Anyone ever ran Mike Mentzer heavy duty program?

hercules_22

hercules_22

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Training once every 4 days. 1-2 working sets per exercise taken to muscle failure.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Mentzer never really trained like that. He started writing those programs later on in his life when he was smoking meth and shooting up pain killers. Personally I need way more volume and frequency, I couldn't even maintain progress on that.

There's lots of old-school guys from that Era that said mentzer was in the gym 2+ hours a day

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
If you are looking for higher intensity programming like that, I think Dorian Yates had a little better approach to it. He would do multiple exercises but 1 massive set to failure after multiple warm up sets. I did well with this type of training for a while. I think it works REALLY well when you have been doing the higher end of volume for a while and then switch to it. Then after a while of this swapping back and visa versa.

hercules_22

hercules_22

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
If you are looking for higher intensity programming like that, I think Dorian Yates had a little better approach to it. He would do multiple exercises but 1 massive set to failure after multiple warm up sets. I did well with this type of training for a while. I think it works REALLY well when you have been doing the higher end of volume for a while and then switch to it. Then after a while of this swapping back and visa versa.
Yeah I've been doing a lot of high volume training. 12-15 rep range 2-3 working sets. I was on a weird mixed split 4 days upper lower then two full body days. So this will definitely be a change in pace. I tweaked day one to fit what's more available at the gym I go to.

Today's workout
DB Pec fly 6 to 10 s/s Smith Incline Press 1-3 reps o fail
Straight arm pulldown s/s close grip pulldown 6 to 10 to fail
Bent over row (5 to 8 reps to fail)
Decline push-ups to fail

All after a good Warmup shoulder mobility what not.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
I plan on doing it for like 8 weeks. But I couldn't fathom not training the same area for like 12 days. The program I found is attached. Tempo for all exercises will be 4240
Ya that looks crazy to me. I seem to have found I need to train most body parts 2× week regardless of if its High volume or high intensity.

I also am leaning more twords volume training lately cus I'm starting to feel more aches and pains and I also train solo most of the time. It's really hard For me to train to failure solo because the hit failure the weight would have to be failing on top of me. I do still go to failure sometimes but lately its failure on machines and cables and volume with free weights

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yeah I've been doing a lot of high volume training. 12-15 rep range 2-3 working sets. I was on a weird mixed split 4 days upper lower then two full body days. So this will definitely be a change in pace. I tweaked day one to fit what's more available at the gym I go to.

Today's workout
DB Pec fly 6 to 10 s/s Smith Incline Press 1-3 reps o fail
Straight arm pulldown s/s close grip pulldown 6 to 10 to fail
Bent over row (5 to 8 reps to fail)
Decline push-ups to fail

All after a good Warmup shoulder mobility what not.
Did you feel like it was a good workout or did you feel like you needed more

J

Jstrong20

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
If your looking for low volume high intensity I would look into dc training. A lot of people really liked it a few years back.

hercules_22

hercules_22

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Did you feel like it was a good workout or did you feel like you needed more
Surprisingly enough the pump was crazy. I was working on machine machine so the failure rep was more manageable and it was upper body. We will see how the other days gonI my have to fine tune it because ai train solo and the gym I'm at is like a basic commercial gym so not much space and gets packed.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Yea
Surprisingly enough the pump was crazy. I was working on machine machine so the failure rep was more manageable and it was upper body. We will see how the other days gonI my have to fine tune it because ai train solo and the gym I'm at is like a basic commercial gym so not much space and gets packed.
h Super Sets are hard in a gym like that. Tons of studies have shown that 1 maximum effort set to failure is very close in results to 3x10 high effort but sub maximal IE no failure. Obviously though people who do high volume tend to get a lot more sets than just 3 in per body part per muscle group a week.

Another High intensity Workout that I would put up there with DC Training is DR. Scott Stevenson's Fortitude training. Although it requires jumping around from one exercise to the other that is not conducive to a busy commercial gym unless you have a couple people training together saving the equipment for the next person.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
You can't tell here but the chest was pumped haha excuse my dad rolls...
You must be really ripped when you don't think you have Dad rolls. Looking good man!

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
People already said what I was going to say, lol.

I tried some type of Mentzer heavy duty programming way back, but also did the Yate's style approach and found it better. DC has been the best high intesity programming for me though.

Ever since I moved to training every body part twice a week years ago, I've never went back to only once a week frequency. The last 5-10 years I've trained everything 2 or 3 times a week (some times even more).

hercules_22

hercules_22

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
You must be really ripped when you don't think you have Dad rolls. Looking good man!
Man I appreciate that I keep saying I am going to get back to stage ready but too much life going on right now. One day though.

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Man I appreciate that I keep saying I am going to get back to stage ready but too much life going on right now. One day though.
I keep telling myself I'm gonna fight again before I'm too old but I just keep getting older lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I keep telling myself I'm gonna fight again before I'm too old but I just keep getting older lol
Yep, and if you bulk like you plan to, you are gonna be fighting some monsters. Don't build it up and then try to diet down to 180 again!

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Yep, and if you bulk like you plan to, you are gonna be fighting some monsters. Don't build it up and then try to diet down to 180 again!
I'm really just trying to get back in the groove more then anything. Those 2 weeks or whatever that I was sick I went from 215-218 to 202 and now back to 209. I really don't think I can ever get to 178 again. Even last time I had to stop lifting weights and loose muscle.
The good thing about fighting is there's catch weights and you can pick your opponents to a degree. I just gotta find another guy pushing 40 around 200lbs who hasn't fought in over a decade lol

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
I'm really just trying to get back in the groove more then anything. Those 2 weeks or whatever that I was sick I went from 215-218 to 202 and now back to 209. I really don't think I can ever get to 178 again. Even last time I had to stop lifting weights and loose muscle.
The good thing about fighting is there's catch weights and you can pick your opponents to a degree. I just gotta find another guy pushing 40 around 200lbs who hasn't fought in over a decade lol
Well if that's all it should be easy! :p

J

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I've used high intensity phases over the years. In the last few years, I've performed high intensity training for several months during my maintenance phases. As a type 1 diabetic, I really see a difference in blood glucose levels, they drop significantly over the course of the phase.
I'll perform 2 high intensity phases per year.
I'll also perform the traditional high volume, high food approach as well when training with my son.

hercules_22

hercules_22

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
Shoooot pushing 40. That's not old man 40 is the new 30 that's atleast what I keep telling myself since I'm approaching the other side of my 30s

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Shoooot pushing 40. That's not old man 40 is the new 30 that's atleast what I keep telling myself since I'm approaching the other side of my 30s
40 is young, but not for fighting sports

I turned 38 last month, I'm the strongest I've ever Bern in my life and probably at my peak in weight lifting performance. But wrestling and boxing I'm probably 15 years past my peak. I got some friends who are Around my age you still fight and one of them. In particular is still a ranked bellator fighter, He actually got his ranking back recently. Came out of retirement And one 3 in a row. But when you been training for the last 15years and still fighting its a lot different then taking 15 years off and starting over lol.

J

jmero2

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I wish I was 40... I'm turning 52 in June.

hercules_22

hercules_22

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Established
40 is young, but not for fighting sports

I turned 38 last month, I'm the strongest I've ever Bern in my life and probably at my peak in weight lifting performance. But wrestling and boxing I'm probably 15 years past my peak. I got some friends who are Around my age you still fight and one of them. In particular is still a ranked bellator fighter, He actually got his ranking back recently. Came out of retirement And one 3 in a row. But when you been training for the last 15years and still fighting its a lot different then taking 15 years off and starting over lol.
Yeah I have much respect to all the fighters and boxers out there. The type of training to get conditioned for a fight is crazy. Also it takes cojones to get in the ring or cage with someone who is trying to take your head off. Respect 💪🏿

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I did Mike Mentzers High Intensity training way back in the day. I remember getting insanely strong on just those supersets, but it didnt result in any noticeable muscle gain.

That being said i do really enjoy Mentzer for what he was. I have many times listened to one of his seminars or phone conversations while training. This is a great Youtube channel to watch if you really wanna go deep on him

John Little - YouTube

Personally im a high volume guy by heart, I just love training. But the last year ive had issues with recovery. So ive been looking into high intensity workout routines. I was thinking about doing Mike Menters's Heavy Duty, but I ended up on DC (which ive also done in the past with GREAT success). Im logging my training here:

Also there has been a lot of talk about volume and intensity among more known trainers the last couple of years. A norwegian coach Børge Fagerli did a couple of really interesting posts about it recently:

http://instagr.am/p/Co9lCNjojYb/

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I did Mike Mentzers High Intensity training way back in the day. I remember getting insanely strong on just those supersets, but it didnt result in any noticeable muscle gain.

That being said i do really enjoy Mentzer for what he was. I have many times listened to one of his seminars or phone conversations while training. This is a great Youtube channel to watch if you really wanna go deep on him

John Little - YouTube

Personally im a high volume guy by heart, I just love training. But the last year ive had issues with recovery. So ive been looking into high intensity workout routines. I was thinking about doing Mike Menters's Heavy Duty, but I ended up on DC (which ive also done in the past with GREAT success). Im logging my training here:

Also there has been a lot of talk about volume and intensity among more known trainers the last couple of years. A norwegian coach Børge Fagerli did a couple of really interesting posts about it recently:

http://instagr.am/p/Co9lCNjojYb/
Haven’t kept up with Borge super recently. Anyone have a screenshot of the post I don’t have social media so I can’t see 😞

KvanH

KvanH

Awards
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • Established
  • RockStar
Haven’t kept up with Borge super recently. Anyone have a screenshot of the post I don’t have social media so I can’t see 😞
I don't have an IG account either, but it still lets me read it. Did you try opening the link?

Sent you a PM.

Last edited:
R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
I don't have an IG account either, but it still lets me read it. Did you try opening the link?

Sent you a PM.
Ya it asks me to continue with Facebook or log in. It’s been doing that to me lately when anyone sends me Instagram links so I’m blind.

I appreciate the help.

TheMrMuscle

TheMrMuscle

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
Ya it asks me to continue with Facebook or log in. It’s been doing that to me lately when anyone sends me Instagram links so I’m blind.

I appreciate the help.
I bought his new program "The last program you'll ever need" before christmas and its basically a high intensity/low volume program. Here is the post i linked:

R

Resolve10

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
Ya pretty sweet he’s been offering some cool stuff over the years. I’ve done my share of Myo rep and similar work since being introduced to it.

MrKleen73

MrKleen73

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • Best Answer
  • First Up Vote
Ya pretty sweet he’s been offering some cool stuff over the years. I’ve done my share of Myo rep and similar work since being introduced to it.
Yeah, when I saw his name I was like MYO-REPS!!!! I really enjoyed that protocol too!