cholesterol management

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Aside from fiber, cardio, omegas and a generally clean diet, what else can we do to keep our cholesterol in check? I'm looking for a supplement that I can take year round like a vitamin that can help keep my cholesterol in the good range. I use primobolan year round now and cycle random stuff and all my bloodwork and heart scans etc are fine. But I wanna be sure the lipids are good as well. What do we got fellas?

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
There are probably quite a few OTC supplements that you can use year round for cholesterol but the first ones that come to mind for me are citrus bergamot and fenugreek. Of course there are others like green tea extract, garlic, etc. You can also go with a single OTC cholesterol product that has a few of these ingredients.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
We will be releasing our Cardiovascular Support XT product within the next week or two and the purpose of the product is overall cardiovascular support including blood pressure, cholesterol, circulation, and blood flow support.

Then probably a month or so after that, we will be releasing our Cholesterol Support XT product that will be focused more specifically on cholesterol and healthy lipid levels and will be a great product for people that want the convenience of buying a comprehensive cholesterol support formula.

Some of the single ingredients that come to mind for me right away when I think of cholesterol support are:

Citrus Bergamot
Pantethine
Garlic

There are a couple more, but I don't want to put those out there yet bc they'll be in the product and the science behind them will be explained more in the write up.

Red Yeast Rice is a supplement that some people mention when discussing cholesterol supplements, but it does have some potential sides of its own - so I suggest people only take this if there is an actual need to - as in if you have a serious cholesterol issue that you need to address. It isn't something I would take just for general type supplementation.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yep. Red yeast rice is another one. There really are quite a few you can use and alternate between every 6 or 12 months if you want.
We posted at the exact same time and I mentioned Red Yeast Rice in mine; and I just wanted to clarify that me cautioning people on it wasn't a knock against your post at all. It was just coincidental timing haha.

Red Yeast Rice is great for cholesterol support but does have some potential sides, so I think of it as more of an 'oh crap, my cholesterol is bad, I need to work on getting it better asap' - moreso than a preventative maintenance ingredient if that makes sense.

Also, another caution on Red Yeast Rice - make sure to buy from legit quality brands. Now Food makes one and that would be my go to for adding this in.

Stacks1

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
We posted at the exact same time and I mentioned Red Yeast Rice in mine; and I just wanted to clarify that me cautioning people on it wasn't a knock against your post at all. It was just coincidental timing haha.

Red Yeast Rice is great for cholesterol support but does have some potential sides, so I think of it as more of an 'oh crap, my cholesterol is bad, I need to work on getting it better asap' - moreso than a preventative maintenance ingredient if that makes sense.

Also, another caution on Red Yeast Rice - make sure to buy from legit quality brands. Now Food makes one and that would be my go to for adding this in.
Haha all good. I can see that our posts came in at the exact same time. I wouldn't have been mad if it was a knock against my post anyway. The more info and discussion the better!

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Yeah I'm definitely looking for a full spectrum all around cholesterol supplement that contains a bunch of stuff. I'm reading about this one product called lipid stabil that's apparently designed for guys who juice but it doesn't have bergamont

Nac

Nac

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Id recommend looking up Dante Trudels instagram page, he had a huge post on cholesterol management and citrus bergamot awhile back. He doesnt post much so it should be easy to find it.

Without seeing the SNS product, one of the better multi ingredient products Ive seen is TBJP "love-heart" (Trained By Jordan Peterson).

If natural supplements dont cut it (youre taking PEDs afterall) then research Ezetimibe. Its not a statin, its MoA is different from what I can tell. But a few social media "commentators" (Vigorous Steve, MPMD) think its very effective, for whatever thats worth to you.

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Id recommend looking up Dante Trudels instagram page, he had a huge post on cholesterol management and citrus bergamot awhile back. He doesnt post much so it should be easy to find it.

Without seeing the SNS product, one of the better multi ingredient products Ive seen is TBJP "love-heart" (Trained By Jordan Peterson).

