Body building and marijuana

pigs

Awards
I came across somebody the other day that claimed to have smoked after each workout to help in recovery phases. Do y'all know of any studies that have been done with this? It really sparked my interest and would like to look deeper into it. I would think that the relaxed state would allow for and promote muscle growth similarly to sleep? Also with the appetite curve I think itd also help to bulk up. What do yall think about it?

Joshlm69

Joshlm69

Awards
  • Established
it also has a negative effect on testosterone, and muscle repair - overall its bad for the gym

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The negative out weights the positive every time. Pretty much don't smoke ha

pigs

Awards
I wasn't proposing to start, just curious as to what effects it had on muscle growth/recovery. Thanks for the input

LiftWithDonuts

LiftWithDonuts

Awards
  • Established
it also has a negative effect on testosterone, and muscle repair - overall its bad for the gym
Decreases test levels? Is there a study that you can share?

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I think it definitely has its uses. With all stims bodybuilders use, especially in a cut it can lead to insomnia. Also once bodybuilders are using exogenous hormones, i dont think its going to even matter. Arnold and the golden age guys used to be high all the time lol. For the natural guy lifts for a hobby, who wants to smoke a joint after every workout, i really dont think its going to significantly hurt your gains. If focus, drive, motivation are affected and you can't be as intense or effective as a result of its use, then i think thats the biggest problem. Honestly how you consumer marijuana might even be mpre of a concern. If you smoke blunts or spliffs and smoke with tobacco, the tobacco is definitely going to hurt your gains. If you used a vaporizer or ate baked goods (using one of Driven2lift 's recipes lol), it would be way less harmful.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Any negative effects are negligible unless you are a chronic, heavy user. Personally, I can see more benefit than not.

CJNator

Awards
Also if someone needs help bulking it would definitely help, that testosterone decrease is extremely minimal if I remember correctly.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Lol, I just caught my boss' gf trying to light up her joint with a toaster! I was dying! Hahah

Last edited:
alland

alland

Awards
if you dont already smoke...taking it up for recovery is silly.
this coming from someone who smoked every contest prep.

Matthew1237

Matthew1237

Awards
I wouldn't really. Makes you more sluggish and unless you are bulking I find it increases inhibition. Its also terrible preW. I find honestly it kills my gym potential more than it might ever help.

CJNator

Awards
I wouldn't really. Makes you more sluggish and unless you are bulking I find it increases inhibition. Its also terrible preW. I find honestly it kills my gym potential more than it might ever help.
I never understood why or how people did it preworkout and these people I know did it every time.

EMPIREMIND

EMPIREMIND

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just like any other drug theres different types and strands which affect your body differently. Some are uppers and more of a head high and some are downers and more of a body high. Ultimately it is and should be treated as medicine. I used to smoke alot when i was younger, barely do now and feel much better. Overall i feel it slows me down, but with all the stims i take now it would absolutely aid in sleep and recovery. Still not going to venture down that road at this point.

NEBinAK

NEBinAK

Awards
Inb4 you quit lifting and sit around smoking pot all day. :D

mr.cooper69

Legend
Awards
The data shows the opposite for the latter. It's used in wasting conditions for a reason, and that reason isn't just appetite

johnnyp

johnnyp

Awards
  • Established
The actual process of smoking is bad, not necessarily the cannabinoids.

CJNator

Awards
The actual process of smoking is bad, not necessarily the cannabinoids.
There is always edibles, vaps, I've read they have THC pills, you can make cannabis juice,etc. IMO people that still smoke blunts are jays want to look cool and "gangster".

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Blunts would be equivalent to 40s in the craft beer world.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
There was actually an article written on T-Nation that talks exactly about this topic.

Check it out: t-nation.com/training/lifters-guide-to-marijuana (won't let me post links for some reason so just copy/paste it)

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Nobody has any real, current studies that prove any of the diminished athletic claims and if they did point to them, they would likely be the two tiny studies done on athletes with asthma and the other on 6 athletes testing motor skills. If you don't partake, that is absolutely fine, but many of us know how beneficial the mind/muscle and mental concentration can help in athletic endeavors, not to mention the decrease in anxiety.

jbryand101b

jbryand101b

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Weed makes me lazy as fcuk. Also makes me not give a shiit. It def effects people differently.
Docs say my pubescent gyno is from all the weed I smoked as a teenager during puberty.
I would smoke every day before, during and after school. Then I just stopped going to school as it cut into my chillaxing

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
It makes me emotional and depressed.

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
I smoked for years. I've since quit and won't go back because I'm strong enough to realise it became a real problem for me.

...but that's only because I enjoyed it so much.

After a heavy, intense session in the gym, I felt it was a great 'reward' for me. I'd shower and eat first, of course, then smoke and relax and ultimately have a great nights sleep. However, there is no way in hell I could smoke beforehand otherwise I wouldn't even pick up a bar. That was the easiest way to kill my motivation and ensure I spent an evening on the couch doing squat when I could have been in the gym doing SQUATS.

