Back in the gym after years away

supersoldier

supersoldier

She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
Awards
  • Established
For those of you that don't know me, I was a regular poster here for many years, years ago. I bodybuilded to some degree for most of my 20's. I got into it in the heyday of legal PH's...biggest (then legal) cycle I ran was 2g/week 4AD-cyp with 1g/week of 1T-cyp and alternating orals. Biggest "real" cycle I've run was 700mg/week of each Test-P / Tren-A / Masterson-P. So I've been around the block and know my way around diet and nutrition, in general.

Fast forward to now...without getting into too much detail, for the past few years I've really struggled. A series of unfortunate events mixed with depression mixed with blah blah blah caused me to be basically sedentary, and ultimately reaching 370+ pounds. I'm not making excuses or looking for sympathy by any means, just telling it how it is. Anyway...

Been back in the gym regularly for about 3 weeks now, my life in general is looking up as well. I bought some Lipodrene Elite and Noopept, started taking that and made it to the gym 3 times in my first week. My first workout was about 5 work sets (light weight) of chest, and 25 minutes on the elliptical. My last workout (today) was 9 work sets of chest (still light weight but heavier than the first 2 chest days) followed by 73 minutes on the elliptical. I've also dropped 15 lbs.

After week 1, I dropped the Lipodrene and Noopept for Buproprion and Adderall (after seeing my psychiatrist). Say what you will about Adderall...I don't take it for weight loss, I actually need it (but obviously its potential for weight loss is enormous). Obviously this isn't relevant for everyone, but I've noticed that my heart rate is significantly lower using Adderall with a bit of caffeine than it was with the Lipodrene / Noopept combination (while using the elliptical at the same intensity).

For those of you not familiar with Adderall, it completely obliterates appetite (amongst other things). My diet has been nothing but protein shakes and turkey sandwiches. And by turkey sandwich I mean 2 slices of whole grain bread with no-sodium added Boar's Head turkey, nothing else. I'm running a severe calorie deficit. I don't eat before the gym, just after. Money is a little tight right now but I'm starting a new job soon, but I'm planning to add fish and/or flax oil, and will pick up another bottle of Orange Triad asap.

I've been out of the supplement scene for so long that it's hard to discern what's hype and what's actual feedback. Could use advice on what the best flax and fish oil supplements currently are. And I'm also looking for a reasonably priced protein powder blend. Trutein seems to be the best that I can find but $60 for 4 lbs is a bit pricey. Combat Protein is much cheaper but also seems to be much more whey than a true blend. Would like something closer to Trutein so I can mix with water and not skim milk and skip all that lactose.

Comments, thoughts, suggestions appreciated.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Back at it again today. Weighed in at the gym prior to workout at 356 with clothes and shoes on, was 369 in underwear only 3 weeks ago. Managed 12 work sets of back and 77.5 minutes of cardio. Daily goals are to add volume with weights, and time/intensity for cardio. All goals were met.

Anyone ever use a lateral elliptical machine? http://www.octanefitness.com/commercial/products/standing-ellipticals/lx8000/
For me this thing is TOUGH. I'm using it at the lowest later width setting and lowest resistance. The first time I tired I thought nothing of it and managed 2.5 min lmao. Did 6 min 2 days ago, 7 min yesterday, and 8.5 min today (followed by 69 min on the regular elliptical). Will shoot for 10 min tomorrow and so on. For those not familiar with it, I'd describe it as something more like a no impact stair stepper than an elliptical. Lactic acid buildup in the quads is unreal after just a few minutes for me, whereas I can breeze through an hour ++ on the regular elliptical.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Forgot to mention in OP that I'm also using 4mg Nicorette. So current relevant supps/drugs are Buproprion IR 100mg once daily, Adderall IR as needed (15mg in the morning, 7.5mg as needed after that), 4mg Nicorette as needed, Nutrapro Whey Protein, and Orange Triad.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Cardio only today. Managed 15 min on the lateral elliptical (up from 8.5 min yesterday), and 77 more minutes on the regular elliptical. Total 92+ min of cardio. I threw one set of leg curls in for good measure (after the lateral, before the regular). Making serious progress :D

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Ill support you in this man

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Ill support you in this man
Thanks! Was getting lonely in here lol.

