Unanswered Chest mass tips!

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
So as most of you guys know (at least the anabolic section guys) I used to be huge! As in out of shape huge. Bad. Most of my loose skin is around my lower chest and I don’t have gyno BUT I have some pseudogyno (where fatty tissue accumulated around the chest and behind the nipples but not so much glandular tissue) and no matter how much I cut down I can’t get rid of that last bit, but since I have loose skin it doesn’t look right anyways because the nipple sags slightly lower than the pecs. I have trouble packing mass onto my chest as of lately and I don’t mind the fat right now because I’m trying to gain mass but I figured adding as much mass to my chest as possible to fill out the loose skin then cutting later on may help especially with how fat distribution works and all. It isn’t as bad as it was when I was 135lbs because I looked like a literal bag of bones but it still bugs the hell out of me.
So what helps you pack mass onto your chest? How many times a week do you think I should train chest? Right now it’s each muscle group once a week, typical 5/2 bro split.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
IMG_2502.JPG

Here’s a pic to show what I mean. I’m seated here, isn’t as noticeable when standing.

Jm88888

Jm88888

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
1.) High Testosterone levels
2.) Calories a bit over maintenance (enough for gaining about 1 lbs per week)
3.) Enough protein (I think anyone here knows this amount)
4.) focus on building strength in the bench press
5.) get enough volume in assistance work in to stimulate the muscle

These would be in my opinion the top five in order of importance.

I think most people over look the importance of hormonal optimization... You can do everything perfectly, and if you have bad hormone profile you are gonna spin your wheels.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
How much are you doing currently for your one chest day?

A little more info may help laying out some more specifics, but in general I like upping the frequency for lagging body parts.

So that may mean adding a second day where you do a bit more chest work (maybe just adding some to another training day and not changing a ton else).

Or that could mean even a specialization cycle where you bump it to 2-3 days of chest and decrease volume on another muscle group to account for this added volume there (I prefer this method, kind of working a weak point or a specific group for a mesocyle then deloading and switching to a new group for a bit or back to the same if it needs it).

Here is a layout for legs (so just use some creative thinking as it isn’t terribly different for other muscle groups) that Jared Feather lays out more eloquently than I can to illustrate this idea:
IMG_0964.JPG

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do push day twice a week
1 push day chest is the focus.
2nd push day triceps are the focus, but chest is hit both days.

There is info out there that hitting any muscle group twice a week, as opposed to once is going to be better for hypertrophy. 3x may not have any benefit beyond 2x. I center my chest exercises around the flat bench press, DB incline press, and DB pullovers. Those exercises have built me a wide and deep chest.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Weighted bench dips. I just stack 45s on my lap to go heavier.
Incline movements specifically. I feel no one does this but I like my incline to match my flat bench numbers. It builds a hell of a chest and your tris will grow.
Fly movements are artlessly popular but I don’t ever skip them. They won’t do **** if I have weak triceps and bench is not big.
2-3x more back movements specifically bent over rows and heavy rope face pulls. (#1 fav upper bod exercise and my bench goes to up from it.)
Finish chest day with heavy tricep work. Skullcrushers and close grip, again to get that bench up.
Drop sets and negatives. I train solo so I have to get creative. But here’s an ex: after I’ve worked up to heavy set, I’ll do for example incline 275x4, stand up take the 25s off quickly, go to failure, stand up take the 45z off, go to failure, repeat until just the bar. It works and always has.
But bottom line, no matter how strong my chest is, if my tris or traps are weak chest won’t get bigger.

Matthersby

Matthersby

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The secret to a massive chest is lower chest... There is a really informative thread about this somewhere.
I’ve been doing it all wrong.

God I suck.

Jesus has not been blessing my workouts lately either.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Biggest tip for chest is progressive overload, either through added volume or load, or both. Just be patient. Your skin was like that for a while, so it will take a while to tighten up. May or may not happen completely, but unfortunately fast weight loss can produce that look. Just keep doing what your doing and every session aim for progression.

Also if it were me I would continue to cut. Even if you add some more size you will still retain that look. Would be better off cutting down to a much leaner bf% then slowly adding in some calories and mass. I was in a stage somewhat similar to yours for a while. Years of chest fat from being overweight and as a teen seemed like fat just stored there. Until I really cut down I was never happy with my chest. Once I did it was a night and day difference, and even if I gain some fat back it has never been as bad since that initial cut I did.

Last edited: