'Canes deliver message to Hokies, nation

Brock Landers

Awards
BLACKSBURG, Va. -- They spoke with righteous indignation, the emotion spilling forth, dressing every word in the fire and brimstone of a tent revival.

The message the fifth-ranked Miami Hurricanes gave Saturday night, in their play and in their locker room afterward, went as follows:

How dare you.

AP Photo/Don Petersen
Greg Olsen and Darnell Jenkins had plenty to celebrate in Blacksburg.

How dare you predict that any team, even a third-ranked unbeaten rival that had beaten Miami twice in a row and seven of the last 10, would beat a team as proud as Miami.

The 'Canes humiliated Virginia Tech Saturday night in the Hokies' house, winning 27-7, a final score that doesn't begin to convey the one-sided nature of the victory.

Miami forced six turnovers from a team that had committed only seven all season.

Miami limited Virginia Tech to 167 total yards.

Miami removed Hokie junior quarterback Marcus Vick from consideration for any and all awards for the foreseeable future, except maybe a Purple Heart. Vick completed 8-of-22 passes for 90 yards, threw two interceptions and lost three of the Hokies four fumbles. In Vick's defense, Miami locked down his receivers, and holding onto the ball is difficult when you're hit from behind. Again and again.

"We came in here fifth in the nation," senior offensive tackle Eric Winston said, "and y'all made it out like we were 50th."

The Hurricanes read the stories that predicted a Virginia Tech victory. They filled up their tanks with that fuel. There's no more genial man coaching football than Miami head coach Larry Coker, and even he tried to sound teed off.

"We had a little edge," Coker said. "We took it a little personal. I don't think people gave us much of a chance to win the game here."

Miami's longtime offensive line coach Art Kehoe, a fiery man who has never felt the need to slow down any thought before it reaches his lips -- in other words, the antidote for Coker -- said what the head coach would not.

"Why do people think we're going to come up here and get our asses beat?" Kehoe said. "Don't tell the 'Canes what they can't do. We can do. We're a can-do organization. We've been doing it for a long time. Don't tell me we're going to get our butts whipped. It ain't happening."

So now the BCS can breathe a sigh of relief. With no disrespect meant toward Alabama, three teams and two sidelines are no longer a concern. Texas and USC can continue down the road to the Rose Bowl without controversy.

Unless, that is, you acknowledge that Miami (7-1, 4-1) staged the most dominant victory of any top-five team this season. Unless you figure that, if we had playoffs, you'd rather draw Indianapolis in the first round than the Hurricanes who showed up in Lane Stadium on Saturday night.

Miami played Virginia Tech (8-1, 5-1) without a starting tailback, a starting punt returner, and for a while, a starting quarterback, and still humiliated them. Hurricane tailback Tyrone Moss left the game in the first quarter with a sprained left knee. Punt returner Devin Hester left with a strained hamstring. Quarterback Kyle Wright got his bell rung and missed most of the second quarter.

So sophomore tailback Charlie Jones came in and rushed for 97 yards and a touchdown.

So redshirt freshman quarterback Kirby Freeman came in and finished off Miami's first touchdown drive, a 17-play, 82-yard effort that took 8:18 and made it clear that the line of scrimmage would be controlled by the visitors.

This is the same offensive line that gave up nine sacks in the season-opening 10-7 loss at Florida State. Winston couldn't have been any prouder of himself or his linemates for the improvement they have made over the last two months.

Josh Morgan
AP Photo/Steve Helber
The 'Canes defense made it a long night for Josh Morgan and the Hokies.

"After the South Florida game (Oct. 1), we had a lot of upset people," Winston said. "We won 27-7 and it should have been 50-0 at the half. We had a lot of upset people on the offensive side of the ball after that game. We made it a point to get better and not gradually.

"We played Duke and Temple. Last week (34-16 win over North Carolina), we ran the ball on the best rush defense in the ACC. Watching Boston College get stuffed [by North Carolina] today, we realized, 'We can do this. We can do this on everybody."

Virginia Tech lost its national championship dream, its unbeaten record, its lead in the ACC Coastal, and, most surprising, its composure. Down 10-0 at the half, the Hokies caved in late in the third quarter. Miami scored on a nine-yard pass from Wright to flanker Darnell Jenkins to go ahead 20-0. A couple of snaps later, Javon Nanton sacked Vick in the end zone, forcing a fumble, and Miami tackle Kareem Brown recovered for a touchdown.

Miami didn't score in the final quarter, but the one-sided nature of the game didn't prevent the 'Canes from throwing into the end zone on fourth-and-14 from the Hokies 24 with 1:35 remaining. It's that kind of rivalry.

