Cardio days- HIIT?

mik14

mik14

Awards
Hey guys,

just looking for views on cardio training and what has acheived the best results for ripping up but maintaining muscle mass for you,

I currently do cardio seperate days to my weights and in about 45mins burn about 800cals, herd that HIIT cardio is suppose to be really good way of ripping up and was contimplating adding it ina few days once or twice week.

Not sure what will be best 20-30mins of HIIT or 45mins of what i usually do, although i can always do bit of both througout the week.

What is your opions on what has worked for you guys.

Cheers

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
There was another thread debating this.

I'm sure u will get answers though.

From what I read both....

High intensity & long "mild" cardio as in stairmaster/brisk walking.

mik14

mik14

Awards
Yeah the stairmaster works well, i currently do about half hour on cross trainer - 500cals then 20min on stairmaster - 300 cals

I guess its a good mix up as it is. Just want to limit loosing muscle as much as possibile. I though this topic may get a few debats!

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys,

just looking for views on cardio training and what has acheived the best results for ripping up but maintaining muscle mass for you,

I currently do cardio seperate days to my weights and in about 45mins burn about 800cals, herd that HIIT cardio is suppose to be really good way of ripping up and was contimplating adding it ina few days once or twice week.

Not sure what will be best 20-30mins of HIIT or 45mins of what i usually do, although i can always do bit of both througout the week.

What is your opions on what has worked for you guys.

Cheers
Personally prefer HIIT - three times a week. Also notice that 20 minutes of post-weights cardio 3-4 times a week has helped me in the last year. I never pay attention to how many calories are burned during any given session - it's not that important, since if you're doing HIIT or cardio post-weights your body is going to burn far more calories than what anything is going to "tell" you you have.

~Rosie~

T

TJGUNN

Awards
I just started doing a new thing/ cardio period I run a near my house about a mile right now and after the weights I do 20 min in the steam sauna

S

survey

Awards
HIIT is a great way to go about losing fat and hanging onto muscle at the same time - or possibly adding muscle. I wouldn't do a 30 min HIIT session too often because you will overtrain (if you're doing it right).

Slower paced cardio sessions for extended periods of time (45 mins plus) are AWESOME for fat loss if you're not worried about losing some muscle with it.

Both are good but, for a bodybuilder, I think it's a no brainer. HIIT is the way to go.

T

TJGUNN

Awards
yeah i hear its like a 50/50 some say slow cardio is better if you dont want to loose muscle others say HIT iv been trying to loose fat for a while im 290 but i got like 40lb of fat in the mid section but thinking about doing HIT

Oscar

Oscar

Awards
  • Established
I just started doing cardio again like 3 weeks ago 30 min after lifting and 1 hour on non lifting days keeping heart rate at between 155-165 gone from 225 and 15% bf to 207 and 10% but im juiced up like tropicana to so that might also have something to do with it lol.

mik14

mik14

Awards
Yeah think il give it ago, maybe do HIIT twice a week and my norm cardio and stairmaster once or twice a week. So what time frame you reckon for a HIIT cardio session 20-30min?

Planning on getting some good fat burner supps and hitting it hard rip up as much as i can for 6 weeks before i do my next bulk cycle

mik14

mik14

Awards
i try avoid cardio on my weight days, i herd you dont grow as much. Not sure how true this is but i do notice if i do weights then cardio i feel like **** that night.

I have ended up fatigue, once dehydrated on a drip in hospital for the night..although i didnt drink water through that session, Never had a issue since i split the my cardio days from weights.

sweatymoo

sweatymoo

Awards
Yeah the stairmaster works well, i currently do about half hour on cross trainer - 500cals then 20min on stairmaster - 300 cals

I guess its a good mix up as it is. Just want to limit loosing muscle as much as possibile. I though this topic may get a few debats!
*debates* :)

asooneyeonig

asooneyeonig

Awards
high and low intensity cardio have differing effects on the body.

low intensity cardio burns more of its calories from bodyfat but burns less total calories and barely increases ones basal metabolic need afterwards. it can increase mitochondrial density as well.

high intensity burns more calories from blood sugar, more total calories (which can mean more calories from fat) and increases the basal metabolic rate higher and for longer then low intensity cardio.

overall i believe if you have to choose 1 over the other HIIT is superior. here is a small tidbit from a research article i took notes on years ago.
HIIT builds fitness faster. 30 min @ 60% vs 10x4 @ 90% w/ 2 min rest. Aerobic capacity increased by 13%, fat burning capacity up by 36%, and key aerobic enzymes increased by 25%
-Journal Applied Physilogy, 102: 1439-1447, 2007

IMO it would be beneficial to do both. do some HIIT then go for a walk.