Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Guys on here were saying thia was a little low...I'm confused

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Lol so is mine good or what? You got me concerned now @thebigt

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Guys on here were saying thia was a little low...I'm confused
me too...I've always depended on the VA for being reliable. I will bring this to their attention!!!

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Lol so is mine good or what? You got me concerned now @thebigt
google vitd, I am seeing 80 as optimal at one place, but after being wrong once I aint gonna get biten again.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My Vitamin D was recently 47ng/mL...so your saying this is pushing it?

The listed lab range is 30-100.
47 nmol/ml is maybe on the low side but OK. Given they gave a range of 30-100 I am guessing you got a measurement given in nmol/ml.

47 ng/ml is about 110 or more nmol/ml. And is high. The lab range for this is usually like like 12-50 or something around there.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
47 nmol/ml is maybe on the low side but OK. Given they gave a range of 30-100 I am guessing you got a measurement given in nmol/ml.

47 ng/ml is about 110 or more nmol/ml. And is high. The lab range for this is usually like like 12-50 or something around there.
Wow...I actually upped my dose too thinking this was low

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
The lab range was 30 to 100

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ok, so I am sure there is debate over this. Most typical American Dr.s will want it below 40 or 50 ng/ml.

There are some sites showing up to 100 is probably fine. I would not worry.

It may actually be ME that got my wires crossed. I saw a study showing that at around 110 the incidence if heart attack and stroke increases and I thought it was measured in nmol - it may have been ng. I will have to double check! I may have mispoken...

Where did you get your labs that wants it to be 30-100? Wherever you are they may be ahead if the curve. I will double check later tonight

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Ok, so I am sure there is debate over this. Most typical American Dr.s will want it below 40 or 50 ng/ml.

It may actually be ME that got my wires crossed. I saw a study showing that at around 110 the incidence if heart attack and stroke increases and I thought it was measured in nmol - it may have been ng. I will have to double check! I may have mispoken...

Where did you get your labs that wants it to be 30-100? Wherever you are they may be ahead if the curve. I will double check later tonight
Ultalabtests.com

They are legit.

Even the bloodwork done by my doctor for Vitamin D was measured in ng/ml....

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

don't feel lonely...the VA has reference range that over 50ng/ml is high. my 66.660 was red flagged as high.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
don't feel lonely...the VA has reference range that over 50ng/ml is high. my 66.660 was red flagged as high.
That's why we are all here for each other BigT haha

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Ultalabtests.com

They are legit.

Even the bloodwork done by my doctor for Vitamin D was measured in ng/ml....
Yeah, I have thought about using them. They just send you to quest or labcorp, right?

So, I KNOW after my dad had his stroke I was researching Vitamin D and found a study in the UK that said over 110 or something and cvd and stroke risk increased. But I cannot find it for the life of me right now.

I am guessing it IS ng and you are right. I wouldn't freak at 47 though. All cause mortality and specific cause mortality is reduced at around 30 ng so you are pretty safe.

I read this Harvard entry expecting them to suggest a low number too, but they actually suggest 40-60 ng/ml it looks like. If stroke is increased at 110 ng then I would say even at 80-90 you have some safety.

Yeah, this is where a lot of doctors cut off...but doctors are notorious for being skeptical of vitamins actually being of much benefit beyond deficiency.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yeah, this is where a lot of doctors cut off...but doctors are notorious for being skeptical of vitamins actually being of much benefit beyond deficiency.
[/QUOTE]

especially government doctors, lol.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Yeah, I have thought about using them. They just send you to quest or labcorp, right?

So, I KNOW after my dad had his stroke I was researching Vitamin D and found a study in the UK that said over 110 or something and cvd and stroke risk increased. But I cannot find it for the life of me right now.

I am guessing it IS ng and you are right. I wouldn't freak at 47 though. All cause mortality and specific cause mortality is reduced at around 30 ng so you are pretty safe.

I read this Harvard entry expecting them to suggest a low number too, but they actually suggest 40-60 ng/ml it looks like. If stroke is increased at 110 ng then I would say even at 80-90 you have some safety.

Most definitely...when i was low on Vitamin D (27ng/ml), my doctor put me on 2000iu D3, which BARELY brought me into range...smh

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Most definitely...when i was low on Vitamin D (27ng/ml), my doctor put me on 2000iu D3, which BARELY brought me into range...smh
Yeah, I think eventually more doctors will be recommending 5-10k iu per day with 5 being the minimum more often.

Like thebigt I had my dad on 20,000 iu after his stroke about 6 months later he was at 79 ng/ml and I dropped him down to 10k.

I take 10k a day but never have my blood tested. I have some good effects on mood and energy at this dose.

