Complex carbs supps vs simple carbs after workout ?

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
Well today, I had a protein blend with milk: so about 25g of protein and about 20g of simple carbs after my work out.

I then ate some chicken and sweet potato fries an hour later didn't track the macros.

Think the moral of the story is different things work for different people and also that a lot of different things work as well.

The history comment is like saying how did people get around back in the day w/o cars & planes, they walked; They could have went far, maybe not but in today's world there are much more efficient means of doing things and sometimes better ways to achieve things. :)

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
ive been doing 100g of simple sugars post but have tried a bunch of different methods and can say i dont see a real big difference between any of them

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Very poor argument. Look how skinny Native Americans were. Look how skinny current indigenous tribes are, both in South America and Africa. Our ancestors looked nothing like bodybuilders...
Of course they didn't. They didn't consume nearly as many calories, certainly consumed tons less crap calories overall, and probably moved more in three days than most of us do in a week. Our ancestors DIDN'T TRY TO LOOK LIKE BODYBUILDERS.

The point was our ancestors didn't do work and waste away because they didn't have access to simple sugars post-workout and shots of whey. They managed to have energy and managed to recover even without the "necessary" insulin spike occurring post workout was my point. Even without this they managed to lead much more active lives than your typical average gym goer. Obviously this may or may not be optimal, but it certainly brings the "you gotta have X, X, X immediately bro or you won't recover/have muscle/" into question.

As for the calling out Judo Josh it seems like he pointed out about 8 studies for his argument while you said the "general consensus" (yeah maybe in the 90's) is correct with no evidence backing you up. In the last 5 years the general consensus among a ton of people in the health and fitness industry has slowly moved away from the protocol that was gospel years back. I have no idea which way is the 100% correct answer and we may never know, but claiming you are the victor in this argument with Josh by saying the research is on your side (and conveniently leaving it out) is laughable.

And if you think it's settled you really haven't been paying attention to debates on any health and fitness forums in the last 5 years. A simple google search will show you just how much disagreement remains even by experts.

Vengeance187

Vengeance187

Awards
As for the calling out Judo Josh it seems like he pointed out about 8 studies for his argument while you said the "general consensus" (yeah maybe in the 90's) is correct with no evidence backing you up...but claiming you are the victor in this argument with Josh by saying the research is on your side (and conveniently leaving it out) is laughable.
I'm sure he keeps separate folders for different categories of research he reads on his computer, I just keep it in my head. Like I said, his research is merely on glycogen. Judo Josh can spoon feed you all he wants. Do your own research. It's not too hard to Google simple vs complex carbs and their effect on exercise induced cortisol production...

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm sure he keeps separate folders for different categories of research he reads on his computer, I just keep it in my head. Like I said, his research is merely on glycogen. Judo Josh can spoon feed you all he wants. Do your own research. It's not too hard to Google simple vs complex carbs and their effect on exercise induced cortisol production...
Strong science once again. Shame you keep all the good stuff in your head and won't share it with us. I've done plenty of research and basically completely changed my tune over the last few years (as many others have) at the lack of research showing the necessity for a bunch of sugars post-workout. It's certainly up for debate. You've clearly made up your mind and you refuse to show anything scientific so its worthless to discuss. I'd prefer to keep cortisol lower with shorter workouts and anecdotally I've seen better results when I quit ingesting all the "simple carbs" that everyone used to think was necessary, but n=1.

Then again I'd say simply looking at cortisol is short sighted...or does that only work if we are talking about glycogen and it helps your case?

Vengeance187

Vengeance187

Awards
The point was our ancestors didn't do work and waste away because they didn't have access to simple sugars post-workout and shots of whey.
The point is, yes bodybuilders would indeed consider being as skinny as they were as "wasting away".
Strong science once again. Shame you keep all the good stuff in your head and won't share it with us.
I'm not going to do the searching for you. Either do it or don't, I don't care either way.
I'd prefer to keep cortisol lower with shorter workouts and anecdotally I've seen better results when I quit ingesting all the "simple carbs" that everyone used to think was necessary, but n=1.

