Can I gradually lose fat if I switch to ultra-high protein diet?

bigshoulders

Awards

Say I'm taking about 3000 cals now, at 30% protein.
What if I switch to 60% protein while retaining cals at 3000 cals.

Do you think this is a good way to very gradually cut while maintaining muscle, or does it not do anything different from eating normal levels of protein?

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Excess protein consumed will still be broken down into glucose.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established

Say I'm taking about 3000 cals now, at 30% protein.
What if I switch to 60% protein while retaining cals at 3000 cals.

Do you think this is a good way to very gradually cut while maintaining muscle, or does it not do anything different from eating normal levels of protein?
ah, no. calories are where you get your fat gain or loss, generally speaking. it is however a good idea to increase protein if maintaining a strength training program while cutting cals.
protein used for the maintence and repair of muscle
carbs used as a fuel source, too many will result in stored fat for the bodies use later.
fat is used for stored energy.

it's a bit more complex than that, but that is it in a nutshell

cals from carbs and protein is 4 per gram
cals from fat is 9 per gram

add up what you eat and have fun at doing the math

wearedbleedblue

wearedbleedblue

Awards
  • Established
Just eat around zone levels: 40% carb 30 fat 30 protein.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Excess protein will be broken into its subsequent amino acids and deaminated. Depending on the protein composition of amino acids will dictate what percent of amino acids are converted to glucose. I believe alanine and some branch chain amino acids can be directly converted to glucose in the absence (lack of) sufficient carbohydrates. Most non-essential amino acids will be excreted; however, sufficient carbohydrate intake is necessary to aid in the maintenance of a positive nitrogen balance. If your caloric expenditure isn't greater than your caloric intake, no matter the macronutrient content you will not lose FAT.