Best pre bed shake

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established
I am just getting some advice on pre bed shake.Who does it, any reccomendations of what to do, what not to do. I am just guesing a casein or blend that breaks down slowly. Basically just want to help muscles recover but not put on a bunch of fat from consuming a bunch of calories and going to sleep

FL3X MAGNUM

FL3X MAGNUM

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Definitely either store bought casein powder in water or milk, or some cottage cheese.
I throw creatine/bcaa's in mine simply because I can afford to, not sure if it has any extra benefits since the half life of bcaa's is so short. My theory was to increase GH levels during sleep.
Try to avoid carbs in your night time shake. High carb levels=blood insulin spike. High insulin=no GH signaling. You want GH to be at a max during sleep.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I used to have a pre shake. Until I got annoyed with getting up at night to piss. So my pre bed shake is now two hours before bed instead of being closer to bedtime. My shake consisted of Cassien, peanut butter, and cottage cheese.

J19891

J19891

Awards
I am just getting some advice on pre bed shake.Who does it, any reccomendations of what to do, what not to do. I am just guesing a casein or blend that breaks down slowly. Basically just want to help muscles recover but not put on a bunch of fat from consuming a bunch of calories and going to sleep
Youve got the right idea. A casein blend is ideal.

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
I used to have a pre shake. Until I got annoyed with getting up at night to piss. So my pre bed shake is now two hours before bed instead of being closer to bedtime. My shake consisted of Cassien, peanut butter, and cottage cheese.
I too take mine about 2 hours pre bed a whey/casein blend.

abformulations

abformulations

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I too take mine about 2 hours pre bed a whey/casein blend.
I did the same thing but depending on my micros for the day. I've stopped taking Cassien for the simple fact I take whey instead with the cottage cheese. Cottage cheese is mostly Cassien and slow burning protein. Saves me some money on buying Cassien powder.

StackedCop

StackedCop

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I stooped drinking a pre bed shake over a year ago. Now I just eat a cup or 2 of cottage cheese and 4 eggs, either over easy or hard boiled. When I don't have time to cook the eggs I mix a scoop of whey with the cottage cheese.

MattPorter

MattPorter

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yes for powders I like RXwhey dot com --Pro-Blend (4 variations of protein)

Food options I like cottage cheese, steak or whole eggs.

-Matt

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
You're not going to get fat from a pre-bed shake. You're going to get a bunch of fat from eating too much and bringing in too many calories versus your expenditure on a daily basis. Heck, my largest meal of the day is pre-bed, and I'm not getting fat from it. Daily macros is where your focus should be.

But if you do want a shake pre-bed, go with XF UP 2.0. Delicious.

kaikara

kaikara

Awards
  • Established
You're not going to get fat from a pre-bed shake. You're going to get a bunch of fat from eating too much and bringing in too many calories versus your expenditure on a daily basis. Heck, my largest meal of the day is pre-bed, and I'm not getting fat from it. Daily macros is where your focus should be.

This ^

I stopped having shakes before bed over a year ago. It's steak and eggs now.

criticalbench

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
2 scoops dymatize elite xt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 2tbsp peanut butter.. yum!

AntM1564

AntM1564

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
2 scoops dymatize elite xt, 1/2 cup cottage cheese, 2tbsp peanut butter.. yum!
This! I use one scoop chocolate whey, 1 serving cottage cheese. 2-3tbsp pb and mix it in a bowl. tastes like a damn peanut butter cup!

bigbeef

bigbeef

Awards
  • Established

That is the protein I use. Lemon cream pie is the best

thestein1016

thestein1016

Awards
  • Established
Casein keeps me awake for some reason.
Now its just 1 scoop muscle milk and 28g almonds.

drooks10

drooks10

Awards
  • Established
That is the protein I use. Lemon cream pie is the best
lcp is absolutely ridiculous. All the flavors of UP 2.0 are top-notch, though. Dave does a tremendous job with flavoring.