Answered Best protein for any time of the day(not after training)

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Hello all.any good protein suggestions for using any time of the day?
A basic whey protein concentrate, or basic concentrate/isolate blend. It is anabolic, and has all the aminos needed to trigger muscle protein synthesis.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Hello all.any good protein suggestions for using any time of the day?
Any protein powder that
- Fits your budget
- has flavors you would enjoy
- meets 3rd party test / has a COA

Some considerations:
- Isolate/vegan/Egg (if you are lactose intolerant)
- Whey/Whey Blend (if no issues with lactose)

If cost is not an issue:
XF 2.0 (LCP, Cinnamon Roll, Mocha, Chocolate Mint)
MSI Lean Whey (Lean Charms, Oatmeal Cookie etc...)
Ghost Whey
Beverly UMP (CNC is amazing)
Metabolic Nutrition (PB Cookie is GOAT)

A little costly but not breaking the bank:
MTS (Pumpkin, Red Velvet, PB CnC, CnC, Triple Aussie Biscuit)
Nutrabio
Iforce Protean (Blueberry & RV)
Sparta Nutrition (Cinna Crunch and PB Cups)

Cost Effective:
Dymatize Whey (Choc PB, Choc Cake Batter, Snickerdoodle, Chocolate Fudge)
Cellucor (Cinn Swirl, Choc PB, Molten Chocolate)
PES (Vanilla, WCM, PB Cookie, SnickerDoodle)
Animal Whey (Banana, Red Velvet, Cookies & Cream)
Rule 1 (Banana, Fudge Brownie, Red Velvet, Pumpkin)

Isolate:
Xtend Pro (Chocolate and Vanilla are my favorites)
MAN Sports Iso (All the flavors are great I have tried)
Dymatize Iso-100 (Birthday Cake, Orange Cream, PB, Choc PB)
Allmax Isoflex (Choc PB)
Gaspari Precision (Blueberry, Neo, CTC)

Vegan:
PES Vegan (Choc is best)
AI No Whey (Pumpkin)
SAN Raw Fusion
Ghost Vegan

Egg:
Gaspari Proven Egg

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The main thing is to avoid blends with casein. Casein can take too long to digest and potential leave you with some indigestion.

General rule of thumb
- don’t consume an isolate shake within an hour of a meal
- don’t consume a concentrate, egg or vegan shake within 2 hours of a meal

With vegan protein powders make sure they have a complete amino acid profile. Checking the label should let you know which ones are and which ones aren’t. If it only consists of one type of plant protein powder then unless it’s hemp, it’s not gonna be complete.
Avoid ones with soy protein

Last edited:

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Blends.

Blends with casein are absolutely fine as well.
This is what I prefer.

PEScience Select and Olympus Labs Superior Protein are my go tos right now.

The main thing is to avoid blends with casein. Casein can take too long to digest and potential leave you with some indigestion.

General rule of thumb
- don’t consume an isolate shake within an hour of a meal
- don’t consume a concentrate, egg or vegan shake within 2 hours of a meal

With vegan protein powders make sure they have a complete amino acid profile. Checking the label should let you know which ones are and which ones aren’t. If it only consists of one type of plant protein powder then unless it’s hemp, it’s not gonna be complete.
Avoid ones with soy protein
What kind of weird broscience is this....

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The Solution gave you a nice list to choose from. I really like PES Select. It's always my go to for quality protein powder.

soxbsbll05

soxbsbll05

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
PES Select and Spartan Whey are my recommendations for good tasting blends.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
My favorite whey is what I can find for cheapest price because most companies get their bulk raws from the same place.

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thoughts on amino acids? Superior to hydrolisate? Fastest absorbtion post workout?

JulzRulz

JulzRulz

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
@PARASXOS I assume you are in GR/EU?

Personally speaking, I used to buy the more mainstream branded tubs of 30 scoops and pay 55-60 eur or order from the US an "exotic" flavour but for the past year or two I have switched to Myprotein and get the whey Isolate 2.5kg or 5kg (100/200 scoops) for that price or cheaper cause almost every week they are running some sort of promotion.

They also have other blends depending on your needs/goals but definitely value for money.

