Contest Prep begins!!!

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Once again congrats. And BTW you're clothes look a little baggy in the trophy shot... what gives :p :food:
The scary part is, if I wore those same clothes today they wouldn't be baggy.

Saturday at weigh-in I was 175.

Sunday morning for Easter I was still only 178.

Today I'm 197. My fingers are all stiff; every part of me is waterlogged.

Hankes64

Awards
The scary part is, if I wore those same clothes today they wouldn't be baggy.

Saturday at weigh-in I was 175.

Sunday morning for Easter I was still only 178.

Today I'm 197. My fingers are all stiff; every part of me is waterlogged.
How much ham did you eat bro? :burger:

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I haven't been eating anything out of the ordinary really.

I also have noticed I rarely take a piss despite drinking tons of water. In other words, my body, as predicted, is retaining every last drop of water it can get as a way of reacting to the dehydration I put myself through during the contest.

jecko29

jecko29

Awards
  • Established
Damn fine showing Null, you should be extremely proud of yourself showing that kind of dedication bro. BTW your face needs a little bit better of a tan :lol:

jecko

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
hey null, how did you like the aldactone, I am useing it for the first time wanted to know what your thoughts were. I have decided to do two shows back to back, only 5 days in between.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Aldactone took several days to fully kick in.

Next time I'll use something faster acting like Dyazide.

Oddly enough Aldactone didn't kick my ass like Dandelion did. I felt tired as heck on it, but Dandelion also tied my stomach in knots whereas Aldactone did not.

The guys at the show who've used Aldactone before said you have to use it for at least 5 days leading up to the show for it to really work well. I only used it Wednesday, Thursday, Friday. If I had started on Monday perhaps I would have come in with less waterweight. Though I firmly believe dropping my sodium to next to nothing would have been even more effectvie. The two combined would have likely given me a much higher placing, possibly even enough to get 4th or 5th in the Open. I don't think I could ever have beaten the guy who took the Novice; he was just so damn shredded it was insane.

Anyway, I'd say start the Aldactone Monday morning before the first show, and continue on through the second.

Also, don't bother doing a s-hitload. It didn't hurt me, but I'll be honest, I don't really think it helped much at all. Plus the s-hitload relies on dropping water early in the evening. If you don't s-hitload, you can continue drinking up until when you go to sleep. Then you'll only be dehydrated for a few hours in the morning of the show. Much safer, and you won't get the same water rebound.

After prejudging in the first show, just sip water until the evening or your stomach will HATE you for it and you'll feel like you want to die. In the evening after the night show, start to drink a little more normally. The day after the show, bring water intake up to a gallon or more. After that try to increase it to 2-3 gallons until the morning of the second show. Keep sodium at an absolute minimum the entire time.

Also, because you're doing 2 shows, I would recommend carbing up clean on the day of the first show. Use rice cackes and honey. I suppose rice cakes, peanut butter, and jam would be ok too, but go easy on the peanut butter. The fat will help vascularlity, and so will the sodium, but you want that sodium out of your system by the next day.

The second contest, eat whatever you want on the morning of prejudging. Just remember, the morning of any prejudging, don't drink any water until after the prejudging.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro,
As far as carb loading and stuff I got that down to a science. I keep it simple. I cut all sodium the week before the show and drink distilled water. I cut water down gradually 3 days out and the day before sip on ice cubes. As far as carbing up the day before its simple. As many potatoes as I can eat. and that is it. THe only thing that sucks is eating potatoes without water. This works great.

I followed your diet and you had allot of changes in it. I like to keep my diet simple. I have been eating the same food for like 9 weeks now. I still throw in lean steak 2 times a week. I still am at the same calorie intake I was at 6 weeks out. I have picked up my cardio to an hr a day plus posing. Along with the clen and T3 I am shredding nicely. I have a friend who moderates my usage on supps for me. It is just one thing I dont worry about with everything else I would rather have someone manage my diet and **** for me. It has worked out well, no stress. I will try to post some pics this weekend.

BigVrunga

BigVrunga

Awards
  • Established
You look awesome Nullidifan!! Huge props to you!! Really inspiring...

BV

Schwaugher

Awards
Next time you'll need someone directly infront of you to get some good pics of you. Congradulations on your contest man...next year i want that first place trophy in your hands. That one guy on the far left is the shortest competitor in the picture, at least that's what it looks like to me from that picture, it's hard to tell. So he might be...lets say 175.9999999 lbs. Anywhay, enjoy the off season man.

Atlas

Awards
Hey I was there to see Null kick ass and he did....he looked great for a first timer! There were guys there that you had to ask yourself, "Did he bother training or even dieting for this!?" I didn't know Null's real name so like a fool I yelled out Nullfidian!!! He saw me and like 10 minutes came down to greet me and thank me for the support. I would always support one of the AM family members! Seemed like a cool guy and he seemed to learn a bit from his first experience as we talked briefly before he went to go eat up and rest. Hey Null, if you can, email me, I have some diet questions for you bro, thanks!

TenMan

TenMan

Awards
Question... compared to other competitors what do you feel needs the most work?

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Question... compared to other competitors what do you feel needs the most work?
1) Conditioning
2) Shoulders
3) Chest

Personally I feel my arms could use some size, but in relation to the other competitors I was fine.

rysigpi

rysigpi

Awards
  • Established
I am reading about how the asparagus and celery seed made you really drop weight. Am I reading it right that they helped shed the water very well? Is that before you took any diuretics? Im thinking you used that a couple weeks before to start holding less water, then when you took the diuretics they worked even better? Any info is great.

Thanks

Ryan

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Water takes longer to drop than some anticipate if you don't take some necessary steps ahead of time. Diurretics are only really for the last couple of waterweight pounds; the ones your body typically refuses to give up undervirtually all conditions.

Yes, asparagus and celery seed worked phenominally well at helping to gradually drop water weight coupled with massive water intake.

I could have done even better if I had dropped sodium to next to nothing during the final week.

I took Aldactone Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday before the show. This was not optimal though because Aldactone takes a while to kick in, and really should be used starting from 5-10 days out. From what everyone at the comp said, dyazide is a much better choice since it works rapidly but is still potassium sparing.

Another option instead of taking a prescription diurretic is to drink a ton of dandelion tea. Dandelion root for me didn't work all that well and it caused some absolutely horrible stomach and intestinal pain. The guy who placed first in the Middleweight Novice said he drank cup after cup after cup of dandelion tea. He didn't count how much tea exactly but said he wouldn't be surprised if it was close to a gallon a day. Doesn't sound pleasant if you ask me; I'd rather use a diurretic.

Also, while some people are different, most at the comp said you don't need to drop water intake until the day of the show. Sure taper it down the night before, but only taper it, don't stop alltogether. That way the only time you arne't drinking any water is the morning before pre-judging. It prevents severe dehydration, and it doesn't hurt your conditioning at all. The guy who came in second in the overall Middleweight was drank 3+ gallons on Friday, and didn't stop drinking water until he went to sleep Friday night.

I was the only one at in my weightclass who had done a s-hitload. After having done it, I'll be honest, I'm not a believer. I think just doing a regular carb-up Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or even just Thursday and Friday would have worked the same. Saturday morning eat whatever you want, but don't stuff yourself or you'll get distension.

houseman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Tapering of water makes absolutely no sense.

The body will adjust to water being tapered. Just as it adjusts to water being increased and releases the water to unination/increased sweating, etc.

Halting water approximately 18-20 hours from pre-judging doesn't allow the body any chance to "adapt" to the tapering of your water. It knows to flush itself with regular orrucance as it had been doing for the previous 8+ weeks if your water intake was extremely high.

If I were you next time, I'd save up the cash and hire someone to plan your contest prep out for you. Not that you didn't do a great job as it is but as I followed your log you seemed to put a lot of effort and energy into recalculating your diet, training and intake which then of course came some second guessing. it worth the money to have peace of mind and simply do as what's written on a piece of paper in my opinion.

Maybe something to consider for next time?

Either way, good job for doing it on your own!

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
By taper, I mean, taper down from like 3 gallons to 1 gallon or 2. Your body will continue to flush at the same rate. It takes time for it to adapt, as you said. If you cut all water intake however, you risk dehydration. The longer you go without water the more you will suffer. You'll be tired, and less abel to hold your poses well. I know by the time I got on stage I felt like I was going to collapse and that was only 23 (5PM I stopped, about 3PM we went onstage) hours without water. Had it been 43 hours as you're suggesting I don't think I'd be able to stay concious.

Tapering of water makes absolutely no sense.

The body will adjust to water being tapered. Just as it adjusts to water being increased and releases the water to unination/increased sweating, etc.

Halting water approximately 18-20 hours from pre-judging doesn't allow the body any chance to "adapt" to the tapering of your water. It knows to flush itself with regular orrucance as it had been doing for the previous 8+ weeks if your water intake was extremely high.

If I were you next time, I'd save up the cash and hire someone to plan your contest prep out for you. Not that you didn't do a great job as it is but as I followed your log you seemed to put a lot of effort and energy into recalculating your diet, training and intake which then of course came some second guessing. it worth the money to have peace of mind and simply do as what's written on a piece of paper in my opinion.

Maybe something to consider for next time?

Either way, good job for doing it on your own!

theshocker21

Awards
  • Established
Great job null, your pics look great... Now if I could only beat your record in Seal Bounce.:hammer:

njmuscle66

DS Board Rep
Awards
Great job! I think your analysis of needing to be a little drier is right on. And a little improvement from the rear in terms of hamstrings. The Leigh Valley is a good show so that is certainly something to keep you motivated. Also i have found that the novice classes are sometimes even harder than the open since people are reluctant to move into the open even though they should be. You should be very proud of your placing, it was a competitive show. I am in the middle of contest prep for some june shows in PA

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Well, it looks like the Leheigh Valley contest I'll be in next year is of higher calibur. The guest poser this year is Jay Cutler. That pretty much says it all if you ask me.

My girlfriend is psyched to go see it on May 20th. She's a huge fan of Jay. I want to see it mostly to get some kind of idea of the type of competition it is.

njmuscle66

DS Board Rep
Awards
It is a good show. Couple people from my gym are competing and shoould do well. Judging from the pics you posted you will be very competitive next year. Train hard!:)

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Cutler seems to be maing the rounds, he will be at the New Englands, along with Palumbo. Now that is going to be a site. 10 days to go till I get up there. Man my body is starting to hurt

not_big_enuf

not_big_enuf

Awards
  • Established
Just found this thread (ask me what the hell I've been doing, I don't know) and man, it's really nice to see your hard work pay off. It's also great to see the transformation and get the day-to-day logs... very, very cool! For those of us that haven't done a show and want to, this will be very helpful.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
A little update on how things are going.

In another thread I mentioned my sleep apnea is really bad.

This is how I'm combatting it now:

1) water intake is steadily increasing. Goal of 2 gallons per day. This will drop water weight.
2) I'm back on Aldactone. light dose, just 1 tab in the morning. Will do that for 5 or 6 days.
3) I started EC 3x per day as well as 1mg of Ketotifen nightly. Why? EC is a mild diuretic. Ephedrine helps open airways. Ketotifen is an anti-histamine and reduces inflamation particularly in airways and sinuses. The two combined will hopefully help me breathe better at night.

My diet isn't yet back to 100% clean. We have leftovers from a BBQ, so I have cake in the evening when I come home from work. I'm not that concerned though. When its gone its gone; we have not and do not plan on buying or making any additional sweets. Other leftovers exist as well though; hamburgers and hotdogs. At some point I will do some grilling again. However, I think I can manage to set it up so I do those for planned cheat meals instead of going out to eat.

Current weight is holding steady at ... 205! ugh.

Workouts are tough. With the massive water retention pumps are fast acting and very painful. The pressure in my hands was unbelievable while doing bench press yesterday. Strength is not 100% yet, but I can't tell if it because of the pain from the pumps or because my strength really isn't there. I did manage for push myself into doing 8 reps at 275 on BB flat bench. But my hands were dark red from the pressure. I couldn't even touch my chest because my arms simply would let the bar go down that far. It was actually in a resting position a good 2 inches above my chest; that's how stiff everything is.

