• RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
GDA
Enzymes
Probiotic
Other?

Just curious as to some of your opinions. I'm eating a lot bulking and man I feel bloated and let's get down to brass tacks, gassy.

What has helped you guys the most. I'm leaning toward one of the first two as I eat a lot of choboni yogurts.

kbayne

kbayne

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been munching on a ton of food with my Anabeta + ArA stack while using SSv2 and Recompadrol and I am not noticing much bloat at all after my meal. Another great option would be Gut Health.

hvactech

hvactech

Legend
Awards
I use nforce and gut health on a regular basis, working good so far but even during bulk I still carb cycle. Also different carbs effect me differently....

TheSwanks

TheSwanks

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
GDA
Enzymes
Probiotic
Other?

Just curious as to some of your opinions. I'm eating a lot bulking and man I feel bloated and let's get down to brass tacks, gassy.

What has helped you guys the most. I'm leaning toward one of the first two as I eat a lot of choboni yogurts.
Try out DCP 2.0 and a TON of water. Try to limit your sugar too, that always makes me bloat more than complex carbs

bolt10

bolt10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gut Health always helps me the most with this (if it is what I think you are describing).

bdcc

bdcc

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
When you say "bloat" are you referring to abdominal distention, a bloated look from water retention or an increase in body fat?

schizm

schizm

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Probiotics/gut health have helped me with that bloat feeling after I had increased protein intake...and had helped with the carbs to an extent...

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
When you say "bloat" are you referring to abdominal distention, a bloated look from water retention or an increase in body fat?
Distention I'd say

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Distention I'd say
Is there an answer to reduce/prevent/eliminate distention besides eating less? I ALWAYS get abdominal distention, I try not to go near mirrors after a meal. LoL.

Aleksandar37

Aleksandar37

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Probiotics help me personally, although I am curious about hearing experience with enzyme supplements.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just a night time bump if anyone has anything to add. Thanks again guys.

bigintensions

bigintensions

Awards
Usually when I bulk I get a little "puffy" looking, I've started adding in 2 caps erase ed this bulk and it's been helping a lot, no puffy face or nothing.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
NOW Super Enzymes
This + Gut Health are my staples, then again most people get bloated from eating too much fiber (Veggies, oats etc) and should utilize things like trail mix, granola, dried fruits etc to help hit their carb intake.. Cream of Rice, Rice, Pasta etc all help

kenpoengineer

kenpoengineer

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
In for the information. I suffer from stomach distention as well. If I completely relax my abs I can look somewhat pregnant.

I work out abs 3 days a week and can hold my waist together normally, it's just when I completely relax. Can't pinch more than 2 inches on the abs so I know it's not fat. I'm thinking food or supplement ingredient allergy from my research so far.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Probiotics help me personally, although I am curious about hearing experience with enzyme supplements.
exactly - probiotics and anything that aids in digestion is tremendously valuable..not nearly enough ppl are educated on the value of digestive aids such as these, and most of us taking in hi-protein diets or excess caloric intake do not realize they should really be utilizing a probiotic in these instances

Is there an answer to reduce/prevent/eliminate distention besides eating less? I ALWAYS get abdominal distention, I try not to go near mirrors after a meal. LoL.
this prolly most of all..reduce portion sizes and split them up more during day
we do things to lose weight/bodyfat; when you do this, you shrink the stomach..eat a large meal, it will then be distended

Gut Health + Foods lower in fiber.
fiber will actually help, in long run
who cares about transient bloat from a meal, if fiber in the end only promotes all good things?
trade-off not even worth talking about

most people get bloated from eating too much fiber (Veggies, oats etc) and should utilize things like trail mix, granola, dried fruits etc to help hit their carb intake..
this is blatantly false
I think you misconstrue the idea that fibrous veggies contain water, so make you bloated..
reality is: we are made of 70% water, it is a good thing, and fiber is crucial to proper function
the other things are poorer sources of nutritive value (you mention will actually be opposite of what you say, promoting bloat thru holding watery dietary retention)..these are also overall poor choices for bodycomp, in comparison to the other fine sources you mention

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I think you misconstrue the idea that fibrous veggies contain water, so make you bloated..
reality is: we are made of 70% water, it is a good thing, and fiber is crucial to proper function
the other things are poorer sources of nutritive value (you mention will actually be opposite of what you say, promoting bloat thru holding watery dietary retention)..these are also overall poor choices for bodycomp, in comparison to the other fine sources you mention
excess fiber is not beneficial, and its been proven and shown.
i never said NOT to eat veggies, most people are culprit to too much fiber which can back them up and it also holds people up.
Bodycomp does not come from a source it will come from your total caloric intake, if you eat too much in a surplus you will gain, if you eat at maintaince you will maintain, no one is dumb enough to get all their intake from illogical sources. Everyone will eat good sources the majority of the time but these could help OP to reach their intake without additional bloat, this is what can happen from too much fiber:

"Too much insoluble fiber can result in physical entanglement in the gastrointestinal tract. This can cause a physical blockage that can prevent defecation and result in an emergency situation. "

iber is a natural substance found in fruits, vegetables and grains. It is an essential part of healthy digestion. Additionally, fiber adds bulk to your diet, making you feel fuller sooner and longer. It helps aid digestion and can prevent constipation.

Cramping

Cramping occurs because the body cannot properly break down fiber. If too much fiber is consumed, food digestion can be momentarily slowed or even stopped. This can lead to intestinal cramping and discomfort.

Diarrhea

If you increase your fiber intake too suddenly, then your body will not have enough time to adjust. One of the biggest benefits of fiber is that it increases the speed in which food moves throughout the digestive tract. By consuming too much fiber, you may increase this speed too much, which can lead to diarrhea.

Malabsorption

According to Colorado State University, because fiber binders to other foods, fiber could bind to nutrients and eliminate these minerals and vitamins without the body being able to absorb them. By eating too much fiber, you may interfere with how your intestines absorb certain minerals. Often, too much fiber can lead to the malabsorption of calcium, magnesium, iron and zinc. Despite this side effect, this malabsorption is typically so minimal that it does not cause for much concern.

Constipation

If you eat too much fiber without enough water, then you may become constipated. The body’s digestive tract requires fluids to help move things along. If you do not have enough fluids in your system, then your intestines will not be able to work properly and you may become constipated.

Intestinal Gas

By eating too much fiber in a short amount of time, you may experience flatulence, bloating and intestinal gas. This occurs as a reaction the natural bacteria in your digestive tract has to the fiber. To avoid this side effect, simply gradually increase your fiber intake so the natural bacteria can adjust to the fiber.

Intestinal Blockage

An intestinal blockage would be the worst side effect you could get from consuming too much fiber. This occurs when an individual eats too much fiber and does not consume enough water. Fiber can cause a blockage in the intestines, preventing any other foods to get past. Intestinal blockages can be serious health conditions and may require surgery.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
this is all very generic material, Solution..
you continually post "too much fiber too much fiber too much fiber", without first determining both how much fiber is being consumed to begin with, and how much you refer to by "too much"
this would lead the average joe who does not understand the issue, to think he has to avoid all fiber -- thereby creating a neglected component of health

also: when you quote an external source word for word, you really should use the quote function..

let's be a bit more clear: how much is this "too much" you refer to?

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've just usually striked up the temp preg look to me eating 2-3 considerably large meals a day and drinking 1.5-2 gallons of water a day. Fiber never bothered me too much (it either backs me up or gives me some bad times in the bathroom depending on the type of fiber). Not a big fan of fiber though TBH, overrated in my mind.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I've just usually striked up the temp preg look to me eating 2-3 considerably large meals a day and drinking 1.5-2 gallons of water a day. Fiber never bothered me too much (it either backs me up or gives me some bad times in the bathroom depending on the type of fiber). Not a big fan of fiber though TBH, overrated in my mind.
you are entitled to your opinion, but fact remains fiber is not only beneficial to health, it is beneficial to bodycomp as well, and is generally a very neglected component in the bb'ers lifestyle..your stance would seem to be an inexperienced one

on the flip side: we have the converse issue..if there is one thing I would agree with, it is consuming too much fiber at one given timeframe - esp in combination with a large meal..this of course can lead to issues in immediate after-timeframe
a great example of this one: everyone seems to run around touting the Quest bars - without seeming to pay attention to the ginormous fiber content each one has, or understanding that this is better dispersed over multiple times daily rather than all in one pop

confusing, and amusing

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
you are entitled to your opinion, but fact remains fiber is not only beneficial to health, it is beneficial to bodycomp as well, and is generally a very neglected component in the bb'ers lifestyle..your stance would seem to be an inexperienced one

on the flip side: we have the converse issue..if there is one thing I would agree with, it is consuming too much fiber at one given timeframe - esp in combination with a large meal..this of course can lead to issues in immediate after-timeframe
a great example of this one: everyone seems to run around touting the Quest bars - without seeming to pay attention to the ginormous fiber content each one has, or understanding that this is better dispersed over multiple times daily rather than all in one pop

confusing, and amusing
I only state that fiber is overrated on the basis that I see far too many people consume the type of fiber that would back you up or make you have rear end explosions. I'm completely all in on getting good quality prebiotic fiber into your system. Keeps you regular as well as keeping the healthy bacteria in the colon healthy. When I stated that fiber is overrated, it's of course seeing the type of fiber people are going out of their way to consume.

Not all fiber is created equal. I neither disagree or agree with your view on the importance of fiber as it all depends on the type of fiber being consumed IMO. What the majority of people do not understand is that fiber is not this one single homogeneous thing.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I only state that fiber is overrated on the basis that I see far too many people consume the type of fiber that would back you up or make you have rear end explosions. I'm completely all in on getting good quality prebiotic fiber into your system. Keeps you regular as well as keeping the healthy bacteria in the colon healthy. When I stated that fiber is overrated, it's of course seeing the type of fiber people are going out of their way to consume.

Not all fiber is created equal. I neither disagree or agree with your view on the importance of fiber as it all depends on the type of fiber being consumed IMO. What the majority of people do not understand is that fiber is not this one single homogeneous thing.
actually very good point, kudos to you then

blacklac

blacklac

Awards
In for discussion on various types of fiber and their pros and cons. :D

ayanes35

ayanes35

Awards
I'm late to the Quest Bar party and purchased about 20 for the first time a few weeks ago. Ate 3 in a short time frame before bed not long ago and I definitely didn't enjoy the rest of my evening.

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I'm late to the Quest Bar party and purchased about 20 for the first time a few weeks ago. Ate 3 in a short time frame before bed not long ago and I definitely didn't enjoy the rest of my evening.
The fiber in quest bars have been shown to not cause gas. I'll have to dig up te study. It's easy to search for.

However digestive enzymes with a bcomplex and a good GDA is what you need before a meal to keep it all running smoothly

ayanes35

ayanes35

Awards
The fiber in quest bars have been shown to not cause gas. I'll have to dig up te study. It's easy to search for.

However digestive enzymes with a bcomplex and a good GDA is what you need before a meal to keep it all running smoothly
Gas wasn't the issue. I was on a very strict diet though and I decided to fill the last of my calories with the bars and not long after I just felt some discomfort while I was in bed which made it hard to fall asleep. The only other foods in my diet were eggs, chicken, asparagus, sweet potato and brown rice which never caused any discomfort so it had to have been the sudden addition of the quest bars. I'm sure it was an out of the ordinary occurrence because now that I'm eating normally again I've had no issues with quest bars and eat them a few times a week! Love those damn things :D

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Gas wasn't the issue. I was on a very strict diet though and I decided to fill the last of my calories with the bars and not long after I just felt some discomfort while I was in bed which made it hard to fall asleep. The only other foods in my diet were eggs, chicken, asparagus, sweet potato and brown rice which never caused any discomfort so it had to have been the sudden addition of the quest bars. I'm sure it was an out of the ordinary occurrence because now that I'm eating normally again I've had no issues with quest bars and eat them a few times a week! Love those damn things :D
Microwave for like 8 seconds. Heaven

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Quest bars are great options. As Zach said, microwave and enjoy. Its tasty and healthy. They are packed with fibre. ~17g per bar.

Use recompadrol for any bloating also.

kissdadookie

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I had the runs on some occasions when eating 3 quest bars in a short amount of time. Too much fiber in too short a span of time could lead to the runs, regardless of the type of fiber (3 quest bars ='s at least 60 grams of fiber, that's a lot of friggin fiber in one go).

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
I had the runs on some occasions when eating 3 quest bars in a short amount of time. Too much fiber in too short a span of time could lead to the runs, regardless of the type of fiber (3 quest bars ='s at least 60 grams of fiber, that's a lot of friggin fiber in one go).
that's a lot of fiber in a day let alone one sitting
don't do that! :D

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Crumble up quest cups, drop in milk, winning

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
Quest bars are great options. As Zach said, microwave and enjoy. Its tasty and healthy. They are packed with fibre. ~17g per bar.
for a bar, they have some decent properties..not saying they cannot be used or made an option
what I am saying is, much like bars that contain junk collagen as main source of protein, one should also understand what nutrition they are consuming when they eat a Quest..and I find it odd that the same ppl who talk about reducing fiber or too much fiber (also odd in itself), run around pimping the hell out of these things (refer to no one specific here, so don't read anything particular into that..simply a general statement)

RecompMan

RecompMan

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I agree with you there.

I actually stopped eating quest bars and got dales raw protein bars

They have a fantastic nutritional profile and I highly recommend you guys looking at them

Attachments

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Anecdotally, Na-R-ALA seemed to help.

Probiotics also have helped as well. Nothing to significant, but slightly noticeable.

Also as debated above, excessive fiber intake, along with plenty of water during your meals is going to cause an acute bloated feeling

CJ_Xfit89

CJ_Xfit89

Board Sponsor
Awards
Fiber is beneficial. I do like to make sure it comes from whole food sources I.e berries and broccoli but for ease and simplicity when in a bind, they do their job.
Whole food 90% of the time, shakes and bar to make sure you get your macros, just bear in mind what are you trying to achieve...

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer

Bingo, most people get way too much soluable fiber and not enough insoluable fiber
Good to see you on these forums brother.

T-Bone

T-Bone

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have to have my fiber. I have 2 tablespoons of Now foods whole psyllium husks with 1 tablespoon of a metamucil store brand product each day. This, I have found works well to control my symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome. Seriously I could not go without this. I've been taking it for about 5 or so years now....

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Seriously if there was only one supplement I could take it would be psyllium husks.
Try mixing a tablespoon with a protein egg pancake, helps the final texture.
I do 2 eggs + 200 liquid egg whites + 1 scoop protein + 1 tbsp Psy Husk + Baking Powder, makes a huge low carb pancake.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Try mixing a tablespoon with a protein egg pancake, helps the final texture.
I do 2 eggs + 200 liquid egg whites + 1 scoop protein + 1 tbsp Psy Husk + Baking Powder, makes a huge low carb pancake.
I've done this a couple times and I agree, taste and texture come out great.

jerrysiii

jerrysiii

Awards
  • Established
When I get bloated is mostly at night. I also notice it happens when I eat a lot of whey isolate (it has very little lactose). Strange, but have others experienced bloating from whey iso? Not really a big deal as the bloat is completely gone in the morning.

I think it is the protein itself as I have no issue with dairy in general.

snagencyV2.0

Legend
Awards
When I get bloated is mostly at night. I also notice it happens when I eat a lot of whey isolate (it has very little lactose). Strange, but have others experienced bloating from whey iso? Not really a big deal as the bloat is completely gone in the morning.

I think it is the protein itself as I have no issue with dairy in general.
nice observation
there is a theory, that more traditional food solid food sources made for your choices (in combination with good nutritive values of these choices), will better impact the physique than substituting with a powder form whey or protein..i have observed this myself, both in myself and others, and I do agree -- one can be a little bloated or "watery" looking, if one is consuming powders as MRPs (and not hi fat/hi-carb MRPs either, I refer to powders in general, isolates and otherwise)
there are also many who would disagree with this - personally I feel it is due to an uneducated stance on such matters, and the lack of ability to have ever gotten so finite on things that they observe this themselves, so of course will disagree..
but I will make the flat out statement: whole foods are preferable to any protein shake you can consume, period

as for shakes creating your dilemma: this is where a digestive enzyme (with probiotic properties) will aid you, in the digestion of that shake..digestion is a very complicated and diverse matter, not well-understood by the mass majority of ppl in it's length nor complexity

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just a little bump to say I bought the enzymes and have been using them. I use them on my large meals and the rest of the meals are portioned more like snags talked about.

I will say, I can't find one piece of evidence that healthy individuals using digestive enzymes is beneficial, but I can feel them helping me and I feel great. Been using since a day or two after I made this thread.

I may throw a GDA in later. Haven't tried any of the new guys on the block.

Just wanted to share and thanks all for the help!

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Just a little bump to say I bought the enzymes and have been using them. I use them on my large meals and the rest of the meals are portioned more like snags talked about.

I will say, I can't find one piece of evidence that healthy individuals using digestive enzymes is beneficial, but I can feel them helping me and I feel great. Been using since a day or two after I made this thread.

I may throw a GDA in later. Haven't tried any of the new guys on the block.

Just wanted to share and thanks all for the help!
Give probiotics after a large meal a chance sometime.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Give probiotics after a large meal a chance sometime.
Well the reason I didn't buy them is I eat choboni(spelling) great yogurts all the time which are supposed to have active live cultures.

I don't know how many billion cfu's are there though...I'll give it a thought. Used them before but not on a bulk.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Well the reason I didn't buy them is I eat choboni(spelling) great yogurts all the time which are supposed to have active live cultures.

I don't know how many billion cfu's are there though...I'll give it a thought. Used them before but not on a bulk.
Controlled Labs OxiMega Greens. Try it out sometime.

Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote