Chris Benoit found dead

prld2gr8ns

prld2gr8ns

Idiot Savant
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow. He handled himself incredibly well in that interview... alot better than I would have. My blood was boiling just watching that nonsense (maybe it was roid rage).
Yeah, he did. I especially like the part where he said," I don't know if any of that is true..... and neither do you."

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
making distastefull jokes at someone else's expense doesnt make you strong it just lets everyone else see your insecurity, weakness, lack of understanding, lack of respect, lack of integrity, lack of courtesy...i can go on and on.
If it was your family that you are making fun of it might be different.

you think laughing in the face of tragedy makes a person strong... I'd hate to be you
I'd hate it if you were me too. I like having balls and a different outlook where death isn't something to be feared like the boogey man.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
To me in indicative of coping in a way that allows you to stay sane but it should still be done in a manner that fits the surroundings. Remembering that others mourn in different ways is just being respectful even if you do it in a much different way.
I likely wouldn't make jokes in front of his family out of respect for this very fact. The AM message board might be considered a little looser venue.

Totality

Totality

Banned
Awards
Espn has a new cover story on this, and it is still somewhat surreal. Just from a parents perspective, it seems odd. The more they discuss Benoits suicide it seems very well thought out. Basically using a lat pull down and tying it, then releasing 240lbs. I wonder if he had thought this out more than we know?

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Wow. I kinda expected to see some bad responses. Seems CDB took the fall rather than me. CDB and I have similiar views i think. I pity and mourned the situation but im not gonna sit here and stay all sad about a tragic situation when tragedies happen all the time. So another famous person gets his story out there and everyone follows in closely like its some kind of sitcom. So i guess i cracked a 'tasteless' joke on a sad matter....im so heartless. So if you see a homeless person begging for food, do you feed him? you dont take him to a buffet? youre heartless!!!! lol. come on boys...whats done is done i dont feel like i should take the statement back or apologize, I know where i stand. Its a unfortunate event simple as that. Ive been laughed at in my miserable moments as well, no biggie. Im still breathing and it makes me stronger to be pushed passed the norm, by me, and by others.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Wow. I kinda expected to see some bad responses. Seems CDB took the fall rather than me. CDB and I have similiar views i think. I pity and mourned the situation but im not gonna sit here and stay all sad about a tragic situation when tragedies happen all the time. So another famous person gets his story out there and everyone follows in closely like its some kind of sitcom. So i guess i cracked a 'tasteless' joke on a sad matter....im so heartless. So if you see a homeless person begging for food, do you feed him? you dont take him to a buffet? youre heartless!!!! lol. come on boys...whats done is done i dont feel like i should take the statement back or apologize, I know where i stand. Its a unfortunate event simple as that. Ive been laughed at in my miserable moments as well, no biggie. Im still breathing and it makes me stronger to be pushed passed the norm, by me, and by others.
No sweat, bro.

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
what you just said makes sense, i just dont see how CDB thinks you become a stronger person when you make fun of someone else's misfortunes. There is nothing good about making fun of a mom and her kid geting murdered. Doing something like that and thinking your cool just brings out your trashy character. Facing tragedy and not letting it have a negative affect on you.. that is strength. Laughing and making distastfull jokes about a tragedy is cowardly. There is a thing called RESPECT,
sure this is a forum and people say what they want and thats fine.. i just come from a background where respect is a big thing and it just irritates me when i see someone show utter disrespect about something then try to convince people that disrespect = strength and people actually believeing that garbage!

PHWSSJ

PHWSSJ

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I'd hate it if you were me too. I like having balls and a different outlook where death isn't something to be feared like the boogey man.
i never said i feared death.... i dont know where you got that from, i guess you couldnt thing of anything to say because i called you out and now you have to make up more silly comments.

The only thing i fear is God and thats it.

The fact is you have no balls, all the steroids you take shrunk them and now your living in denial.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Espn has a new cover story on this, and it is still somewhat surreal. Just from a parents perspective, it seems odd. The more they discuss Benoits suicide it seems very well thought out. Basically using a lat pull down and tying it, then releasing 240lbs. I wonder if he had thought this out more than we know?
I wonder if he entered it into his workout log first.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Ive been laughed at in my miserable moments as well, no biggie. Im still breathing and it makes me stronger to be pushed passed the norm, by me, and by others.
Exactly. It used to be a quintissential trait of Americans that no matter how bad things got they could laugh and crack a joke. Now everyone's all serious all the time. Life is not that serious. Wacky and tragic **** happens. If you have to sit there and mourn each event as if your mother just got axed, you'll go nuts.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
i never said i feared death.... i dont know where you got that from, i guess you couldnt thing of anything to say because i called you out and now you have to make up more silly comments.
You fear it because you can't laugh at it. Everyone dies, some worse than others.

The only thing i fear is God and thats it.
God is a pussy,

The fact is you have no balls, all the steroids you take shrunk them and now your living in denial.
Nope, they're full and active, happy to tell you. I'm just not looking to throw on a black suit and mournful face for every fly that gets swatted in this world. Sue me. I'm with George Carlin, you can joke about anything. And public mourning is fake BS in my opinion. The world has to stop while everyone who experiences a loss plants a white cross on the road and then goes on Oprah to get 'closure'. Nobody takes the punch anymore and just moves on with their life. To me that's a lot more of a loss than anything a few tasteless jokes might add up to.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You fear it because you can't laugh at it. Everyone dies, some worse than others.

God is a pussy,

Nope, they're full and active, happy to tell you. I'm just not looking to throw on a black suit and mournful face for every fly that gets swatted in this world. Sue me. I'm with George Carlin, you can joke about anything. And public mourning is fake BS in my opinion. The world has to stop while everyone who experiences a loss plants a white cross on the road and then goes on Oprah to get 'closure'. Nobody takes the punch anymore and just moves on with their life. To me that's a lot more of a loss than anything a few tasteless jokes might add up to.
well said. can we just leave this alone and get back to the thread topic now?

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Update on Benoit tragedy

Tox reports came in today:

Credit - Richard Gray, WrestlingNewsWorld.com

The press conference begins with District Attorney Scott Ballard briefing the public on the case. He says that today we are here to talk about one component of the investigation and that is the toxicology results.

Ballard hands the podium over to a doctor who says that they found Hydrocodone and Xanax in the system of Nancy Benoit. The doctor says that the levels were at therapeutic levels and she had a 0.184 blood alcohol level. However, he says that they are unable to tell if she had drank alcohol because the blood alcohol level was due to the decomposition process of her body.

Daniel Benoit had Xanax at elevated levels in his system. It is their opinion that Daniel was sedated prior to the time he was murdered.

Chris Benoit's system was positive for Xanax and Hydrocodone. Both were at therapeutic levels. The only steroid found in Benoit's system was testosterone. It was found in elevated levels which indicate that he was taking it prior to his death.

No evidence of GHB in any of the three bodies.

Leggo my Ego

Leggo my Ego

Awards
  • Established
Very interesting... I wonder if they're gonna demonize testosterone in the same light as the were "steroids" (now that we know it was just test and not something a little more taboo like tren, anadrol or the likes)

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Benoit’s body contained 10 times the normal level of testosterone.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
http://www.comcast.net/sports/index.jsp?cat=SPORTS&fn=/2007/07/17/716684.html&cvqh=itn_benoit

DECATUR, Ga. - Pro wrestler Chris Benoit had a steroid and other drugs in his system when he killed his wife and young son last month and hanged himself in the family's home, investigators said Tuesday.

Benoit's body contained 10 times the normal level of testosterone, as well as the anti-anxiety drug Xanax and the painkiller hydrocodone, authorities said.

The testosterone, a synthetic version of the primary male sex hormone, is considered an anabolic steroid. The state's top medical examiner said it appeared to have been injected shortly before Benoit died.

