Barbell Behind the Neck Press

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
I know a lot of You don’t like Barbell behind Neck Press. People ask Me all the time,what exercise I do for My Massive Shoulders. I tell them Barbell Front Press, and Behind the Neck Press. Then I will tell them if you do behind the Neck Press go with a Light Weight. Barbell press is the Beef and Gravy for My Shoulders. What do You Guys do for your Shoulders,and what do you think about the Behind the Neck Press? Thanks

lokedog

Awards
I know a lot of You don’t like Barbell behind Neck Press. People ask Me all the time,what exercise I do for My Massive Shoulders. I tell them Barbell Front Press, and Behind the Neck Press. Then I will tell them if you do behind the Neck Press go with a Light Weight. Barbell press is the Beef and Gravy for My Shoulders. What do You Guys do for your Shoulders,and what do you think about the Behind the Neck Press? Thanks
Bad is what i think. If you must do them , don't go below ear level.

kjalapeno

Awards
I have had great success doing the same. Always go light behind the neck, with very slow controlled reps. No injuries so far.

Low

Low

Awards
I like behind the neck low weight high rep - pulls ups - then alternating dumbbell shoulder press high rep 6 sets or until failure. Today I got such a massive pump from alt dumbbell press I could barely hold my arms up over my head

Jebrook

Jebrook

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Heavy front presses for building the delts and I love very light behind the neck presses for a finisher. It provides a helluva a pump and helps maintain my shoulder mobility.

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Honestly low weight plenty reps....blah. Like any muscle group you must challenge the muscle to elicit a change. I don’t max out on behind the neck presses but I will do heavy sets of 5. I do believe you can run straight into impingement issues if you rely on them however but that’s where fun rehab and a proper warmup and cool down are key.

There’s many different modes of exercise for everyone. One rep range may be more comfortable than others. Bottom line if you have no pain in the movement don’t restrict yourself. Listen to your body and be safe with a spotter.

lokedog

Awards
Bottom line if you have no pain in the movement don’t restrict yourself. Listen to your body and be safe with a spotter.
Lol.. No the bottom line is the damage is cumulative and you may not feel much for awhile... till you do once enough damage has stacked up.
Besides all that, i don't understand why people don't just use dumbells and avoid the potential joint problems altogether.
I have hooks for the dumbells to hang off a bar because once you get up around the 100lbs dumbells, throwing in place gets a little rough.
Also most gyms have cables (which i prefer as it hits rounded movements far better as well as flows with the joints) where you can do seated military.
But you know.. you guys do whatevz

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Lol.. No the bottom line is the damage is cumulative and you may not feel much for awhile... till you do once enough damage has stacked up.
Besides all that, i don't understand why people don't just use dumbells and avoid the potential joint problems altogether.
I have hooks for the dumbells to hang off a bar because once you get up around the 100lbs dumbells, throwing in place gets a little rough.
Also most gyms have cables (which i prefer as it hits rounded movements far better as well as flows with the joints) where you can do seated military.
I have been doing Seated behind the Neck Press for years with no issues. It’s really all about the Person Experience and Technique in the Gym Game..

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There a fantastic exercise and all of the biggest guys I know have in common that they all do them. Most ppl who say there bad never do them and parrot what some articles said a few years back.

Now, if you already got bad shoulders then obviously you can't do them but otherwise if done correctly with the right amount of weight there gr8

BEAST73

BEAST73

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
There a fantastic exercise and all of the biggest guys I know have in common that they all do them. Most ppl who say there bad never do them and parrot what some articles said a few years back.

Now, if you already got bad shoulders then obviously you can't do them but otherwise if done correctly with the right amount of weight there gr8
Exactly!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Great exercise. They'll expose/highlight mobility or injury issues but won't cause it if done correctly imo.

Personally prefer high rep low weight

TheMovement

TheMovement

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
The cumulative damage exists for every exercise though. There are so many factors to consider.

tyga tyga

tyga tyga

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The shoulder is a ball and socket. The arm is meant for horizontal, lateral, external/internal rotation and extension/flexion. Healthy shoulders function on ALL planes.

Bottom line, behind the neck presses are safe for those with HEALTHY shoulders. Like the movement said, barring not restrictions or impingements.

Nice straw man with “cumulative” damage.

lokedog

Awards
The shoulder is a ball and socket. The arm is meant for horizontal, lateral, external/internal rotation and extension/flexion. Healthy shoulders function on ALL planes.

Bottom line, behind the neck presses are safe for those with HEALTHY shoulders. Like the movement said, barring not restrictions or impingements.

Nice straw man with “cumulative” damage.
I know exactly what it is and what it does, the muscles used the origin insertion and intended use.... how they work and angles of impingment.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I do all lateral movements usually. I seem to get the best width this way, heavy Partial laterals as well. If I do behind the neck press its as a warmup, light. With an overhead press usually on a machine although maybe higher rep range dumbbell press sometimes as I feel that gets a thicker look to to front delts.