Have a look at them.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Thoughts on amino acids? Superior to hydrolisate? Fastest absorbtion post workout?
A simple whey concentrate provides the perfect amino complex, and is fast absorbing. IMO whey hydro is overpriced and not that much better. Besides, the anabolic window after a workout in not a short window.

aaronuconn

aaronuconn

Awards
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
As a replacement for whole protein intake throughout the day? Nah.

Post workout? Nah.

I’d still prefer a blend.

Now, aminos such as an EAA complex may have benefit intraworkout, but not for use post workout or throughout the day.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What people spend on amino supps could be better spent on some anabolic steaks. My opinion of course.

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
When I go really low on cals and stay up late (last meal was 5-6 hours before bedtime), I might have two scoops aminos just before I go to bed. This slight spike and insulin, and the feeling of being a little more fed hits me very fast. And I feel like it contributes alot to preserving muscles. I put two scoops straight into my mouth at like 2am before a long good night rest. Sometimes a little protein shake does the same trick. But since I have the BCAAs laying around I might as well just take it.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
If you meet protein intake in 24 hour period (1g/lb) not needed
best used between meals spaced 4-6 hours as a bolus
or used with meals that lack adequate leucine (~3g) to stimulate MPS to the greatest degree

other then that its flavored water.

If you have had a pre-workout meal there is 0 need for an instant hydrosolate/isolate/amino acid because protein is still elevated from that meal (assume 60-90 minute) you can go home and have a regular meal. The need for an instant shake or protein feeding is minimal

About 95% of people eat a pre-workout meal, sip on an amino acid beverage, and then take a shake post-workout. There is no need to stimulate MPS 3 times in a matter of a few hours. It is actually doing less good for MPS then helping you.

When are Carbs and Protein VERY Important Post-workout?

Carbs:
- During leg Training + HIIT Cardio or doing a 2-3 hour intense workout session
Protein:
-Resistance Training in a fasted state (no meal consumed at least 3-4 hours prior)

When are Carbs and Protein of lesser importance Post-workout?

Carbs:
- 1-2 hour training session after a pre-workout meal (Small or mixed 2-3 hours prior to session)
Protein:
- Training after a meal composed of 20-40g Protein at least 1-2 hours prior to a workout in a fed state.

Overall Cliffs:
- Provided protein-rich meal 3-4 hours prior to training, there is no stress about immediate post-workout protein supplement or meal
- Consume .4-.5g/kg of LBM in a pre/post workout exercise window spaced 4-6 hours depending on meal size.
- Post workout carb intake does not meaningfully increase anabolism unless doing a 2 a day workout session involving same muscle groups. Glycogen is not a limiting factor if you can consume enough Carbohydrates daily in the 24 hour period.

I know Mike McCandless was formulating a post-workout product called DH-32 Pro for Scivation when he was still at the helm. He did not find enough research back hydrosolate over an isolate or protein powder for any advantage. At the end of the day, whey is a "Supplement" to the dietary whole foods we use to meet protein intake.
The only reason one would need an isolate is if they are lactose intolerant, besides that buy a blend or generic whey to helo "Supplement" your protein intake in the 24 hour period.

Last edited:
ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
If you meet protein intake in 24 hour period (1g/lb) not needed
best used between meals spaced 4-6 hours as a bolus
or used with meals that lack adequate leucine (~3g) to stimulate MPS to the greatest degree

other then that its flavored water.

Good answer.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
And here is more good material for BCAA's

Plenty of people have bought into the marketing of BCAA. Not many people realize that if you're consuming enough total dietary protein, it already contains an abundance of BCAA. High-quality protein sources in your diet are comprised of 18-26% BCAA. Adding supplemental BCAA to that is quite literally a waste. As for the claim that supplemental BCAA is necessary to prevent muscle loss from fasted training, that's not supported by the scientific literature.

