to get anymore (thinking back on the days when that was the only flavor option we had lol, and most of them sucked bad -- leaves a negative impression on ya), but I'm glad I've tried this. Sniffed the tub upon opening again to assess more closely and really no scent at all that I can pick up on.

bighulksmash

bighulksmash

Legend
Awards
1.5 scoops , going for 1.75 tonight . Also slamming it seems like my way . let us know how you like it .

ManimalPatB

ManimalPatB

Awards
I have been using 1 scoop and slip is slow. Like I'm in the club trying to find some hotties, sippin my drank

But no seriously, 1 scoop, drink it like a normal pre workout, not one gulp

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you didn't do that post on your phone but on the computer. Lol!!

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you didn't do that post on your phone but on the computer. Lol!!
That one -- computer.

This one -- phone.

That's why I always wait to start threads or make long posts til I'm at a computer lol.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have been using 1 scoop and slip is slow. Like I'm in the club trying to find some hotties, sippin my drank

But no seriously, 1 scoop, drink it like a normal pre workout, not one gulp
I generally slam my pre (or drink it within 10 minutes). In the office, I tend to sip between tasks.

BloodManor

BloodManor

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I slam down one heaping scoop and will up it to 2 level scoops pre study sessions.

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
used 1/2 both days and been sipping- will be using 1 scoop tomorrow

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm a one scooper. Consume it like a pre workout, 6-8 gulps?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Looks like I'm definitely the junkie in the bunch, then lol

Sean1332

Sean1332

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'll have my tub in soon so I'll let ya know my thoughts. I tend to drink fast, even if it's in a full glass. I'll most likely do the same with this.

lol at the the Oximega Greens comment. I feel ya. It took me a while to get used to. The Orange Triad+Greens has a bit better taste

And I like the sounds of alertness

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Day 3 and started off with 2 scoops, again.

This week has been all jacked up (Monday off, Tuesday out of town all day for a conference, Wednesday stayed late for a meeting, yesterday late to run orientation). So, I normally work either 8-3 or 8:30-4:30; but I came in at 9 today and am bouncing around 1:30 or so. My general preference is to lift first thing in the AM, but with the schedule, I've been a bit off. Anyway, after I miss one day, I get off track and it's SO hard for me to get back -- it's bad. I know this about myself. Anyway, I'll be going straight to the gym from work, today.

So I started off today with my 2 scoops as soon as I got in and I drank it within about 20 minutes or so. So far no discernible difference, but it almost feels like it's fading sooner for me. That could also just be placebo from the lack of reaching for my cup to drink.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
In! I generally slam most powdered drinks.

Except Raspberry Lemonade White Flood. It's delicious. So I end up slamming it anyway

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yesterday I hit ignore instead of snooze and overslept for the gym lol. So I had a Bang to start my day at the office, then my pre-workout in the afternoon when I went into lift.

Today, I managed to do the same thing (smh), but tomorrow is my off day anyway, so I'll just shuffle those 2. Started my morning off with 2 scoops in the office and I'll have a Bang later this afternoon to take me through the evening.

Still loving the fruit punch flavor and had 2 really long advising appointments with students, this morning. Found myself in a very good mood and not minding that we took the full hour to talk. Sometimes I'll be in a mood where I'm just wanting to get to the classes, figure it out and move on so I can get to the rest of my work (being over-worked and under-valued will do that to you), but I really enjoyed talking with both of my first 2 students this morning. It was nice. So it seems to have a nice effect on enjoying conversation. I'm not one who is shy, so I can't say I have trouble with opening up or talking, but whether or not you're enjoying the conversation is entirely different and today I was very much positively engaged. That's a good thing.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay, so yesterday was a bit of a rough day for me. No real reason, though my nutrition was off on Tuesday and I fear that had more of an impact than I'd have hoped. Factor that in with my being lazy lately and staying up late watching TV (I have a really bad addictive personality and made the mistake of starting up Person of Interest, so I've been watching a lot pre-bed) and it's just not a good combination.

Anyway, I ended up bailing on Bible study yesterday morning and didn't have any appointments at work scheduled til 11, so I called in and slept for an extra couple hours. I had a pressure in the back of my head, but most of all I just felt depressed. Nothing diagnosed or anything, but I'll get waves of those. I usually can keep things balanced pretty well just with exercise and nutrition, so I think that's where I slipped up. The weather can impact it, too. Lack of sun and short days are hard for me.

So, I ended up getting to work a bit before 11 and still didn't feel great. I went with just 1 scoop of Gamer Up because I was going to the gym after work (no excuse), so I didn't want that much caffeine that close together.

