Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This is my theory. Tell me If I am wrong. I feel that we are basically testing how long the worldwide economy can hold out in this quarantine. After that time ends, and I have no clue how long that is, the disease will blow up again. I don't believe the spread of this disease can be stopped and I don't think anybody else does either. It seems to me to be common sense that the curve can be flattened only so long as people can stay home, which clearly isn't forever.

The question I am struggling with right now is, will the disease blow up exactly like it would have after the curfews end? Care to comment? If the answer is yes, then I am worried the quarantine will do more bad than good. Like I said previously, in this case, the only merit of the quarantine would have been additional time provided for more makeshift medical facilities, which is ongoing across the world. That would be cool. So I guess that does justify the quarantine. Maybe we will end up having cyclical shut downs- start up, disease blows up, shut down, repeat. That's probably extremely impractical.

To be honest with you right now, I am more afraid of an economic collapse than the disease. That's not just because I am young. Some young people have died from the disease as well, I am not invincible. It's just, I don't want to frickin starve.
Also, If you are worried about some loved one, isolate them, for such a time when the quarantine ends.
I am always for questioning assumptions and this post does that. It is good to question common accepted thoughts.

I think you COULD be right. But a few things could happen. With social distancing that need to be accounted for:

1. I believe the following is possible: this is a novel virus. It needs to replicate in a living organism in order to "survive". If it is not allowed to infect anything, it could die off and be gone. This is unlikely since it would mean we would have to reach a point where no living humans at all are infected and any other animals it could potentially infect.

2. The warm weather could effect it and it could die off (again wishful thinking)

3. We could discover improved treatment for the disease - vaccines, protections, treatments that reduce mortality rates. This is the most likely solution, IMO. If we get a vaccine, this becomes a MUCH less impactful issue. If we reduce the mortality rate, rates if infection, etc. - this becomes much less if an issue.

All of these outcomes require time, and the lack of social distancing will reduce time and increase deaths immediately. We have run multiple tests now to prove this. China was locked down. Italy, less so and the results were far more devastating. The US is following a similar curve...less adherence and rapidly increasing effects.

But, questioning where the line is, is intelligent. Trump said it himself I believe - the cure cannot be worse than the disease. Short term, I think this makes sense. And we may have to go into cycles of work and quarantine until we figure out a better treatment.

As far as questioning norms - it seems appropriate here to mention Ignaz Samelweiss during this time. He questioned norms and was ridiculed heavily for it. And all we hear during this epidemic is the advice he pioneered.

Renew1

Renew1

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I am always for questioning assumptions and this post does that. It is good to question common accepted thoughts.

I think you COULD be right. But a few things could happen. With social distancing that need to be accounted for:

1. I believe the following is possible: this is a novel virus. It needs to replicate in a living organism in order to "survive". If it is not allowed to infect anything, it could die off and be gone. This is unlikely since it would mean we would have to reach a point where no living humans at all are infected and any other animals it could potentially infect.

2. The warm weather could effect it and it could die off (again wishful thinking)

3. We could discover improved treatment for the disease - vaccines, protections, treatments that reduce mortality rates. This is the most likely solution, IMO. If we get a vaccine, this becomes a MUCH less impactful issue. If we reduce the mortality rate, rates if infection, etc. - this becomes much less if an issue.

All of these outcomes require time, and the lack of social distancing will reduce time and increase deaths immediately. We have run multiple tests now to prove this. China was locked down. Italy, less so and the results were far more devastating. The US is following a similar curve...less adherence and rapidly increasing effects.

But, questioning where the line is, is intelligent. Trump said it himself I believe - the cure cannot be worse than the disease. Short term, I think this makes sense. And we may have to go into cycles of work and quarantine until we figure out a better treatment.

As far as questioning norms - it seems appropriate here to mention Ignaz Samelweiss during this time. He questioned norms and was ridiculed heavily for it. And all we hear during this epidemic is the advice he pioneered.
Good post.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
While I highly question the total number of COVID-19 infections in China due to lack of transparency or testing, it’s pretty f*cking sad that we are destined to eclipse their number here in the US in less than a week!

We may have been deceived in the beginning stages, but anyone with a brain could see there was something of high concern developing in January. If this had been addressed appropriately by all countries, this could have remained an epidemic as opposed to the pandemic that it is.

AnabolicGuru

AnabolicGuru

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Just curious as if it happens it would really suck! Would have to have a set of dumbbells delivered to work out for the months the gym would be closed down!
Yup the La Fitness that I work at closed about a week ago and were scheduled to re-open on April 1st. Now they just emailed all the employees saying that it’s getting pushed back further. In the email they say “we do not anticipate the furloughs to last well beyond May 1, 2020, but we will have to follow all government guidelines.” But towards the end of the email they also say “Our current expectation is that we’d reopen prior to June 30.” So basically they didn’t give an exact date, but we probably wont be re-opening until anywhere from May 1st-June30th. Im assuming a lot of other gyms will do similar which sucks.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
unbelievable...I just saw that on their 'wish list' democrats threw in a raise for themselves.

benjamfzb

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
"Buff gym dudes" on youtube have diy tutorial for benches and power racks

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

yea brother, excellent points well made.

modelling in the UK has shown there is a point at which the economic impact and subsequent human impact outweighs the human impact of the virus.

however, one point I also feel is valid is the change in habits that may occur within a 3 month period of ‘lockdown’

for example, I personally believe that companies will invest in tech for home working which will lead to a massive increase in this past any restrictions.

I also believe that online shopping, which was already growing massively, will explode and never return, as those who’d held out previously are forced to adapt.

As people we will naturally reduce unnecessary contact with others post restrictions, probably sub consciously because it will simply be the norm by then

all these things will naturally help to slow future outbreaks of the virus allowing healthcare systems to cope better.

so personally I expect a 3 month heavily restricted period followed by some lesser restrictions which combined with the above will keep a handle on it whilst allowing the economy to somewhat return to normal.

mase1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Gyms and supplements will take a big hit as majority of people will realize they need neither to look the way they do.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
Gyms and supplements will take a big hit as majority of people will realize they need neither to look the way they do.
I believe this is true for some decent aesthetics...

I filled a backpack with about 30 lbs of books and have been doing push ups at different angles to failire...my chest is growing

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
gyms maybe...but I think the supplement market will boom-once they are proven safe and not tainted by Chinese manufacturers.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
gyms maybe...but I think the supplement market will boom-once they are proven safe and not tainted by Chinese manufacturers.
i think gyms will suffer as so many people (in the uk anyway) have brought home gym equipment. 3 months is a decent time to get used to training at home and it’s way more convenient and quicker. I think a lot of people will carry it on (especially if we have periods of enforced closures etc over the next year)

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
i think gyms will suffer as so many people (in the uk anyway) have brought home gym equipment. 3 months is a decent time to get used to training at home and it’s way more convenient and quicker. I think a lot of people will carry it on (especially if we have periods of enforced closures etc over the next year)
I agree gyms are going to suffer, but not supplements.

benjamfzb

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
For sure

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
yea brother, excellent points well made.

modelling in the UK has shown there is a point at which the economic impact and subsequent human impact outweighs the human impact of the virus.

however, one point I also feel is valid is the change in habits that may occur within a 3 month period of ‘lockdown’

for example, I personally believe that companies will invest in tech for home working which will lead to a massive increase in this past any restrictions.

I also believe that online shopping, which was already growing massively, will explode and never return, as those who’d held out previously are forced to adapt.

As people we will naturally reduce unnecessary contact with others post restrictions, probably sub consciously because it will simply be the norm by then

all these things will naturally help to slow future outbreaks of the virus allowing healthcare systems to cope better.

so personally I expect a 3 month heavily restricted period followed by some lesser restrictions which combined with the above will keep a handle on it whilst allowing the economy to somewhat return to normal.
Just so you know - your posts about your experiences in the UK have heavily influenced me to become more cautious.

Seeing it happening once can be written off. Two times, less so. 3 for 3...come on now.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Well, things hit the next level overnight at my hospital. Three positive cases within 24 hrs- which are our first. Also, one of my fellow RT’s toddler tested positive- so he is self quarantined and will be tested himself once symptomatic and/or a few more days have passed.

