Best workout for lunch break at work

deathkiller

Awards
Im trying to decide the most effective workout choice for my schedule. I would apreciate your thoughts.

I can do a gym workout for about 30 min at noon. Then after work at 6 I have more time and can hit the gym or just outdoor cardio. The drawback is a much more crowded gym and I have more energy at noon.

My first thought was to either do a Crossfit WOD at noon and occasional cardio at 6.

Or do Madcow with ocasional cardio at 6, probably with 8 hour IF.

Thoughts?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
What are your goals from the workouts? Going for strength, size?

deathkiller

Awards
Lol, probably should have included that detail.

I'm 6'2'' at 195 lbs and 16-17% ish. I'm about 10% short of my lifting PRs and 10 lbs heavier after a few months of injury/slacking off. In a perfect world, I do what I'm doing for about 4 months and get back to 185 and 10-12%, so a small calorie deficit. In my experience, doing 5x5 with some cardio in the afternoon or Crossfit both leave me strong and conditioned. Yes, I'm stronger and a little fatter on a 5x5, but at my level it's splitting hairs a bit.

IF, btw, is a lifestyle thing. It's just easy to eat like that, but I don't feel so great doing it with crossfit. I tired for a few weeks as an experiment while back.

Bottom line, is 30 min too short for a good lifting day? Will adding cardio to that in the afternoon be too much? What do you guys do with a lunch break window?

nicksox15

nicksox15

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I have recently had to switch to lunch break workouts, but I get an hour so I'm pretty set. With that being said, you can definitely get a good lift session in 30mins. You'll need to be focused and work quickly but you can definitely get it done. And as far as adding cardio after work, there should be no problems with that, just make sure you're hitting your macros.

Wrivest

Wrivest

Awards
I would say save cardio for later. On your 30 min, I would work in a quick HIIT cycle, or some tabatas. Other than that, pick a lift you are weak on and use that 30 min to tube that one up a bit