Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
indoor tennis is by appointment, you need to reserve court time. same principle I assume?
Sounds about right. I'd imagine it may be a little harder to track at the gym, since I'd think tennis you'd be on one court, and it'd be easy to kick you out when your time/game is done/over, but in the gym, it may be harder to find someone after their time is up if they don't leave on their own. Maybe have one of those little things they give you when you're waiting for a table at a restaurant? And it'll beep and flash loud when your time is up, so someone knows and you don't try to stay too long?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Sounds about right. I'd imagine it may be a little harder to track at the gym, since I'd think tennis you'd be on one court, and it'd be easy to kick you out when your time/game is done/over, but in the gym, it may be harder to find someone after their time is up if they don't leave on their own. Maybe have one of those little things they give you when you're waiting for a table at a restaurant? And it'll beep and flash loud when your time is up, so someone knows and you don't try to stay too long?
reserve time by the hour, once hour is up everyone goes...next!!! that's the way it is with reserving tennis courts, they give you a reserved hour, if you are late tough tittie. kinda like a movie theater.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Yeah, I've been thinking about this and just don't know how this could work. How can you get people to leave by a certain time? And what will that time limit be? 1 hour? And even if you have just 25 people in a gym, how can you tell them to stay 6-feet away at all times? This whole thing has the makings of being ridiculous and a total cluster.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, I've been thinking about this and just don't know how this could work. How can you get people to leave by a certain time? And what will that time limit be? 1 hour? And even if you have just 25 people in a gym, how can you tell them to stay 6-feet away at all times? This whole thing has the makings of being ridiculous and a total cluster.
reserve the right to cancel membership if can't follow rules...always a few assclowns everyone else is happy to see go anyways, imo.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
And you're also going to get people bitching that they can't get in at the only time they can make the gym (because it's booked) but yet still have to pay their monthly dues. These are all points that must be considered. I don't think this idea could work for a bunch of reasons.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Good question. I wonder if they' implement time limits if the demand and customer base far exceeds allowable capacity. If only a few people can be in a given area/gym at once, it's not fair if some a** sits there for four hours. I doubt anyone would want to implement or deal with an online system, but perhaps you'd have to "check in" online for an "appointment/window" you could workout in, and it'd have a given capacity allowed, and you could reserve a spot for an hour or two, or something like that. No idea if that's doable, or reasonable, just thinking out loud here. No idea what the timeframe will be here either. When gyms will open, what restrictions they will have when they open, etc.
Well I just don’t see how they are going to practice social distancing at La Fitness with the machines literally like 2 to 3 feet apart. I think the gyms are going to suffer when they open. Many folks will be afraid to go back due to fear of the virus and others only have a coupe hours window from like 5pm to 7pm after work to work out so many people won’t be able to work out because they won’t be able to let everyone in at prime time.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
The solution here is to open gyms back to all members. Don't have bookings or a number of people that can only go in at a certain time. It's the gym owners responsibility to sanitize. It's the members responsibility to clean equipment after use and use proper hygiene. No guest passes should be allowed. This is really what it should be.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
reserve the right to cancel membership if can't follow rules...always a few assclowns everyone else is happy to see go anyways, imo.
Ok but now if you're going to cancel memberships, you're losing money.

And geez, if I only got an hour and have to take a dump, I am losing precious time while being on the clock lol

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ok but now if you're going to cancel memberships, you're losing money.

And geez, if I only got an hour and have to take a dump, I am losing precious time while being on the clock lol
weeding out troublemakers is generally good for business...your on your own with the dump, lol.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Something like this time limit conspiracy will never fly. ...Whose gonna kick out a huge bro flyin on pre, that’s been caged up in quarantine...

Members aren’t gonna pay the same price to be squeezed in and rushed out...on some “appointment only” bs

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Something like this time limit conspiracy will never fly. ...Whose gonna kick out a huge bro flyin on pre, that’s been caged up in quarantine...

Members aren’t gonna pay the same price to be squeezed in and rushed out...on some “appointment only” bs
I mean, they could charge less I suppose, but I don’t see that happening. Not sure how it’s a “conspiracy” though...

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They sent me an email on the 3rd that there was a payment problem with my account, so I just called that a win if they can’t collect lol.
I’m going to call my bank and tell them that I did not receive any services and to have them refund my money. This is bs!! And they also raised my dues.

puccah8808

puccah8808

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
They sent me an email on the 3rd that there was a payment problem with my account, so I just called that a win if they can’t collect lol.
I’m going to call my bank and tell them that I did not receive any services and to have them refund my money. This is bs!! And they also raised my dues.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I'm wondering how gyms might have to regulate allowing how many people are in at a given time. Not sure how this could work. Imagine taking your pre-workout on your way to the gym only finding when you get there you need to wait in a line to get in. WTF!
Set up a big tent with benches and squat racks 🤷‍♂️. Charge others to train while they wait in line. Like waiting for concert tickets

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Dr. Phil dropping some truth
Isn’t Dr. Phil not even licensed? Again, anyone comparing COVID to car accidents has a fundamental misunderstanding of the spread of infectious diseases...
E7F77AA8-9123-43CD-B982-92A4798CE4D6-10980-00000D8C96208274.JPG

Edit: and he’s talking about loneliness being associated with increased coronary artery disease. That’s LONG term correlations. Being lonely for even a few months is NOT going to give people coronary artery disease. He’s being intentionally misleading with “statistics.” It’s one thing to claim that some people will commit suicide and/or even starve, and that is terrible, and should try to be minimized for sure, but to claim that lockdown for a month or two will lead to a significant increase in coronary artery disease is asinine, and entirely unsubstantiated...

