Unanswered Carb cycling or keto?

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What works the best for you and if you have any studies or anything feel free to drop them.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I do and have done both. I enjoy keto more, health wise. Energy is better. Blood sugar is the most stable. I'm still strong in the gym. Carb cycling is fun because carbs taste great, and make great addictions to meat. You may look fuller in your muscle bellies. Blood sugar won't be as stable, but more stable than 3 to 6 carb meals a day. If you do carb cycling, just do post workout. Simple carbs, not complex.

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
OP - I'm not sure what you mean since carb cycling is a form of keto. It's a cyclical ketogenic diet. I could never do full on keto with no carb ups. Athletic performance would get turned way down.

These days, I don't do weekly carb ups if carb cycling though, I do peri-workout carbs. Really helps keep intensity up.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I would do a slight keto. Meaning I would just do low carbs and high protein if i were you.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Carbs are about 100g right now, protein is 190, filling the rest in with fats. I’m at 2,400cal per day, recently lowered from 2,600cal because I’m stalling on weight loss. Still am oddly enough. Not quite sure what’s going on.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Carbs are about 100g right now, protein is 190, filling the rest in with fats. I’m at 2,400cal per day, recently lowered from 2,600cal because I’m stalling on weight loss. Still am oddly enough. Not quite sure what’s going on.
I’m not sure I’m understanding the issue. If weight loss is stalling just continue to lower your intake to keep it moving.

As per the question I’m a fan of more carbs and reducing fats to reach my deficit, but as long as your protein is in place it’s probably a bit more personal preference as the way to go.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
IMHO it depends on how important gym performance is to you. You want better gym performance then CKD is going to be better. Also extended ketosis actually increases insulin resistance albeit it temporary as the body will adjust back down when you reintroduce carbs if done properly. In the end though being metabolically flexible, AKA being able to burn both fat and carbs for energy efficiently is healthy and more optimum in the long run. SO I would say CKD but maybe even on a daily level, IE Keto in the AM and carbs during or after post training.

If you are in a stall then increase deficit through activity or caloric restriction, or maybe just wait a few weeks to see if your body is refilling the tissue with fluids that may flush after a time period. It happens and is anecdotaly referred to as the Whoosh effect. Just a lot to consider. Try it all and document what works for you.

Brain5ick

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well I reintroduced carbs and feel pretty good. Threw 10mg GW in there too and after three days on it I feel like I could just lift forever! Cardio is easy, and I’m doing less exercises because I’m doing 5-10 more reps per set on each one. Really tearing **** up.

mugger

mugger

Awards
Keto towards the end. Or do Keto, until you hit the plateau, then switch to carb cycling. Keto, for myself and others, isn't great for the long haul.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Keto towards the end. Or do Keto, until you hit the plateau, then switch to carb cycling. Keto, for myself and others, isn't great for the long haul.
Agreed. I can't do keto for the run. It messes with my digestive system and I feel low all the time.