If natural supplements dont cut it (youre taking PEDs afterall) then research Ezetimibe. Its not a statin, its MoA is different from what I can tell. But a few social media "commentators" (Vigorous Steve, MPMD) think its very effective, for whatever thats worth to you.
Hell yeah dude I'll look into that. I don't have insurance anymore because I'm a tattooer now so I just get paid cash. Once in a while I'll call my doc which is like $50 for a phone call. We chat and discuss my diet. All my regular bloodwork comes back fine but since I got no insurance I haven't ran lipids in a couple years. Theyve always been good but I use primo now. Doc told me to just assume they're bad and eat clean and do cardio and whatever other natural things there are to do to keep cholesterol in check. Seems good enough for me.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
If you do look into Ezetimibe, I would encourage you to not just look into the people that praise it but also into the actual studies on it, as one of the main side effects is making people more prone to upper respiratory infections. I'm not saying its bad, its just one of those things where the research needs to be balanced and look at the pro's and con's of it.

I think in general, its more of a good choice for people that know they have high cholesterol and need to improve it.

You're kind of in a tough spot because you don't know for sure whether you do or not, so its hard to gauge whether you should be looking more at the supplement side or the prescription side of things if that makes sense.

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
If you do look into Ezetimibe, I would encourage you to not just look into the people that praise it but also into the actual studies on it, as one of the main side effects is making people more prone to upper respiratory infections. I'm not saying its bad, its just one of those things where the research needs to be balanced and look at the pro's and con's of it.

I think in general, its more of a good choice for people that know they have high cholesterol and need to improve it.

You're kind of in a tough spot because you don't know for sure whether you do or not, so its hard to gauge whether you should be looking more at the supplement side or the prescription side of things if that makes sense.
I don't think my cholesterol is completely destroyed but I do run primo year round now with my test and I frequently have my test higher like around 500mg with 300-400primo. I'm assuming this is going to be rough on the lipids however I have friends who use stuff year-round that is much harsher and their cholesterol looks not bad considering their diet and supplementation so I don't think I need something extremely drastic but more as a precautionary supplement plus a clean diet

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I don't think my cholesterol is completely destroyed but I do run primo year round now with my test and I frequently have my test higher like around 500mg with 300-400primo. I'm assuming this is going to be rough on the lipids however I have friends who use stuff year-round that is much harsher and their cholesterol looks not bad considering their diet and supplementation so I don't think I need something extremely drastic but more as a precautionary supplement plus a clean diet
Individual response can vary a lot with cholesterol in general. I know people that eat super healthy and have high cholesterol and then I know people that eat terribly and have perfect cholesterol.

I know that for me, mine was already a bit high last year before my accident and after that, I'd spent the rest of the year and beginning of this year eating terribly bc of depression and not being able to train at all. So I know that mine is probably pretty rough. But in my case, I know if I get it checked, I'll just be even more bummed and depressed than I already have been, so I'm going to try to target it with some supplements for a couple of months before getting it checked. I know that the common logic would be to get it checked before and after to see the improvement, but I know how seeing how bad my bloodwork probably is would really be a bad thing for me mentally, so I'm just going to see how it turns out after a few months of a targeted supplementation approach.

I'm taking our Cardiovascular Support XT product that we have in but haven't released yet (probably next week) and then some of the ingredients from our Cholesterol Support XT product that we will be releasing. I'm not trying to be vague, I just can't release all the ingredients in either formula yet, but some of the main ones that I feel will help with my cholesterol are Garlic, Terminalia Arjuna, Pomella, CoQ10, Citrus Bergamot, Pantethine, Bilberry, and more.

My plan is to get bloodwork done in a couple months and see where I am and then if my levels are off, I'll incorporate Red Yeast Rice into my regimen.

I looked into Ezetimibe, but I have really bad allergies and am prone to respiratory issues anyway, so the potential sides scared me off from it - I think it was like 1 in 20 people reported upper respiratory tract infections on it. Not saying that its necessarily bad, I'm just not comfortable with it given my own medical issues.

If I were you, if you wanted to target overall heart health in general and want to keep it simple I would go with our Cardiovascular Support XT product when we release it next week and then add on our Cholesterol Support XT product when we introduce it in probably a month or so.

I'm not trying to sell you on that at all - if you don't want to go that route, you can grab a lot of the ingredients as single ingredients and put together your own stack; the specific products that we're launching are just a targeted approach towards helping people that want to keep it simple get them all in one to two products.

If you want to discuss by pm, pm me and I can tell you more about what's going to be in Cardiovascular Support XT, but its going to have 3 ingredients that all have clinical studies done on them showing improved cholesterol levels.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Berberine
Ubiquinol/coq10
Curcumin
Niacin
Bergamot

Is a few staples of mine I use most of the year for overall health/lipids.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Individual response can vary a lot with cholesterol in general. I know people that eat super healthy and have high cholesterol and then I know people that eat terribly and have perfect cholesterol.

I know that for me, mine was already a bit high last year before my accident and after that, I'd spent the rest of the year and beginning of this year eating terribly bc of depression and not being able to train at all. So I know that mine is probably pretty rough. But in my case, I know if I get it checked, I'll just be even more bummed and depressed than I already have been, so I'm going to try to target it with some supplements for a couple of months before getting it checked. I know that the common logic would be to get it checked before and after to see the improvement, but I know how seeing how bad my bloodwork probably is would really be a bad thing for me mentally, so I'm just going to see how it turns out after a few months of a targeted supplementation approach.

I'm taking our Cardiovascular Support XT product that we have in but haven't released yet (probably next week) and then some of the ingredients from our Cholesterol Support XT product that we will be releasing. I'm not trying to be vague, I just can't release all the ingredients in either formula yet, but some of the main ones that I feel will help with my cholesterol are Garlic, Terminalia Arjuna, Pomella, CoQ10, Citrus Bergamot, Pantethine, Bilberry, and more.

My plan is to get bloodwork done in a couple months and see where I am and then if my levels are off, I'll incorporate Red Yeast Rice into my regimen.

I looked into Ezetimibe, but I have really bad allergies and am prone to respiratory issues anyway, so the potential sides scared me off from it - I think it was like 1 in 20 people reported upper respiratory tract infections on it. Not saying that its necessarily bad, I'm just not comfortable with it given my own medical issues.

If I were you, if you wanted to target overall heart health in general and want to keep it simple I would go with our Cardiovascular Support XT product when we release it next week and then add on our Cholesterol Support XT product when we introduce it in probably a month or so.

I'm not trying to sell you on that at all - if you don't want to go that route, you can grab a lot of the ingredients as single ingredients and put together your own stack; the specific products that we're launching are just a targeted approach towards helping people that want to keep it simple get them all in one to two products.

If you want to discuss by pm, pm me and I can tell you more about what's going to be in Cardiovascular Support XT, but its going to have 3 ingredients that all have clinical studies done on them showing improved cholesterol levels.
Let us know when it’s released, it sounds interesting.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How long have you cruised on Test/Primo? I’m debating on cruising on 200/200 or 200/100 but not sure if that’s too low to get any benefits from the Primo. My TRT dose is 200 Test C.

SSJ4GOD

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Berberine
Ubiquinol/coq10
Curcumin
Niacin
Bergamot

Is a few staples of mine I use most of the year for overall health/lipids.
You take slow release niacin at 500mgs? That’s what I do usually. 1 tab a day. Pretty good natural statin based on research before big pharma wrote a hit piece on it lol

Punkrocker

Punkrocker

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
How long have you cruised on Test/Primo? I’m debating on cruising on 200/200 or 200/100 but not sure if that’s too low to get any benefits from the Primo. My TRT dose is 200 Test C.
I been cruising on 400-500test and 300-400 primo for 2 years now lmao. Not to mention taking DBOL over the summer and jacking my test up to 1000mg plus 400masteron and 600primo and then EQ Lmaooo. Now im back to 500test 400primo. Recently had an opportunity to get a echocardiogram plus an echocardiogram stress test. Everything is looking good and healthy. Doc told me if I had any kind of blockage or impeding blood flow they'd see it. Regular labs are good as well. Lipids is the only thing I haven't seen in 2 years but generally my total cholesterol would be like 170 with a high HDL and Low LDL with low triglycerides like in the 20s. But that's back when I was on 200mg of test. I don't plan on using orals again and I also don't plan on increasing my test beyond 500mg. I'm about to start HGH at 2iu a day 6 days on 1day off which I think will help me get to where I wanna be. I'm currently testing my fasting glucose for a week first to get a baseline blood sugar before adding the growth to make sure I don't mess up my sugars