Last edited:
thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

the times they be a changin....people are going to have to adapt, just like my generation has had to adapt to changing technology.

there is a distinct possiblility we may never go back to way things were before, you either adapt or you lose out.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Isn’t Dr. Phil not even licensed? Again, anyone comparing COVID to car accidents has a fundamental misunderstanding of the spread of infectious diseases...
View attachment 193210

Edit: and he’s talking about loneliness being associated with increased coronary artery disease. That’s LONG term correlations. Being lonely for even a few months is NOT going to give people coronary artery disease. He’s being intentionally misleading with “statistics.” It’s one thing to claim that some people will commit suicide and/or even starve, and that is terrible, and should try to be minimized for sure, but to claim that lockdown for a month or two will lead to a significant increase in coronary artery disease is asinine, and entirely unsubstantiated...
In an ironic twist, this isolation has made me realize that being around other people is going to give me CVD. Other dumbazz muthafarkers give me high blood pressure, increased heart rate, elevated cortisol.

I don't know what everyone is complaining about here. We should have done this decades ago.

If you want to see what conspiracy has been uncovered here - it's the travel industry. People pay thousands of dollars JUST to get away from people. You could have been doing this all along, for free.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
the times they be a changin....people are going to have to adapt, just like my generation has had to adapt to changing technology.

there is a distinct possiblility we may never go back to way things were before, you either adapt or you lose out.
Wait...you used a word I am not familiar with,...adapt?? Is that like, when I ignore everything going on around me and wait for everything to change to suit my needs?

Because we got an awful lot of people so unwilling to adapt that they are still in denial about the world changing around them and blaming the government for "causing" this unnecessary shut down.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Wait...you used a word I am not familiar with,...adapt?? Is that like, when I ignore everything going on around me and wait for everything to change to suit my needs?

Because we got an awful lot of people so unwilling to adapt that they are still in denial about the world changing around them and blaming the government for "causing" this unnecessary shut down.
brilliant post!!!

lol, my generation has been struggling to adapt to changes from technology, the young people always give us a hard time---now it looks like shoe is on other foot!!!

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
speaking of adapting...kinda weird to put a mask on and go to bank and ask for money, lol.
Isnt that sad, eh? Going to the bank and asking for the money YOU earned?

Having someone else decide if you are elligible to acquire YOUR OWN money and in what amount.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
MASK...BANK...ASKING FOR MONEY....geez.
It kind of lost the effect when you had to break it down like that.

I could be wrong, but I believe some states have laws against wearing a mask into a bank. Hmmm...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I haven’t been inside a bank in years. All online. Everything. Geezers. Lol. :p
thanks for the compliment...the life I was leading 22 years ago I never thought I would live to be this old, every day is a blessing!!!

may you live long enough to be called whatever they call older people by that time.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
thanks for the compliment...the life I was leading 22 years ago I never thought I would live to be this old, every day is a blessing!!!

may you live long enough to be called whatever they call older people by that time.
Some old people are old for a reason.

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
MASK...BANK...ASKING FOR MONEY....geez.
I know what you meant...geez

i wanted to use the opportunity to express my frustration with the banking system and having them be the middle man between me and my money.

Why cant i get paid in cash? Wait...I can. I get paid in cash when i sell stuff without my government's knowledge 😈

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I know what you meant...geez

i wanted to use the opportunity to express my frustration with the banking system and having them be the middle man between me and my money.

Why cant i get paid in cash? Wait...I can. I get paid in cash when i sell stuff without my government's knowledge 😈
you do know the vast majority of people get caught doing illegal stuff by bragging about it on internet, right?

lol

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
In an ironic twist, this isolation has made me realize that being around other people is going to give me CVD. Other dumbazz muthafarkers give me high blood pressure, increased heart rate, elevated cortisol.

I don't know what everyone is complaining about here. We should have done this decades ago.

If you want to see what conspiracy has been uncovered here - it's the travel industry. People pay thousands of dollars JUST to get away from people. You could have been doing this all along, for free.
My hope with this is that the father/husband type that drinks beer and watches sports all day while missing his kids growing up and life going on around him gets his act together and realizes what actually matters...and it’s not that his 22 year old idol missed that winning touchdown. There are a lot of things that families could benefit from from this stay at home order. My family is making the most of it. There may be hardships and awful things going on as well, but we still have a choice about what we do with what we have. Are we going to play the hand we’re dealt or just fold?

