Article: Supplements You Need

Great topic. Agree with most of it.

Surprised that B6 was singled out of the whole complex. I believe the whole complex is necessary.

Dont really see the point of supplementing A, especially since its in many protein powders and multi's (if used, I personally don't). I thought you got plenty from your diet, however it's got me thinking and I am going to research the topic more.

In my opinion calcium should be taken with vitamin d. Although I think neither should be supplemented and should be consumed also via the diet. Milk, yogurt, orange juice, leafy veggies, etc. not to mention its in a lot of protein powders and multis. Plus, its not the best for your heart....

Im very surprised essential fatty acids were not mentioned.
 
Pretty good list. For anyone who hasn't also read Dr. Houser's thread, I'd advise doing that. If you were to take Orange Triad (and I'm sure a handful of other multis have similar amounts), it includes the 10,000IU of Vitamin A, 30mg zinc and 30mg B6. It only has marginal amounts of the others listed, as it should. I, too, am surprised that the entire B-complex wasn't mentioned. For the vitamin C, I'd split the doses up throughout the day. Dr. Houser recommended 500mg/serving, IIRC. The calcium is something you should be careful of, as (like many things) too much can be detrimental/counter-productive. My calcium levels have always shown at the max end of normal and I only get what comes in my multi. I do, however, consume a lot of whey. Getting more magnesium, separately (or from ZMA) would certainly be a good idea. With zinc, same as calcium, more is not always better, though. If you have any blood work to base it off of, I would use that, rather than just taking recommended amounts. Your diet will obviously dictate a lot of this. I'm also surprised Vitamin D wasn't mentioned (and I agree with the above post about EFAs, too).
 
Vitamin A is essential to the functioning of the immune system, and it can also aid thyroid and metabolic function (especially for those with sub-optimal thyroid function).

I'm commenting because the suggested dosage of vitamin A (5000-10,000 IU/day) is way too low, that's only about 1 softgel per day (softgels from the drugstore are usually 8000 IU).
You can, and should, actually go all the way up to 50,000-75,000 IU, that is, about 6 to 9 softgels per day. Take them mostly earlier in the day.
Two warnings:
1/ Watch yourself. If you get jitters -- which is unlikely -- decrease the dose.
2/ Do not exceed 100,000 IU per day.

Also, you should front-load the vitamin A, i.e. take most of the pills during the first half of the day. If intermittent fasting is your thing, then take four or five of them on an empty stomach first thing when you wake up; you will find that they help you ward off hunger as well.

Disclaimer: I am not a physician, and this post does not constitute medical advice.
 
Also surprised that B6 was singled out. B12 is probably the most important vitamin in the B complex, especially as regards immune system function and metabolic consistency.

B12 should also be taken by itself, since it is usually present in trifling quantities in "B-complex" vitamin tabs. I.e. you might get only 50-100mcg of B12 in a B-complex tab -- that's a negligible quantity.
Sublingual B12 tablets are best. At my local drugstore the sublingual B12 goes all the way up to 5000mcg per tab (which is about as much as you want per day, ideally).
 
Back
Top