Beginner looking for tips!

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Hi everyone, I'm new here....and apologize in advance for the long post. I recently started weight training with my husband (who has been at it for years). He has been great at helping me with form, getting familiar with moves, & getting into a routine. However, his focus is a bit different from mine, at the moment. I'm wanting to lose weight & lean out & cut my physic vs focusing on just improving my strength. I'm 5"1' & currently 128.6 lbs. My main target areas where I hold fat are my midsection, thighs, & butt....but I want to build/cut the rest of my body as well. I'm looking for tips (precise moves, ideal weight range, reps, etc) that will help me put together a gym regimen more specific to me, to help me achieve my goals. Please keep in mind I am a beginner.
*Ultimate goal...cut fat in trouble zones while building muscle & strength* (especially in upper body).*
Current weekly routine is...
MON - Abs & cardio (at home)
TUES - Shoulders
WED - Legs
THURS - Arms
FRI - Abs & cardio (at home)
SAT - Chest
SUN - Back

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
The only real difference for your goals is diet,
Eat at a slight deficit and if you like the routine stick to it

Great you have him as a free coach :)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
You don't need a full day for shoulders if physique is the goal, just add on some accessory lifts elsewhere

The big movements are the best bang fir your buck, squats and deadlifts

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
I do like the routine. I'm still working on reigning in my diet. I've cut all processed foods & am eating clean. Now to really start counting my intake...now that body has adjusted well to the drastic changes I've made in the last few weeks.

I agree...very lucky to have him!!

MARK_

MARK_

Awards
Glad to have you at AM! Having a target to aim at is very important and you seem to have one of those. You have come to the right place for advice and along the way. Driven2lift has given you some great advice already. Stay at it! Don't give in when you're tired. Go for small, slow goals and you will see the results you want in time :)

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I do like the routine. I'm still working on reigning in my diet. I've cut all processed foods & am eating clean. Now to really start counting my intake...now that body has adjusted well to the drastic changes I've made in the last few weeks. I agree...very lucky to have him!!
Counting your intake is a important step, from there it is fairly simple to adjust for your goals

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
I'm currently looking at apps to help with that...my mommy brain can't keep up with it all, all day. I cook & prepare meals for my whole family. So, knowing exactly what's going into everything is definitely going to help! Thanks for your help.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congrats on getting involved and welcome to AM!

As has been stated, the most important thing will be tailoring your nutritional goals and the hard training will yield the results you want based on caloric/macro intake. I know a lot of people use different apps; the one I've used for quite a while is fitday. I personally hate the app, but like the website version/interface. I eat a lot of the same things, so I just built a huge catalog of the specific foods and brands I use and then I'll just add them in as I eat them. Then when I do something out of the ordinary, I can search on there for it (or if I'm extra OCD that day and it's from a restaurant, I'll google their nutritional info and plug it in on my own).

Good luck!

Driven2lift

Driven2lift

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
I'm currently looking at apps to help with that...my mommy brain can't keep up with it all, all day. I cook & prepare meals for my whole family. So, knowing exactly what's going into everything is definitely going to help! Thanks for your help.
Myfitnesspal is a simple one as well :)

yates84

yates84

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Samsung smart phones have sfit that works pretty good for me

love2liftkat

love2liftkat

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Welcome to AM! You're a lucky gal to have your husband there to help you with the lifting part! That was hard in the beginning! Sounds like you're off to a good start already! I use myfitnesspal as well to log my food. You can create recipes and break down into portions since you cook things at home. Once you get them entered, it will make it easier and faster to keep up with. I also enjoy full body workouts and split workouts! (push/pull alternating days) I know how busy life can be with kids so 3-4 days of lifting seems to be easy to fit into the schedule.

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Thank you! I was considering split workouts too. I've just been following hubby's routine for now. I'm very lucky to have care for my son, so I can go 5 days a week to the gym. Hubby said he'd help me implement a split plan though. I think I wI'll enjoy that. I'll definitely check out the myfitnesspal app too.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Welcome to AM! ??

liftingamber12

liftingamber12

Awards
  • Established
Thank you. I'm glad to be here. I feel like between hubby & all of you I'll have great support & resources to learn from!

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Awesome! We're all family here! :D