Chris T's journey to powerlifting

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Seriously! Ive been watching them since they first started. A huge fan. Ive been watching travis pastrana since he was 17 competing at the xgames

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
As far as i know hes still competing freestyle motox

Socalmk6gti

Socalmk6gti

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
As far as i know hes still competing freestyle motox
Watched him kill it back in 2008 at La County Fair. He was incredible back then. I'm still amazed at what they can do on those small courses.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Yeah all those guys are completely nuts. Blows my mind. I heard a dudes been working on the triple flip on a dirt bike. They got it already on a bmx but now they're looking to get it on a motorcycle

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Chest and arm accessory day... Kinda. Mostly just hit what i feel are my weak points. I worked out way earlier this morning so im kinda going off of memory here. Got busy after lifting and then got a migraine im working on right now so bear with me.

Incline Bench Press

135x10
155x10
185 5x5
205x4 (just to feel it out)

Seated DB shoulder press

70x8
80x6
75x8
70x8

Was going to superset that with something but the gym got crazy busy for a minute so i kinda had to just go with the flow.

Incline DB press ss/ incline DB fly
70x10/40x8
75x10/40x8
80x8/40x8
90x6/40x8

Preacher curls SS/ Skullcrusher SS/ EZ Curl bar front raise
80x10x4/90x10x4/40x10x4

Tricep OHP ss/ hammer curls

90x8x3/40'sx8x3

Note: Pump has been ridiculous on this Monopump. Ive had all day fullness and the pumps while training are like nothing ive ever experienced.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
So i would like to ask some of you fellas a question. You got any tips for cutting fat? Im gonna logging Nutraceutical Innovations Burn Xtreme and i want to go all out and get shredded and need some pointers from more experienced guys MrKleen73

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
More compound movements with higher intensity. Treat accessories as they are and not make them a main priority. They're fun because they're not nearly as stressful, but they don't create the EPOC or enzymatic adaptations from compounds.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
The cube kingpin layout i have only has 1 day for each big lift per week. You think i should add another? Right now im just trying to build up my base and get stronger and fill in my weak spots.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
The cube kingpin layout i have only has 1 day for each big lift per week. You think i should add another? Right now im just trying to build up my base and get stronger and fill in my weak spots.
As voluminous as kingpin is, its kind of hard to up the frequency in my opinion. My advice for everyone is to start off running a program as faithfully as possible, and after ten weeks when you test your results, see if you can't build a better mousetrap on the next cycle.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
As voluminous as kingpin is, its kind of hard to up the frequency in my opinion. My advice for everyone is to start off running a program as faithfully as possible, and after ten weeks when you test your results, see if you can't build a better mousetrap on the next cycle.
So what does that mean? I dont want to just train 3 days a week. The gym is my me time lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well you can follow the program to a T regarding doing everything it says and still add some sled work in. Extra sled work won't really effect your recovery but will burn tons of energy, as well as add a good amount of volume to your training. I would do some GPP stuff and some beach muscle work on the other 3 days things like feeder sets and stuff. Just make sure you are not doing something that takes away from the main lifting days of the program.

As far as diet, lots of options brother. Lots of PL guys have moved over to Carb Back Loading to cut weight without cutting into performance. You can do a 5-10% reduction in total calories maybe even more depending on how aggressive you want to be with it. The more aggressive the cut the more likely some strength and performance will be lost but you will have to feel that out for yourself. Of course it is also very easily regained when you return to maintenance or a caloric surplus. So unless you are training for a specific meet that s coming up soon you can just choose based on how lean you want to end up in a month. As far as macros, you can take the reduction even across the board or however your prefer or feel works best for your body.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Well you can follow the program to a T regarding doing everything it says and still add some sled work in. Extra sled work won't really effect your recovery but will burn tons of energy, as well as add a good amount of volume to your training. I would do some GPP stuff and some beach muscle work on the other 3 days things like feeder sets and stuff. Just make sure you are not doing something that takes away from the main lifting days of the program.

