Best Nooptropic for Dementia

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
My Mom has Dementia and is 89 yrs old. The Dementia has not been too bad until the last 6 months where her short term memory is really getting bad.

What do you think could help my Mom's brain? ty...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
IN FOR REPLIES...my mom turns 87 this month. dementia runs in the family, but only seems to affect the females?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Creatine (serious)
Cod liver oil
Synapsa, a patented extract of Bacopa
KSM66 Ashwagandha extract

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
My Mom has Dementia and is 89 yrs old. The Dementia has not been too bad until the last 6 months where her short term memory is really getting bad.

What do you think could help my Mom's brain? ty...
Her doctor doesn't have her on anything?

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Lions Mane as well. 1.5 to 3g a day. Been studied to reverse dementia in rats.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Her doctor doesn't have her on anything?
She is on some things from her dr...for anti stroke anti seizure. I am planning an appoinment to if her dr can prescribe anything (but i doubt they will). This has been a slow decline for many years and been known and treated by her drs (neurolgist, psych and gp).

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Lions Mane as well. 1.5 to 3g a day. Been studied to reverse dementia in rats.
What source would u recommend. I personally have tried Pure Bulk's powder and gotten only a little result (but its cheap compared to others).

THOR 70

THOR 70

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think I remember seeing something on MCT oil for dementia. Cant remember the MOA but probably has something to do with ketone bodies. Best of luck

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
What source would u recommend. I personally have tried Pure Bulk's powder and gotten only a little result (but its cheap compared to others).
The nootropics depot brand is quality.

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Get a quality clinically studied form like Amyloban. It's far more potent than any Lion's mane and standardized for ngf factors.

stimtron

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
She is on some things from her dr...for anti stroke anti seizure. I am planning an appoinment to if her dr can prescribe anything (but i doubt they will). This has been a slow decline for many years and been known and treated by her drs (neurolgist, psych and gp).
I suggest the following:

Hydergine, a potent racetam like oxi, ani, or prami racetam, cdp-choline, andrographis for neuroinflammation, cbd with thc or palmitoylethanolamide for the cannabinoid system, Hup A, and maybe kanna which blocks some brain aging enzymes.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
First thing - get her bloods and look for anomalies. Take a list of her medications. Avoid anti-acetycholinergic drugs (benedryl for instance).

Agmatine is incredibly helpful in the elderly. It has been shown to reverse dementia and alzheimers in mouse models, is backed by peripheral studies lonking arginine depletion to alzheimers and dementia, protects against TIA and stroke damage, etc.

Chances are with someone that age, they are probably on blood thinners. If they are, I would be very, very cautious about giving them anything herbal.

Lots of stuff out there shows promise, very little delivers any true world benefit. I have had my grandmother on Agmatine and it has helped in numerous ways, but it isn't going to stop time.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The protein suggestion is a good one too. Most elderly are protein deficient, and face sarcopnia, and low blood albumin which effects a number of health and drug processes.

Again, a list of medications she is on is pretty necessary before giving much advice - you would hate to give her something with the intent of helping only to find out it had an interaction that may have been minor in normal people but could be catastrophic in the elderly. Most doctors won't have a clue about anything herbal and my grandmother's dr. has OKd things I had to put the brakes on because it would interact and the dr. didn't know.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Oh, and if she is on a blood thinner, I would be REALLY careful about any cannabanoid activation. She probably doesn't need to go through blood transfusions.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I missed this one. This would negate most nootropics in my opinion. A lot of times though, elderly get diagnosed with dementia and it isn't dementia at all. It is actually delirium. There are a lot of things that can contribute to neurological deficits in the elderly. They can look like dementia but if you can pinpoint the underlying cause, and correct it, there function will come back. But it isn't always easy to pinpoint.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
First thing - get her bloods and look for anomalies. Take a list of her medications. Avoid anti-acetycholinergic drugs (benedryl for instance).

Agmatine is incredibly helpful in the elderly. It has been shown to reverse dementia and alzheimers in mouse models, is backed by peripheral studies lonking arginine depletion to alzheimers and dementia, protects against TIA and stroke damage, etc.

Chances are with someone that age, they are probably on blood thinners. If they are, I would be very, very cautious about giving them anything herbal.

Lots of stuff out there shows promise, very little delivers any true world benefit. I have had my grandmother on Agmatine and it has helped in numerous ways, but it isn't going to stop time.
any drug interactions to watch for with agmatine?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
any drug interactions to watch for with agmatine?
There are some that I know of - mostly positive. I am more than happy to look into any drugs if either you or the OP want to PM me a list or discuss my experience. I am no doctor but I have had a lot of experience with my own grandmother.

The reason I got my grandmother on it was because she was using opioids for chronic pain. The agmatine reduces tolerance to opioids and has helped us to reduce her dose from 50 mcg/hr of fentanyl and 25 mg/oxycodone per day to just 5 mg of oxycodone per day. There were other factors, but ir certainly helped.

It is also good for pain, depression and anxiety itself...although very minor.

It gies well with opioids, SSRIs, anxiety meds, etc. because of these effects.

In theory it could have a transient blood pressure lowering effect.

In other words, a lot of the interactions will warrant a lower dose of the drugs being needed and should not be dangerous.

The CYP450 interactions for agmatine are almost non-existent it seems as well, so it isn't like a grapefruit type effect, it won't effect the pharmacology of the drugs directly in most cases.

My grandmother is on warfarin and we have had no issues with the blood thinners, etc.

I may be forgetting something, but if you have a drug in question and I can help I will.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
There are some that I know of - mostly positive. I am more than happy to look into any drugs if either you or the OP want to PM me a list or discuss my experience. I am no doctor but I have had a lot of experience with my own grandmother.

The reason I got my grandmother on it was because she was using opioids for chronic pain. The agmatine reduces tolerance to opioids and has helped us to reduce her dose from 50 mcg/hr of fentanyl and 25 mg/oxycodone per day to just 5 mg of oxycodone per day. There were other factors, but ir certainly helped.

It is also good for pain, depression and anxiety itself...although very minor.

It gies well with opioids, SSRIs, anxiety meds, etc. because of these effects.

In theory it could have a transient blood pressure lowering effect.

In other words, a lot of the interactions will warrant a lower dose of the drugs being needed and should not be dangerous.

The CYP450 interactions for agmatine are almost non-existent it seems as well, so it isn't like a grapefruit type effect, it won't effect the pharmacology of the drugs directly in most cases.

My grandmother is on warfarin and we have had no issues with the blood thinners, etc.

I may be forgetting something, but if you have a drug in question and I can help I will.
Gonna get a list for you. ty Bro...

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Gonna get a list for you. ty Bro...
Cool. Hope I can help. Like I said, I am not a doctor, just a disclaimer. But I will share what I know and can back up.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Cool. Hope I can help. Like I said, I am not a doctor, just a disclaimer. But I will share what I know and can back up.
you re a good man, thank you!!!

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
IIRC he said this has been progressing for years I.e. not delirium

Agmatine has nearly no bioavailability and an exceedingly transient half-life. It is actually labeled as “non-drug like” in most pharmacology sim databases.

Looking at anticholinergic drugs is a great idea as many elderly have extensive lists of medications which can impact cognitive reserve.

Short of cancer pain, there is no indication for chronic opioids.

This won’t be a popular opinion but there is literally nothing that can reverse dementia *once it is clinically apparent.* Monoclonal Ab’s Have been developed which can eradicate amyloid and tau in the brain and do not impact progression. This is because the organic mechanical damage to the neuron and neuronal circuits has already passed threshold for recovery. The trick is for earlier screening interventions.

As far as neuronal / symptomatic salvage, acetylcholine esterase inhibitors May prolong activity of daily living but again will not impact progression and most will have limited objective benefit.

*Early* cognitive impairment is best served by minimizing vascular risk factors (especially blood pressure and diabetes), low carbohydrate diets, and caloric restriction for those with metabolic syndrome. Supplement wise, Niagen, galantamine, DHA, possibly Ach sources (CDP choline, alpha GPC).

Source: I am a neurologist.
Great post - and yeah, the gradual decline does point to dementia. But gradual can be dependant on what exactly they are observing. Sometimes families see memory issues and slight confusion, that slowly turns into something more profound, like a sudden hallucination or loss of executive function, and they will describe it as gradual when really the newest item is more accute.

But yeah, I agree with being more gradual being more like the progression of dementia.

And I wholeheartedly agree that at some point it is like pissing in the wind trying to come up with natural substances to combat complex issues like this. People shouldn't get false hope or try to fully reverse damage that is already done.

As far as agmatine - not sure I agree on the bioavailability statement but you are correcy about the half life and elimination topic. Agmatine will not remain as agmatine in the system for very long. Its presense in plasma may only last minutes in a lot of cases, from what I have read, but it may remain in certain tissues longer.

Fortunately, IMO, agmatine does not need to stay agmatine to benefit dementia patients. Maybe I am wrong, but my reasoning is based on Dr. Carol Colton's work on Alzheimers and arginine deficiency.

She did show, albeit in mice, that DMFO reversed cognitive deficits on AD model mice. Now...IMO we lack a definitive pathology to alzheimers so two strikes - mice and the model itself.

But this research, to me, points toward a possoble pathology related to immune response and possible infection of some sort (I believe many diseases cause the over expression of arginase to cripple the immune response).

Arginine would be worthless in this scenario because it doesn't cross the BBB.

Agmatine, however. does cross the BBB, does inhibit arginase, retains much of the functionality if arginine and also increases arginine levels better than oral arginine.

Complete wild a$$ guess here, but norvaline may also have a benefit from this angle.

Additionally, the NO mediated effects of agm will improve cardiovascular health which should help delay the progression of dementia.

But to your point - not expecting much if any reversal and theory, not fact.

I still think it has health benefits regardless and is probably one of the best shots without creating a coctail of a handful of unknown drugs/ingredients that may just create more polypharmacy.

Would love to hear your thoughts on that mkre, given you actually know what you are talking about and I probably don't know what I don't know.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Also, glad to hear your views on opioids. I share this view...acute, end of life or possibly surgical treatment, but definately no chronic application. Wish more doctors saw this sooner.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Also, glad to hear your views on opioids. I share this view...acute, end of life or possibly surgical treatment, but definately no chronic application. Wish more doctors saw this sooner.
doctors have definitely cut back on prescribing opioids...in their defense many were concerned with quality of life issues from chronic pain...there are very few effective alternatives available for those who suffer from serious chronic pain that interferes with living a normal active life.

mavup

Awards
  • First Up Vote
IIRC he said this has been progressing for years I.e. not delirium

Agmatine has nearly no bioavailability and an exceedingly transient half-life. It is actually labeled as “non-drug like” in most pharmacology sim databases.

Looking at anticholinergic drugs is a great idea as many elderly have extensive lists of medications which can impact cognitive reserve.

Short of cancer pain, there is no indication for chronic opioids.

This won’t be a popular opinion but there is literally nothing that can reverse dementia *once it is clinically apparent.* Monoclonal Ab’s Have been developed which can eradicate amyloid and tau in the brain and do not impact progression. This is because the organic mechanical damage to the neuron and neuronal circuits has already passed threshold for recovery. The trick is for earlier screening interventions.

As far as neuronal / symptomatic salvage, acetylcholine esterase inhibitors May prolong activity of daily living but again will not impact progression and most will have limited objective benefit.

*Early* cognitive impairment is best served by minimizing vascular risk factors (especially blood pressure and diabetes), low carbohydrate diets, and caloric restriction for those with metabolic syndrome. Supplement wise, Niagen, galantamine, DHA, possibly Ach sources (CDP choline, alpha GPC).

Source: I am a neurologist.
Sorry to bump this, but it doesn’t look like I can pm you. I’m starting medical school this year, and am looking at incorporating some of the nootropic advice from your old posts on here/your blog/other forums.

Is galantamine still one of your favorite nootropics? Also, what do you think about some of the research that galantamine isn’t a nicotinic pam in humans? Do you have any thoughts on tropisetron?

Last edited:

mavup

Awards
  • First Up Vote
a lot of my opinions have changed, yes. I now recommend against alpha GPC. I’ve written about it recently.
I did see that, and believe you said Cdp-choline does not share the same byproducts/effects.

Do you still recommend galantamine? I’m thinking of doing galantamine/Cdp-choline/alcar/DHA. But if that could be improved, I’d be interested, too.