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I been cruising on 400-500test and 300-400 primo for 2 years now lmao. Not to mention taking DBOL over the summer and jacking my test up to 1000mg plus 400masteron and 600primo and then EQ Lmaooo. Now im back to 500test 400primo. Recently had an opportunity to get a echocardiogram plus an echocardiogram stress test. Everything is looking good and healthy. Doc told me if I had any kind of blockage or impeding blood flow they'd see it. Regular labs are good as well. Lipids is the only thing I haven't seen in 2 years but generally my total cholesterol would be like 170 with a high HDL and Low LDL with low triglycerides like in the 20s. But that's back when I was on 200mg of test. I don't plan on using orals again and I also don't plan on increasing my test beyond 500mg. I'm about to start HGH at 2iu a day 6 days on 1day off which I think will help me get to where I wanna be. I'm currently testing my fasting glucose for a week first to get a baseline blood sugar before adding the growth to make sure I don't mess up my sugars
That’s the most amazing thing I heard! Haha, I was planning on a more “responsible” cruise but hearing what you doing I might throw that out 😂

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Lots of great ones in here already mentioned now. The big things I’ve found are:

-Citrus Bergamot is the best supplement I’ve found that can substantially raise HDL. I was a little dismissive after some testing because bloodwork was only showing 4 points or so increase…but when you are under the 40 mark, 4 points is over a 10% improvement. This is worth the cost as a staple if low HDL is an issue (like for many AAS users).

-Ezetimibe was actually found by the VA to be just as effective at 5mg daily as 10mg, and 5mg nightly would lower my LDL over 10% on bloodwork with no perceived sides. If you need to go the pharmaceutical route, this is the one to try, because it’s as effective as statins without any of the sides like muscle trauma or diabetes that statins induce over time. But it can have adverse kidney reactions in some users rarely, so you must pull bloods ~a month in if not already working with a doctor to make sure you are doing as well as you feel.

-If LDL is the issue, lower sugar, more fiber & cardio, weight loss, & the supplements mentioned can easily do as much or more than Ezetimibe, and will also work well WITH Ezetimibe if really needing extensive intervention.

I’m of the impression that keeping trigs down and HDL up is the most important thing for managing risk of atherosclerosis, and controlling systemic inflammation. LDL may not be the demon it’s been painted, as even if it’s kept very low, if inflammation levels and metabolic environment are poor there’s still a real concern, but most of the supplements that lower LDL generally confer a multitude of health benefits (garlic, curcumin, pomegranate extract, etc), so they’re probably generally a win anyway for someone trying to put dollars back in their longevity bank.

Dick-Hertz

Dick-Hertz

Awards
Find Red Yeast Rice from another country with Monacoiln-K (naturally fermented lovastatin).
Up to 7.5 - 10mg. a day
Everything else is a waste of money...

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Since I went on 100mg trt my lipids hugely improved and I started taking the following.

I take the following daily:
Cholesterol yogurt drink
Omega 3 - 3000mg
Red Yeast Rice (with 2.9mg monacolin k in it)
Citrus Bergamot
Co Enzyme Q10 -300mg
TUDCA 500mg
Cialis 2.5 mg
Multi vit
Vit D MK7

Seems to have worked well for me and wasn't even really watching diet or training much as I should have during 2022. Now back in the zone since beginning of 2023 though.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Since I went on 100mg trt my lipids hugely improved and I started taking the following.

I take the following daily:
Cholesterol yogurt drink
Omega 3 - 3000mg
Red Yeast Rice (with 2.9mg monacolin k in it)
Citrus Bergamot
Co Enzyme Q10 -300mg
TUDCA 500mg
Cialis 2.5 mg
Multi vit
Vit D MK7

Seems to have worked well for me and wasn't even really watching diet or training much as I should have during 2022. Now back in the zone since beginning of 2023 though.
What’s Cholesterol yogurt drink?

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
What’s Cholesterol yogurt drink?
Basically a small liquid yogurt shot with plant sterols in it. Been using them for years and they seem to help. Cheap as well. I pay £1.85 for 6..that's nearly a weeks supply. I have one a day.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Basically a small liquid yogurt shot with plant sterols in it. Been using them for years and they seem to help. Cheap as well. I pay £1.85 for 6..that's nearly a weeks supply. I have one a day.
Oh ok, thanks.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Emoxypine
psyllium
beta-glucans

I would be careful with anything other than immediate release niacin because sustained release has been tied to liver issues and I found the same. My labs were off after taking the SR for a few months and once I stopped, they came back into range. I just avoid niacin altogether since I found little benefit that outweighed the annoying flush that lasted forever. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8309029/ just for reference

rodefeeh

rodefeeh

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Emoxypine
psyllium
beta-glucans

I would be careful with anything other than immediate release niacin because sustained release has been tied to liver issues and I found the same. My labs were off after taking the SR for a few months and once I stopped, they came back into range. I just avoid niacin altogether since I found little benefit that outweighed the annoying flush that lasted forever. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/8309029/ just for reference
I'm not sure if the Flush Free version is the same as Sustained Release, but I've read that the FF version doesn't help with cholesterol.

Edit - looks like Flush Free is different from Sustained Release.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Find Red Yeast Rice from another country with Monacoiln-K (naturally fermented lovastatin).
Up to 7.5 - 10mg. a day
Everything else is a waste of money...

I feel like there is a little bit of risk with any yeast rice product because you never see info on the citrinin levels or the monacolin levels and both are very important.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm not sure if the Flush Free version is the same as Sustained Release, but I've read that the FF version doesn't help with cholesterol.

Edit - looks like Flush Free is different from Sustained Release.
Different, but as you mentioned, offers no cholesterol benefits. IR is really the only way to go unfortunately.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Different, but as you mentioned, offers no cholesterol benefits. IR is really the only way to go unfortunately.
And even then, those who did see lowered LDL with instant release niacin therapy did not actually correlate to any significant improvement in mortality.

On the subject of statins, they only actually improved the absolute risk of death by 1-2%. The relative risk of cardiac events is lower, but they have shown to make very little difference in death. It’s just marketing wordplay. They do show a very real tendency to promote diabetes though.

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I read (forget where, T-Nation maybe) that sustained release do have some benefits but flush free do not? IR should be best though.

gphagan1

gphagan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar

Looks like I’ll be adding a couple of new SNS products to my arsenal the next couple of weeks.👍

FloridaMan

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Aside from fiber, cardio, omegas and a generally clean diet, what else can we do to keep our cholesterol in check? I'm looking for a supplement that I can take year round like a vitamin that can help keep my cholesterol in the good range. I use primobolan year round now and cycle random stuff and all my bloodwork and heart scans etc are fine. But I wanna be sure the lipids are good as well. What do we got fellas?
I use red yeast rice and niacin myself the no flush kind, along with the other things mentioned in this thread so far.

Though when I get on a butter basted skirt steak & ribeye kick, god himself couldn't keep my cholesterol in check LOL

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I feel like there is a little bit of risk with any yeast rice product because you never see info on the citrinin levels or the monacolin levels and both are very important.
Not so in the UK....they are clearly labelled. Is that because monacolin k got banned in the USA in Red Yeast Rice products?

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Red Yeast Rice - Clarifying Some Confusion:

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to the way that the FDA views Red Yeast Rice in the US.

The FDA does not have an issue with companies selling Red Yeast Rice in its natural form.

Their issue is with companies/raw material suppliers intentionally selling Red Yeast Rice products that are manipulated, enhanced, or extracted for monacolin k content &/or illegally adding Lovastatin (a prescription drug).