Rocket3015

Rocket3015

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
When I first read this question back in February, I thought "What a stupid question" but here we are !!

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
When I first read this question back in February, I thought "What a stupid question" but here we are !!
Some of the European countries that are looking at easing restrictions aren’t letting them open in the first instance.

most places are focusing on normal retail and businesses.

unfortunately gyms are harder to socially distance and by default people have to touch things. It’s virtually impossible to wipe down everything are anyone has used it (even members trying to be decent will miss stuff and it’s not the typical wipe down a seat that’s needed. It’s every bar, weight plate, handle or dB that’s been touched!)

the droplet spread is also more likely to be a problem in places where heavy breathing is normal.

my gyms are personal training or pure class based so more possible to limit numbers but can you imagine if they do that at a normal gym - you end up queuing for an hour just to get in.....

Weirdly what I don’t want is to be allowed to open only to have to close a month or so later. We spend a lot on advertising so that would kill us.

my personal view early on and it’s still the same was 3 months at least from closure to open....

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
24 hour fitness just took at monthly dues...wtf....

Anyone else a member with them?

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Wow. Screw them. Go on your bank site. Dispute. Done.

Also this. Under. WTF

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar

Alan1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
24 hour fitness just took at monthly dues...wtf....

Anyone else a member with them?
I just looked back at the email they sent out to members April 1, and it states:

"Based on current public health projections, it appears our clubs may need to be closed for an extended period of time. As such, we will suspend all membership billings, including billings for any additional services and fees, effective April 16, if we are unable to reopen clubs by that time in your area."

I'm glad they received backlash on the continued billing, and I took them up on the offer to cancel my membership (from that same email). This isn't the first time they've proven themselves to have poor business practices.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I just looked back at the email they sent out to members April 1, and it states:

"Based on current public health projections, it appears our clubs may need to be closed for an extended period of time. As such, we will suspend all membership billings, including billings for any additional services and fees, effective April 16, if we are unable to reopen clubs by that time in your area."

I'm glad they received backlash on the continued billing, and I took them up on the offer to cancel my membership (from that same email). This isn't the first time they've proven themselves to have poor business practices.
I agree. I probably wont be going back to a commercial gym once this thing clears.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
I agree. I probably wont be going back to a commercial gym once this thing clears.
a lot of people won’t. In the uk so many people have set up home gyms (spending thousands in some cases). In reality why would you go back after doing that.

personally I’m fortunate that my places are private studios, personal training or hiit classes. Not stuff that can be replicated at home although we are seeing several clients who are training more at home via video calls than they did at the gym and they might carry on doing that.

I think the big corporate gyms might suffer after this.....

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
a lot of people won’t. In the uk so many people have set up home gyms (spending thousands in some cases). In reality why would you go back after doing that.

personally I’m fortunate that my places are private studios, personal training or hiit classes. Not stuff that can be replicated at home although we are seeing several clients who are training more at home via video calls than they did at the gym and they might carry on doing that.

I think the big corporate gyms might suffer after this.....
and tanning salons, hair and nail places, bars, restaurants, what about movie theaters and concerts......the list of businesses that will suffer is very long.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
on a side note...liquor sales are way up, almost as much as domestic abuse--my prediction--both will continue to rise the longer 'stay at home' is in affect.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
and tanning salons, hair and nail places, bars, restaurants, what about movie theaters and concerts......the list of businesses that will suffer is very long.
I agree those businesses that will suffer why the virus is an issue but ultimately at least for those places people can’t easily switch to ‘doing it at home’ (movie theatres may be different if people invest in projectors etc).

in reality there is very little difference between training at home and in a gym when you have a decent home set up.....its actually quicker and easier. No ‘peak’ times etc

just think gyms will come off worse than most

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I agree those businesses that will suffer why the virus is an issue but ultimately at least for those places people can’t easily switch to ‘doing it at home’ (movie theatres may be different if people invest in projectors etc).

in reality there is very little difference between training at home and in a gym when you have a decent home set up.....its actually quicker and easier. No ‘peak’ times etc

just think gyms will come off worse than most
lol...my wife has several married friends who are having to learn how to cook for the 1st time--they keep calling her asking for advice.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
lol...my wife has several married friends who are having to learn how to cook for the 1st time--they keep calling her asking for advice.
Lmao

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Now is a perfect time to learn to cook I suppose. I know not having enough time to cook, and to learn to cook, is why a lot of people claim they never learned to cook. So with more time on their hands, that's one less excuse, and since restaurants aren't open for dine-in, and a lot are closed period, people still want to eat things besides microwave meals.