Shortly after, I felt substantially better. I'm not attributing it all to the supplement. I think it was a matter of being at work and being in situations where I felt needed/useful (e.g. when I'm helping students and especially when I'm doing something that few others can because I'm skilled enough at my craft, I'm at my happiest). So I think everything folded in together to cultivate that positive experience, but mentally, Gamer Up played a role in it (I just can't say how much -- not taking anything away; but not trying to give too much credit, either).

Workout was great yesterday afternoon. Diet was back on point. Stayed up late, but not as late and forced myself up at 5 to hit the gym before work this morning for another good one. Had 2 scoops Prolific + 1 tab Bronkaid pre at 5:30 AM, so I'll go for some Gamer Up in another half hour or so to wind down the last of my work day into the evening.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Dang, you weren't kidding when you said you pound stims lol

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If I drink this for my pre I slam it, when in the office I'll sip on it. I think this might just be my favorite fruit punch flavor ever

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yeah. I really need to attempt a stim break again. I've done them in the past (for up to 8 and 12 weeks) and to be honest, once I started back up, I still never had that same feeling I'd had before.

So, because of that, I just said screw the breaks since going without them makes me feel worse.

Whenever I attempt it again, I'll make sure to have something like Adrenosurge and a solid noot stack to go along with it. But I'm in no rush to attempt that lol.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If I drink this for my pre I slam it, when in the office I'll sip on it. I think this might just be my favorite fruit punch flavor ever
I'm too OCD about wanting xyz in my pre-supplementation, so I haven't used this in that scenario. I actually just keep my tub in the office because that's where I use it the most (if it's the weekend, I can grab something from my supp stash at home or drink a Monster). So I've always been sipping it (put 2 scoops in a shaker with ~18 oz. water or so almost an hour ago and only about halfway through it, actually).

I don't often get fruit punch anything anymore because the old stuff just killed me wanting it, but I do really like this flavor a lot and think it's the perfect punch.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well he does carry a bit more body weight than you! That often can make a difference in dosing. I don't think it's particularly uncommon for people to have a couple cups of coffee at work then a preworkout drink after a long American work day.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Didn't get much of a chance to use this last week, but did use 2 scoops yesterday morning and again this morning.

Still noting the same effects/impact and as I've stated, the flavor is on point.

I'm really tempted to actually take and mix one scoop with a regular Monster Ultra Zero or 2 scoops with some Sprite Zero to see how that pairs (I like the bubbles LOL).

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Didn't get much of a chance to use this last week, but did use 2 scoops yesterday morning and again this morning.

Still noting the same effects/impact and as I've stated, the flavor is on point.

I'm really tempted to actually take and mix one scoop with a regular Monster Ultra Zero or 2 scoops with some Sprite Zero to see how that pairs (I like the bubbles LOL).
Do it and let us know! That sounds good

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Do it and let us know! That sounds good
I did that with Max Reps a ways back and it was really nice.

Lately I've been getting in the habit of using those little Mio style bottles (but just get the Walmart brand) and adding those to Sprite Zero and ice. Nice little change up. The pineapple mango one with Sprite Zero is incredible.

Also, not sure about the regular one, but the electrolyte version (again, walmart brand) in orange flavor tastes almost dead on to the orange HI-C from McDonalds (I remember drinking it out of big coolers at Boy Scouts/Cub Scouts meetings at the elementary school when I was a kid). Really surprised at how good it is/was.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Man I loved that orange hi-c when I was younger
#beetus

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just took my last 2 scoops, this morning (dumped the tub over my shaker to get every last drop). Have to say that I've very much enjoyed this as a substitute around the office. As far as focus and such goes, it hasn't been anything laser-like, but offers more than what you get from just your typical energy drink. I like to go back and forth for a few reasons. There's something nice about the carbonation, as well as the flavor of the right energy drinks (e.g. VPX Bang and the Monster Ultra Zero line). They're also nice for when you have to hit the road and don't want to bother with a shaker or bringing powder along with you. But from a cost-perspective, as well as the added focus/energy benefits, something like Gamer Up (I've used FXT in the past) is great to have around the office. Again, I can't express enough how good the flavor is for a fruit punch. There are still other flavors of things out there I like better, but I honestly can't think of a fruit punch on the market I enjoy more than this (again, I normally steer clear of them just because I got sick of it in years past, but of the ones I can recall trying recently this is at the top).

Highly recommend this for use as a pick-up around work or school; at least one tub to give it a shot.

Thanks to CL and Sean and Hyde for giving me the chance to test this out -- I appreciate it, guys!

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Definitely the best fruit punch flavor out there!

lukehayd

lukehayd

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I always like how much detail you put into your reviews and logs.