Dr. Kris Sperry said there was no evidence of any other steroids in the wrestler's body, and nothing to show that steroids played a role in the death of Nancy and Daniel Benoit. He also said the boy appeared to have been sedated when he was asphyxiated, and Benoit's wife had a "therapeutic" level of sedatives in her body.

Sperry said there is no consensus that the use of testosterone can contribute to paranoia, depression and violent outbursts known as "roid rage."

"This a question that basically no one knows the answer to," Sperry said. "There is conflicting scientific data as to whether or not testosterone creates mental disorders or leads to outbursts of rage," he said. "There's data that suggests it and other data that refute it."

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Benoit tested negative for alcohol.

Benoit killed his wife and 7-year-old son, placed Bibles next to their bodies and then hanged himself on the cable of a weight machine. After the slayings, prescription anabolic steroids were found in the family's home, raising questions about whether the drugs played a role in the killings.

Benoit's wife, Nancy, tested positive for Xanax, hydrocodone and the painkiller hydromorphone. Daniel Benoit had Xanax in his system, authorities said.

The GBI said it could not perform tests for steroids or human growth hormones on the boy because of a lack of urine.

Federal authorities have charged Benoit's personal physician, Dr. Phil Astin, with improperly prescribing painkillers and other drugs to two patients other than Benoit. He has pleaded not guilty.

Investigators have also raided Astin's office several times since the deaths, seizing prescription records and other documents.

Before he was charged, Astin told the AP he prescribed testosterone for Benoit, a longtime friend, in the past. He would not say what, if any, medications he prescribed when Benoit visited his office June 22, the day authorities believe Benoit killed his wife.

World Wrestling Entertainment last screened Benoit for steroids in April. It said the results released Tuesday were proof Benoit did not test positive for illegal substances.

"All it means is that scientifically, it's now known that sometime between April 10 and when he died, he had treatment with testosterone," said Jerry McDevitt, a WWE attorney. "That's all it establishes."

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Not sure if anyone still following/interested in the story - but a new article/report today:

AP: Doctor describes Benoit brain injury
Posted by Ashish on 09.05.2007

New AP story with more details....

Doctor describes Benoit brain injury
By HARRY R. WEBER Associated Press Writer

ATLANTA — Pro wrestler Chris Benoit suffered brain damage from his years in the ring that could help explain why he killed his wife, son and himself, a doctor who studied Benoit's brain said Wednesday.

The analysis by doctors affiliated with the Sports Legacy Institute suggests repeated concussions could have contributed to the killings at Benoit's suburban Atlanta home.

The wrestler's father, Michael Benoit, told reporters Wednesday that he knows his son had concussions because his son told him so. But he also said he knows of no medical records or records kept by the wrestling league to support the diagnosis.

Steroid use also has lingered as a theory behind the killings, since anabolic steroids were found in Chris Benoit's home and tests conducted by authorities showed Benoit had roughly 10 times the normal level of testosterone in his system when he died.

The institute, which researches the long-term effects of concussions, coordinated the testing using samples of Benoit's brain tissue provided by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.

The Waltham, Mass.-based institute's president is former pro wrestler Christopher Nowinski, who has said he had to quit the ring after a kick to the head. Nowinski still has ties with World Wrestling Entertainment Inc., which runs the league he and Benoit were in.

A lawyer for Stamford, Conn.-based WWE did not immediately return a call Wednesday seeking comment. The company has maintained steroid use did not cause Benoit to snap.

Despite the results of the institute's tests, there was no way to know if Benoit's concussions contributed to the murder-suicide, said Dr. Robert Cantu, a member of the institute who also is chief of neurosurgery service at Emerson Hospital in Concord, Mass.

"Whether it is the sole factor I believe is speculation and I will not go there," Cantu said by phone.

The level of brain damage Benoit had can cause depression and irrational behavior, Cantu said.

Benoit's brain showed the same degenerative processes that doctors working for the institute found in the brains of three men who had played pro football and committed suicide, Cantu said. There were abnormal protein deposits caused by trauma to Benoit's brain, Cantu said.