Today's workout: 2 sets of deadlifts, 4 sets of back extensions, 4 sets of abs (machine), 4 sets of dumbell shrugs, 1 set of obliques (cable side bends, 1 set each). 30 minutes on the lateral elliptical! That's the tough one I mentioned that's more of a no-impact stair stepper imo. Just to reiterate...the first time I tried it I managed 2.5 min and it killed my quads. Waited a few days before attempting it again, managed 6 min. Next day 8.5 min. Yesterday 15 min. Today 30 min :head:! Then moved on to the regular elliptical, even upped the tempo and resistance and managed 64 more minutes.

Summary: 15 work sets of resistance training and 94+ minutes of cardio.

Perhaps I did a bit much today, but wanted to match my cardio total time from yesterday to assess the new running shoes I got. I'm a flat footed overpronator, and I'm heavy. After extensive research I decided to go with Saucony Redeemer ISO. You can pick these up fairly cheap at the moment because the Redeemer ISO 2 just came out. I originally took the advice of one website and bought a half a size up and had to exchange them for the size I'm accustomed to (I usually wear New Balance). It's only been today's workout with the correct size, but so far I'm thrilled with them. Especially considering I paid $83 for a $150 shoe :D. If anyone is a flat footed overpronator and interested pm me for more info if you like.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
16 work sets of chest/tris, 81 total minutes of cardio today.

Went for volume and weight increase today.
4 sets flat chest press (Hammer Strength equivalent): 45's each side, 10 reps, 4 sets.
4 sets decline (HS equivalent): 45's each side, 10 reps, 2 sets. Had to drop to 35's for next 2 sets of 10 (last chest workout used 35's for all sets, so still progress).
3 sets of cable/rope triceps pressdowns. 10 reps each set, weight was laughable and not worth mentioning.
4 sets seated triceps pressdowns (almost but not quite a seated dip machine) started with 60 ended up at a 100, all 10 reps. Was surprised how "easy" this was for me in relation to my pathetic attempt at triceps pressdowns lol.
1 set machine flies. 110lbs, failed on the 8th rep. Could have probably squeezed 10 out, but I'm running a severe calorie deficit and probably borderline overtraining as is.

36 min on the lateral elliptical (up from 30 yesterday).
12 min walking at 3.1 mph 2% incline on the treadmill. This was actually the first time I've attempted any treadmill work since getting back to the gym. The new shoes worked wonders here, I felt great and could have went longer, but wanted to leave room to improve tomorrow.
33 minutes on the regular elliptical. Upped both pace and resistance from my average elliptical sessions.

Woot. :D

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
16 work sets of back/rear delts/lateral delts and 79 min of cardio today.

Goals met, making progress each workout.

Also took some "before" pics but won't post them until I have some decent after pics. I put "before" in quotes because I'm already down 15-20 lbs :D

Also picked up some True Grit protein (at a helluva deal) and a fresh bottle of Orange Triad. Will add some more supps once I start my new job in a month and have some money to spend.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
"Off day" yesterday. Played Pokémon Go with my brother and nephew. Found a pair of New Balances in my closet, looked them up and they said "great stability" etc so I decided to wear them instead of my new Saucony Redeemers...big mistake :frustrate

According to my phone I walked 6.2 miles (I'll be buying a Fitbit after I start my new job and have more money). My feet were ungodly sore by the time I finished. Taking a day off from the gym today (at least I'll try, but it's tough for me) to try and rest my feet.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Couldn't fight the urge to hit the gym, so no day off...

16 work sets of legs, 72 min of cardio.

First high volume leg day since my return to training. 8 sets of leg presses, 4 sets of leg extensions, 4 sets of leg curls. Fairly light weight but very little rest between sets.

49 min of lateral elliptical (previous best was 36 min), 23 min on regular elliptical.

Progress ftw :banana::feedback:

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Great to see your back at the gym...it can be hard to get the gym bug back after time off!

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Great to see your back at the gym...it can be hard to get the gym bug back after time off!
I hear ya. It's funny, I'm so into it that I'm really having trouble taking a day off even when I feel I could use one.

Today's workout: 16 work sets of chest and tris, 65 min cardio.

5 sets flat press (Hammer strength equivalent): all 45's each side, 10 reps.
7 sets decline press (HS equivalent): 45's each side first set, failed at 9. 25's each side for 15 reps for next 4 sets. 35's each side for last 2 sets, 15 and 12 reps.
4 sets of triceps push down machine (similar but not quite seated dip): 1 set @ 100 lbs 10 reps. 3 sets @ 80 lbs for 15, 12, 12. Very little rest in between all sets compared to how I've always trained.

65 minutes on the regular elliptical only. I'd like to keep using the lateral elliptical maybe every other day, but for whatever reason that one makes my feet sore a lot faster than the regular elliptical.

Godstrength

Godstrength

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
16 work sets of back/rear delts/lateral delts and 79 min of cardio today.

Goals met, making progress each workout.

Also took some "before" pics but won't post them until I have some decent after pics. I put "before" in quotes because I'm already down 15-20 lbs :D

Also picked up some True Grit protein (at a helluva deal) and a fresh bottle of Orange Triad. Will add some more supps once I start my new job in a month and have some money to spend.
Awesome work bro... 15-20 lbs is a good start. C'mon bro, going to encourage you for the long haul. Keep moving you got it man

I heard the true grit pre workout is decent... Ive been wanting to pick one up as there pretty cheap but I'm sitting on 5 pwos at the moment lol

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I hear ya. It's funny, I'm so into it that I'm really having trouble taking a day off even when I feel I could use one.

Today's workout: 16 work sets of chest and tris, 65 min cardio.

5 sets flat press (Hammer strength equivalent): all 45's each side, 10 reps.
7 sets decline press (HS equivalent): 45's each side first set, failed at 9. 25's each side for 15 reps for next 4 sets. 35's each side for last 2 sets, 15 and 12 reps.
4 sets of triceps push down machine (similar but not quite seated dip): 1 set @ 100 lbs 10 reps. 3 sets @ 80 lbs for 15, 12, 12. Very little rest in between all sets compared to how I've always trained.

65 minutes on the regular elliptical only. I'd like to keep using the lateral elliptical maybe every other day, but for whatever reason that one makes my feet sore a lot faster than the regular elliptical.
Crushing it brother. Just keep doing what your doing, and you'll be back in no time

Martyfnemec

Martyfnemec

Awards
  • Established
"Off day" yesterday. Played Pokémon Go with my brother and nephew. Found a pair of New Balances in my closet, looked them up and they said "great stability" etc so I decided to wear them instead of my new Saucony Redeemers...big mistake :frustrate

According to my phone I walked 6.2 miles (I'll be buying a Fitbit after I start my new job and have more money). My feet were ungodly sore by the time I finished. Taking a day off from the gym today (at least I'll try, but it's tough for me) to try and rest my feet.
I love my Fitbit watch and scale. It all syncs to your Fitbit profile. You go off the rails on your diet for a week and gain weight, it's there. You decide to be lazy and move a total of 1,300 steps across an entire weekend, it's also there. The accountability alone is worth it for me, but then you also get quantifiable data to see how you're trending in weight, exercise, etc. To some people, it's a waste of money. To me, I love it.

Im in for this log and I wish you the best of luck. I know you can do this!

mkluttobvuy

mkluttobvuy

Awards
good luck. i admire ur focus and determination. we all go through lows...

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
I love my Fitbit watch and scale. It all syncs to your Fitbit profile. You go off the rails on your diet for a week and gain weight, it's there. You decide to be lazy and move a total of 1,300 steps across an entire weekend, it's also there. The accountability alone is worth it for me, but then you also get quantifiable data to see how you're trending in weight, exercise, etc. To some people, it's a waste of money. To me, I love it.

Im in for this log and I wish you the best of luck. I know you can do this!
A Fitbit is right at the top of my list of things to pick up once I start the new job and have some cash flow. Was reading that they even track your sleep habits and cycles and whatnot now, and some sort of VO2 thing that lets you know if your breathing is ideal for whatever exercise you're doing...like monitoring too long/short inhales/exhales, etc...or some **** like that anyway. Would also like a true heart rate and not need to rely on the stupid handles on the cardio machines and whatnot. Lots of upside, that I can see.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Played Pokémon Go again with my nephew and brother, walked 5+ miles. Good time for an off day right? Nope :ntome:

12 work sets of back, 30 min of cardio.

4 sets Pulldowns (HS equivalent): 45's each side, 12 reps (up from 10 last time)
4 sets Cable Rows: First set 88 lbs, 10 reps. 77 lbs, 12 reps for 2 sets. 66 lbs for 15 reps.
4 sets Cable Pullovers: 55x10, 44x12, 2 sets of 33x15. Very little rest between all sets.

30 min on elliptical (cut cardio short cause I walked 5 miles earlier in the day and I'm a fatass and my feet hurt :D)

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Crushing it brother Keep at it

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Today's workout: 16 sets of abs, traps, calves, obliques. 65 minutes of cardio.

4 sets on ab machine. Tbh I forget the weight but it was much more than I did last week.
4 sets DB shrugs: 40x12, then 3 sets of 50x10.
4 sets (each side) cable side bends: 27.5lbs, 12 reps.
For calves I just walked on my toes flexing my calves. I'm a fatty, who needs weights or a machine lol. 2 "sets" of 30 steps. Next one 40 steps. Last one 46 steps.

65 min on elliptical. I guess I hit it harder than usual, my pace and heart rate were higher than usual.

Somebody convince me to take a day off :ntome:

grinnell27

grinnell27

Awards
  • Established
Nice man, it hard to take a day off sometimes...and the whole day you just want to be there but it can make a world of difference taking that 1 day out.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Looks like I'm taking today off, and tomorrow as well...aside from helping my dad move which may or may not be more of a workout than hitting the gym. Also I bought a Fitbit Blaze. Not sure if I'll keep it or return it, since I just now saw that there's a decent upgrade called the Fitbit Ionic set to ship in October :banghead:

ericos_bob

Awards
  • Established
Being able to balance your training with daily life and make adjustments while remaining consistent takes more discipline than sacrificing "life" to train every single day.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Moving today, as it rained yesterday.

Yesterday did 16 sets of chest and tris and a 1 min stretch in 27 min (Fitbit tracked it).
55 min on elliptical (went all the way till the gym closed).

There wasn't much discrepancy between the HR displayed on the elliptical and the HR tracked by the Fitbit, however the Fitbit said that I burned over twice the amount of calories as displayed on the elliptical (both allow you to input age, weight, etc.) :think:

I like the Fitbit overall but I think I'll return the Blaze for the Charge 2. I have to constantly adjust the Blaze so that it sits mostly flat on my arm, otherwise the right side of the face sits slightly off my arm for some reason. They say to wear it 1-3 finger widths above the wrist bone for accurate heart rate, so it's pretty lose as is and I gotta keep sliding it back on my arm.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Moved some today. Wasn't too hard aside from the humidity and sweating like a mofo. Hit the gym on the way home.

16 sets of back. 40 min cardio (went till the gym closed again).

Finishing up moving tomorrow and the gym is only open till 5 so off day tomorrow.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Took 2 days off from the gym. Yesterday I did nothing. Monday I was moving all day. Also I've had a productive cough and sore throat for almost a week now, got some cipro laying around so decided to start taking it yesterday. Anyway...

16 work sets and 79 min of cardio today.

4 sets Deadlifts: 135x10. Wasn't heavy but only my second time deadlifting since I've been working out again, so it really winded me and made me sweat. Kinda humbling, I used to rep 405 for 20. I'll get back there :D
4 sets dumbell lateral raises: 10lbs X 10, 10, 12, 12.
4 sets Ab machine: 100x12 2 sets, 80x12 2 sets.
4 sets (each side) Cable side bends: don't recall the exact weight but it was more than last time, 12 reps each.

79 min on elliptical. Pace and intensity higher than usual.

Weighed myself yesterday...down 27 lbs from the first time I got the nerve to step on the scale about a month ago :head:

DemntedCowboy

DemntedCowboy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Took 2 days off from the gym. Yesterday I did nothing. Monday I was moving all day. Also I've had a productive cough and sore throat for almost a week now, got some cipro laying around so decided to start taking it yesterday. Anyway...

16 work sets and 79 min of cardio today.

4 sets Deadlifts: 135x10. Wasn't heavy but only my second time deadlifting since I've been working out again, so it really winded me and made me sweat. Kinda humbling, I used to rep 405 for 20. I'll get back there :D
4 sets dumbell lateral raises: 10lbs X 10, 10, 12, 12.
4 sets Ab machine: 100x12 2 sets, 80x12 2 sets.
4 sets (each side) Cable side bends: don't recall the exact weight but it was more than last time, 12 reps each.

79 min on elliptical. Pace and intensity higher than usual.
Great Job Brother. Keep at it

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Thanks bro :cheers:

Today's workout: 16 sets chest / tris, 79 min cardio.

4 sets flat chest press (HS equivalent): 55 each side X 10 for 3 sets, failed at 8 on 4th.
4 sets wide decline chest press (HS equivalent): 45 each side X 10 reps, 35 X 12 reps for 3 sets.
4 sets close grip decline chest press (HS equivalent): 35 each side X 10, 25 X 12, 12, 15.
4 sets machine flies: 90 X 12 for 4 sets. Little rest between sets.

79 min on elliptical, greatly increased pace and intensity.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday's workout: 16 sets back and lateral delts. No cardio (did weights till the gym closed)

4 sets pulldowns (HS equivalent): 55x12
8 sets cable Pullovers: 66x6, 55x10, 44x10, 44x10, 44x12, 44x12, 44x15, 33x20
4 sets DB lateral raises: 15x10, 3 sets. 15x10 drop set 5 more reps with 10's.

Day before was out of the gym but walked 7 miles. :D

Off today, watching football and cleaning the house later.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Sunday was an off day but did tons of **** around the house. Yesterday no gym but walked 17 miles, all but destroyed my feet :banghead:

Hit the gym today and did chest and tris, I don't really know how many sets but it was a lot, lots of drop sets and whatnot. 50 min of cardio, highest intensity yet. Gonna try and cut cardio time down and up intensity to give my feet a break. Down about 30 lbs all together

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday 16 sets of back, 50 min cardio. Walked a ton today again, feet are struggling. I got my feet X-rayed Monday, will probably get a referral to podiatry and custom orthotics. In the meantime I should pick up some good OTC insoles. Probably taking the day off from the gym. If I do go it'll be abs/obliques/lower back/lateral delts with little or no cardio.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
21 work sets lower back/abs/calves/obliques/lateral delts. 54 min cardio. Best workout yet...

4 sets Deadlifts: 225x10, 185x10 (3 sets)
4 sets calves: walked on my toes flexing calves, 40 steps, 60 steps, 80 steps, 100 steps
5 sets Ab machine: 100x12, 100x10, 80x12, 80x12, 80x15
4 sets DB lateral raises: 20x10, 15x10, 15x12, 15x15
Cable side bends: 50x12 (3 sets), 60x15

54 min on elliptical, best pace and intensity yet.

