Any Good Threads for Lifting Cues?

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Hi Everyone,

In the last six months, I have done little exercise, other than walking. I am just so busy with work, often 14 hour days.

I have always had terrible posture, pelvic tilts, tight muscles, etc.

Then, today, I remembered Craig Ballantyne had a series called "Turbulence Training." He said to "think of a coin between the buttcheeks" to activate glutes.

I did that with kettelbell swings. I could do maybe 1/3 of the volume and intensity, but noticed things got so much better.

I always endeavored to focus on more form than weight. But, only today did I see what a dramatic difference that made.

Any other YouTube videos, etc. on the best form, best cues?

I know the experts always say "if you use top notch form, you build quicker than you ever thought possible." To me, I always thought things were more lackluster, until now.

Any other tips?

Smont

Smont

Legend
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Mountain dog is the channel that use to be john meadows. There are a ton of videos that will say best exercises for back or chest or whatever. Watch those and he demonstrates and explains proper Technique.

But.... when your saying you havnt been lifting much but your looking for tips...... You're putting the horse before the carriag.You can't do an exercise properly if you're not doing them at all.

Worrying about Form and cues and techniques, even worring About something as small as sets and reps, none of those things are important if your not consistant witj weight training in the first place. This type of thinking usually leads to paralysis by analysis. Ppl spend more time looking then doing

ucimigrate

Awards
  • Established
Very good advice:

- Mountain Dog/John Meadows
- "Train First, Then Worry About Fine Tuning"

I did 5*5 Bench and Squat Today. I feel good!

More days like this to come.

UCSMiami

UCSMiami

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I started out watching Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Youtube videos- how to bench, how to squat. Taught very well what to focus on. I thought it was very well done. And I learned never to copy what I see others do at the gym. So much bad form there.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
This is an old German training routine..
10x10..
Ten sets of ten...
I use this exclusively for chest..flat or inclined..
I used to do the same weight all Ten..
But as I get stronger, I add weight then chains..
Now that's the s***...
Takes me about 4 weeks and I'm strong as a Bull..
If I didn't have these Medical issues..well I'd be Huge again..
Chains are an amazing way to push through stall points..they will teach you to control you form..lol
Z...

Cheeky Monkey

Cheeky Monkey

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I would just slow the movement. Lift the weight up slowly for maybe 4-5 seconds, hold it for a second, and then slowly descent 4-5 seconds, hold it at the bottom 1 second and repeat. Prevents injury, strain, reduces momentum, esablishes mind muscle link etc.

PhantomReaper

PhantomReaper

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Don't getting Testosterone poisoning..LOL
That's what some of us used to call it, yrs ago..!!
It's when everything starts hitting and you feel absolutely Great..
Then you throw caution to the Wind and start bumping it up way too fast..and an injury or worse..
Slow and Easy..but Smart..!!
That's a hard lesson you can Avoid..
Z...