The Hurricanes made their statement to the Hokies, to the media and surely to the voters. It's never too early to get in position on the off chance that USC or Texas proves to be human. For all the bravado expressed in the locker room Saturday night, even Winston stopped short of suggesting that the 'Canes should slot into the Rose Bowl.

"You can't do that," he said. "There's something to winning all your games. Ohio State in 2002, winning games by six points. If you win all your games, you deserve to be there. But 11-1 can look pretty good. I've got to believe we're the best one-loss team."

No one would dare disagree.

blairjd

Awards
The Canes have the best D in the country. Get past the ACCCG, and beat that Notre Dame/Georgia/Bama ass.

Canes owe Bama from '92 or '93. It wouldn't even be close. But it's too early to speculate.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
Neither Vick can play the quarterback position

LuckyBoy

Awards
  • Established
Neither Vick can play the quarterback position
yeah, marcus was just the 2nd rated passer in the nation. keep drinking your haterade lol.

everyone has to agree that the roughing the passer penalty that knocked wright out was such garbage and it wouldve been 3rd and long after that instead of 1st and goal from the 5. i think that just sent the whole game downhill. not taking anything away from miami's suffocating defense but i think that let the air out of the balloon.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Ha ha.

Yes, it was probably not the right call.

But that did not change the game.

Keep drinking that.

Charlie Jones ran over your vaunted DL.

CEDeoudes59

CEDeoudes59

USA HOCKEY
Awards
  • Established
vick was 1 for 11 and his passes absurdly overthrown. Miami could have had 4 or 5 Ints in the first half. Just calling it how i see it :D

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
Miami removed Hokie junior quarterback Marcus Vick from consideration for any and all awards for the foreseeable future, except maybe a Purple Heart.
That is classic:rofl:

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
EE - I promise I was not drunk last night in my post in the gas thread.

I had 3 caps of Amp and went to the gym and blasted biceps and delts right before the game.

I was so fired up I could have killed a castrated turkey's (read: Hokie) neck.

Needless to say, as I witnessed the destruction on my couch and then made phone calls out the wahzoo, I was still euphoric when I posted.:head:

Achilles13

:::6'4 240lbs EndoMorph:::
Awards
  • Established
Probably just the jitters of playing that caliber team got to MV, but I am sure that he will bounce back just fine.

EEmain

EEmain

Awards
  • Established
EE - I promise I was not drunk last night in my post in the gas thread.

I had 3 caps of Amp and went to the gym and blasted biceps and delts right before the game.

I was so fired up I could have killed a castrated turkey's (read: Hokie) neck.

Needless to say, as I witnessed the destruction on my couch and then made phone calls out the wahzoo, I was still euphoric when I posted.:head:
Wasn`t thinking that Bro!

Coming from MU as you have I fully understand.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Well Die, remember all those young RB's I was talking about this spring/summer?

In the mold of McGahee coming out of nowhere to have a huge season when Gore got injured in the spring of '02, either Chalie Jones, Deron Thomas, or Andrew Johnson now has a chance.

We've had a lot of success replacing kids without missing a beat in the past, and I fully expect our coaches to do that with one of the 3 RB's.

Jones looked awesome against VT. He hit the hole hard, made some good cuts, and ran strong. Hopefully he'll keep it up.

I feel bad for Ty Moss though. He had set himself up to be a 1st day draftpick after this season. We'll see him back in the OB in '07 though - no way he plays next year with an ACL tear this late in the season.

BingeAndPurge

BingeAndPurge

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, Miami is a perennial program with top talent and in a state known for said talent, especially speed. I wouldn't let a RB injury get you too down, especially in a plug and play scheme.

Bean

Bean

Ectomorph man
Awards
  • Established
The Canes have the best D in the country. Get past the ACCCG, and beat that Notre Dame/Georgia/Bama ass.

Canes owe Bama from '92 or '93. It wouldn't even be close. But it's too early to speculate.
Uh no the #1 defense would be Bama :) Check your stats and report back ;) Collectively speaking: Bama is ranked top in the country in the 4 defensive statistics that matter: points allowed, rushing yards allowed, passing yards allowed, and total YPG allowed. #1 in points allowed (like 8.2) but like top 7 in the other 3... but no one has that many rankings collectively that high.

Though I cant comment on Bama's offense at all lol... it was horrible; and its the reason Miami is ranked higher in the AP poll. but of course, bama is ranked higher in the coaches poll and the BCS.

jmh80

jmh80

Awards
  • Established
Bama is only leading in points against because we gave up 30 pts. with 2 late fluke TD's against Clemson.

I'm a Canes fan, but Bama has not delievered a defensive performance that the Canes did in Canesburg, VA last Saturday.