Many more people are coming in for rule outs too. Would you believe they wanted me to wear a surgical face mask if I was required to go in the rooms of the confirmed positive cases or rule outs. I refused, and said “If I am not provided with an N95 and am expected to go in these rooms, I refuse to work here!“

They subsequently brought a handful of N95 masks to the unit.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Those NP95 masks are only good for 5 uses as well... my brother in Chicago is a Fireman, and they issued him one. He had to find out on his own. He had to wait in line in his car for 2 hours to get one, along with all first responders.

I had no idea either.
I guess a mask is better than no mask.

Whisky

Whisky

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Public Health E
Well, things hit the next level overnight at my hospital. Three positive cases within 24 hrs- which are our first. Also, one of my fellow RT’s toddler tested positive- so he is self quarantined and will be tested himself once symptomatic and/or a few more days have passed.

Many more people are coming in for rule outs too. Would you believe they wanted me to wear a surgical face mask if I was required to go in the rooms of the confirmed positive cases or rule outs. I refused, and said “If I am not provided with an N95 and am expected to go in these rooms, I refuse to work here!“

Public Health England have said that it’s not necessary to wear a N95 with suspected cases, full PPE is only donned for confirmed. This is not because it’s not needed, it’s because we don’t have enough of the PPE and they don’t want to run too short when increasing numbers of patients are creating a higher viral load for medics (the level of exposure makes this much more dangerous for medics)......

UK Gov is trying to order more but massive question marks over how successful or timely that will be

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
At some point it would maybe be cheaper to just use a self-contained oxygen setup in these situations.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My wife had drawn blood from a couple last evening, and on their way out apparently they said, they just flew in from NY. A nurse overheard them and was livid. She asked if they know there is a mandatory 2 week quarantine in flying in from NY. They answered, "Yes". She let them have it. She told my wife to wipe down anywhere they may have touched and everywhere else.

F*cking selfish people. They didn't need their blood tested! It wasn't an emergency like some others that come to the lab, and she makes special arrangements for people with Asthma or high risk before their arrival.

I really am not liking the Human Race very much right now.

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
My wife had drawn blood from a couple last evening, and on their way out apparently they said, they just flew in from NY. A nurse overheard them and was livid. She asked if they know there is a mandatory 2 week quarantine in flying in from NY. They answered, "Yes". She let them have it. She told my wife to wipe down anywhere they may have touched and everywhere else.

F*cking selfish people. They didn't need their blood tested! It wasn't an emergency like some others that come to the lab, and she makes special arrangements for people with Asthma or high risk before their arrival.

They are foolish. Especially when they are prosecuting cases against people. The nurse could have called the police and they would be in deep crap if they turned out to have it...

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Public Health E

Public Health England have said that it’s not necessary to wear a N95 with suspected cases, full PPE is only donned for confirmed. This is not because it’s not needed, it’s because we don’t have enough of the PPE and they don’t want to run too short when increasing numbers of patients are creating a higher viral load for medics (the level of exposure makes this much more dangerous for medics)......

UK Gov is trying to order more but massive question marks over how successful or timely that will be
Exactly...same here, but only because they have bent the rules by a longshot. Ultimately, I’m not going to put myself, my fellow coworkers, other patients I see throughout the hospital, and people in my household at greater risk if I can avoid it. Unfortunately, it’s kind of like any every man for himself type attitude in that regard right now.

Ironically, hazardous exposure is nowhere to be found in my job description. They will be hearing about that too, as they continue to offer us zero compensation for what we have and will be going through.

EMS personnel certainly need them too. W all deserve to be properly equipped,l

BOSSMAN

BOSSMAN

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Exactly...same here, but only because they have bent the rules by a longshot. Ultimately, I’m not going to put myself, my fellow coworkers, other patients I see throughout the hospital, and people in my household at greater risk if I can avoid it. Unfortunately, it’s kind of like any every man for himself type attitude in that regard right now.

Ironically, hazardous exposure is nowhere to be found in my job description. They will be hearing about that too, as they continue to offer us zero compensation for what we have and will be going through.

EMS personnel certainly need them too. W all deserve to be properly equipped,l
That's terrible man, and thanks for your service!!
My wife is in dialysis. They just received a 10% salary increase until the pandemic is over along with a permanent 2$ an hour raise. No dollar amount is comparable to her staying healthy but it was a great gesture by her company.
Stay safe man!!

Mathb33

Mathb33

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer

And here is why all the positivism goes down the toilet! Humans are so disappointing...

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
democrats snuck in $350,000,000 of our tax payer money on 'MIGRATION AND REFUGEE ASSISTANCE'.

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
democrats snuck in $350,000,000 of our tax payer money on 'MIGRATION AND REFUGEE ASSISTANCE'.
I’ve always been a bit confused how one can want completely open borders AND massive social spending/programs/safety-nets. It just doesn’t seem sustainable to have both. If you have a more open border and less social programs, or stricter immigration but more social programs (so citizens/residents will get a lot of help if they fall on hard times, but are unlikely to be a burden on the system except for during times of unforeseen unfortunate circumstances), it seems more sustainable than letting anyone and everyone in and paying for all of their college and whatnot. Granted, I’m oversimplifying things a bit to illustrate a point, but still.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I’ve always been a bit confused how one can want completely open borders AND massive social spending/programs/safety-nets. It just doesn’t seem sustainable to have both. If you have a more open border and less social programs, or stricter immigration but more social programs (so citizens/residents will get a lot of help if they fall on hard times, but are unlikely to be a burden on the system except for during times of unforeseen unfortunate circumstances), it seems more sustainable than letting anyone and everyone in and paying for all of their college and whatnot. Granted, I’m oversimplifying things a bit to illustrate a point, but still.
I predict 30% unemployment or higher before this is over....time to get SERIOUS about the border, there will be a scarcity of jobs for AMERICANS.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I predict 30% unemployment or higher before this is over....time to get SERIOUS about the border, there will be a scarcity of jobs for AMERICANS.
Completely agree....make that wall bigger!!!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
I'm tired of hearing about a wall.
It's not effective against anything.

You want effective?
Just put up a fence with land mines if you want effective, then signs in Spanish saying.
"Minas Terrestres"

Then, populate the Rio Grande with crocodiles, and Piraña.
Nobody will cross the border away from designated areas.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I'm tired of hearing about a wall.
It's not effective against anything.

You want effective?
Just put up a fence with land mines if you want effective, then signs in Spanish saying.
"Minas Terrestres"

Then, populate the Rio Grande with crocodiles, and Piraña.
Nobody will cross the border away from designated areas.
WHATEVER IT TAKES!!!

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
The Dems are crying about the wall, and he wants a fence with land mines...lmao

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
I just read that most latin American countries have taken measures to prevent spread of covid 19, but mexico is business as usual....this has me concerned.

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
It's trending on twitter USA USA USA! We're #1... yeah.
First it was a Democratic Hoax... next, it's a real pandemic causing world wide panic and death...

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
This was the undertone of the press briefing today. While it’s entirely plausible there is already a large percentage of the population infected that is asymptomatic, I’m not so sure we can take much comfort in that yet. So far, worst case scenarios have more closely reflected what is actually happening, and we haven’t even seen the peak yet. I think they are jumping ahead of themselves and I am sure Governor Cuomo would agree.

COVID-19 is a badass mofo!

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
thankfully trump shut down flights from china...even though democrats called him a racist for doing so-eh?
If only we had been much more strict with our borders early in the game. It didn't do us any favors to let people into our country that traveled from China to a secondary location, and then to the US. It was still an open invitation in my mind.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
Still doubling every 4 days (R=1.25). In a month that would mean 3/4 million dead, which sounds crazy. Gotta see some results from this quarantine and federal shut down start to flatten the curve. Because right now it's still going straight up.

NY is bad enough. 4 hot spots in the country now. Imagine if it becomes 10 or 20 states peaking at the same time?!? I still have friends in Florida not taking this seriously.

ELROCK

ELROCK

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote

The toddler tested positive?!?