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
My hope with this is that the father/husband type that drinks beer and watches sports all day while missing his kids growing up and life going on around him gets his act together and realizes what actually matters...and it’s not that his 22 year old idol missed that winning touchdown. There are a lot of things that families could benefit from from this stay at home order. My family is making the most of it. There may be hardships and awful things going on as well, but we still have a choice about what we do with what we have. Are we going to play the hand we’re dealt or just fold?
everything happens for a reason...glad your family is making the most of it!!!

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
everything happens for a reason...glad your family is making the most of it!!!

God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Yessir! Love that Serenity Prayer!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Well...a mouse and a keyboard i didnt need any longer.

you think i would brag about it if it was illegal?
a whole lot of fools do...just sayin

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yessir! Love that Serenity Prayer!
it has been a game changer in my life...nearly EVERYONE I grew up with is either dead or locked up, and have been for quite a while now. I feel truly blessed in my 22nd year of sobriety.

drug abuse and alcoholism was the pandemic of my youth back in the 70's, i've lost a lot of friends and people i grew up with to it.

Last edited:
Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Good question. I wonder if they' implement time limits if the demand and customer base far exceeds allowable capacity. If only a few people can be in a given area/gym at once, it's not fair if some a** sits there for four hours. I doubt anyone would want to implement or deal with an online system, but perhaps you'd have to "check in" online for an "appointment/window" you could workout in, and it'd have a given capacity allowed, and you could reserve a spot for an hour or two, or something like that. No idea if that's doable, or reasonable, just thinking out loud here. No idea what the timeframe will be here either. When gyms will open, what restrictions they will have when they open, etc.
ive actually been thinking about this as It’ll affect my gyms. It’s virtually impossible to wipe everything down after anyone has touched it (think how many weight plates, bars, handles and machine sides you’d touch on one exercise!)

I think limited numbers is the most likely which actually isn’t the worst for us as one of mine is a pure personal training studio but it’s 3,000 square ft so relatively big for the numbers we would have in.

but yeah, booking a time slot of which there is a limited number is the most likely outcome imo (assuming there will be some sort of restrictions which no one is suggesting their won’t really)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ive actually been thinking about this as It’ll affect my gyms. It’s virtually impossible to wipe everything down after anyone has touched it (think how many weight plates, bars, handles and machine sides you’d touch on one exercise!)

I think limited numbers is the most likely which actually isn’t the worst for us as one of mine is a pure personal training studio but it’s 3,000 square ft so relatively big for the numbers we would have in.

but yeah, booking a time slot of which there is a limited number is the most likely outcome imo (assuming there will be some sort of restrictions which no one is suggesting their won’t really)
it is feasible to do this with gyms...places like movie theaters I have no answer for since they depend on max occupancy to make profit---maybe start paying movie stars by the thousands instead of millions, I like this idea...I like this idea for professional athletes also.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Booking a time slot is just dumb and I foresee a lot of issues with that. My idea would be this:

1.) No guests. Only members.
2.) No kids club.
3.) No senior classes.
4.) Actually, NO classes in general.
5.) Just use common sense. Try to stay away from people if possible. Use social distancing. Wipe off equipment after use. If you feel like you're getting sick, stay away from the gym.

Really this is the only way it makes sense. Gym owners need to properly sanitize daily. Gym members need to follow proper protocols.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Booking a time slot is just dumb and I foresee a lot of issues with that. My idea would be this:

1.) No guests. Only members.
2.) No kids club.
3.) No senior classes.
4.) Actually, NO classes in general.
5.) Just use common sense. Try to stay away from people if possible. Use social distancing. Wipe off equipment after use. If you feel like you're getting sick, stay away from the gym.

Really this is the only way it makes sense. Gym owners need to properly sanitize daily. Gym members need to follow proper protocols.
I know of several smaller gyms that have operated this way for decades, but membership is very expensive.

most of them have 'back iron' in name of gym.

BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I know of several smaller gyms that have operated this way for decades, but membership is very expensive.

most of them have 'back iron' in name of gym.
Those outlines I made are obviously just temporary. I understand classes are a source of revenue and so are guests.

GreenMachineX

GreenMachineX

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
it has been a game changer in my life...nearly EVERYONE I grew up with is either dead or locked up, and have been for quite a while now. I feel truly blessed in my 22nd year of sobriety.

drug abuse and alcoholism was the pandemic of my youth back in the 70's, i've lost a lot of friends and people i grew up with to it.
Absolutely. Going on 10 years clean and sober here. I remember a member a long time ago around here saying “the future is so bright, I have to wear shades!” and he was so right!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Those outlines I made are obviously just temporary. I understand classes are a source of revenue and so are guests.
some people are willing to pay for exclusivity of smaller gyms that cater to hardcore lifters. and there are several out there that meet your guidelines, if you are willing to pay the price.

I used to be a member of 'leo's black iron gym' until I moved and invested in my basement gym. too much bs to put up with at the fitness planet style gyms that are popular today because of being cheap, imo.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Absolutely. Going on 10 years clean and sober here. I remember a member a long time ago around here saying “the future is so bright, I have to wear shades!” and he was so right!
congratulations!!!

I have zero temptation to go back to the dark place I was at in my life while drinking, and God willing I never will!!!