Then again I'd say simply looking at cortisol is short sighted...or does that only work if we are talking about glycogen and it helps your case?
No, even the research on glycogen shows faster replenishment with simple carbs. Judo Josh is just deducing that faster glycogen replenishment doesn't equate to increased protein synthesis. Protein synthesis and protein breakdown happen at the same time. What really matters is the synthesis to breakdown ratio. I'd rather work out harder and control cortisol with an insulin spike. To each their own I guess.
ive been doing 100g of simple sugars post but have tried a bunch of different methods and can say i dont see a real big difference between any of them
Yep. I eat candy, cookies, ice cream, products with HFCS post workout and I haven't had any increased propensity for adipose storage as Judo Josh claims. I'd much rather have sweets post workout than potatoes or oatmeal. Why wouldn't you if you had the choice with no real negative consequences?

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
Yep. I eat candy, cookies, ice cream, products with HFCS post workout and I haven't had any increased propensity for adipose storage as Judo Josh claims. I'd much rather have sweets post workout than potatoes or oatmeal. Why wouldn't you if you had the choice with no real negative consequences?

i agree its the best way to indulge in the sweets

Geoforce

Geoforce

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Well apparently your mind is made up then though it would be difficult for you to know the differences between the protocols. I have no idea how you would know you haven't had an increased propensity for adipose storage unless you've followed multiple different approaches and kept everything equal. People handle all sorts of things differently. If you want to consume a bunch of simple carbs post workout then go ahead, plenty of people do and would agree it is the optimal way. Plenty of people don't see the need for a huge insulin spike and plenty of people say that is the optimal way. Acting as if you've got the only answer that anyone could ever need is a little funny though.

Though I agree if one is going to indulge in sweets it is probably one of the best times. However that in no way suggests that indulging in the sweets is going to be better than other approaches and I think you'll be hard pressed to find research showing its necessity. It isn't like this is a new debate or anything, it's been ongoing for a while with no one really being able to show evidence that knocks the other way out of the ball park.

Rebel29073

Rebel29073

Awards
Immediately post workout: shake.

1hr later : tasty tuna sandwich. OM NOM NOM!
Assuming your referring to canned tuna I would suggest switching up your additional protein source (what seems to be your Post meal) with something with better bio-availability. The more processed the meat the less bioavailability of the nutrients.

In response to the thread I have introduced simple sugars into my post isolate shake and gone without simple sugars in my post Isolate shake...I saw no difference in the way of recovery or gains...

Last edited:
Vengeance187

Vengeance187

Awards
It isn't like this is a new debate or anything, it's been ongoing for a while with no one really being able to show evidence that knocks the other way out of the ball park.
Of course not. It takes too long to build muscle for that to happen. All you could hope for is a small difference that would add up over the years. It's like trying to prove cigarettes cause cancer. When it takes so long for it to happen you can never really prove it, which is why they're still not banned; but you'd be an idiot to say they don't.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh my..

Mr vengeance I apologize for my lack of responses here. I have been dealing with some family problems and in top of that my city lost power for about 2 weeks so checking AM hasnt been a priority for me. However, I will respond to your post, probably over the weekend when I have time a d am able to get to a PC. The cortisol question is a valid one but I dont believe it to be as black and white as you are making it out to be.

rhoadx

Awards
  • Established
Wow - someone needs to be EDUCATED! Carbohydrates do NOT make you fat! I get so sick of people spouting nonsense about carbohydrates being the cause of their fat and inability to lose it. Overeating and not exercising makes you fat - don't put the blame onto something else if one cannot be disciplined and take responsibility for their own body!