The past 2 weeks I was only able to do 2 workouts a week. Upper/lower split. Just too tired and sleepy to do more, sadly. Next week I'm going to force myself to do legs/push/pull. If I succeed I'll then try to go further to legs/chest/back/shoulders. I'll probably throw in a tricep exercise in on chest day and another on shoulder day. Close grip bench on chest day. Don't know yet what on shoulder day. I'm keeping everything big compound motions so far and want to keep it that way.

As for stuff I'm on, I'm into PCT, Clomid and light dose of Letro. Will switch to Nolva after 4 weeks and taper very slowly off the Letro.

Started GH at 2IU per day, 5 on 2 off this week. I have enough for 20 weeks, but plan to be on it for longer. Actually I plan to be on it up until a few weeks out from next year's contest.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
just be carefull, body is not equiped to deel with the stuff

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Taking a light dose. 5 or 6 other competitors recommended it to me at the contest that I use a light dose of a diuretic post contest. I didn't heed their warning and now I've got a big water retention rebound problem.

A number of people here at work, including a few folks with medical degrees have said I should take a diuretic. Actually just about everyone is telling me to, from co-workers to my friggin mother.

So, now I am.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
yo null. question. DIdi you happen to know anyone that took Dyazide. If so when did they start taking it? I want to start tomm. which is 6 days out, but not sure

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
yo null. question. DIdi you happen to know anyone that took Dyazide. If so when did they start taking it? I want to start tomm. which is 6 days out, but not sure
The consensus seemed to be that Dyazide is fast acting and Aldactone takes time to build up strength.

Most guys I talked to took Dyazide for 2 or 3 days before the show. I was the only one that took Aldactone, and everyone said they don't like Aldactone because you have to take it for 5-10 days for it to really work. Dyazide meanwhile can literally work overnight.

The way I took it, is that while I've never taken Dyazide, it seems like Dyazide works almost as fast as Lasix, but spares potassium so has fewer dangers with respect to electrolyte imbalance.

Apowerz6

Apowerz6

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Hey Ripped1 my friend took Dyazide on thursday night and his show was on Saturday, so it works quite well, and fast.

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
I will wait till Thursday night or friday depending on how much leaner I get. Thanks guys

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I will wait till Thursday night or friday depending on how much leaner I get. Thanks guys
yeah, strong diuretics will make you tired as all heck. If you start taking it too far out, I imagine it might wipe you out by the time the comp rolls in. Plus I don't know if it's wise to stay that dry for that long.

Make sure you have enough left over to take a low dose after the comp to prevent rebound.

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Ok, I went through the original high res pics my gf took, and cropped them so its just me. Then I cleaned up the lighting to get rid of some of the red tint, and in some pics brightened them. Anyway, I found I had some really good back definition. Check it out:

I actually had a cross-striated lower back! If I could only get that kind of definition in my hammies, lol.

Hehe, I look at those images and all I can think of it "have a Holly Jolly Christmas..."

Nullifidian

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here are also some front and side pics to go along:

Front Lat:

Front Relaxed (I had some wicked vascularity going on in my calves here):

And side tricep (I had some good seperation between hamstring and quad):

I needed more definition in my chest and hams and I needed more seperation in my quads. It's cool though that I managed to get some very slight cross striations in my quads.

I also wish my obliques had been tighter. They were only slightly striated. Next time I want them to be fully striated at nearly all times.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Those are nice man. I don't think I could get up on stage even if I was in that kind of condition. Lots of props to you guys that do it.

Atlas

Awards
Hey Null, you're being overly critical of yourself, you looked great for a first timer, now it's about taking what you learned and moving towards that next step. I think your side tri shot is your best alongside your front lat spread. Hey drop some knowledge on me bro, send me an email, got some ?'s to ask you!

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Null you look great, you learned how to compete and had fun doing it. In my show yesterday there were allot of guys who questioned there training. I was trying to tell all of them that they made it this far and should be proud of it. What you need to do is ask the judges on what you need to improve on. ya boy next year here we come

Ripped1

Ripped1

Awards
  • Established
Null send me your diet bro, Let me see what you are doing this time, \

I feel your pain, I am moving also this week, however I am enjoying the time with my girl and have had a few at the local chinese joint