There's no evidence that steroid use causes such protein deposits, Cantu said, though he noted the issue has not been exhaustively studied.

Investigators allowed the institute to test Benoit's brain tissue with the permission of his father, who lives near Edmonton in Ardrossan, Alberta.

Michael Benoit said Wednesday that he agreed to the testing because murder-suicide was out of character for his son. He also disclosed that after the killings, he discovered a diary written by his son that showed his son was having problems.

"After reading the diary, I would have thought it was written by someone who was extremely disturbed at the time," Michael Benoit said.

He did not elaborate, but he did say a friend told him that prior to the murder-suicide, Chris Benoit had been wearing a rosary, which he said was also out of character.

"I think it's the extreme that is in the wrestling industry today," he told reporters. "The human skull is not built to get hit by a chair or something."

The father said he has not discussed with his attorney whether to take any legal action against the WWE or anyone else in the case. His attorney, Cary Ichter, said that at a later time he "will give thoughtful consideration" to appropriate steps to take in the "legal arena."

Nowinski said concussions can happen in pro wrestling even though many of the moves are staged.

"I got four concussions in three years as a professional wrestler," said Nowinski, who works for the WWE on its initiative to encourage young people to vote. "A lot of concussions happen from mistakes."

Prosecutors have said Benoit, 40, strangled his wife with a cord, used a choke hold to strangle his 7-year-old son, placed Bibles next to the bodies and hanged himself on a piece of exercise equipment the weekend of June 22.

Authorities have said Benoit's personal doctor, Phil Astin, prescribed a 10-month supply of anabolic steroids to Benoit every three to four weeks between May 2006 and May 2007. Astin has pleaded not guilty to federal charges of improperly prescribing painkillers and other drugs to two patients other than Benoit.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
Good find.

Scary how he had multiple concussions, and yet this was never entered into his medical/WWE records. I still think these wrestlers work too hard and too long - they need more time off to heal, etc.

I think I would be for the government stepping in and establishing some sort of mandatory 3rd party medical testing. If this 3rd party org does not clear a wrestler for any reason - they are not allowed to wrestle - period - until they are cleared. AND - the WWE must continue to pay them so there is less fear of working through and masking injuries just because they need the money.

Implement forced vacation times and limits to the number of days they can work. I doubt it would hurt their "product" all that much if at all. I'd rather see the wrestlers at their peak performance than hobbling by on an injury. Besides, WWE loves their "long awaited return of..." storylines anyways.

Boxers and UFC fighters take insanely long amounts of time between fights. Heck, even football players only play what, 1 game/week? The buildup for a match would be much better than what we have now - where you know the same guys are going to fight everyday for a month...boring.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
yep heard about that on ESPN.
who knew? 60+ blows to the head with a steel chair might alter brain chemistry.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I think I would be for the government stepping in and establishing some sort of mandatory 3rd party medical testing. If this 3rd party org does not clear a wrestler for any reason - they are not allowed to wrestle - period - until they are cleared. AND - the WWE must continue to pay them so there is less fear of working through and masking injuries just because they need the money.
The government has no right to get involved. It's a private, ENTERTAINMENT company. Does the government get involved when actors use AAS to gain or lose weight for certain roles? This is the problem with today's generation, they think the government is needed for everything in order for something to get done, which is not how it should be. Privatization, 95% of the time, works better and more efficiently than government ever can and will continue to do so.

As for the brain injuries, the damage has already been done by the mainstream media. Fcuk the media, they are all biased assh0les. It's impossible to find an unbiased journalist these days in mainstream media.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Privatization, 95% of the time, works better and more efficiently than government ever can and will continue to do so.
What works better is irrelevant. The government has no business telling people what they can and can't do with their own bodies.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
The government has no right to get involved. It's a private, ENTERTAINMENT company. Does the government get involved when actors use anabolic steroids to gain or lose weight for certain roles? This is the problem with today's generation, they think the government is needed for everything in order for something to get done, which is not how it should be. Privatization, 95% of the time, works better and more efficiently than government ever can and will continue to do so.
Obviously this private company is doing a piss poor job of protecting it's employees. Why do you think unions started? Why do you think the government has labor laws in place? If they didn't, forced 24hour overtime days would be common.

As for this 95% better thing - please tell me which 95% companies have a better safety and health rating than a government sanctioned operation.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
What works better is irrelevant. The government has no business telling people what they can and can't do with their own bodies.
It's not like the work schedule the wrestlers have is their own choice. It's not. Kurt Angle begged Vince McMahon for months to give him time off to heal when his neck broke - Vince never let him.
If a wrestler walks off the job at WWE due to medical reasons - where do you think they can work after that?

What other companies have such a stigma? I know I'd get time off my job if I broke my neck - and my job doesn't have me risking my neck every day anyways.

If it was purely their choice - I'd be fine with it.
But let's not delude ourselves into pretending these wrestlers actually have a choice - and don't give me "everybody has a choice" crap.
I can hold a gun to someone's head and say "you either suck my d1ck, lick my a$$ or I put a bullet in your head". Yeah - you always have a choice...

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Wrestlers DO have a choice. There is TNA wrestling, as well as house leagues. Sure, they may not pay as much, but if you want to roll with the big boys in WWE and make the big bucks, you better be willing to play with them, too.

There are also wrestling leagues in foreign countries. If you're not good enough, you're not good enough, simple as that. Fortunately, all humans aren't created equal. Professional wrestling is something that takes dedication, time, and talent. Majority of people don't have the talent.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Unions have positives and negatives, but more negatives. From a fiscal standpoint, unions are atrocious. There is no competition whatsoever.

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
It's not like the work schedule the wrestlers have is their own choice.
So someone came and said, "You will be a professional wrestler or I'll shoot you"? No, that didn't happen. They knew the schedule and what was expected before they joined.

If a wrestler walks off the job at WWE due to medical reasons - where do you think they can work after that?
If I walk away from my job for whatever reason, where do you think I can work after that? Do you dare suggest that my choice of employment is mine, and that I alone should bear the burden of finding employment more agreeable to myself if I don't like my current job? The horror, the horror...

What other companies have such a stigma? I know I'd get time off my job if I broke my neck - and my job doesn't have me risking my neck every day anyways.
Then perhaps wrestlers who don't like the medical allowances in their current occupation should trade in their tights and chairs for the atire and tools consistent with your job.

If it was purely their choice - I'd be fine with it.
But let's not delude ourselves into pretending these wrestlers actually have a choice - and don't give me "everybody has a choice" crap.
I can hold a gun to someone's head and say "you either suck my d1ck, lick my a$$ or I put a bullet in your head". Yeah - you always have a choice...
Ah, so someone did hold a gun to the head of every wrestler and force them into that occupation. Thanks for clearing that up.

Most people seem to be able to distinguish between a free choice and a coerced action. I'm glad to know now that all wrestlers were indeed forced into the trade, and are threatened with torture and death should they decide to leave for any reason.

You have no right to any particular job, much less to any particular benefits except those both parties mutually agree to. If you don't like one or more aspects of your job, be it wrestler or cubical rat, you can do what all responsible adults do and find another one. The idea that wrestlers are somehow coerced into their occupation and have no choice is pure bull****.

Sunder

Sunder

Awards
  • Established
So someone came and said, "You will be a professional wrestler or I'll shoot you"? No, that didn't happen. They knew the schedule and what was expected before they joined.
Reading was a requirement at my school, but obviously not yours. Please show me where I said wrestlers had a gun to their head.
What? What? You mean you just made that up? For shame...

As for knowing the schedule ahead of time - no - NWA/WCW was in existence at the time there would begin their schooling, and their schedules were much different. WWE's work schedule has also increased in the last 15 years.

If I walk away from my job for whatever reason, where do you think I can work after that?
I don't know. I do know that I wouldn't hire you, but I'm sure you'll find something...that doesn't involve reading.

Ah, so someone did hold a gun to the head of every wrestler and force them into that occupation. Thanks for clearing that up.
Sylvian learning college has great tutors to help with reading - I suggest enrolling.

I'm glad to know now that all wrestlers were indeed forced into the trade, and are threatened with torture and death should they decide to leave for any reason.
Is your entire argument based on something you decided to make up? Are you going to bring alien occupation into this too? I can't believe I wasted my time reading this, let alone actually responding this 1 last time.

The idea that wrestlers are somehow coerced into their occupation and have no choice is pure bull****.
Again, for what? The 4th time in this post, please show me where I said wrestlers were coerced into their occupation. Stick to the facts. I am saying wrestlers are coerced into their work schedules at the WWE. You'll never win a debate with false red herrings.

Look - I'll be honest, I really don't care what you think on the matter. You can agree or disagree - I don't care - I'm not trying to convince anyone.
Nor do I care if you feel the need to continue to make-up lies about things you wished I said.
I expressed my opinion, and now I'm done, as I have more important things to do - and seeing as how I am not a wrestler, changing their schedule is not exactly on my top list of priorities.

But please feel free to continue on without me - it's not like you're actually using my quotes anyways, lol. ;)

CDB

CDB

Awards
  • Established
Reading was a requirement at my school, but obviously not yours. Please show me where I said wrestlers had a gun to their head.
You said quite clearly they had no choice. The only alternatives are they were coerced into wrestling on that schedule, or they are mindless animals not competent to make choices for themselves.

As for knowing the schedule ahead of time - no - NWA/WCW was in existence at the time there would begin their schooling, and their schedules were much different. WWE's work schedule has also increased in the last 15 years.
Irrelevant. They can leave WWE. Just as, if you don't like your job you can leave and find another. That's called... a choice. Wow, how amazing...

I don't know. I do know that I wouldn't hire you, but I'm sure you'll find something...that doesn't involve reading.

Sylvian learning college has great tutors to help with reading - I suggest enrolling.
I suggest reading the forum rules. I also suggest you read what you write before you post it. In any event, were I in yours shoes, I'd gladly trade my prized literacy for the ability to think rationally, which you apparently lack at this point in time.

Is your entire argument based on something you decided to make up? Are you going to bring alien occupation into this too? I can't believe I wasted my time reading this, let alone actually responding this 1 last time.
Here is your original quote:

It's not like the work schedule the wrestlers have is their own choice. It's not.
Again, for what? The 4th time in this post, please show me where I said wrestlers were coerced into their occupation. Stick to the facts. I am saying wrestlers are coerced into their work schedules at the WWE. You'll never win a debate with false red herrings.
How are they coerced? Please, explain. I wait with baited breath to know how the WWE manages to shut down all other career options. I suppose the fry guy at McDonalds is being forced to work over a hot fryer too. After all there are more pleasant options for work and yet he stays there. It must be because he was coerced, and have nothing to do with the fact that he lacks any useful skills and his choices (there's that word again...) are more limited than someone with a PHD.

Look - I'll be honest, I really don't care what you think on the matter. You can agree or disagree - I don't care - I'm not trying to convince anyone.
Nor do I care if you feel the need to continue to make-up lies about things you wished I said.
I expressed my opinion, and now I'm done, as I have more important things to do - and seeing as how I am not a wrestler, changing their schedule is not exactly on my top list of priorities.

But please feel free to continue on without me - it's not like you're actually using my quotes anyways, lol. ;)
See above. The point remains anyway, quibbling over the specifics of what you originally said they had a choice over aside. No one forced them into wrestling, no one forces them to continue wrestling if they find the schedule disagreeable. They have, I don't know, what's that word? Oh yeah, they have what those who aren't completely mentally vacant call a 'choice'. Wrestle or don't. Unless of course there's a massive mystical power in the hands of the WWE that imprisons them and allows no other career options for the rest of their lives.

