Barbell Shoulder Shrugs

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
I was at the gym doing Back / Biceps.

I went to go do my shrugs, i like barbell over dumbbell... I put on my weights and put em out. My last set is 315lbs x 6. I don't use a belt...

This guy comes up and say that it was way to much weight for that move and I should have a belt to do it or I'll get hurt.

My questio is... Is 315lbs to much for that lift? I disn't have much issue with form since my buddies were spotting me. But it just got to me.

Opinions? I didn't think that it was a lot, since I've heard of people doing 400+

Thanks,

D3vildog

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's not too much weight, but your technique may have been bad.

I prefer DB because you can adduct the scapula, which you can't do with a BB.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Very true, maybe I should alternate between the two types to get full ROM...

I will look at ways to improve my form and technique.

Thanks,

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I prefer DB because you can adduct the scapula, which you can't do with a BB.
I would agree with that, except for instances when the gym doesn't have heavy enough DBs. Because of that, I typically hit BB (or Smith) shrugs hard and then move onto the heaviest DBs and rep them out and squeeze hard / slow.

I also don't use a belt for anything just to make me more conscious of using proper form. I definitely wouldn't bother to use one on shrugs (that's just my opinion, though).

Grebeck

Grebeck

Awards
I switch it up every workout rotating between: Smith shrugs, reverse smith shrugs, DB shrugs seated and standing and BB shrugs. Usually super set with upright rows. As far as weight, I use whatever I can do for strict, squeezing at top, slow and steady reps keeping and feeling constant tension on the traps.

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I switch it up every workout rotating between: Smith shrugs, reverse smith shrugs, DB shrugs seated and standing and BB shrugs. Usually super set with upright rows. As far as weight, I use whatever I can do for strict, squeezing at top, slow and steady reps keeping and feeling constant tension on the traps.
Where are the trap bar shrugs? I find that to be the ultimate shrug exercise.

D3vil, seems fine if you can keep good form and contract at the top of the movement. If you are doing sissy shrugs, you might want to lower the weight. I too like to alternate between db, bb and tb.

Grebeck

Grebeck

Awards
^^^As you can see in my Avi the closest gym to me is planet gayness (hence the purple trim on windows) So you won't find a trap bar in there! They don't even have a decline bench and DB's only hit 75. So I do what I can with what I got bro!

SuperRook

Awards
Nah that's not too much

I use 315 - 365 on the BB shrugs

JThaR3ason

Awards
not sure what your strength level is, but i would be comfortable saying 315 is not too much. As for a belt, i personally dont use a belt until i go over 400. were you doing them behind the back or in front? I find when doing them behind the back, the initial lift off is where i feel most stress on the back, as for in front i dont usually feel too much stress on my back. Personally i wouldn't listen to this guy telling you its "too" much weight. From my own experience my traps dont really get stimulated enough to grow until i slap on as much weight as i can move. I like to use heavy barbell in cunjunction w/ moderate to high weighted barbells focusing on the contraction at the top. Obviously everyone will have their own opinion and everyone responds different to different methods of training.

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
As long as you're getting a full rom its not too much weight. I've seen guys shrug 9 plates and have a full rom. If what you're doing resembles shoulder twitches then you should probably go down in weight.

Pleonastic

Pleonastic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
well 315 is way more than I'll ever handle but im weak lol. I do sets of like 185lbs. But if you can do it clearly its not too heavy. And a belt has never been proven to prevent any injuries, although I get in practice people seem to think it helps.

Did you say you were being spotted??? How do you get spotted on shoulder shrugs?

cvs766

Awards
I think you're fine; 315 isn't too much (more than I do ha). I like to do both barbell and dumbbell shrugs though...mix it up and get the full ROM.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Proper form and ROM is far more important than weight IMHO.

If you want to be lifting heavy weight then do deads. They will work your traps quite well.

Unless you maintain good form with 315 you can be setting yourself up for injury. You can have issues with disc compression that when you move incorrectly to just the slightest degree.

Opinions? I didn't think that it was a lot, since I've heard of people doing 400+
Are they also 5'11" and 188lbs? It's relative.