Sad but necessary

The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Pretty silly if you ask me. Every year people are at risk for the flu here. Media is hyping this up big time. Basically the flu with a bit more respiratory symptoms. Ugh was lookin forward to this

Anabaholic

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The real question is will companies still have an Arnold expo discount?

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Pretty silly if you ask me. Every year people are at risk for the flu here. Media is hyping this up big time. Basically the flu with a bit more respiratory symptoms. Ugh was lookin forward to this
Agreed on this one. They need to just post pone the arnold to the summer, if the coronavirus passes by then.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
1/2 the folks going to the Arnolds have already arrived in Columbus. 1000's are in transit and 1000's cannot get any refund whatsoever on plane and hotel tickets - so they are going to Columbus. What is the difference in virus transmission if 3/4 of the folks show up to Columbus, but don't go to the Expo? Unless they kick people out of the city and stop people at the airport(s), they have done nothing. This announcement needed to come at least a week ago to have impact.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Agreed on this one. They need to just post pone the arnold to the summer, if the coronavirus passes by then.
Really can’t do that, athletes have been working for this weekend and are dialed in.

Last edited:
TommyTuffGuy

TommyTuffGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
They better not do this with WrestleMania, I'm going (again) this year!!!

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Never been to an Arnold. Never really had much interest. From what I hear, big brands like ON, BSN, and Bang were not going this year anyways. I wonder how long this event will last. Just from what I hear from people.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Over a 1000 vendors and 250k folks were expected at the Expo. Why would big brands not be doing the Arnold this year?

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Honestly, I think it's ridiculous to cancel the expo but I'm guessing for liability issues, they have to do it. Imagine, one person does get sick, he/she will sue the organizers for every penny for ignoring the CDC warning of having large gatherings.

By the way, if the coronavirus remains an issue, will they cancel gatherings for the US elections/debates etc? Makes you wonder....

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Honestly, I think it's ridiculous to cancel the expo but I'm guessing for liability issues, they have to do it. Imagine, one person does get sick, he/she will sue the organizers for every penny for ignoring the CDC warning of having large gatherings.

By the way, if the coronavirus remains an issue, will they cancel gatherings for the US elections/debates etc? Makes you wonder....
i hope not... maybe they will all catch it and natural selection will take care of the rest haha

jameschoi

jameschoi

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Just have them sign a waiver saying if they get the virus the expo assumes no liability/can't be sued if you die...blah blah blah.

The Solution

The Solution

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Because it very expensive and not really worth the time.
People do not make money putting up booths. Most consumers don’t realize that.

You sell products at breakeven (if lucky)
Pay for athletes
Pay for their hotels
Pay for their food
Pay for their travel
Setup/Takedown
Daily cleaning
etc…

If you add up all the expenses its a massive loss for most companies.

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
You put up booths for exposure - not the make money lol.
Its a marketing opportunity that comes once a year (biggest fitness show in North America).
Not being their means your a 'has been' and 'irrelevant' in the industry.
Its about giving away free stuff or near free t-shirts and other promotional products.
For example, Reign must have given away two transport loads of drinks at last years Worlds Strongest Man.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You put up booths for exposure - not the make money lol.
Its a marketing opportunity that comes once a year (biggest fitness show in North America).
Not being their means your a 'has been' and 'irrelevant' in the industry.
Its about giving away free stuff or near free t-shirts and other promotional products.
For example, Reign must have given away two transport loads of drinks at last years Worlds Strongest Man.
Has been, irrelevant ? Ya thats why all these companies are not going. These expos have become a joke is the real truth. On, Ben, bang are not going out of business anytime soon.

Last edited:
The Express 42

The Express 42

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just feel bad for the bros that all this time planned their cycle around the expo so they could walk around in tanks.
Yes! Me hahaha

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Has been, irrelevant ? Ya thats why all these companies are not going. These expos have become a joke is the real truth. On, Ben, bang are not going out of business anytime soon.
Define 'a joke'.
(From a marketing perspective), how has it become a joke?
Are you saying its ineffective in someway? If so, how? What has changed?
Why are 100's and 100's of other companies just as big, if not bigger, still doing massive expos like this? 1000 +vendors at the Arnolds alone.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Define 'a joke'.
(From a marketing perspective), how has it become a joke?
Are you saying its ineffective in someway? If so, how? What has changed?
Why are 100's and 100's of other companies just as big, if not bigger, still doing massive expos like this? 1000 +vendors at the Arnolds alone.
We’re not discussing a study. Tell me more how a company is irrelevant if they don’t go to the Arnold? Bang going out of business? I mean look at all the upset people in this thread who are going to miss it, I think like 6.

Last edited:
Jiigzz

Jiigzz

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • First Up Vote
Flu has a relatively low mortality rate compared to coronavirus so far. It is exceptionally deadly among the more vulnerable. At the moment I think the global average mortality rate is 3%, whereas the flu is 0.1 or less mortality.

rugger48

rugger48

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I’d be curious how many of the supplement companies here are going?

Ptlhains

Ptlhains

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
We’re not discussing a study. Tell me more how a company is irrelevant if they don’t go to the Arnold? Bang going out of business? I mean look at all the upset people in this thread who are going to miss it, I think like 6.
Your a smart fella.

djbombsquad

djbombsquad

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
IMG_0195.JPG
my show got canceled too

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Really can’t do that, athletes have been working for this weekend and are dialed in.
Maybe just the expo part of it delay that til the summer. I thought I heard they are still moving forward with the competitions but just no expo?

Darkhorse192

Darkhorse192

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Lorimer released a video last night saying the expo was still off, but they were going to allow fans at all of the sporting events, however, now the state gov of Ohio is threatening a lawsuit against the Arnold enterprise if they allow fans at sports events because that is not was agreed on.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
Flu has a relatively low mortality rate compared to coronavirus so far. It is exceptionally deadly among the more vulnerable. At the moment I think the global average mortality rate is 3%, whereas the flu is 0.1 or less mortality.
While I get this, the sample sizes are so dramatically different at this point that it explains much of the discrepancy... Now, if it continues at that rate, then yes, it becomes scarier, but saying the mortality rate is 3% when you're talking thousands of cases vs .1% of BILLIONS is still a dramatic difference.

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
While I get this, the sample sizes are so dramatically different at this point that it explains much of the discrepancy... Now, if it continues at that rate, then yes, it becomes scarier, but saying the mortality rate is 3% when you're talking thousands of cases vs .1% of BILLIONS is still a dramatic difference.
I know you are quoting someone but in relation to that quote James Krieger posted this and I think it can help alleviate some concerns for people looking at statistics. This isn't to say we shouldn't care or take precautions but just to temper some of the worry:
For people quoting 3%+ death rates...that's for confirmed hospitalized cases.

It doesn't mean 3% of people with COVID19 die. There are likely thousands of people who got it who were asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic and recovered on their own. Thus, they weren't hospitalized and aren't included in the denominator of the percentage. The *true* death rate is likely much, much lower....probably much less than 1%.

For people comparing the 3% rate to the quoted 0.1% rate for influenza, the 0.1% rate for influenza is based on ALL cases, including estimated numbers of people who get it, recover, and are never hospitalized.

If you want to look at just hospitalized cases for influenza, CDC estimates there's about 500K cases of influenza that require hospitalization. Death rate is about 40K per year. That's 8%!!!!

But it doesn't mean that 8% of the people die from the flu. Once you include everyone that gets the flu (non-hospitalized), the rate goes down to 0.1%.

booneman77

booneman77

Legend
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
I know you are quoting someone but in relation to that quote James Krieger posted this and I think it can help alleviate some concerns for people looking at statistics. This isn't to say we shouldn't care or take precautions but just to temper some of the worry:
awesome quote and exactly what I'm thinking... those %'s are just another of the hype factors I've seen.

Is it dangerous? Yes
Is it overblown? Absolutely

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yep that quote clearly explains it. I heard this same thing. People hear a number and run with it when they may not be looking at the whole picture as the quote explains.

N2ofusion

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, but in general, even if it’s vastly overhyped, it’s still no reason to ignore common sense health practices. I think it’s great that doctors offices near me are asking coughing patients to wear masks. My company installed self-disinfecting door handles everywhere. Airlines are improving cabin filtration

Hope that becomes permanent long after Covid-19 Settles down.

LeanEngineer

LeanEngineer

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Airlines are improving cabin filtration

Hope that becomes permanent long after Covid-19 Settles down.
Agreed on that. The self disinfecting door handles is a good idea. Wish my work would do that!