Given a scenario with equated macronutrition (including protein/aminos, collectively), fasted vs fed cardio is highly unlikely to make any difference in the sparing of muscle protein by the end of the day (or the end of the diet). My colleagues and I recently did a fasted vs fed training study & observed at null results: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25429252

Also, take note that fatty acid oxidation is greater during training in the fasted state, but greater pot-training in the fed state, so it comes out even by the end of the day. To quote a recent review by my team:

“Many bodybuilders perform cardio in the fasted state in an attempt to increase fat oxidation and lose additional body fat; however, the scientific literature does not support additional benefits of fasted cardio. In fact, increased nitrogen loss, equivalent to nearly 14 gm of amino acids per hour has been observed during 60 minutes of fasted cardio [123]. However, it should be noted that the authors could not identify the source of nitrogen nor is it known if the increase in amino acid oxidation has an effect on muscle tissue if amino acids are replenished after exercise. [...] However, acute changes in fat oxidation during exercise are not as important as the total fat oxidation over the course of the day and, as previously discussed, if more carbohydrates are oxidized during exercise, more fat is oxidized throughout the course of the day [121, 129]. [...] In support of this contention, a recent study by Paoli et al. [130] demonstrated that respiratory exchange ratio was significantly lower at 12 and 24 hours after fed versus fasted cardio, indicating that consuming a meal prior to exercise results in a prolonged shift toward lipid use following the training bout.” http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24998610

Also consider the following research where fasted resistance training during Ramadan (complete with suboptimal hydration, lol) failed to cause The Catabolizmz: "Hypertrophic training in a fasted or in a fed state during Ramadan does not affect body mass and body composition of bodybuilders." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23617897

One more - no difference in body comp changes between fed vs fasted HIIT cardio: "Short-term low-volume HIT is a time-efficient strategy to improve body composition and muscle oxidative capacity in overweight/obese women, but fed- versus fasted-state training does not alter this response." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23723099

Not necessarily - especially if we're talking about equated daily macros. The body is smarter than we give it credit for. If you deprive it of nutrients during training, it can ramp up an 'anabolic rebound' effect in the post-training period when nutrients are provided. To quote Deldicque et al: "Our results indicate that prior fasting may stimulate the intramyocellular anabolic response to ingestion of a carbohydrate/protein/leucine mixture following a heavy resistance training session." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20187284

PARASXOS

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the replies.as far as aminos(eaas)i think they are very important only during workout no matter what my daily protein-calories intake is.eaas+cluster dextrine during workout is an awesome combination for recovery amd ive tried many things..
Any opinions on trutein or mre redcon?theyre the only blends i have access atm......

TheSuppGuy

TheSuppGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Thanks for the replies.as far as aminos(eaas)i think they are very important only during workout no matter what my daily protein-calories intake is.eaas+cluster dextrine during workout is an awesome combination for recovery amd ive tried many things..
Any opinions on trutein or mre redcon?theyre the only blends i have access atm......
Trutein looks very promising!

_Endure_

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If you are going to supplement aminos go the EAA route as agreed with The Solution BCAA’s are mostly a waste if your diet is right firstly.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Considering the owner of Trutein went to jail for misconduct, and refuses to provide a 3rd party test or COA on his product I question what you truly get. They also had a very bad O-Ring Scandal where people found specs of O-Rings in the Shamrock Shake flavor. When customers brought this to Trutein's attention the owner did nothing about it even though there was a manufacturing problem.

I would pass on both products to be honest. And just get a generic whey from your area or what you have access to in your situation.

u_e_s_i

u_e_s_i

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is what I prefer.

PEScience Select and Olympus Labs Superior Protein are my go tos right now.

What kind of weird broscience is this....
That’s from some research I did confirmed by personal experience

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
For myself Isolate is easier on my stomach. I use isolate when my stomach is feeling blah. Could be first thing in morning, or could be evening. If I am rushed and on the run, my stomach seems to get more upset, and this time is ideal for isolates. 100% New Zealand, grass fed whey protein by Millenium Sports is cross flow microfiltration and whey protein concentrate from grass fed cows, and this seems as smooth on my stomach as pure isolate.

Other times blends are good. I find a blend ideal before bed.

PARASXOS

Awards
  • Established
thank you all guys.ill get animal whey which i have access atm..i think its a safe choice.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Just remember these rules:

1. Don't EVER drink your protein on the 12th hour of the 12th day following a full moon.
2. If you work out more than 2X per week, don't drink any proteins at the 36 hour mark after a workout.
3. If you drink a soy protein shake, make sure you don't have sex within 4 hours of consumption (Increased prolactin following the ingestion of an estrogenic substance like soy will give you moobs)
4. Don't EVER eat egg whites within 6 hours of having a 75% whey protein.
5. Don't EVER consume an 80% whey protein within 8 hours of having a 75% whey protein.
6. If you are using an isolate, don't ever mix it with a soy protein.
7. Don't eat pop rocks within 10 minutes of consuming a whey protein concentrate or isolate.
8. If you feel the need to defecate within 2 hours of drinking your protein shake, hold it in, you don't want to waste all that protein!!! No pooping for 5 hours MINIMUM!

poison

poison

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lol. ^

Which of these:

Any protein powder that
- Fits your budget

Some considerations:

If cost is not an issue:
Ghost Whey

Nutrabio

Cost Effective:

Isolate:
Allmax Isoflex (Choc PB)

Vegan:
PES Vegan (Choc is best)
AI No Whey (Pumpkin)
SAN Raw Fusion
Ghost Vegan

Egg:
Gaspari Proven Egg
Use US sourced whey, not Chinese?

Jbrooks

Awards
  • Established
Any protein powder that
- Fits your budget

Some considerations:

If cost is not an issue:
Ghost Whey

Nutrabio

Cost Effective:

Isolate:
Allmax Isoflex (Choc PB)

Vegan:
PES Vegan (Choc is best)
AI No Whey (Pumpkin)
SAN Raw Fusion
Ghost Vegan

Egg:
Gaspari Proven Egg
Any thoughts on OL superior protein? Its got some decent BOGO going on so thought i ask. But most likely answered my own question as it didn’t make the list

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Any thoughts on OL superior protein? Its got some decent BOGO going on so thought i ask. But most likely answered my own question as it didn’t make the list
I have reviewed all the flavors on my youtube
@Bkupniewski

I think it is a good protein and cost-effective on the BOGO.

DGator86

DGator86

Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Just remember these rules:

1. Don't EVER drink your protein on the 12th hour of the 12th day following a full moon.
2. If you work out more than 2X per week, don't drink any proteins at the 36 hour mark after a workout.
3. If you drink a soy protein shake, make sure you don't have sex within 4 hours of consumption (Increased prolactin following the ingestion of an estrogenic substance like soy will give you moobs)
4. Don't EVER eat egg whites within 6 hours of having a 75% whey protein.
5. Don't EVER consume an 80% whey protein within 8 hours of having a 75% whey protein.
6. If you are using an isolate, don't ever mix it with a soy protein.
7. Don't eat pop rocks within 10 minutes of consuming a whey protein concentrate or isolate.
8. If you feel the need to defecate within 2 hours of drinking your protein shake, hold it in, you don't want to waste all that protein!!! No pooping for 5 hours MINIMUM!

This tells you everything you need to know.
It doesn’t matter when or what you’re taking. If you are looking at this level of minutia you better have your diet perfected. Macros perfect. Hitting them every day, no lower or higher. Using a good variety of animal and plant food sources.

Use a protein powder if you want. I use it to hit my macros in my 4 hour eating window. Still buy my protein from Aldi though. Cheap as hell.

You’d be much better off just getting your protein from quality meats including organs. It’ll be much more complete from an amino acid profile standpoint.

matteoF1

Awards
Any protein powder that
- Fits your budget

Some considerations:

If cost is not an issue:
Ghost Whey

Nutrabio

Cost Effective:

Isolate:
Allmax Isoflex (Choc PB)

Vegan:
PES Vegan (Choc is best)
AI No Whey (Pumpkin)
SAN Raw Fusion
Ghost Vegan

Egg:
Gaspari Proven Egg
Well if someone looking some economy whey buy that are always good product?

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Blends.

Blends with casein are absolutely fine as well.
I take A blend of hydro salmon and micellar whey for 8 grams plus 24 grams. Works for me post.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I have reviewed all the flavors on my youtube
@Bkupniewski

I think it is a good protein and cost-effective on the BOGO.
Question for you? If they use casein for slow protein but add enzymes will that make it fast again?