Since quitting though I've found my workout sessions better, and I'm able to push myself further and harder.

I was what you would consider a 'chronic user' though.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
After a heavy, intense session in the gym, I felt it was a great 'reward' for me. I'd shower and eat first, of course, then smoke and relax and ultimately have a great nights sleep.
I used to do the same thing - workout, shower, eat, then smoke and play video games. Every night.

It was a lot of fun, especially because I'm one of those people when I smoke, my video game skills are on a whole 'nother level and I'd kick ass in Halo all night.

I initially stopped smoking because it (oddly) started giving me panic attacks. Apparently this is more common than I thought, even though it's supposed to relax you.

Now I'm to the point where I just kinda grew out of it. I still do it occasionally, but nowhere near what I used to.

On another note, has anyone here ever noticed the opposite of what's supposed to happen and you actually get improved motor skills while stoned? Aside from the video game thing where I play way better than normally (and there is a lot of hand-eye coordination involved in gaming), I would also do things like pickup basketball games and would always play a hell of a lot better when I smoked before.

Idk, for some reason my focus gets much better and I see things I normally wouldn't.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Of course, and it is strain dependent. A good sativa will have you more alert and focused than drinking cups of coffee.

Gutterpump

Gutterpump

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Casual smoking is great for people with insomnia or even those with anxiety. Doesn't just help you fall asleep but increases sleep quality.

JXiiXViii

JXiiXViii

Awards
  • Established
Of course, and it is strain dependent. A good sativa will have you more alert and focused than drinking cups of coffee.
Yeah true - guess it depends what kind you buy.

Unfortunately buying from the local drug dealer just ensures you're getting "the best **** they have ever had" (and ironically the same thing is said the next time, the one after, and so on) :p

MyKH3LL

MyKH3LL

Awards
I used to do the same thing - workout, shower, eat, then smoke and play video games. Every night.

It was a lot of fun, especially because I'm one of those people when I smoke, my video game skills are on a whole 'nother level and I'd kick ass in Halo all night.
Ahhh, the good ol' days haha. This was pretty much exactly my routine too ;)

Volvo140G

Volvo140G

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I smoke weed daily, good medicine....

TheIronAsylum

Awards
  • Established
im just gonna say alot of pro bodybuilders smoke alot of Maryjane

P51mustang

Awards
I used to smoke a good amount a few years ago. I smoked before the gym a couple times, and I definitely did get a good workout. I wouldn't call it better.

I get seriously good at video games too; actually pay attention, use good strategies, faster reactions. I can do some awesome creative work while high too, and it does help me focus on and organize desk work. However, it made me really nervous and introverted. Between that and the fact that it costs money I don't really smoke anymore. I've got some friends that spend every cent of their disposable income on weed. Think of all the protein they could have bought!

The only real danger I see in weed is the money factor. I doubt it will make or break gains in the gym.

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
I hate threads like this.
Why do we lift? Presumably it is because we enjoy it and/or how it makes us feel and look. I don't smoke, but I presume that those who do do so because they enjoy it. I realize that I am making the dangerous presumption of rationality for people who are using a mind altering substance-true, some use it because they are addicted.
Either way, the decision to lift and to smoke are separate. Using supposed ergogenic benefits of pot to justify using it is a waste of time. If you enjoy smoking, do it: don't try justifying its use to try to get past the fact that it is a mind altering and habit forming drug, with all of the attendant moral and practical consequences that has.
I choose not to smoke, that doesn't make me better or worse than those who do-and the converse is true.

pigs

Awards
i can lift heavy weight but that was just a little much

CJNator

Awards
Damn its just a thread, no need for the hate man lol. Also I see no difference between lifting and smoking weed of you don't over think it. Both have health benefits, both can be habit forming(not likely at all), and both can be a daily routine, etc... Obviously they are 2 different things and do different stuff but if you think about it, people can use them both to escape reality. Its like carbs, there are fast carbs and slow carbs but in the end a carb is a carb.

JoeRecomp

Awards
Medical grade marijuana doesn't have that effect, it has the opposite.

rtmilburn

rtmilburn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Medical grade marijuana doesn't have that effect, it has the opposite.
Its not whether its medical or not but it depends on the strain type. Some strain, even medical, will have that effect. Some strains will give you a sorta energy like feel.

JoeRecomp

Awards
Its not whether its medical or not but it depends on the strain type. Some strain, even medical, will have that effect. Some strains will give you a sorta energy like feel.
I don't bother with Indica strains, only Hybrid which is what I'm referring to and there's only a few of those that are sedative.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
100% sativa is better than 2 cups of coffee and makes early morning dog runs awesome.