Cardio PLEASE help!

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Can someone please tell me when the correct time is to do cardio. It seems to me that I never can find time. My workout is...Monday-chest and legs....Tuesday-Arms and Shold....Wed-off....Thursday-Chest and legs...Friday-Shold and arms...and sat and sunday off...some say this is overtraining thats fine it works for me very well. My question is where can i fit in the cardio. I need to do my running workout 4 days a week...I really dont want it to interfere with leg day because that happined this week and it sucked. Any ideas would help guys.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
First thing in the morning or after weight training at low intensity.

You do Chest and legs on the same day then due shoulders the following? Ouch.

Rebel

Banned
Awards
  • Established
first thing in the mourning even on leg day?? thanks

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No way. That was in general. If you do cardio first thing in the morning, do it on your day off. The rest just do it after your weight training session. I wouldn't do cardio more than 4 times a week.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Would you suggest he drinks a shake after he gets done with the weights and starting right up with the low intensity cardio?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
No, that would defeat the whole purpose of doing it after weight training.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, after training you are running low on glycogen stores, you want to tap into fat stores as soon as possible, take the postworkout drink/shake after cardio.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Has to do more with catecholamines than glyocgen stores but in any event, we're all right. Other than first thing in the morning, its the most optimal time.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
Bobo man you are scaring me, you sound like you got a PHD or something lol, catecholamines... gotta research that one.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
:p

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Reading Bobo's posts reminds me of my Anatomy classes :D ...gluconeogenesis, catecholamines, glycolysis, cortisol, aldosterone, GH, LH, FSH, Renal medulla

Now if I could just get my Nutrition professor to start aiming our lectures towards the conditioned athlete and not fat Tom with Cystic Fibrosis....ERRR..NOT EVERYBODY IN THIS WORLD WANTS TO BE A NURSE!!

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Bobo I thought it would be counter productive because by going from lifting to cardio you'll be able to tap into those fat stores more quickly, but say after a 45 min. workout you then go and do 30 mins of low Intensity cardio will that have any effect on cortisol production? For instance will cortisol production continue to rise due to the demand of another 30mins of training even though it will be low impact and intensity?

Also fella's don't be so impressed with BOBO he makes a lot of these words up, he told me he just picks two words out of the dictionary, mixing some of the letter up and combines them :D LOL :D

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
To be in a fat burning state, cortisol will always be elevated. You can't really avoid it, only minimize it and by doing low intensity cardio you are still burning circulating FFA's released by weight training while keeping cortisol relatively normal (for that condition).

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Oh, and I forgot to mention increased levels of throzdatighsry. :D

Jay Mc

Awards
To be in a fat burning state, cortisol will always be elevated. You can't really avoid it, only minimize it and by doing low intensity cardio you are still burning circulating FFA's released by weight training while keeping cortisol relatively normal (for that condition).
wouldn't your body be doing this anyway after a weight training session (using FFA's for fuel)? Isn't that the point of HIIT cardio and things like that, burn glycogen and initiate fat metabolism? Plus I figure the sooner you get the aa/carbs in the bloodstream the quicker you stop the catabolic slide. Weight training acts as a great partioner, everythings cleared from the blood and the body continues undergoing lipolysis and converting those FFA's to ATP (I found it interesting that one 18 carbon fatty acid yields 146 ATP molecules where as glucose only yields 38 depending on how you count (I know its only 6 carbons but still, gram for gram fat is about 2.5 times better)) may be way off, but thought I'd just throw that in the conversation...

J

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Weight training such as HIIT increase the release of triglycerides from adipose tissue, low intensity oxidizes at a greater rate. So bascially your releasing a large amount of FFA's but if you don't oxidize them they get stored right back into adipose tissue. Doing low intesity right after weight training increases the amount being oxidized. Plus the catabolism issue is highly overrated. Weight training doens't even lower glycogen levels by that much anyway not to mention GH secretions last up to 60 minutes post workout.

Weight training is a great partioner but where do you get the idea that everything is cleared from the blood? If that were the case you would be dead.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
(I found it interesting that one 18 carbon fatty acid yields 146 ATP molecules where as glucose only yields 38 depending on how you count (I know its only 6 carbons but still, gram for gram fat is about 2.5 times better)) may be way off, but thought I'd just throw that in the conversation...

J
Thats why 1g of fat is 9 calories and the thermic value of proteins and carbs is much higher.

Jay Mc

Awards
Weight training such as HIIT increase the release of triglycerides from adipose tissue, low intensity oxidizes at a greater rate. So bascially your releasing a large amount of FFA's but if you don't oxidize them they get stored right back into adipose tissue. Doing low intesity right after weight training increases the amount being oxidized. Plus the catabolism issue is highly overrated. Weight training doens't even lower glycogen levels by that much anyway not to mention GH secretions last up to 60 minutes post workout.

Weight training is a great partioner but where do you get the idea that everything is cleared from the blood? If that were the case you would be dead.
heh, when I said everything gets cleared I meant returns to normals fairly quickly due to insulin...

I was making a few assumptions, like the increase in metabolism in response to exercise and stuff would probably be adequate. I can definately see how post workout cardio could be beneficial, working much the same way as in the morning after a overnight faste, I guess I'm always concerned with losing muscle since I'm an extreme hardgainer...

J

Rock Lee

Awards
Anyone know what swimming would be considered as far as low/high-intensity? Someone told me the other day the leanest they ever got was doing 10 laps in thier gym's pool after each weight session.

Also Bobo when you say cardio first thing in the morning...do you not even consume some whey beforehand?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It depends. If your fairly lean I would, if not, then it would be on an empty stomach.

I wouldn't recommend swimming after weight training. I'm sure you could lose fat fairly easy that way but muscle loss could be fairly large. I tihnk there are better options.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
I would recommend some Whey on water before the cardio and some BCAA's too

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If he's not that lean, there really is no need.

RaulJimenez

Awards
  • Established
basically is for muscle sparring purposes, I don't think it will be detrimental to be on the safe side adding aminos into your bloodstream while on low intensity cardio first thing in the morning.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
If your above a certain bf%, the chances for you to lose muscle is extremely small due to your hormonal levels (increased bf% equates to increased leptin equals less chance of muscle loss). OTOH half of that whey and BCAA will be converted to glucose via gluconeogensis which will defeat the purpose of doing cardio in the morning in the first place. Its not exactly why you bought it anyway. You want it for building properties, not fuel. The first thing your body will do when aminos are ingested without a carb source in this state is deanimate them.

Your bascially adding nutrients at a time where you don't want nutrients.

Iron Warrior

Iron Warrior

Awards
  • Established
Damn Bobo, you should have taught the exercise physiology class I took 2 semesters ago. I would have learned much more.

OmarJackson

Awards
  • Established
ok, when you said that weight training releases triglycerides from fat, is this a graduated thing? for example, lets say i worked out only my biceps one day, would enough triglycerdides be released into the bloodstream to make it even worthwhile to do PWO low intensity cardio, or is low intensity PWO cardio better kept for after large bodyparts are worked out like lowerbody/upperbody or push/pull splits?

in a nutshell, is PWO cardio worth doing after working out smaller bodyparts? and by worth i mean is the fat loss going to be worth any muscle loss?