Anyone worried if Corona virus keeps spreading the gyms will shut down?

DrChicken

Awards
  • First Up Vote
If there was a gym that basically said "we will remain open, and any paying member is welcome, but all bets are off and you come at your own risk" Id be there like a muthafukker
Let’s just say my gym in Chicago is still open... for now

I’m training until they force it to shut down tbh

And also it’s privately owned so it’s way less than the “limit “ of ten people.
Yesterday we had maybe 8 ppl in a two level 4000 sq foot gym

HIT4ME

HIT4ME

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
cough" agenda "cough" ulterior motive cough"

When did they ever care about our health? I don't know how I feel but risking my health over a virus? Or living under martial law?
I get where you're coming from - but looking out for the safety of a population does not, in any way, suggest altruistic motives. It's always an economics equation. You have to look at the big picture here.

For one - if we loose a million lives, that is going to have a huge impact on the economy. It actually would be a pressure for inflation (less workers = less unemployment = more inflation). But there are bigger economic impacts.

I really believe that most of the people who are thinking this is overblown are focused on the mentality of, "I'm not afraid of getting sick."

But that is foolish because it isn't about the fact that healthy people won't get sick. It is about the fact that we will have a hospital system that is swamped with the sick people. So, great, you aren't going to stay home. You are driving to the gym and get into a car accident...guess what happens when you show up at the hospital and need a ventilator? Looks like you're SOL. But you were healthy and never got sick. Oh, and you won't be one of the X number of people who died from the virus. You will just die because of the virus tangentially.

This could be the very thing that takes out Obamacare for good.

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
and there goes my gym .. just bought some hands .. park workouts starts monday :)

GQdaLEGEND

GQdaLEGEND

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Wow, did you not have hands up till now?
nope .. i have like 5 diff memberships through my insurance .. so i know the big name ones closed but the local one was the last one to do

DrChicken

Awards
  • First Up Vote
I get where you're coming from - but looking out for the safety of a population does not, in any way, suggest altruistic motives. It's always an economics equation. You have to look at the big picture here.

For one - if we loose a million lives, that is going to have a huge impact on the economy. It actually would be a pressure for inflation (less workers = less unemployment = more inflation). But there are bigger economic impacts.

I really believe that most of the people who are thinking this is overblown are focused on the mentality of, "I'm not afraid of getting sick."

But that is foolish because it isn't about the fact that healthy people won't get sick. It is about the fact that we will have a hospital system that is swamped with the sick people. So, great, you aren't going to stay home. You are driving to the gym and get into a car accident...guess what happens when you show up at the hospital and need a ventilator? Looks like you're SOL. But you were healthy and never got sick. Oh, and you won't be one of the X number of people who died from the virus. You will just die because of the virus tangentially.

This could be the very thing that takes out Obamacare for good.
I hope it does take out Obamacare

Obamacare was trash

Just to be clear I’m not hoping this thing tanks the economy further than it has (although we know the SPY and Dow Jones are going to keep falling)

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
View attachment 192315

Google “Imperial College in London Covid-19 report” for the full document referenced in this post.
IMG_6776.JPG

Follow up post from my post yesterday (quoted here for ease of comparison). Much more positive outlook this time, assuming we as a majority follow the social distancing precautions.

BamBam54

BamBam54

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
The key here is not to overwhelm the hospitals (and the doctors and nurses manning them) while we try and throttle back the rate of infection until enough Americans get exposed to induce herd immunity.

Easier said than done though. NY will be our worse case scenario while we figure this out. Little Italy. Fagedaboudit.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
ok, everywhere I look business's are closed...drive by sun factory tanning and the lot is packed...??????????????

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Stupid gonna stupid.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
What are you guys planning to support gains as best as possible in the mean time? I was thinking of Ignit3 and BMP. Ignite to keep fat off and BMP to hold onto muscle.

For immune system, I'm eating loads of mushrooms and smoothies with loads of greens w/ ginger and lastly molecular hydrogen.
I'm Eating healthy and doing some basic exercises with 1 power move per day, minus the eating healthy.

maximillia

maximillia

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
is there any point living without the gym? Time to get my rusty old weights out the shed
No, there isn't. I got some basic equipment off amazon. Good enough for now. The gain train never stops and will never stop.

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
anyone heard anything about mail delivery being shutdown?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Connecticut declared all non essential businesses to close. At least that's what I was told.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Gyms are closed...But all the “unhealthy restaurants” have take-out and the fast food chains drive-thrus are open, cars a mile long.

Funny how staying fit and healthy isn’t essential but eating garbage and not knowing how to cook is fine...

People coming in and out of restaurants for their takeout, and the possibility of infected cooks...Has to be worse than the typical regular gym crowd.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Gyms are closed...But all the “unhealthy restaurants” have take-out and the fast food chains drive-thrus are open, cars a mile long.

Funny how staying fit and healthy isn’t essential but eating garbage and not knowing how to cook is fine...

People coming in and out of restaurants for their takeout, and the possibility of infected cooks...Has to be worse than the typical regular gym crowd.
Because take out and drive thru limits spread and food is essential to life. Even **** food. At a gym which is non essential, too many ppl gather in 1 room. I get where you coming from but I also get the decision to close gyms. Even tho I'm not happy about it

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Because take out and drive thru limits spread and food is essential to life. Even **** food. At a gym which is non essential, too many ppl gather in 1 room. I get where you coming from but I also get the decision to close gyms. Even tho I'm not happy about it
plus the grocery store shelves are practically empty....krogers meat section was cleaned out!!!!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
plus the grocery store shelves are practically empty....krogers meat section was cleaned out!!!!
Yes, food is getting scares. Not too bad but heading that way. It's made me reformulate my goals almost solely on food selection

thebigt

thebigt

Legend
Awards
  • Best Answer
  • The BigT Award
  • Established
  • Legend!
  • RockStar
  • First Up Vote
Yes, food is getting scares. Not too bad but heading that way. It's made me reformulate my goals almost solely on food selection
grocery stores rely on trucks...I've heard the truck stops have been closed?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Lots of places doing this, but I can’t imagine mail being non-essential TBH.
Apparently grocery stores, gas stations, pharmacy and hardware store are essential.

Also the package store because there is a risk of bad alcoholics getting sick and ending up in the er. As crazy as that sounds it's probably a good idea to keep the package stores open because people would go insane and start robbing every closed store with booze.

jswain34

jswain34

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I got an email from fedex saying they consider themselves essential and they dont plan on closing so i figure usps and ups feel similarly.

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
In my area, the food shortage in grocery stores has been explained as the supply simply can’t meet the acute demand. The problem isn't an availability issue for the store, it just goes so quickly due to ongoing panic buying that they can’t keep the shelves stocked.

Last edited:
Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
In my area, the food shortage in grocery stores has been explained as the supply simply can’t meet the acute demand. The problem isn't an availability issue for the the store, it just goes so quickly due to ongoing panic buying that they can’t keep the shelves stocked.
I figure that is everywhere

Ricky10

Ricky10

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer

Much like many of the idiots that live in my neighborhood... swarming the pool.
Selfish morons. 3 weeks ago, I'd just have called them morons.

Paging Dr. Cholera; Dr. Pink Eye; Dr. Covid...
It’s only a matter of time until the reality of this has them scared shytless. In the meantime, their ignorance is disgusting. It’s a slap in the face to those people who are putting themselves directly at risk, and those people doing their part to stay isolated.

Here in Maine, I have been very impressed with my community. Many places are closed, but we don’t have any sort of mandatory stay at home order. However, people are taking personal responsibility and are staying at home anyway- definitely part of that is fear driven though too.

Anyone else happen to hear about the Fusco family? Scary!

A New Jersey family has been devastated by the COVID-19 coronavirus. Four members of the family have died, and three others are hospitalized, with two in critical condition. Officials believe that the Fusco family was exposed to the coronavirus during a dinner party on March 10.

Last edited:
BigGame84

BigGame84

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
A lot of gym goers will end up gaining weight and may see some of the progress they made in the gym go away. They also now are out of the routine of going to the gym on a daily basis. Only the mentally strong will survive!

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I'm Eating healthy and doing some basic exercises with 1 power move per day, minus the eating healthy.
I just got my shipment of adjustable 200 pound dumbbells in the mail along with a weight bench. Felt like I was a prisoner at first exercising in my cell since the room I do it in is VERY small and already had a desk and computer and treadmill in it making it seem even more tiny. After awhile working out though it felt real good to actually be able to lift again and forget about everything else for an hour or hour and a half. Exercise equipment is selling out everywhere. When I was looking I called Play It Again Sports and the guy answered the phone we are out of weights before I even asked!

justhere4comm

justhere4comm

Banned
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Vanderbilt University Medical Center in Nashville has set up the PARKING GARAGE for intake and treatment.

Rad83

Rad83

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I just got my shipment of adjustable 200 pound dumbbells in the mail along with a weight bench. Felt like I was a prisoner at first exercising in my cell since the room I do it in is VERY small and already had a desk and computer and treadmill in it making it seem even more tiny. After awhile working out though it felt real good to actually be able to lift again and forget about everything else for an hour or hour and a half. Exercise equipment is selling out everywhere. When I was looking I called Play It Again Sports and the guy answered the phone we are out of weights before I even asked!
Play it again, classic store!

Take that home gym outside backyard or driveway...Blast some tunes while a steak cooks on the grill🥩 ...Now thats livin!

muscleupcrohn

muscleupcrohn

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
You mean DBs that go up to 200lbs between them (100lbs each), or that they each go up to 200lbs?

CroLifter

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
A lot of gym goers will end up gaining weight and may see some of the progress they made in the gym go away. They also now are out of the routine of going to the gym on a daily basis. Only the mentally strong will survive!
This should be the last concern. For us who have been working out for years there is a thing called muscle memory.

keep doing pullups, pushups, dips, bodyweight rows...if you have some weights great. You will lose hardly anything so IF we get out of this (wont matter if we dont of course) you will be back on track very fast.

And besides, a short 6-8 week cycle will get me looking juicy again if my physique deteriorates too much for my liking 😂😂

JoePaul39

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
You mean DBs that go up to 200lbs between them (100lbs each), or that they each go up to 200lbs?
I wish they went up to 200 each man!! They are 200 pounds when you combine BOTH of them together and they can be adjusted to as small at total of 10 pounds. 200 pounds is the maximum I could find from any manufacturer.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I have a bit of stuff and more on the way. It's all old stuff in a dungeon of a basement but coming together nicely. 300lbs of plates, plus some extra chains and bands, couple dumbells from 20-35, couple cables and a treadmill.

I will be making some heavier dumbbells out of concrete and rebar. And some Farmer Walk things too. Also got a old tractor tire from my buddies junk yard on the way