As far as diet, lots of options brother. Lots of PL guys have moved over to Carb Back Loading to cut weight without cutting into performance. You can do a 5-10% reduction in total calories maybe even more depending on how aggressive you want to be with it. The more aggressive the cut the more likely some strength and performance will be lost but you will have to feel that out for yourself. Of course it is also very easily regained when you return to maintenance or a caloric surplus. So unless you are training for a specific meet that s coming up soon you can just choose based on how lean you want to end up in a month. As far as macros, you can take the reduction even across the board or however your prefer or feel works best for your body.
Thanks brother. Yeah im not training for a specific meet right now im just getting to where i want to be first as far as strength and weight and BF% and then ill think about getting my card and signing up for meets and whichever fed ill compete in.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
So what does that mean? I dont want to just train 3 days a week. The gym is my me time lol
Well with Cube there is always a bodybuilding/weak point focused fourth day.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Well my deal is i like to work out 6 days a week and if i dont i get fat and grumpy. So its kind of a necessity lol

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Well that makes 2 squat sessions in a row i had to fight against the urge to puke. Fun stuff

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Squats
3x12@290

Oly squats
2x5@315

Paused squats
3x8@275

DB walks
3x30sec 80's

Lying leg curls
3x15@110

Notes: this rep range killed me my legs were so pumped i could barely walk and i struggled in the higher reps. Especially doing the higher reps that heavy. I usually dont do more than 5 reps with anything over 225.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Nice work and understandable desire to puke.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Satisfy my ego how? Cause i dont want to get fat or what?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Satisfy my ego how? Cause i dont want to get fat or what?
Having to train 6 days per week. You've had several people whom are more experienced than you in PL'ing tell you that 6 per week isn't optimal. If you can train that often, you either have amazing genetics, are on a **** load of gear, or have incredibly low volume and intensity each day.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Having to train 6 days per week. You've had several people whom are more experienced than you in PL'ing tell you that 6 per week isn't optimal. If you can train that often, you either have amazing genetics, are on a **** load of gear, or have incredibly low volume and intensity each day.
I train 6 days a week.

Come at me bro.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I train six days a week cause i like it. Im not preparing for a specific meet and i dont like taking 3-4 days off a week. Im more worried about what i enjoy doing and doing it for me than training in the most optimal way for a meet.

jimbuick

jimbuick

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally would not add extra training days to cube.

But the volume for each day is pretty high.

My main work days are relatively low volume, at least compared to Kingpin.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Im only adding training days to keep myself busy. Im not training overly hard on the extra days. Just doing it to trigger some extra muscle growth and keep myself from getting fat. And to keep myself happy. I get grumpy if i dont train and get my frustrations out.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I train 6 days a week.

Come at me bro.
I'll see you in October.

I train six days a week cause i like it. Im not preparing for a specific meet and i dont like taking 3-4 days off a week. Im more worried about what i enjoy doing and doing it for me than training in the most optimal way for a meet.
Kinda odd since the log is called a powerlifting log.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Well thats the end goal bro. But i havent signed up for a meet yet.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
And if Im not training optimally that's my business. But i feel like im recovering fine.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
I'll see you in October.

Kinda odd since the log is called a powerlifting log.
As it stands im going to see where im at after these ten weeks and decide on a meet and all that.

herderdude

herderdude

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can understand as I get 5-7 sessions In a week, but for lower body I often split my main move and assistance. If you're going to be going that often, I highly recommend you do like Kleen said and make almost all of that extra work sled work. It won't cut into recovery as much as regular training. I'd also switch out pause squats to box squats and spoto presses to pin presses for the same reason. Breaking up or eliminating the eccentric is an easy way to cram more work in.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Well thats the end goal bro. But i havent signed up for a meet yet.
Even when no meet is on the horizon, the training stays relatively the same in terms of frequency. Volume and intensity obviously change, but not a huge change in frequency.

I haven't done a meet since August and didn't plan on doing one until about 2 months ago, but little changed to my template outside of working on weaknesses.
You planning on doing that meet now?
Go raw so I have a chance to outlift you.
Gear whore for life.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Even when no meet is on the horizon, the training stays relatively the same in terms of frequency. Volume and intensity obviously change, but not a huge change in frequency.

I haven't done a meet since August and didn't plan on doing one until about 2 months ago, but little changed to my template outside of working on weaknesses.
Well im not gonna cut my training in half right now. I do it so i can be happy. Im more worried about that then training optimally. If i get competitive then ill start training more optimally. But right now im lifting when i feel like lifting.