They made a choice. That you can't see it, or perhaps more to the point personally don't like the options McMahon presents or consider them reasonable, doesn't change the fact that no one is forcing them into the decision. They can take it or leave it. Or perhaps you honestly think if they decide to quit because the schedule is too demanding Vince McMahon will throw them into a pit of starving dogs? Or perhaps he's holding their families hostage over a pit of lava? All this time I thought he was a standard ego maniac, I didn't know he was actually an evil genius with an army of slave wrestlers who have no choice but to suit up in their tights, according to his outrageous schedule of course, and go forth and do battle with each other for His royal amusement.

Y2Jversion1

Y2Jversion1

Board Supporter
Awards
Update - Feb 5th

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5i-_s8NE5EV3xNHKCSpOWxIhhBWSw

Repeated concussions led to wrestler Chris Benoit's suicide says documentary
2 days ago

TORONTO - Canadian wrestling star Chris Benoit's brain was so badly damaged when he killed himself and his family that he shouldn't be held responsible for his actions, a new CBC documentary suggests.

Medical research indicates that Benoit's brain resembled that of an 85-year-old man with dementia at the time of his death, and that repeated concussions led to last summer's shocking murder-suicide.

"Steroid use couldn't have caused the damage he had to his brain," said Chris Nowinski, a former professional wrestler and author who prompted the analysis on Benoit's brain.

"The Fifth Estate" documentary, which airs Wednesday at 9 p.m., probes the circumstances surrounding the premature death of Benoit and dozens of other professional wrestlers.

"At this point, the odds are that his brain damage was the strongest factor in the event," Nowinski said, adding that more work is being done on the results.

The research was conducted by Julian Bailes, the head of neurosurgery at West Virginia University.

After Benoit and his family were found dead in their Atlanta home in June, some commentators speculated Benoit may have killed his family during an episode of steroid-induced rage.

When Nowinski heard about the wrestler's death, he called police and told them to examine Benoit's brain to see if concussions played a role in any episodes of rage or depression.

Nowinski has worked with researchers on former NFL players like Andre Waters and Terry Long, who both committed suicide.

"What were seeing is a pattern is a unique brain disorder caused from years of trauma," he said.

Out of six research subjects, three have committed suicide, he added.

Nowinski retired from the World Wrestling Entertainment in 2003 and suffers from debilitating headaches during half of his waking hours.

WWE chairman Vince McMahon has dismissed preliminary findings that have linked Benoit's suicide to concussions, saying he couldn't have functioned as a high-profile professional.

But Nowkinski said the research speaks for itself.

"His memory was good enough to function, but the other issues were certainly there in terms of his paranoia (and) depression ... he talked about memory problems in his own journal."

Broadcaster Bob McKeown, who wrote the CBC documentary, said the research is undergoing a peer review and will be published soon in the American Journal of Neurology.

McKeown said his own research found that wrestling is the most dangerous profession in the world per capita, with 21 deaths of professional wrestlers under 50 alone last year.

At five-foot-11 and 220 pounds, Benoit was known as a fierce competitor with superior technical skills.

When police discovered the bodies of the 40-year-old wrestler and his family, a Bible was reportedly found beside his wife Nancy and his young son Daniel.

Police also said Nancy Benoit's feet and wrists were bound and there was blood under her head.

Benoit, who was born in Montreal and grew up in Edmonton, became WWE's world champion in 2004 when he defeated Shawn Michaels and Triple H in a triple-threat match at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

He began his career in 1985 training with the Hart family in Calgary and competed professionally for the western Canadian-based Stampede Wrestling.

smackshosh

Awards
finally no roids... the media sure was quick to jump on that bandwagon... if he was a ripped wrestler he surely did roids and roid rage caused him to kill his family and himself... same with heath ledger... because he was a big star he surely did illegal drugs and thats what caused his death...
i bet nobody will even report this on the news...