The real question is how many people will keep some of these "good habits" once things return to "normal." People who start exercising and cooking now, when they have to go back to work and don't have as much "free time," will they keep exercising and cooking? Hopefully at least a little bit, if not the full amount that they do in quarantine when time ins't a factor. Silver lining maybe?

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Not seeing gyms opening anytime soon? I believe some of these smaller gyms might not be able to bounce back after another month or 2.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Not seeing gyms opening anytime soon? I believe some of these smaller gyms might not be able to bounce back after another month or 2.
Well, I just heard the quarantine has been extended to May 15th....

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Well, I just heard the quarantine has been extended to May 15th....
And IMO places like gyms won’t open up several weeks after we are all back to work. I think places like gym / movies etc will take months to open back up.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Yeah not looking good, only normalcy would be a vaccine being created.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well, I worked with my COVIDs yesterday after being off for 2 days.

By the end of my shift, we were down from our 6 vented patients to 4. We are finally getting these people off! One of which was the 60 year old man with CHF and diabetes who failed his first extubation. He was actually extubated (again) 3 days ago and isn’t requiring a significant amount of oxygen. This guy was a fighter!

Incidentally, I also discovered that my hospital started administering the Tocilizumab biologic injections to many - or possibly all of my ICU COVIDs.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I doubt gyms will open May 1 even if some business get to open, but if they do, I agree, I will be waiting at least a month after that to
go back to the gym. I think gyms are going to be hard hit by this for several reasons-People afraid to go back and other people who use to go purchased gym equipment for a home gym and will decide to safe time and money and work out from home.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Add to that list of business that will take a hit after the economy opens hotels, cruise businesses, airlines, and sporting/concert events. Many will be afraid to go back and won’t till there is a vaccine. I purchased tickets to the Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Poison, Joan Jett stadium tour that went on sale before this all happened to resell online for a profit. The concert is set to start in July. I sure hope they cancel it now so I get my money back otherwise I will probably lose my as$ on the resale value. If I had extra money laying around right now I would buy airline and cruise ship stock. Government will probably bail both those industries out and eventually when this is all over (whenever that is) those stocks are going to go back up.

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
What does that even mean man?
its obvious that we have lost control when the democrat governors closed down the seaboard states and more or less forcing the country to react over a FLU... that's less deadly than … the FLU

do the math for your self. this is nothing more than a power grab. IMO probably in an effort to keep biden from havin g to debate trump

current worldwide numbers still show a less than 1% mortality rate FFS. wake up.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Well, I worked with my COVIDs yesterday after being off for 2 days.

By the end of my shift, we were down from our 6 vented patients to 4. We are finally getting these people off! One of which was the 60 year old man with CHF and diabetes who failed his first extubation. He was actually extubated (again) 3 days ago and isn’t requiring a significant amount of oxygen. This guy was a fighter!

Incidentally, I also discovered that my hospital started administering the Tocilizumab biologic injections to many - or possibly all of my ICU COVIDs.
Good to hear some patients are recovering! You medical workers are true heroes in this time! Very comparable to our troops during war time who keep us safe. Is your intake rate of new COVID-19 new patients also dropping down to I hope?

xR1pp3Rx

xR1pp3Rx

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
flattening the curve is widening it.. there needs to be a herd immunization to kill this **** off \ **** vaccines and waiting on the governors to reopen sh17.. would you believe they will let you go boating here but don't you dare pick up a fishing rod!! don't feed yourself I guess. if we don't stand up, there will be bread lines, mark my words. they are already discussing black outs for shopping here.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
The mortality rate world wide is 6.2%
In the USA it is 3.95% or 4.0% if you round up.

The seasonal flu is .1% yearly worldwide.
20,000 people died in a month from Covid-19

There is a second wave in China and South Korea.
The Spanish Flu had 3 waves.
This thing is not going away soon, and the reason it could be as bad as The Spanish Flu is, if we ignore history.

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
flattening the curve is widening it.. there needs to be a herd immunization to kill this **** off \ **** vaccines and waiting on the governors to reopen sh17.. would you believe they will let you go boating here but don't you dare pick up a fishing rod!! don't feed yourself I guess. if we don't stand up, there will be bread lines, mark my words. they are already discussing black outs for shopping here.
You end up finishing your cycle while all this broke out or did you quit? (I remember you were on right around the time things got crazy). I just started one on Friday. I literally only go outside for walks so I am not too concerned about lowering my immune system and catching the virus. If I do start showing symptoms of getting sick I will of course quit right away. Just had to do something while being “locked down” to prevent from going out of my mind due to depression from all this and overwhelming boredom that is settling in.

Last edited: