Behind-the-neck Shoulder Press, thoughts?

solomon-chan

solomon-chan

Awards
Hello all,

For awhile I was doing overhead presses on shoulders days as my pressing movement. While I like the movement, I work my front delts in other ways so I wanted to find an alternative pressing movement. I use to perform BTN presses back in the day, and have started to incorporate them again into my shoulder routine.

I do lightweight and make sure to move the weight in a very controlled manner, as I'm aware its a risky movement with conflicting opinions on its place in any routine. My question to you, do you like this movement and why would you NOT use it in your own routine?

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Say what you want about Jeff Cavaliere, who happens to be a physical therapist and has been a strength coach for professional sports teams. So check this video out. This is why I don’t do them.

Last edited:

Jensing

Awards
I like it. I usually do standing and it's light weight. If I want to push more weight I'll do seated smith machine to be safer. I think it's a great movement for development and mobility.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Another exercise you'll age out On..!!
As I've aged lifting, certain exercises I once Loved, I've had to X off..!!
I loved heavy OHP...and BTN OHP..
Shoulders are easily injured in both of these exercises..if not the Neck..
Today, I have to constantly go to PT to get around surgery..
Without a doubt,heavy Over Head Presses and Upright Rows contributed greatly to the severe neck nerve I'm dealing with..
Some may be lucky..and never have any problems..
Risk vs. Reward..!!
Z...

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Another exercise you'll age out On..!!
As I've aged lifting, certain exercises I once Loved, I've had to X off..!!
I loved heavy OHP...and BTN OHP..
Shoulders are easily injured in both of these exercises..if not the Neck..
Today, I have to constantly go to PT to get around surgery..
Without a doubt,heavy Over Head Presses and Upright Rows contributed greatly to the severe neck nerve I'm dealing with..
Some may be lucky..and never have any problems..
Risk vs. Reward..!!
Z...
Agreed. I’m 50 and I have nagging injuries from doing exercises and other things because it was the cool thing to do or someone in the gym said you had to do it to gain muscle.

I posted that video hoping people would watch it and say, “hey this dude is a medical professional who has studied biomechanics of the human body and is trained to rehab injuries. Maybe I should listen to him and not do BTN presses.”

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I think people get a little overzealous with fears of exercises from time to time. There probably are exercises that are more likely to be inadvisable than others, and maybe this is one of them, but that doesn't mean there is zero utility to it. Exercises are just a tool and some tools are better than others for some or best used for certain purposes.

If you like them, find them effective, have the appropriate range of motion, then I don't see why you couldn't implement them at times in your programming.

I don't find most people have the proper range of motion for them, but I have used various grips of behind the neck presses, push presses, and jerks in my programs in the past. I've used them both in an attempt to increase stability of the overhead position, build the positioning, and to help increase strength/size in my shoulders before.

sammpedd88

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think people get a little overzealous with fears of exercises from time to time. There probably are exercises that are more likely to be inadvisable than others, and maybe this is one of them, but that doesn't mean there is zero utility to it. Exercises are just a tool and some tools are better than others for some or best used for certain purposes.

If you like them, find them effective, have the appropriate range of motion, then I don't see why you couldn't implement them at times in your programming.

I don't find most people have the proper range of motion for them, but I have used various grips of behind the neck presses, push presses, and jerks in my programs in the past. I've used them both in an attempt to increase stability of the overhead position, build the positioning, and to help increase strength/size in my shoulders before.
I get what you’re saying but having a physical therapist with the knowledge as Jeff Cavaliere has say it’s an exercise that shouldn’t be done isn’t being overzealous. I think it’s being smart to listen to people like this. I’ve even went back and looked at as many shoulder workout videos by John Meadows and I can’t find any where he recommends them. I just don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I get what you’re saying but having a physical therapist with the knowledge as Jeff Cavaliere has say it’s an exercise that shouldn’t be done isn’t being overzealous. I think it’s being smart to listen to people like this. I’ve even went back and looked at as many shoulder workout videos by John Meadows and I can’t find any where he recommends them. I just don’t think the juice is worth the squeeze.
I mean you are entitled to your opinion.

I just think that it is pretty short sighted to completely dismiss the movement.

I haven't even paid attention to him in years, but I also just find most Youtube sources weak as a general rule and Jeff in particular isn't the greatest source imho. Just because he is a physical therapist doesn't make his opinion immediately valid either, I know plenty of other therapists who would disagree with him.

As I alluded to as well there is plenty utility for an exercise of this nature. Olympic lifters use various grip widths behind the neck in various presses, push presses, and jerk variations quite frequently as a means to strengthen the overhead position, the shoulders, and upper back.

Maybe for most bodybuilders it isn't the best choice (so maybe or maybe not for OP), but that doesn't mean for those with certain goals and the adequate stability and range of motion that it doesn't have use. Different goals for different folks.

Wobmarvel

Wobmarvel

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I think as long as you start with light weights and concentrate on smooth range of motion without body English then you are all good. Probably stop at 3 RIR or so. These are exercises that you don't want to be doing cheat reps on. That's where injuries can happen. You can get away with that doing barbell biceps curls but not here.