Monacolin K is structurally similar/identical to the medicine lovastatin.

Here are some things to help clarify some of the confusion:
  • Red Yeast Rice can be legally marketed as a dietary supplement only when it is fermented in the traditional manner of production. Manufacturers and raw material suppliers cannot intentionally try to manipulate the extraction/production process to target or manipulate for the statin content.
  • If a company standardizes its product or uses raw materials that are standardized/manipulated for monacolin content, then the FDA considers the product an unapproved drug. The reason for this is that monacolin is structurally identical to Lovastatin, which is a prescription statin drug.
  • While it is legal for a company to sell a non-manipulated Red Yeast Rice supplement, it is NOT legal to sell the supplement if promoting it by promoting the monacolin or statin content.
Context:
The reason that a lot of people want to use Red Yeast Rice is to try to lower their cholesterol naturally in hopes to avoid having to go on a statin drug like Lovastatin to begin with; so companies intentionally manipulating for monacolin content or adding Lovastatin to their products is not only unsafe for unknowing consumers, but it defeats the purpose that most were using Red Yeast for to begin with. (Because if they wanted a prescription medication for cholesterol, they are easily obtainable from almost any general health practitioner).

I hope this information helps to clarify this issue to anyone interested.

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Red Yeast Rice - Clarifying Some Confusion:

There seems to be a lot of confusion as to the way that the FDA views Red Yeast Rice in the US.

The FDA does not have an issue with companies selling Red Yeast Rice in its natural form.

Their issue is with companies/raw material suppliers intentionally selling Red Yeast Rice products that are manipulated, enhanced, or extracted for monacolin k content &/or illegally adding Lovastatin (a prescription drug).

Monacolin K is structurally similar/identical to the medicine lovastatin.

Here are some things to help clarify some of the confusion:
  • Red Yeast Rice can be legally marketed as a dietary supplement only when it is fermented in the traditional manner of production. Manufacturers and raw material suppliers cannot intentionally try to manipulate the extraction/production process to target or manipulate for the statin content.
  • If a company standardizes its product or uses raw materials that are standardized/manipulated for monacolin content, then the FDA considers the product an unapproved drug. The reason for this is that monacolin is structurally identical to Lovastatin, which is a prescription statin drug.
  • While it is legal for a company to sell a non-manipulated Red Yeast Rice supplement, it is NOT legal to sell the supplement if promoting it by promoting the monacolin or statin content.
Context:
The reason that a lot of people want to use Red Yeast Rice is to try to lower their cholesterol naturally in hopes to avoid having to go on a statin drug like Lovastatin to begin with; so companies intentionally manipulating for monacolin content or adding Lovastatin to their products is not only unsafe for unknowing consumers, but it defeats the purpose that most were using Red Yeast for to begin with. (Because if they wanted a prescription medication for cholesterol, they are easily obtainable from almost any general health practitioner).

I hope this information helps to clarify this issue to anyone interested.
So is that what I was referring to above.....in that in the USA any Red Yeast Rice Supplement CANNOT have Monacolin K in it...unlike in the UK and EU where there is no such restrictions. The FDA are seriously supressive to you guys. Why would for example I go get a pharma statin that could impact my medical records and employment when there's a legal natural alternative....er nah! Although that doesn't apply to me personally I have seen great results on lipids using RYR with monacolin k.

Hyde

Hyde

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
So is that what I was referring to above.....in that in the USA any Red Yeast Rice Supplement CANNOT have Monacolin K in it...unlike in the UK and EU where there is no such restrictions. The FDA are seriously supressive to you guys. Why would for example I go get a pharma statin that could impact my medical records and employment when there's a legal natural alternative....er nah! Although that doesn't apply to me personally I have seen great results on lipids using RYR with monacolin k.
Why would you want to use a statin for cardiovascular health is the real question you should be asking yourself…

Atherosclerosis is a process dependent on inflammation and insulin. LDL isn’t the culprit. LDL being damaged from oxidative stress in a hyperinsulinemic environment is what causes cardiovascular disease.

Statins increase insulin resistance and metabolic dysfunction, longterm driving the very environment that will erode the LDL you do still have present.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I think that you may be misreading or misinterpreting what I wrote.

Red Yeast Rice can be legally marketed as a dietary supplement only when it is fermented in the traditional manner of production. Manufacturers and raw material suppliers cannot intentionally try to manipulate the extraction/production process to target or manipulate for the statin content.

^^^ that means that Red Yeast Rice containing the naturally occurring levels of monacolin-k by the traditional manner of production is fine and legal for sale as a dietary supplement.

It's saying that companies are not allowed to use raw materials that are extracted, enhanced, or otherwise manipulated to increase the level of monacolin-k above the levels that occur in the traditional manner of raw material production process.

It is also saying that companies are not allowed to add or spike their products with additional monacolin-k, and that if they do so, the product would no longer be considered a supplement and would be considered a drug.

Basically, they aren't making companies remove monacolin-k, they just aren't allowed them to add additional to what is already naturally occurring in it.

If a company standardizes its product or uses raw materials that are standardized/manipulated for monacolin content, then the FDA considers the product an unapproved drug. The reason for this is that monacolin is structurally identical to Lovastatin, which is a prescription statin drug.

^^^ this is a good thing and good for consumer protection because if companies are intentionally manipulating the monacolin-k content, then that may be dangerous to consumers because that it basically them walking in a store and thinking they're buying a natural supplement and actually winding up taking a drug, which they were probably trying to avoid taking if they were buying the supplement to start with.

Monacolin K is structurally similar/identical to the prescription medication, Lovastatin - and the average consumer has no idea of that.

While it is legal for a company to sell a non-manipulated Red Yeast Rice supplement, it is NOT legal to sell the supplement if promoting it by promoting the monacolin or statin content.

^^^ that is not specific to Red Yeast Rice. It's not legal to promote the sale of any supplement by marketing it as having a naturally existing level of a prescription drug content or to compare it to prescription drugs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statins are serious prescription medications and can have a lot of negative side effects.

The reason that a lot of people want to use Red Yeast Rice is to try to lower their cholesterol naturally in hopes to avoid having to go on a statin drug like Lovastatin to begin with; so companies intentionally manipulating for monacolin content or adding Lovastatin to their products is not only unsafe for unknowing consumers, but it defeats the purpose that most were using Red Yeast for to begin with.

Red Yeast Rice in general to me is not something I would recommend to people looking for a cholesterol support supplement.

To me, a cholesterol support supplement is something that a person takes to support healthy cholesterol levels and to help reduce cholesterol levels naturally - with the reasonable expectation of safety and having little to no side effects.

Red Yeast Rice to me is a supplement that would be introduced in an 'oh crap' situation where other things such as diet and exercise aren't working and their cholesterol is very problematic and they're reluctant to go on statins, so its kind of a last ditch attempt to avoid going on statins.

That was an important consideration for me when formulating the upcoming Cholesterol Support XT product - whether to use Red Yeast Rice in it or not - and it will not have it in there because I feel that Red Yeast Rice is not something that people should use unless they are really in a situation where they need to, and I wanted to formulate and offer a product to hopefully help a lot of people be able to avoid that situation to begin with. And then, the people that do need something additional can always buy it as a single ingredient product from a reputable company like NOW Foods and take it in addition to it.

I hope all of that makes sense.

jim2509

jim2509

Awards
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I think that you may be misreading or misinterpreting what I wrote.

Red Yeast Rice can be legally marketed as a dietary supplement only when it is fermented in the traditional manner of production. Manufacturers and raw material suppliers cannot intentionally try to manipulate the extraction/production process to target or manipulate for the statin content.

^^^ that means that Red Yeast Rice containing the naturally occurring levels of monacolin-k by the traditional manner of production is fine and legal for sale as a dietary supplement.

It's saying that companies are not allowed to use raw materials that are extracted, enhanced, or otherwise manipulated to increase the level of monacolin-k above the levels that occur in the traditional manner of raw material production process.

It is also saying that companies are not allowed to add or spike their products with additional monacolin-k, and that if they do so, the product would no longer be considered a supplement and would be considered a drug.

Basically, they aren't making companies remove monacolin-k, they just aren't allowed them to add additional to what is already naturally occurring in it.

If a company standardizes its product or uses raw materials that are standardized/manipulated for monacolin content, then the FDA considers the product an unapproved drug. The reason for this is that monacolin is structurally identical to Lovastatin, which is a prescription statin drug.

^^^ this is a good thing and good for consumer protection because if companies are intentionally manipulating the monacolin-k content, then that may be dangerous to consumers because that it basically them walking in a store and thinking they're buying a natural supplement and actually winding up taking a drug, which they were probably trying to avoid taking if they were buying the supplement to start with.

Monacolin K is structurally similar/identical to the prescription medication, Lovastatin - and the average consumer has no idea of that.

While it is legal for a company to sell a non-manipulated Red Yeast Rice supplement, it is NOT legal to sell the supplement if promoting it by promoting the monacolin or statin content.

^^^ that is not specific to Red Yeast Rice. It's not legal to promote the sale of any supplement by marketing it as having a naturally existing level of a prescription drug content or to compare it to prescription drugs.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Statins are serious prescription medications and can have a lot of negative side effects.

The reason that a lot of people want to use Red Yeast Rice is to try to lower their cholesterol naturally in hopes to avoid having to go on a statin drug like Lovastatin to begin with; so companies intentionally manipulating for monacolin content or adding Lovastatin to their products is not only unsafe for unknowing consumers, but it defeats the purpose that most were using Red Yeast for to begin with.

Red Yeast Rice in general to me is not something I would recommend to people looking for a cholesterol support supplement.

To me, a cholesterol support supplement is something that a person takes to support healthy cholesterol levels and to help reduce cholesterol levels naturally - with the reasonable expectation of safety and having little to no side effects.

Red Yeast Rice to me is a supplement that would be introduced in an 'oh crap' situation where other things such as diet and exercise aren't working and their cholesterol is very problematic and they're reluctant to go on statins, so its kind of a last ditch attempt to avoid going on statins.

That was an important consideration for me when formulating the upcoming Cholesterol Support XT product - whether to use Red Yeast Rice in it or not - and it will not have it in there because I feel that Red Yeast Rice is not something that people should use unless they are really in a situation where they need to, and I wanted to formulate and offer a product to hopefully help a lot of people be able to avoid that situation to begin with. And then, the people that do need something additional can always buy it as a single ingredient product from a reputable company like NOW Foods and take it in addition to it.

I hope all of that makes sense.
Thanks for clarifying, yes it makes sense and I can only describe my own experience in that Red Yeast Rice has been a good addition for me, in that although it's helped improve my cholesterol profile it hasn't done so hugely dramatically with any adverse or noticeable side effects.

Its hugely popular here in the UK as the brand i use sells out regularly. I also like plant sterol drinks which I've used for absolute years to good effect.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I had had several people ask me to let them know when our Cardiovascular Support XT product was launched, and we just launched it today and I posted the intro thread on it a few minutes ago.

We've had a lot of excitement about this product and had had a lot of people ask us to do multi-packs on it like we have done for several products where we've done a 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month discounted supply.

Here's a link to the intro thread for the full write up, coupon codes, multi-packs, and other deals:

CardiovascularSupportXT (RENDERING) FRONT.png
CardiovascularSupportXT print (120caps) SUPP FACTS.png

BBiceps

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I had had several people ask me to let them know when our Cardiovascular Support XT product was launched, and we just launched it today and I posted the intro thread on it a few minutes ago.

We've had a lot of excitement about this product and had had a lot of people ask us to do multi-packs on it like we have done for several products where we've done a 3 month, 6 month, and 12 month discounted supply.

Here's a link to the intro thread for the full write up, coupon codes, multi-packs, and other deals:

View attachment 229681View attachment 229682
Thanks, looks interesting.