And I still do 1 min DC style hard stretches for major muscle groups...is that still in style? Lol

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
12 sets of legs, 4 sets rear delts. 90 min cardio.

6 sets leg presses: 3 plates each side X 10 (5 sets), X 12.
3 sets leg extensions
3 sets lying leg curls
4 sets rear delt machine

90 minutes on elliptical (slow and steady compared to recent shorter sessions)

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Today's workout: 20 sets of chest/tris, 54 min cardio.

4 sets low incline DB press: 50x10, 50x10, 45x10, 35x12
HS flat chest press: 45's X 10 (3 sets), 45's X 12
HS decline close grip: 45's X 10, 35's X 9, 35's X 10, 25's X 12
HS decline wide grip: 25's X 10, 5, 7, 5 (very little rest between sets)
Fly machine: 90x7, 70x10, 60x12, 50x20

54 min on elliptical, best intensity and pace yet. :feedback:

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Subbed! Keep killing it boss!
Thanks bro :cheers:
My calorie intake is super low and I generally don't eat until post workout. Will maybe drink a shake in the morning, not sure. Thinking of adding in some sort of AAS. Anavar would be ideal, though I do have 2 vials of Test-E at home :think:
Don't really wanna take clen and Adderall at the same time but all my labs check out and my heart is fine so maybe. Took some Triac once, which worked fantastically, but didn't like the way my thyroid labs looked for a while after discontinuation...so I'm hesitant to try T3 (and if I did I'd prefer to be on some kind of AAS cause excess T3 kills workouts). What to do, what to do

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
16 sets back, 54 min cardio. Slept like ****, woke up 90 min before alarm clock. Workout was pretty decent considering.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
6 sets of abs/obliques, 41 min of cardio today. Just wasn't feeling it...

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Took 4 days off from the gym. Was very active all but Sunday though, and diet still clean as ever. Did chest today.

6 sets low incline DB press: 55x10, 55x10, 55x10, 55x5, 40x12, 35x12
4 sets HS flat press: 45's x10 (3 sets), 45's x12
3 sets HS decline press (close grip) 45's x5, 35's x8, 25's x10
Fly machine: 100x5, 80x8, 60x12

54 min on elliptical. Pace was nothing special. The last 18 min or so was pretty slow cause my knee started bothering me a little bit.

Down another 10 lbs from the last time I got on a scale. Down 40 lbs total :head:

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Yesterday's workout:
2 sets Deadlifts: 315x3, 225x10
3 sets back extensions
3 sets Ab machine
1 set DB side bends

58 min on elliptical.

Taking today off, knee is bothering me.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
16 sets of back. 54 min elliptical, first time I kept the resistance on 5 the whole time. Usually I start at 5 to get my heart rate up and lower it at 20 min or so. Knee and feet felt fine the whole time, that's a plus.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Today's workout: Cardio only, 100 minutes. 61 minutes on lateral elliptical...went till basically I physically couldn't do more. Then 39 min on the regular elliptical.

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Took 5 days off (still active outside the gym).

Yesterday's workout: 16 sets of back, 94 min cardio.

8 sets cable pullovers
8 sets pulldowns
Went with a pre-exhaust iso then compound to switch it up. Will probably do the same for chest next workout.

94 min elliptical. Level 5 intensity the whole time

supersoldier

supersoldier

Awards
  • Established
Tonight's workout:

4 sets leg presses: 4 plates each side, 10 reps.
6 sets DB lateral raises: 15x10 15x10 15x10 15x10 12x10 8x12 (not much rest between sets)

30 min on treadmill: 5 degree incline 2.8 mph.
35 min on elliptical

Down about 45 lbs now since I started training and dieting again.