Anyone seriously Meditate?

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
I would like to get into meditation and enjoy a better quality of life but I have no idea where to even start. Can someone point me in the right direction? What's worked fantastic in your life? Thanks in advance...

I've also tried and struck out w sensory deprivation tanks. I'm sure they do wonders when they're installed correctly in quiet atmospheres but every place that offers them in my area have them in noisey locations, one was even below a dance studio. Even w ear plugs it was torture.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I would like to get into meditation and enjoy a better quality of life but I have no idea where to even start. Can someone point me in the right direction? What's worked fantastic in your life? Thanks in advance...

I've also tried and struck out w sensory deprivation tanks. I'm sure they do wonders when they're installed correctly in quiet atmospheres but every place that offers them in my area have them in noisey locations, one was even below a dance studio. Even w ear plugs it was torture.
The flesh begets flesh, and spirit begets spirit. I recommend biblical meditation. And what I mean by biblical meditation is not sitting down quietly, humming, but reading a verse, or portion of scripture, and thinking on it, truly desiring God to give you revelation, understanding, that is not natural, but supernatural. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the word of God.

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
The flesh begets flesh, and spirit begets spirit. I recommend biblical meditation. And what I mean by biblical meditation is not sitting down quietly, humming, but reading a verse, or portion of scripture, and thinking on it, truly desiring God to give you revelation, understanding, that is not natural, but supernatural. Faith comes by hearing, and hearing the word of God.
Amen

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
try it then talk ****. sounds interesting to me
His comment was unnecessary, but Telling someone who's not religious or interested in it to try religious meditation is not going to do anything.

We all know religion and politics don't go over well most of the time. If you have a particular religion or faith then using that for meditation will probably be extremely helpful. But if your not into that then it's not going to help. But, you could probably apply the same principles to other forms of meditation. I'm not a very religious person and I can still see that being very helpful

Iwilleattuna

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Best Answer
Calling someone out for spreading the gospel ? The gospel secures ones faith and brings inner peace, prayer, spirituality, etc. All of which meditation is meant to help . I guess we do live in a Godless world

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Calling someone out for spreading the gospel ? The gospel secures ones faith and brings inner peace, prayer, spirituality, etc. All of which meditation is meant to help . I guess we do live in a Godless world
I’d beg to differ. I feel way more at peace now that I’ve gotten away from religion.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!

There was a Buddhist monk who went to meditate inside of a box and they put him down in a hole and he said not to bother him for 75 years, 75 years later they went to get him and guess what, it was estimated that he had been dead for 75 years lol. But at least there was no way anything could interrupt him or break his concentration. .... Just sayin

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
There is so much out there and I have little time so in for good suggestions. I can see value in the religious Bc in my mind a deep meditation sounds like some what if a religious experience, but I don’t know Im there in a set thing.

Long winded way of subbing to the thread.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
There is so much out there and I have little time so in for good suggestions. I can see value in the religious Bc in my mind a deep meditation sounds like some what if a religious experience, but I don’t know Im there in a set thing.

Long winded way of subbing to the thread.
Coming from someone who's not good at meditating and is quickly distracted, me lol....

Ive yet to understand how ppl can get in the zone with meditation, but, when I have any luck or get a decent session in, these 3 things always are in play.

1. I'm home alone

2. The lights are off or very dim

3. I am wearing headphones, either noise cancelling ones just to block out some sound or I'm listening to a guided meditation.

When those 3 things line up I do "ok" as opposed to me being interrupted or irritated by outside sounds ruining the experience before it starts.

rob112

rob112

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Coming from someone who's not good at meditating and is quickly distracted, me lol....

Ive yet to understand how ppl can get in the zone with meditation, but, when I have any luck or get a decent session in, these 3 things always are in play.

1. I'm home alone

2. The lights are off or very dim

3. I am wearing headphones, either noise cancelling ones just to block out some sound or I'm listening to a guided meditation.

When those 3 things line up I do "ok" as opposed to me being interrupted or irritated by outside sounds ruining the experience before it starts.
Makes sense to limit outside distractions…hmm I’d likely have to try at night. Thanks for the input

MikeSumthin

MikeSumthin

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
What are you using for guided meditation?

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ive been using the HeadSpace app for a couple of years and ive enjoyed it. Im definately no Yogi yet, but I do feel like it helps me. I mainly use it post workout to try to activate the parasympathetic nervous system faster and before bed if Im feeling in the wrong state of mind for sleeping.

Im sure you dont need an app or anything if you want to do it on your own. But ive found it very helpful in understanding what meditation is and does.

Jeremyk1

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ive been using the HeadSpace app for a couple of years and ive enjoyed it. Im definately no Yogi yet, but I do feel like it helps me. I mainly use it post workout to try to activate the parasympathetic nervous system faster and before bed if Im feeling in the wrong state of mind for sleeping.

Im sure you dont need an app or anything if you want to do it on your own. But ive found it very helpful in understanding what meditation is and does.
I tried one of the apps, it might have been headspace, I don’t remember. I just listened before bed, and I don’t think I ever finished a session. I always fell asleep before it was over. I might need to try that again.

ValiantThor08

ValiantThor08

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Religion is at best a crutch and at worst a mental illness.
You are right, any religion where you obey and keep the precepts of men is horrible. Now faith, everyone has faith in something.