~Rosie~
agreed so much with this, it gets so old hearing sedentary people think that carbs are evil and making them fat. hey maybe they should try a little activity to actually USE the fuel they are taking in.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Okay, that's all how it relates to glycogen, now how about the research on cortisol? A higher insulin spike will blunt cortisol to a greater degree, and blunting cortisol has a corresponding decrease in muscle breakdown...
Please provide a reference for your statement if you have one

And for the record the presence of cortisol does not automatically equal protein breakdown will occur. The connection between cortisol and muscle loss is usually due to having chronically elevated levels of cortisol and not acute elevations. Remember cortisol follows a diurnal variation and is NEEDED by our body. Trying to prevent acute raises or trying to mess with the diurnal rhythm of cortisol is a waste IMO for those with normal levels.

In my opinion cortisol seems to have a very bad rap on these board (much like estrogen does) and people seem to forget these hormones serve a function.

Now onto the carb post workout, again please provide a reference to a study done in which they compare CHO/PRO to PRO in the post workout window as most of the ones I see compare to a placebo which really doesn't tell us much.

Still no comment?
So yes, I, Rosie, the general consensus, and the research are correct; and you are wrong...again.
Simply looking at glycogen replenishment is extremely short sighted.
Again..? Seems you have some sort of vendetta against me. Have I wronged you before?

And again, please provide any research you have and if it turns out I am wrong I will gladly admit so and will change my stance as I have done many times before. Nothing is ever set in stone in science as it is forever changing, the best we can do is look at the current available research and form opinions and from what I have seen and reviewed my opinion is that you dont necessarily NEED a huge dietary induced insulin spike post workout and a complex carb will be just as efficient PWO as a simple carb would be.

I perfer pubmed over google as google tends to return blogs with individuals misinterprtitions of research and not the actual research (although I hear google scholar is pretty good)

No, even the research on glycogen shows faster replenishment with simple carbs. Judo Josh is just deducing that faster glycogen replenishment doesn't equate to increased protein synthesis.
Not what I said at all. Please re-read my post

"Yes a large spike will refill glycogen faster but does this equate to a faster rate in muscle resynthesis? Does faster glycogen replenishment equate to increased protein synthesis?

From what I have seen, no."

So what I said was that refilling glycogen faster would not lead to a faster rate in muscle resynthesis and from what I have reviewed this is true. If you have something that shows a dietary induced insulin spike post workout leading to a faster rate in muscle resynthesis, then please share.

Lets give you the benift of the doubt here. Even if simple carbs did make a difference over complex carbs, how much of a difference would it actually make with regard to ones body composition? Would it even be a relevant noticable difference?

Yep. I eat candy, cookies, ice cream, products with HFCS post workout and I haven't had any increased propensity for adipose storage as Judo Josh claims.
n=1 is not relevant when discussing the effects of something on mass populations

Again sorry for the delay. I was dealing with a family problem and then my city got hit with a bad storm that resulted in 75% of the city loosing power for two weeks.. So I have been a tad bit busy and responding here really wasnt a priority at the time. Between school, work, family and life in general I have bery limited time and I apologize for not respinding as fast as you would have liked

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
You might find this interesting

http://www.springerlink.com/content/228h54586751g19l/fulltext.pdf

They find that while cortisol does have an association with catabolism they revel that an increase in cortisol is also correlated with an increases in type II muscle CSA and with an overall increase in lbm, although they do not identify a mechasim so there is only so much to say about the cortisol connection but it does beg to question your suggestion that cortisol is evil

I will add some more when I get some more time

Vengeance187

Vengeance187

Awards
Please provide a reference for your statement if you have one
I'll have to look for it again. I don't remember exactly what I was searching for when I came across it. It was on intra-workout though, which will have the same effect immediately post workout. In the mean time you can disprove what I've said as you said you would.
I already know in obese/diabetics carbs increase cortisol, so please don't post those studies as relevant.
And for the record the presence of cortisol does not automatically equal protein breakdown will occur. The connection between cortisol and muscle loss is usually due to having chronically elevated levels of cortisol and not acute elevations. Remember cortisol follows a diurnal variation and is NEEDED by our body.
Yes, it does. Cortisol will not selectively just break down fat. It's still breaking down muscle as it's elevated, it just doesn't outpace MPS under the right circumstances; and if it does, continued MPS could make up for it after levels decrease again. Cortisol is only NEEDED by our body to regulate blood sugar levels by breaking down fat and protein/amino acids into glucose. That's why when a healthy person ingests carbs it lowers cortisol...
Again..? Seems you have some sort of vendetta against me. Have I wronged you before?
I just don't like when someone is wrong and tries to pretend like they were right the whole time through semantics. You forgot already? I called you out on saying to someone they can't overtrain unless consistently training 90%+ 1rm...which is 100% false. It doesn't matter if it takes longer, it can still happen.
So what I said was that refilling glycogen faster would not lead to a faster rate in muscle resynthesis and from what I have reviewed this is true. If you have something that shows a dietary induced insulin spike post workout leading to a faster rate in muscle resynthesis, then please share.
By muscle resynthesis do you mean muscle glycogen resynthesis or muscle protein sythesis? So by "refilling glycogen faster" you just mean liver glycogen?
Lets give you the benift of the doubt here. Even if simple carbs did make a difference over complex carbs, how much of a difference would it actually make with regard to ones body composition? Would it even be a relevant noticable difference?
You wouldn't want an extra advantage regardless of how small? That's of course if your goal is building muscle as fast as possible, or natural and near your genetic limit so you need all you can to build any more muscle. If your goal is pure fat loss, then post workout carbs aren't as important.
n=1 is not relevant when discussing the effects of something on mass populations
It's not nearly an n=1. You should already know of the "if it fits your macros" movement and the shredded people that use/advocate it. I only eat simple carbs post workout, and they eat simple carbs when ever they want.
You might find this interesting
"The original findings of Hartman et al. (2007) showed that gains in LBM were greatest in milk drinkers versus soy or carbohydrate drinkers; however...then by converting to a standardized score based on nutritional group means and standard deviations, we could compare gains in LBM based on testosterone response without the ‘bias’ of the nutritional intervention....cut-off levels of +3 and -3 were used since they distinguished the same proportion of the sample (i.e., top and bottom *16%)."
They're comparing the data from a study that showed milk had the greatest LBM gains vs soy or carbs(protein+carbs vs protein vs carbs, the exact type of study you were asking for, of course with a protein variance), and then they're taking out the nutritional aspect? Then going further and taking out 68% of the test subjects? No, I don't find "studies" where they manipulate data to this degree that interesting.
They find that while cortisol does have an association with catabolism
You're just now finding this out?
they revel that an increase in cortisol is also correlated with an increases in type II muscle CSA and with an overall increase in lbm, although they do not identify a mechasim so there is only so much to say about the cortisol connection but it does beg to question your suggestion that cortisol is evil
Again, no. They don't identify a mechanism because there isn't one. With enough manipulation of data you can make anything look like anything. Not to mention the GH graphs are near identical to the cortisol graphs, yet they came to the conclusion that they did? At least they admit "data points in the correlation analyses were generally dispersed", that the correlations were weak, and "phrased simply, subjects at the top *16% in terms of resistance exercise phenotypic responses were no different from those at the bottom *16% in terms of the acute response of testosterone, GH, IGF-1 and cortisol". It's a poor study to pick to prove your point.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just don't like when someone is wrong and tries to pretend like they were right the whole time through semantics. You forgot already? I called you out on saying to someone they can't overtrain unless consistently training 90%+ 1rm...which is 100% false. It doesn't matter if it takes longer, it can still happen.
Sure you aren't confusing me with someone else?

(I am on my phone and multi quoting is a pain with the app so I will respond to everything else later when i am at a PC but I wanted to respond to this now as I am not a fan of being accused of something I didnt do.)

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Sure you aren't confusing me with someone else?

(I am on my phone and multi quoting is a pain with the app so I will respond to everything else later when i am at a PC but I wanted to respond to this now as I am not a fan of being accused of something I didnt do.)
He's thinking of me and this is his MO.

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established