Thanks for your input.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Well im not gonna cut my training in half right now. I do it so i can be happy. Im more worried about that then training optimally. If i get competitive then ill start training more optimally. But right now im lifting when i feel like lifting.

Thanks for your input.
Another option would be to make one day you would go in to the gym a mobility day. There are a lot of great mobility exercises that if you string them together for 30-45 minutes you will get a pretty good body weight workout, burn some fat, and reap the benefits of all the mobility work.

If you don't have access to a sled I can tell you how to make a tire sled super easy. They are cool because with a rope and a weight belt you can pull them, or run with them. You can also tie loops into the end of another piece of rope for handles and use it for pressing and rowing as well.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Another option would be to make one day you would go in to the gym a mobility day. There are a lot of great mobility exercises that if you string them together for 30-45 minutes you will get a pretty good body weight workout, burn some fat, and reap the benefits of all the mobility work.

If you don't have access to a sled I can tell you how to make a tire sled super easy. They are cool because with a rope and a weight belt you can pull them, or run with them. You can also tie loops into the end of another piece of rope for handles and use it for pressing and rowing as well.
Good idea. That might work out for me that tire sled idea. I dont have access to a prowler or anything cause i work out at a christian based commercial type gym.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established

The type of gym where i got in trouble for taking my shoes off to deadlift and get a warning when i put the weight down too hard. But its whatever. Ill put up with it til i can afford a better option.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I did mine very simple, went to the tire shop and asked if they had any throw away tires I could have to make a sled. They just gave me one free. I did have to let them drill a hole in it so they knew I wouldn't use it on a car. Liability reasons... can't blame them. I just had them drill it where I was going to put the u-bolt through the tire. I went home lined up the U bolt and drilled the second hole into the tread and forced the u bolt through the tread and then tightened it up in back. Now I had something to tie a rope or a chain off too. Went to the store and got a few D clips attached a chain to it and tied a rope to the other end for dragging. Obviously I could have just tied the rope to the u-bolt and been done there though. After that I just put two pieces of wood down inside the tire to make a platform and screwed them together. Now I can add weight.

As a space saving tip no need for a big tire. Just big enough a 45 plate fits inside. The rubber to ground causing high friction you don't much weight for it to feel EXTREMELY heavy so no need for a bigger tire to add weight.

tire outside.jpg

tire sled inside.jpg

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Huh... Thats a nifty contraption. Thanks bro.

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Im not very creative so having something like that i can use to work off of is a big help thank you

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Im not very creative so having something like that i can use to work off of is a big help thank you
No problem, I would definitely drill through the threads, I see a lot of people just wrap a chain around the tire but you don't get anywhere near the friction that way and would need more weight. With this 90 lbs is extremely challenging. If you don't have weights go get a 50lb bag of pea gravel for $3.00-$4.00 to drop in there. Then just tape around the bag with duct tape to reinforce the bag and you can load it that way without spending much on weight.

It isn't pretty but it is effective!

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
Bench day
Comp bench
135x15
185x12
225 8x3

CGBP
225 2x5

Bench paused 1" off chest
205 3x8

Incline DB press SS/ incline DB fly
70x10/40x10
80x8/45x10
80x10/45x10

Standing EZ curl SS/ skullcrushers
80x12x3/90x10x3

christ83189

christ83189

Awards
  • Established
So my wife got these plastic compartment drawer things that we put our clothes in in the closet. This morning i was going to get a pair of socks and the drawer was stuck. I accidentally ripped the front of the drawer off trying to get it unstuck lol dang it

Attachments

smith_69

smith_69

Awards
So my wife got these plastic compartment drawer things that we put our clothes in in the closet. This morning i was going to get a pair of socks and the drawer was stuck. I accidentally ripped the front of the drawer off trying to get it unstuck lol dang it
76232951-3e7b-42bc-bcf1-a3c176b57188.png

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
See I told you that you were getting stronger! :)

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I was waiting for her to say "thats it no more gym for you!" lol
She is probably loving all of your new muscle and wouldn't think of that right now. LOL