HorseCar

Awards
Do nootropics work for dementia at all? I thought there was no cure for that disease whatsoever.
I think each brain is different and different people might need different things to cure their cognitive diseases. As far as I know, those cognitive diseases are one of the most difficult ones because we still don’t know much about our brain and how it works. I take an online memory test from MemTrax each year to track the state of my memory and ensure I notice the moment my brain function starts to decline.
I am not sure I will develop anything like this, but I have a hereditary predisposition to this disease.

Last edited:
Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Do nootropics work for dementia at all? I thought there was no cure for that disease whatsoever.
As has been stated above, there is no "cure" for Time. .... It marches on, and will eventually result in the wearing out of the body, and it's systems to a degree....
However, we can mitigate these effects to a degree by using compounds that result in positive (or less negative) changes in our bodies and minds.

Some of the guys above definitely seem more knowledgeable in the area of Dementia reduction/reversal than I currently am ..... Which is why I'm checking out this thread and their responses.
I have an older friend who is starting to struggle more with it.

kisaj

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
This is one of the many amazing things about Aniracetam. IMO, probably one of the most important noots/supplements we should be studying for cognitive benefits and anxiety treatment with minimal side effects.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I just realized who you are. I used to read your old blog. Do you have a new blog? Always loved the information you brought to this forum and others.
I haven't seen him @Irishobrien post on here in a long time. I wasn't aware that he had a blog; could you pm me a link to it? I always liked him and would like to get in touch with him.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I haven't seen him @Irishobrien post on here in a long time. I wasn't aware that he had a blog; could you pm me a link to it? I always liked him and would like to get in touch with him.
Yeah he seems to pop in here sporadically. If it’s who I’m thinking of, I’m pretty sure he had the blog High Tower Pharmacology or something. Many years ago, I guess some of his work was plagiarized, so he made it private or something. I think that’s why that guy was asking if there’s a new one.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Yeah he seems to pop in here sporadically. If it’s who I’m thinking of, I’m pretty sure he had the blog High Tower Pharmacology or something. Many years ago, I guess some of his work was plagiarized, so he made it private or something. I think that’s why that guy was asking if there’s a new one.
I never knew he had a blog, but I always enjoyed him posting here. He had stopped awhile back when there was an argument between him and someone else. I missed the argument, but I knew that's why he stopped posting and I really hate it that he did because he was a good contributor.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I never knew he had a blog, but I always enjoyed him posting here. He had stopped awhile back when there was an argument between him and someone else. I missed the argument, but I knew that's why he stopped posting and I really hate it that he did because he was a good contributor.
I am pretty sure that is Neuron. High Tower Pharmacology was the blog. People like him and No Hype used to be great posters. They predated Mr. Cooper in great informative posts. Obviously Mr. Cooper became a high caliber poster as well. They used to all have fantastic discussions, along with other names that elude me at the moment, on a supplement science sun forum on another site I will not name out of respect for AM that I loved.

sns8778

sns8778

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I am pretty sure that is Neuron. High Tower Pharmacology was the blog. People like him and No Hype used to be great posters. They predated Mr. Cooper in great informative posts. Obviously Mr. Cooper became a high caliber poster as well. They used to all have fantastic discussions, along with other names that elude me at the moment, on a supplement science sun forum on another site I will not name out of respect for AM that I loved.
I'm familiar with all of those guys and still keep in touch with a lot of the posters from back then outside the forums.

You had quoted @Irishobrien , so that was who I was talking about. If he had a blog, I didn't know about it and he's someone I would have liked to have stayed in touch with but he stopped posting on here awhile ago.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm familiar with all of those guys and still keep in touch with a lot of the posters from back then outside the forums.

You had quoted @Irishobrien , so that was who I was talking about. If he had a blog, I didn't know about it and he's someone I would have liked to have stayed in touch with but he stopped posting on here awhile ago.
Yea I am not 100% sure if it is him. Just figure I’d take a shot.
Yea I’m not on nearly as much as I used to be just due to family and work, so I figure a lot of those guys are very busy.
I never got super personal with any of those guys, but always learned a lot and had great interactions.

Irishobrien

Awards
  • First Up Vote
Appreciate it man 🤙

Beau

Beau

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I wonder what happened to Mr. Cooper and what he is currently involved with?