Calorie zig-zag on a lean-bulk for lifestyle reasons.

Lionheart1776

Awards
  • Established
Good afternoon gents, does anyone have any thoughts on alternating calories while on a bulk so that one can indulge more on days off and eat less on days where you work a lot.

It might look something like this. Let's say matience is 2000 Kcal and your bulk is 2250 Kcal. And the zig-zag would look like below.

(Mild)
1750 2250 1750 2500 2500 2250 2250

(Let me cheat dammit!)
1500 2250 1500 2250 3250 2250 2250

So both work out to a 1750 Kcal a week surplus and all days have a minimum of 0.8 grams a week of protein. Both are flexible on macros beyond that but the (Let me cheat dammit!) day with 3250 is hit protein then beer, candy, pure junk etc for the rest for the sake of this discussion.

Some things I'm wondering are more for the extreme version since it has days of 500 Kcal deficits and a day of relatively sicking 1250 surplus and not a clean one at that. Also for the sake of discussion let's assume you are running the extreme one every week even if you might not in practice and you plan on bulking for 9-12 months.

Would the the extreme zig-zag lead to distinctly un-optimal results over a 12 month period versus a more stable intake? Say slightly more fat gain from the cheat day period and less muscle growth during the three day period where the two deficit days earn it.
(1500 2250 1500) 1850 Avg deficit period
(2250 3250 2250 2250) 2500 Avg cheat period

I personally expect it to matter less then I'm worried about, except even a modest decrease in LBM gain and extra increase in adipose tissue increase over a year could in theory be quite staggering.

In the one year bulk one would in theory gain 26 LBS. Losing 5-10ish pounds of possible gains and gaining the same in fat over a more steady approach would be quite ****ty result if you ask me.

Thoughts?

Outofbody

Outofbody

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is exactly what I do, all of the time, when recomping. Some days I'm in a surplus, others I'm in a deficit. I base it loosely around the need for recovery too. I think it's a good approach for many reasons, including lifestyle.