blood pressure even higher due to supps?

Awards
I recently had my blood pressure taken, and it was 150. I am only 30 yrs old.

I am guessing that supps like Tribulus and Ginseng will raise (or had raised) my blood pressure even higher.

I am just wondering if anybody else is facing this problem of high BP due to "stimulating" supps?

Skigazzi

Skigazzi

Awards
  • Established
Ive seen reports of ginseng anf high blood pressure, but it could be compeltely unrelated to your case. But it would be interesting to remove it and get retested in a month, its an easy fix if it is the issue.

Awards
I am eating raw garlic, and potassium supplements to try to lower my blood pressure.

Is anybody else experiencing high BP from the supps they are taking?

I would think that it would actually be "normal" to have an increased BP when taking stimulating supps. But of course a sustained high BP over a long perod of time can't be good for your health.

The Colonel 333

Awards
Ginseng actually, can have a thinning effect on the blood. Does it raise or lower your blood pressure I don't know. There are some studies that show contradicting evidence. Here is a copy and paste from this web site.
Asian Ginseng
Cardiovascular Health
Asian ginseng in particular may decrease endothelial cell dysfunction. Endothelial cells line the inside of blood vessels. When these cells are disturbed, referred to as dysfunction, they can cause blockage of blood flow in a variety of ways. This disturbance or disruption may even lead to heart attack or stroke. The potential for ginseng to quiet down the blood vessels may prove to be protective against heart and other forms of cardiovascular disease.

Although not proven, ginseng may also raise HDL (the good cholesterol), while reducing total cholesterol levels.

Finally, there is some controversy about whether, under certain circumstances, ginseng may help improve blood pressure. Ginseng is generally considered to be a substance to avoid if you have hypertension because it can raise blood pressure. In a couple of studies, however, of red Korean (Asian) ginseng, high doses of this herb actually lowered blood pressure. Some feel that the usual doses of ginseng may increase blood pressure while high doses may have the opposite effect of decreasing blood pressure. Much more information is needed in this area before a conclusion can be drawn. And, if you have high blood pressure or heart disease, it is not safe to try ginseng on your own, without specific instructions from a knowledgeable clinician.

Take that for what it is worth.

HairyLarry35

Awards
This is a good article to read if you want some more info, but the gist of it states that you shouldn't combine ginseng with other stims because of the potential negative blood pressure effects. There are others, as well, but this seems applicable to you.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20031015/1539.pdf#search="ginseng hypertension .pdf"

So, number one, cut out any caffeine if you are drinking any and number two, I thought Tribulus helps to treat these issues? (i.e., hypertension, impotence, ect.) Check into it yourself by doing a search, but that's what I can give ya.

Research, make the change, become healthier.

Good luck and I wish you the best.

HL

RipdnTxs2

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
U only stated 150, what was the bottom number, if u r really concerned get a BP monitor and track your numbers daily at the same time and start there, a one time blood press. reading is not a true measure........

size

Awards
  • Established
150 does not tell the whole story. Your blood pressure should read 150/??? or 150 over ???.
I would suggest getting a blood pressure monitor and check it a few times voer the course of the day. Nervousness or stress can cause blood pressure to be high for a reading when in reality it really may not be as high.

Awards
Wow, I did not know that trib will lower BP! I will start trib again. :)

I have been trying to cut out ginseng and caffeien etc, but I am still not sure what is causing my BP to be so high.

I suspect it's simply due to the fact that I am a jumpy, nervous guy.

When I take potassium and raw garlic, my BP fell to about 115/60. I usually fall asleep after taking them. :)

Without these, my BP stays around 140/70, with some variations.

I bought a BP monitor, so I'm going to keep checking to see if there is any particular supp that is the main
"culprit" for my high BP. :)