purebred said:So, strength training is typically most effective when performed in the morning, but testosterone levels are higher in the morning hours, so which one is it? Am I the only one who feels like there is a bit of contradiction?
Evening for fat loss and AM for all else?You got the wording mixed up but I get what your point is. The take away from this article is there are 2 optimal times to train.
I think the reasoning behing associating strength training to late afternoon workouts is simply due to glycogen build-up, which you need lots of, the get the most out of your body. If you have been eating and staying in a caloric surplus all day (which I personally do), you'll come into the gym with more output in a smaller time window due to all the carb-loading you've done over the previous 8 hours. I wouldn't just include strength training in that category however. I'd go as far as to say that maximum intensity is met when muscle glycogen is peaked before training.
This type of biology applies to everyone, not just some versus others. But what does vary from person to person is the ability to train in a fasted state well. Anyone can do it, but not all individuals have high mitochondria count in their muscles and not all individuals are enduranced-focused trainees. Some people are capable of metabolizing a higher percentage of fat for energy than others. I'm on the other side - I can eat and hold tons of carbs and my body will use them very efficiently when weight-lifting. However, due to my nature, when I am out of glycogen I am completely gassed and finished with training. Naturally, for those like myself, we train in the evening when our glycogen levels are highest.
I say whatever works for you to reach your goals. During comp time, it's not unheard of to have training sessions in both morn and eve.
The whole testosterone argument isn't a compelling force to train AM, IMO. While they are higher, it doesn't really equate to a large difference. Using DAA preWO could single handedly turn the table on that argument. Your body moreso uses test to shuttle nutrients to the muscles than it does for strength. I'd say eat tons in the AM and training afterwards for max results.
Good comment, the glycogen store argument is relevant to all trainees that are not keto-adapted (which is most), in keto-adapted trainees glycogen stores are of no issue as your muscle cells will use saturated fats and mono-unsaturated fats as fuel rather than glycogen (reserving the PUFA for storage).
You can offset the higher testosterone in the morning by actually switching to a keto-adaptive state as testosterone levels rise when you are in this mode and the difference between AM and evening is negligible (at least a strong case can be built from the scientific literature regarding this).
Either way you can work with glycogen stores or fat. That really gassed feeling you get when you finish a heavy duty set has to do a lot of the time with the lactic acid build up in your muscles which then increases your blood PH towards acidic levels and thus you hyperventilate like someone in diabetic keto-acidosis.
I find my recovery is much better when keto-adapted although the muscle looks harder rather than bloated, due to the fact that glycogen holds water in the muscle cells and creates that swollen look.
Cheers,
Panda
I can imagine. Unfortunately, due to my fast metabolism, I do not have the luxury of removing or even reducing any of the macro nutrients if I plan to build muscle. Perhaps when I'm 40, and my body is already fairly jacked up, I'll try a more extreme approached to get lean such as keto or whatever is popular then.