anyone get better mind muscle connection while listening to classical music?

rbrooks

rbrooks

Awards
Nope. Jock Rock only. Give me some Slipknot of 5FDP for lifting, which is funny because I don't listen to that much outside the gym.

Machine Head too, but I love them all around.

tooshort4life

Banned
Awards
I like upbeat metal before I lift to get psyched, but prefer silence while I lift. Everyone's different though.
being psyched tenses up the musculature. being less tense when lifting helps with focus ect.

GreenEarth

GreenEarth

Awards
I prefer being psyched up. I also prefer classical music. Strongly disagree with the notion that classical music cannot psyche you up.

Don't want to go into a long post here, but if anyone wants suggestion as to what they might enjoy listening to during lifting from a classical-perspective, I'm all for offering some up :) I just graduated in May with my Bachelor's of Music with an interest in theory, particularly the Romantic era of music (1800-1890). I switch between classical music and punk (broad scope, I know) depending on how I feel on a certain day, but I've definitely had some benchmark workouts listening to classical.

Just to start the discussion (will probably end quickly), I find that string quartets are particularly condusive to lifting...I think a lot of it has to do with how specifically composers have to treat texture when they only have 4 instruments which always must support each other to work with. Notable quartets I work out to on a semi-regular basis: Ravel's F-Major String Quartet; Beethoven's String Quartet No. 14 in C#-Minor; Schubert's String Quartet No. 15 in G Major.

Ravel is from the impressionist era, but both Beethoven and Schubert are romantic era. The C#-Minor Quartet is actually the most dissonant that exists within the romantic era (despite being composed pretty early on), so its ridiculous chromaticism and modulation lend to a really good lifting session. Schubert actually composed his 15th as a reaction to hearing Beethoven's 14th, so it makes sense that I enjoy that one as well lol. Finally, Ravel's just has great themes for lifting. The climax in the first movement would be my go-to for setting deadlift PRs (if you're into that sort of thing), and the pizzicato of the second movement is just enjoyable to listen to. Third movement is a bit of a somber guy (and long), but the fourth is ridiculously intense, and a great finisher for a workout:

[video=youtube;f7loz_Y5iOo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7loz_Y5iOo[/video]

I'm also a HUGE fan of symphonies, so if anyone would like recommendations towards those I'd be more than willing. Usually I'd make a gigantic post with all of my favorites that I've studies over the last four years, but I feel like if there's no real interest, I'll be wasting my time a bit lol.

Forever the only music major on AnabolicMinds :(

doggy_dog

doggy_dog

Awards
I'll have to try it out and see.

Usually train in silence.

16dawg23

16dawg23

Awards
my mp3 is full of metal,slayer,over kill,priest, some times that dosen't work, for what ever reason. grateful dead is my band. i put on some dead and i just feel really clear.....yeah...i dont get it eather.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
being psyched tenses up the musculature. being less tense when lifting helps with focus ect.
Full-body tightness is a must if you want to get stronger. Go into a big lift loose and you will fail.

tooshort4life

Banned
Awards
Full-body tightness is a must if you want to get stronger. Go into a big lift loose and you will fail.
that's not what i mean. I'm saying reasons outside of the lift itself for tension is a bad thing... For example lifting ehile stressed and tense leads to form issues sometimes.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
that's not what i mean. I'm saying reasons outside of the lift itself for tension is a bad thing... For example lifting ehile stressed and tense leads to form issues sometimes.
Lifting relieves stress...

I'm convinced you just like to talk out of your ass or should I say that your words are coming up just a bit...wait for it...short.

huxley309

huxley309

Awards
  • Established
Well technically not classical, this ALWAYS fires me up.

Though in most cases, it's progressive trance for me, just the right bpm for steady state cardio.

Can't be burning off that muscle after all.

Edit - Can't post links, just look for this on YouTube.

Epic Music Mix IV - Two Steps From Hell

tooshort4life

Banned
Awards
Well technically not classical, this ALWAYS fires me up.

Though in most cases, it's progressive trance for me, just the right bpm for steady state cardio.

Can't be burning off that muscle after all.

Edit - Can't post links, just look for this on YouTube.

Epic Music Mix IV - Two Steps From Hell
high tempo is good for cardio, not lifting. i have a shoulder issue and i find that classical helps me concentrate on form. prior to this i got shoulder and back pain. i dont anymore (for the most part). if i sleep like ****, my form suffers as well.

huxley309

huxley309

Awards
  • Established
high tempo is good for cardio, not lifting. i have a shoulder issue and i find that classical helps me concentrate on form. prior to this i got shoulder and back pain. i dont anymore (for the most part). if i sleep like ****, my form suffers as well.
Absolutely, it's what i use when im on the xtrainer.

I usually have some more general music choices, once i hit the weights.

I never put any diana krall on. Nice as it is, her voice always sends me to sleep.